Start by marking “YOLO Juliet (OMG Shakespeare)” as Want to Read:
YOLO Juliet (OMG Shakespeare)

YOLO Juliet

(OMG Shakespeare)

Romeo and Juliet, one of the greatest love stories ever told . . . in texts?!

Imagine: What if those star-crossed lovers Romeo and Juliet had smartphones? A classic is reborn in this fun and funny adaptation of one of Shakespeare’s most famous plays!

Two families at war.
A boy and a girl in love.
A secret marriage gone oh-so-wrong.

and h8. The classics just got a whole
Published May 26th 2015 by Random House Books for Young Readers

To ask other readers questions about YOLO Juliet, please sign up.
Theresa I usually love Shakespeare spoofs and spin-offs, but I am one of the readers that did strongly dislike this book. I knew that it was going to be in…moreI usually love Shakespeare spoofs and spin-offs, but I am one of the readers that did strongly dislike this book. I knew that it was going to be in text speak and emojis, which seemed funny at first, but the text speak was more in line with how 12 year old girls text each other than older teens or millennials (at least from what I know from my own experiences). Trying to get through it was like the visual equivalent of fingernails on a chalkboard, but that's just me. I still am able to see why other people might like it, so it's not like I'm walking around denouncing it. I do work in a library and a lot of our younger teens that check it out seem to really like it and come back hungry for more.(less)

Start your review of YOLO Juliet (OMG Shakespeare)
Alienor ✘ French Frowner ✘

3.5 stars . Hey now, that was pretty hysterical! Don't take it too seriously, and you should be fine.

JULIET: are you freaking kidding me? great. i'm in love with the one person i can't be in love with. FML.

I am not a teenager, and haven't been for more than 10 years. However, I do believe that we adults often underestimate what teenagers can understand. Damn, I actually think that many people have a pretty low - and inaccurate - esteem of children as well. Before starting this book I read a
Carmen
Sep 04, 2015 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Anyone with a Sense of Humor
Recommended to Carmen by: Barnes and Noble

I found this book cute and also hilarious.

It is a text message retelling of Romeo and Juliet. It is full of YOLO, and FOMO, STFU, and WTF?

There's also hilarious touches like Juliet's mom ending every text message she sends with: "Love, Mom."

ROMEO: I wanna pinch myself. Am I dreaming or is this happening IRL? #truluv #blessed

It's even funnier if you are really familiar with the original play,
Kels
This was incredibly entertaining. Not quite "LOL" funny, but entertaining nonetheless, and I had a lot of fun reading it.

Consider this the abridged, tell-it-like-it-is adaptation of everyone's favorite love story--er, the people who most likely didn't actually read the classic play--Romeo and Juliet. Yolo Juliet is the type of off-the-wall funny that is successful simply because it strips down the play to its bare bones of various degrees of ridiculousness, and allows you to laugh your pants off
Figgy
Ok, now hold on a second, don’t rage quit this review.

Yes, this is the Shakespeare story we’ve all grown up with and most of us studied at school, and yes, this version of it happens to be told in a text message format… BUT once you get into it, and if you remind yourself not to take it too seriously, this can actually be a good bit of fun.
Romeo:
What the duck, Juliet!
The duck.
Ugh! Autocorrect.

Juliet:
heehee. quack, quack.

The rest of this review can be found here!
Nayeli
Aug 04, 2015 rated it liked it
Bottom line: this is funny. Well, I don't think I laughed out loud, but it was certainly amusing. It also gives an interesting glimpse to the evolution of modern English (3rd semester linguistics student here). I had this thought throughout: "this is so bad, but so good". OF COURSE it doesn't make sense that they would be texting in some situations, the status updates and check-ins into places also don't make sense most of the times (Romeo logs check-ins after he's banished!, and even when he's ...more
Licha
May 31, 2015 rated it did not like it
I thought the idea was cute, but this was just really bad. Turns a tragedy into a joke.
Prom
Jun 16, 2015 rated it did not like it
No, I have not read this, nor am I going to.

Why is this even a thing? To cater to the minds of people who can't keep a single sentence in their head for 10 seconds? Oh, or is this art? Is this some other cool thing that I am "to stupid 2 get"?

What a time to be alive.
☣Lynn☣
I hate everything Romeo and Juliet, except the movie with DiCaprio yumm, but this was so much fun. Will have to get the rest of these books.
Gunjan (NerdyBirdie)
To be honest I don’t even know what the eff I’ve just read XD Characters will be dying and WHILE THEY’RE DYING they’ll put out a status update.

This book is just supposed to be a lot of fun. I took a hiatus a few days ago and although I was reading and enjoying a big book it was nice to read through this and laugh at some (ridiculously stupid) things that happen.

Recommended if you want a senseless but funny and ridiculous read! My school library has a bunch of these so you can bet that I’ll be
J & J
Nov 21, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I thought this was hilarious...Shakespeare might be rolling in his grave over this one but I thought it brought more life to the play.
FabulousRaye
Jun 25, 2015 rated it really liked it
I know, I know. I'm getting the side eye for this rating. I nominated this as the September read for my Bad Book Club on FB. It came in second. (LEFT BEHIND won, if you're curious.)

I'm not really that big of a fan of Shakespeare's works. I think being forced to read and analyze them in high school did it. (i'll have to re-read and see if my opinion has changed)

I am not quite "an old". I'm pushing 40. I don't own a smart phone, am lost on some of the emojis and text speak, and don't text too
Selene
Feb 25, 2017 rated it liked it
I read this book (and plan to read the others) because I wanted to know if it was worth recommending to high school students as the content is relevant to their Language Arts curriculum. It also gives a more modern twist on classics. Maybe they will be able to relate more to Shakespeare and appreciate his work.
Diana
Ok, this was cute. It's Shakespeare completely re-told in texts and emojis. I think this would be a great way to introduce younger readers to some of the better-known classics since there are a few different Shakespeare plays and other popular classics. I laughed a few times how they re-wrote certain scenes to make it more modern and could use the emojis to tell the tale. I recommend these and I will be looking for more in this style of re-telling.
Completely Melanie
Jul 24, 2018 rated it it was amazing
These books are just such a fun way to read Shakespeare, and a lot quicker. I remember as a teenager I loved the story of Romeo and Juliet, but as an adult I definitely see the story differently. Now I see Juliet as the typical love struck teen, but Romeo is a grown man that is obsessive and over the top.
Pamela
Jul 14, 2015 rated it liked it
Although Romeo and Juliet is probably the play that most teens would recognize and know the plot of over any other Shakespeare, it's probably his least compelling play. You can really only do so much with a story that's already pretty well-known (at least back then), and star-crossed lovers generally have one outcome. Shakespeare excelled in fleshing out the rest of the story--Juliet's nurse is hilarious, and even Friar Laurence is pretty interesting.

It's no surprise, then, that these characters
Tawney
May 22, 2015 rated it really liked it
These were hilarious books! Now Hamlet and Romeo and Juliet aren’t really comedies. They’re dramas, which may be the reason a lot of teens find them boring. The language can be foreign and drawn out. Sure it was understandable back then but in our present moment it has kids scratching their heads, wondering what the hell is going on.

In comes OMG Shakespeare series. A modern take of Hamlet and Romeo and Juliet with text messages. In a world where most people prefer texting as communication, these
Sharon Mariampillai
One of the greatest love stories ever written, but now in modern texting. In this read, the story is the same just with the Shakespearean words. It was funny because the emojis made the story interesting, but yet it still made me love the relationship between Romeo and Juliet. Great read that will make you LOL. Can't wait to read Hamlet and the other plays such as Macbeth, and A Midsummer's Night Dream.
Lisa
May 30, 2015 rated it really liked it
A mash-up of TTYL & TTFN and Shakespeare's Romeo & Juliet.

Good fun. Glad for the glossary in the back, as this ol' lady didn't know some of the text-happy shortened phrases.

Thanks for loaning me the copy, Kate!
Kitty
May 24, 2015 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2015-release
Update-: Well, that was cute

This sounds hilarious!

Ellie Coombes
Mar 25, 2016 rated it liked it
good - now ready to read Shakespeare's real version
Meredith
Apr 30, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I’ve always been fascinated by Shakespeare’s plays. But, like many, I find them confusing and hard to understand. I’ve taken classes on Shakespeare, purchased “Shakespeare for Dummies,” Googled translations and even watched the movies. But I still have a hard time grasping the language. And Romeo & Juliet is by far one of the most well-known of Shakespeare’s plays. There are so many retellings and adaptions based off it – not to mention the fact that the concept of “star-crossed lovers” ...more
Barbara
It's true: You Only Live Once, and so you need to seize what comes your way. In this modern version of Shakespeare's classic love story, the tale is told completely through text messages and emojis sent through the characters' Smartphones. It's all here: the couple's meeting, their secret marriage, Romeo's banishment, and a letter that is never delivered. The author somehow manages to convey the snarkiness of Juliet's nurse as well as her mother's somewhat flighty nature and Romeo's ...more
Laurel
Shakespeare has been done over and over again, so it's natural that there has to be a text message version out there somewhere right? I received this as a gift today, and finished in about an hour. It's so much fun to read, and I love how Brett Wright gave each of the characters different texting styles (Juliet never uses capital letters, Lady Capulet and Friar Lawrence use text signatures). It's a lot of fun to read and really quick too, so I definitely recommend it.
Alicia
Jan 17, 2016 rated it liked it
I'll give it 3.5 's

Having not read Romeo & Juliet (literally the only was I think I was able to avoid it in high school was because I moved so much) and only knowing a summary of the book entirely, this was okay and totally on my level.

What made this book better, was that the entire time, I read each "text message" in a weird over exaggerating voice in my head. It was a fun quick read.
Jackie Marrs
Jun 17, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: young-adult
Hysterical. Lady Capulet's texts were my favorites.
Anna
Jun 23, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Romeo and Juliet is one of the few Shakespeare plays I haven't enjoyed, but this was hilarious.
Complete piss take of the original and Nurse was sassy as hell. JUST YES.
Nico Pascale
Mar 27, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Brett Wright, the author of the book YOLO Juliet does an amazing job at making Romeo and Juliet teenage friendly and being very creative to make the story relevant for the present time.
The book starts off with a text message going on between Romeo and Benvolio, his cousin. They are talking about how the rival Capulets need to be executed by the Montagues. Instead of following through with this, they think they should sneak into a party that is being hosted by the Capulets. They end up sneaking
Buford
Apr 28, 2017 rated it did not like it
I am an unabashed lover of all things Shakespeare. I read books about him for fun, have acted and directed his plays, and even have a Shakespeare tattoo. I have also been teaching Romeo and Juliet in my freshman English classes for thirteen years, and I haven't grown tired of the beauty of the language and the subtle intricacies of the plot.

However, I have never been so disappointed with an adaptation of his work as this one. I get it. This is how some teenagers communicate with each other, but
Ryan
Oct 31, 2017 rated it liked it
If this is the only way to get kids to read the classics, our future generations are doomed. I have to give the authors some credit for taking a dense and sometimes boring story and making it entertaining. There are times while reading this that I shake my head in despair, and others when i think, okay I find find a use for this. The series must be popular because there is over 6 books, and not just on Shakespeare. Each book take about an hour to read, and I could see where they would increase ...more
Bobbi Benassa
Jan 03, 2018 rated it it was ok
This was a cute, easy read, but that's about all. People have been trying to modernize Romeo and Juliet for quite a while now, and dropping them in the 2010's is far too overdone, which makes this text-formatted retelling feel like more white noise. Without the prose, the story felt extremely shallow, making it honestly not too much of a must-read for me. It felt like something a middle-aged white woman in a jean skirt would think was extremely clever even though she wrote it herself.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 next »

• Darcy Swipes Left (OMG Classics)
  • Greek Gods #squadgoals (OMG Classics)
  • TBH, This Is So Awkward (TBH, #1)
  • The Devil and Harper Lee
  • Camp Echo
  • Metal Skeleton
  • The Girl Next Door
  • Sh*t My President Says: The Illustrated Tweets of Donald J. Trump
  • Under His Spell (My Boyfriend Is a Monster, #4)
  • Made for Each Other (My Boyfriend Is a Monster, #2)
  • Un cadavre en cavale (Mort et déterré #1)
  • Wherever You Go: How Mindful Travel Can Transform Your Life – and the World
  • The Door
  • The Minor Third (The Magic Misfits, #3)
  • Rock Stars! (National Geographic Kids Chapters)
  • Drug & Drop, Volume 2
  • Drug & Drop, Volume 1
  • Legal Drug Omnibus

OMG Shakespeare (4 books)
  • srsly Hamlet (OMG Shakespeare)
  • Macbeth #killingit (OMG Shakespeare)
  • A Midsummer Night #nofilter (OMG Shakespeare)
“Holy crap. It's Juliet!” 0 likes