Start by marking “Wait for the Rain” as Want to Read:
Wait for the Rain

Read Book

Wait for the Rain

Daphne White is staring down the barrel of forty—and is distraught at what she sees. Her ex-husband is getting remarried, her teenage daughter hardly needs her anymore, and the career she once dreamed about has somehow slipped from her grasp. She’s almost lost sight of the spirited and optimistic young woman she used to be.

As she heads off to a Caribbean island to mark the
Published February 24th 2015 by Lake Union Publishing

To ask other readers questions about Wait for the Rain, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Wait for the Rain

Jasmine from How Useful It Is
Apr 12, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: netgalley
About: Wait for the Rain is a women’s fiction novel written by Maria Murnane. It was published on 2/24/15 by Lake Union Publishing, an imprint of Amazon Publishing, 281 pages. The genres are women’s fiction, chic lit, and romance. The author recently published a new book called Bridges and it follows the main character from this book. Maria Murnane has written many books, of which, Katwalk was one of my favorites, but then, Katwalk was the only book I have read until this.

My Experience: I start
Amy
Jun 18, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: ebook
All of my reviews can be found on www.novelgossip.com

What a fun, feel good read this one was! It was light and easy, ideal for a summer read. I flew through this in a few hours and loved the escape it provided as I followed three woman on an exotic vacation.

What I loved most about this book was how realistic is was. From the conversations between Daphne, KC and Skylar to the situations they found themselves in, everything was so relatable and authentic. The book focuses on their trip as they re
Obsidian
Mar 24, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
So when I first read the description of this book, my first thought was, okay it's How Stella Got Her Groove Back with just Caucasian characters. Heck I loved that book by Terry McMillian and for the most part have loved/liked most of Ms. Murnane's other books so thought I give this a whirl. I have to say I was pleasantly surprised.

The main character, Daphne, is about to turn forty and with that she is feeling like a lot of her life has been wasted. Married for more than half of her life, she i
Elle's Book Blog
Nov 29, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: womens-fiction
Release Date: February 24, 2015
Genre: Women's Fiction

Wait for the Rain by Maria Murnane is a great women's fiction novel and I found it to be both comforting and uplifting. The characters- Daphne specifically- are relatable, especially for women who are at crossroads in their life. Now, even though I don't feel this way myself, I still felt how authentic the story is and can see it playing out in real life.

If your looking for a light read, one that will make you smile and just feel good, I
Mar 18, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Loved this book! This was my first time reading Maria Murnane and I am now a huge fan. This novel tells the story of three college friends stealing away to the Caribbean to celebrate turning 40. Daphne is divorced and lives with her 15-year-old daughter in Columbus. Skylar is single and busy executive living in New York. KC is happily married and an exercise freak living in California. Daphne tries to hide how much she is still hurting over her divorce, but not long into their vacation, she open ...more
Anna
Aug 01, 2017 rated it really liked it
Maria Murnane’s Wait for the Rain is a delightful tale about friendship, growing older, and rediscovering yourself as other responsibilities emerge over time and consume your life. Daphne White feels like a failure following her divorce, and focusing on her daughter has kept her afloat. But Emma is 15 now and doesn’t need her mother the way she once did. And her ex-husband has moved on and is getting remarried. These are the burdens Daphne carries when she arrives on the Caribbean island of St. ...more
Melissa (Kersey)  Corbeil
It has been awhile since a novel struck such a deep cord with me.
I think of this as a coming of age novel. I know we normally view coming of age as being for teenagers, however, we come of age at any milestone throughout our lives.
Daphne is turning 40. To celebrate, she is meeting her best friends from college for a few days in paradise. In the beginning, we see Daphne is a shell of the woman she once was. Having been divorced for just over 2 years, she has learned her husband is remarrying. Her
Leah
Feb 24, 2015 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
3.5
I liked this so much. But, according to the Goodreads rating system, it isn't a 4 star because I didn't LOVE it.
But, only for one reason. (And do not let my silly opinion deter you from reading it.) Some of the dialogue between the characters did not feel natural to me. And while I know a KC, a Skylar, and I am often a Daphne.....I had a hard time believing people talk to each other like they did. It's such a small thing. And yet, it happened enough to pull me out of the story.
(It is also po
Andi
Feb 20, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
As usual, I really enjoyed Murnane's work, especially since it was a realistic and fun depiction of how it feels to turn 40, a subject that isn't covered in most of the books about women that I've read. I did think that at moments the plot was a little forced, but overall, I really enjoyed reading about these three friends and watching them become honest with themselves and each other. Definitely a fun read.
Lauren
Jun 27, 2017 rated it liked it
A long time ago I read and enjoyed Perfect on Paper and It's a Waverly Life, two of Maria Murnane's earlier books. So when the chance came up to read Wait for the Rain, the first book from her new series, I jumped at the chance, especially given the fact that it contained a tropical setting - living in Northeast PA I find that any opportunity to vicariously live through the travels of others hooks me. Luckily, Wait for the Rain was a fun as well as romantic read, and more importantly, it introdu ...more
Laurel-Rain
Apr 27, 2017 rated it it was amazing

As she heads off to a Caribbean island to mark the new decade with her best friends from college, Daphne’s in anything but the mood to celebrate. But when she meets Clay Hanso
Lori Palmer (Palmer's Page Turners)
What a fantastic read! After reading my review of The Year We Turned Forty, Maria reached out to me to read this book and her upcoming novel Bridges, which features the same characters. Boy am I glad she did! I thoroughly enjoyed the book from beginning to end and was hooked right from the beginning.

I loved the characters! I want to be friends with Daphne, Skylar and KC in real life! I related to all three of them in one way or another. How fun to take a tropical vacation with your best friends!
Cheryl
Mar 13, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I am familiar with this author's Waverly Bryson series. I did see some of that same humor in this book. Skylar and KC are the best of friends that any woman could ask for. They had each other's back including Daphne's and they were like ying and yang. So between the three women they were the perfect balance. I loved that not only Daphne but all three women opened up and showed their fun personalities. I loved them all so much that I wanted to be a part of their group.

Daphne and Clay were charmi
Teena in Toronto
Mar 02, 2017 rated it really liked it
Daphne is a couple days away from turning forty. She and her ex-husband split up two years ago and he's now engaged to get married again. Their daughter is in her teens and doesn't need her much anymore. Daphne had had dreams of being a successful journalist but ended up devoting her life to being a wife and mom and working part-time in a flower shop. She's in a rut and feels like life is passing her by.

To celebrate turning forty, Daphne, KC and Skylar, her two best friends from university, go o
Shannon Reilly
Feb 12, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: cant-wait-2015
Loved it! Per usual, Maria Murnane does not disappoint. I love how much I feel like I can relate to her books no matter what the setting/ age/ problem is that is happening in the book. This book just reminds me that it is more important than ever for my best friends and I to continue our yearly tropical vacation, especially when we love far apart. Can't wait for the next read!
Michelle
Listened via audiobook.

3 and 1/2 stars.

A good story about a woman who lost herself in marriage and motherhood. I loved seeing her find that she is still the same person and needs to refocus on what she needs after divorce.
Tracy
Oct 25, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Relateable

This book touches a vein if you've been through something that makes you forget you. I enjoyed the lighthearted comedy and the strong connections.
Michelle
Mar 03, 2015 rated it liked it
This book was ok but I had a more difficult time getting into this book. It did explain things about previous characters and was good in the end, I just had more trouble sticking with it.
NAomi davis
May 28, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Great

I loved the development of the story. So glad Daphne had a good time. The friend ship was so strong.
Jessica Higgins
Sep 12, 2017 rated it really liked it
A refreshing look at turning forty when life hasn’t gone as planned.

Daphne White has not lived the life she planned. She graduated with honors from Northwestern University in journalism and was ready to set the world on fire while winning a Pulitzer in the process. Then she met Brian, slight sidetrack in plans but she was in love. A few short months later brought a new daughter, Emma into her life. Then she made the decision to be a stay at home mom and put her dreams on hold. Fifteen years late
MillsyLovesBooks
Jul 18, 2017 rated it really liked it
Maria Murnane is a new to me author, i was drawn to the beautiful eye catching cover and was looking forward to delving into Daphne's life. Wait for the Rain was a feel good fun, light read. Perfect getaway summer read about the lives and loves of three fabulous friends.

Daphne is turning forty, her Ex is moving on with his life getting remarried. Her teenage daughter is making her feel that she not needed as much. She's some what lost and at a point in her life that she needs to make changes. To
Sammie Porter
Aug 31, 2018 rated it it was ok
Not a good fit for me

To start on a positive note...each character is well delineated and someone you feel you've already met in real life. Each has their own, abundantly clear voice. It was a "take" on How Stella Got Her Groove Back. However, Daphne, the main character is entirely too whiny for my taste. She shows no "gratitude" for the abundance in her life. Beautiful house, healthy daughter, herself in good shape AND a fantastic vacation. Her workaholic friend Skyler is clearly an alcoholic, o
T. Beasley
Aug 22, 2017 rated it really liked it
Wait for the Rain by Maria Murnane brings to mind a girl’s trip of rediscovery, especially after meeting the characters in this book. The main character, Daphne is going through a rough time since her divorce and with her ex-husband decided to remarry. Daphne needs a change so she takes a vacation with her college friends to the Caribbean to celebrate they are turning forty. Daphne’s luck changes after meeting Clay Hansen, a handsome man to make her forget all the issues she left at home. Clay i ...more
Sue
Dec 17, 2017 rated it really liked it
Everyone has goals in life that they plan to meet by the time they are 40. The three friends in this book had goals and this book is written in the pov of Daphne who felt like she had fallen far short of her goals especially when compared to her friends.

Daphne has plans to meet her two best friends KC and Skylar at an island in the Caribbean. Even though they kept in touch, this was the first time they'd seen each other in ten years. At first Daphne tries to keep her disappointments in her life
Stacie
Mar 01, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fiction, chick-lit, 2017
I was gifted a copy of the book by the author but that in no way shapes my review. Trust me, if I don't like it, you'll know.

As someone who turns 40 next year, I totally get Daphne. Things she said I've said or thought and I completely get not being where you thought you'd be by a certain milestone. I think that's the sign of a good character. One that you read and say I know you, I am you! I see the book labeled as a romance and while sure, there are undertones of romance, I'd say it is more of
Jennibritt
Oct 05, 2018 rated it liked it
How Daphne Got Her Groove Back

A recently divorced woman travels to a beautiful tropical island with her two best friends since college to celebrate turning forty. I was aggravated the first half of this book and really wanted to Gibbs head slap the main character but with the help of her friends she ended the almost never ending pity party she was throwing. I loved the KC character and wish I had friends like her and Skyler in real.life. If you are in need of a wick beach read i think I would re
Christine Ottaway
Nov 23, 2017 rated it really liked it
I wanted to read a book by Maria Murname because I enjoy her blogs on writing and find them very helpful. She certainly puts all her advice into practise. The book was well written, the characters plausible and funny. It really worked.
However the only down side is that I really do not enjoy the topic of ladies turning 40 finding themselves. Three ladies going to the Caribbean and having fun especially with younger men is just not my scene. Sorry.
If you like this sort of thing - it is great read.
Sheila
Mar 01, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Absolutely Loved

I absolutely loved this book. The characters were relatable and I know someone in my life like each of them. It was interesting to follow Daphne's changing perspective of both herself and life.
Tracy
Jul 20, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: chick-lit, kindle
Book by the author of the very cute Waverly Bryson series.

It wasn't as good as the series, which I enjoyed. This one was about a sad solitary recently divorced woman on a girls trip whose life is just not going so good. Kind of formulaic but reasonably quick read.
Alicia Vega
Apr 05, 2019 rated it did not like it
Not my cup of tea.

You'll find a meaningful line here and there, but for the most part it was a boring read about three shallow women with very little morals. Couldn't wait to finish it! If you applaud one night stands like these women do, then this is the book for you.
« previous 1 3 4 next »

• Flirting with Forever (Everson, Texas, #3)
  • Kiss Me, I'm Home (Tennessee Waltz #3)
  • Mr. January
  • Detecting Danger (Capitol K-9 Unit #5)
  • Home Sweet Home (Sweet, Texas, #.5)
  • Throw Like a Woman
  • Stealing Mr. Right (Penelope Blue, #1)
  • Blush (In Vino Veritas, #1)
  • His Second-Chance Family (The Women of Brambleberry House, #2)
  • A Love to Call Her Own (Tallgrass, #3)
  • Saving Mercy (Fatal Truth #1)
  • Love and Other Subjects
  • Curtain Call (CageVec Security, #1)
  • Arm Candy:  A Celebrity Escort's Tales From The Red Carpet
  • Of Love & Regret (Madison & Logan, #1)
  • Kat Fight
  • Rough Rider (Hot Cowboy Nights, #2)
  • Hope Breaks
The way Maria became an author is a little crazy. She used to work in high-tech PR but hated it, so one day she quit and ended up playing semi-pro soccer in Argentina for a year. While she was down there she decided to write a novel, which was something she'd always dreamed of doing. Fast forward a few years and she's now the best-selling author of Perfect on Paper, It's a Waverly Life, Honey on Y ...more
“KC’s face was ashen. She was shaking.” 0 likes