Start by marking “Piper Green and the Fairy Tree (Piper Green, #1)” as Want to Read:
Piper Green and the Fairy Tree (Piper Green, #1)

Piper Green and the Fairy Tree

(Piper Green and the Fairy Tree #1)

From award-winning author Ellen Potter comes a charming new chapter book series where kids, lobster boats, and a hint of magic are part of everyday life.

There are three things you should know about Piper Green:
1. She always says what’s on her mind (even when she probably shouldn’t).
2. She rides a lobster boat to school.
3. There is a Fairy Tree in her front yard.

Li
Published August 4th 2015 by Knopf Books for Young Readers

To ask other readers questions about Piper Green and the Fairy Tree, please sign up.
Derek
This answer contains spoilers… (view spoiler)

Mehsi
Well this was a pretty decent start, though I have to say it was a bit too short for my liking. This felt more like one chapter of a story instead of the first book in a series.

Also, I may be the only one, but I thought Erik was dead. With how everyone talked about him, especially Piper, I thought something terrible had happened, but instead Erik just had to move so he could go to high school.

I quite liked Piper, but at times I just found her rude and a bit too weird. Especially towards adults.
Benji Martin
Sep 05, 2015 rated it really liked it
There were several really good, laugh out loud moments. I'm excited to welcome Piper Green into my students' lives.
Pop Bop
Mar 13, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: reviewed
A Bright, Spunky, Interesting Heroine

I first became aware of this book's author, Ellen Potter, a few years ago when I read her book "The Kneebone Boy". I was very much taken by that book. The narrator, one of three siblings, was charming, observant, generous and amusing. There was an awful lot of deadpan humor, and it was one of the few middle grade books I've read that could be described as "droll. Moreover, it was remarkably refreshing to have siblings who worked as a team, who forgave each ot
Matt
What an excellent series for younger readers! The plot kept my daughter and I guessing, the story is realistic with a hint of fantasy, and the precocious main character (Piper) deals with real emotional issues. I wish all early reader series had this much respect for the abilities of younger readers to understand more complex texts. Plus, living on an island and having to take a lobster boat to school sounds fun.
Susan
SO excited about this new series from author, Ellen Potter! Piper is a character that readers will find engaging and the story line is easy to follow, but not over simplistic. I''m looking forward to more installments!
Alex (not a dude) Baugh
Jun 10, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: randomly-reading
If you lived on Peek-a-Boo Island just off the coast of Maine, you would have to take a lobster boat to and from school every day until it was time to go to high school. Then you would have to leave the island and go to boarding school on the mainland.

Now it's the first day of school, and second grader Piper is missing her older brother Erik, who has just started boarding school. To feel closer to him, Piper decides to wear his old monkey earmuffs 24/7, even in school.

New teacher Ms. Arabella m
Barbara
Second grader Piper Green desperately misses her older brother, Erik, who has to live away from the family while attending high school. She decides to wear his earmuffs to remind her of him while he's gone. As if that isn't bad enough, Piper discovers that her new teacher, Ms. Arabella, may look like a fairy princess, but she doesn't sound or look like one. Why, she even insists on giving the class a seating chart, which lands Piper next to someone who always annoys her. If it weren't for her fi ...more
Caryn Caldwell
Jul 10, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Piper Green lives on a remote island off the coast of Maine. When her brother goes away to boarding school, all she has left of him are his earmuffs. She's determined to keep them on day and night, no matter what her parents, friends, and brand new teacher say. But when she discovers a magic tree that requires gifts in order to give favors of its own, she has a choice to make.

This is a sweet start to a new series. The unusual setting is fascinating and very fun to talk about with my five-year-ol
Chris
Jan 09, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Piper Green is in 2nd grade, her younger brother Leo is married to a piece of paper named Michelle and has sticky-note kids, and her older brother Erik, now in high school, spends his week on the mainland to go to high school. They live on a small island off Camden, Maine, and dad is a lobster fisherman. The kids ride a lobster boat to a nearby island to school Piper has a mind of her own...and the story is sweet and quite delightful.
Kate Schwarz
Jan 22, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: early-reader
Cute little early reader--target range is from 7 to 9 years old. Earlier would be even better, I think.

Little Piper is a quirky kid surrounded by other quirky souls on an island in Maine--but kind souls, and it seems like a good place to grow up. Except that for high school, you have to go to the mainland at a boarding school. This is where her big brother Erik just went, and she misses him. But the townsfolk take care of her in sweet ways.

Debra
Another great early chapter book that I will be adding to my class library. Looks like it will be a series. We need more of these early or transitional chapter books that are well written with interesting characters! Terrific for second or third grade independent readers.
Erin Downing
Aug 20, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Quirky and cute. Really fun early chapter book!
Elizabeth  Hamilton Holly
Nov 09, 2018 rated it really liked it
Cathi
Apr 02, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: j-fiction
I had been discussing J fiction with someone and they mentioned this book. Thought I would give it a try to see if I could suggest to some of our little patrons.

Piper Green lives on an island and has to take a lobster boat to school. Missing her older brother who is now in high school and has to live on the mainland she starts second grade herself. She thought she was ready until a new teacher is introduced and things are definitely not how they should be. Deciding to skip school on the second d
Peter Cales
Sep 06, 2017 rated it liked it
Piper Green is a second grader who lives on tiny Peek-a-Boo Island. Because there are only 8 kids who live on the island, she has to take a lobster boat to a small, mixed-grade school on the mainland. Her school year gets off to a rough start when her new teacher, Ms. Arabella demands that Piper remove her earmuffs. The earmuffs provide Piper with comfort because they remind her of her older brother, who recently moved to the mainland for school. Soon, Piper pretends to be sick to avoid school. ...more
Katherine
Nov 25, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: children-s, ya
Piper Green has blond hair, green eyes, and takes a lobster boat to school. She also loves her earmuffs with monkeys on it (Glunkey and Jibs). Piper also misses her older brother, Eric, who is away at school and gave her his earmuffs. Piper will not take the earmuffs off and gets in trouble at school. The next day, she skips school and discovers the fairy tree in her yard and the surprises it holds. Piper Green and the Fairy Tree is a great book to give or read to a child who is missing someone ...more
Amanda Harrison
This was an extremely quick read and would be a good first chapter book for kids who struggle with reading stamina.

The setting provided an interesting detail--who wouldn't like to go to school everyday on a boat that has bakery donuts?

The extreme quick nature of this book meant that little happens in the way of plot. However, I'm glad to see a book that will likely appeal to girl reluctant readers.

Some of the dialogue is extremely odd---while my own children provide a fair bit of their own no
Simone
Jul 18, 2018 rated it did not like it
OK but I don't like how she talks back to the teacher, I don't like recommending books when the kid is disrespectful and that's how I felt early on, with her not taking off the earmuffs and how brazen she seemed. I also didn't like the hiding in the tree. I guess this is a trend nowadays, and I know it goes back to PippiLongstockin days...why do writers need to make the kid so brazen in order to get their point across? I'm a teacher, maybe that's why I read it this way. Oh well, no I won't be bu ...more
Diane
Feb 10, 2018 rated it really liked it
Piper is missing her big brother, who has started high school and, therefore, must live on the mainland. In addition, on her first day of 2nd grade, she finds out that she has a new teacher, Ms. Arabella. And she won't be able to sit next to her best friend, Ruby, but instead will have to sit next to Garth Shield. Yuk! But the final insult is that Ms. Arabella insists that Piper take off Erik's earmuffs that she has been wearing. That's where Piper draws the line ... and that's when her problems ...more
Dierdre
Jun 07, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Lily Aveson
Jun 01, 2018 rated it really liked it
I think that Piper Green is an awesome series with a girl that rides a lobster boat to school and loves adventure. She loves her family and has a fairy tree in her yard. It's an in-between level book that would be good for kids ages 5-9. The series gets even more fun with each new adventure. Piper makes funny decisions that sometimes lead to trouble, but it always works out in the end. It could also be a good read-aloud for younger kids.
Emily
Sep 17, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
I loved this book. Piper has just enough spirit to make her cool and identifiable, but not so much that I find it unbelievable. She acted her age and I loved the setting. The structure of the story was fantastic - everything came together at the end. I will definitely recommend this series to second-grade girls.
Steph
Apr 02, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Talk about a character! This girl is a hoot - and I couldn’t get enough of her!

- - - - -

“Piper, you are a most unusual child,” Dad said.
“Yeah, well, Leo is the one who’s married to a piece of paper named Michelle,” I replied.
Anne Meester
Nov 11, 2018 rated it really liked it
Cute, heartwarming, and unique (the Maine setting is really neat!).
The Book Girl (Andrea)
May 08, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I love this series. Review to come!
Lydia
Feb 07, 2019 rated it really liked it
Cute series for younger elementary age
Stephanie Boyle
May 06, 2018 rated it it was amazing
A great replacement for Junie B. Jones.
Beth
Aug 20, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 3rd-grade
What a cute story! I think a lot of kids will really enjoy reading about Piper Green.
April
Dec 13, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Greatest book. I read it after my cute 8 year old did. She read it in 1 day and loved it and so did I. We will read more together.
Kay Mcaloney
Sep 17, 2018 rated it really liked it
Cute chapter book for a second to fourth grader.
  • Leroy Ninker Saddles Up (Tales from Deckawoo Drive, #1)
  • The Infamous Ratsos (The Infamous Ratsos, #1)
  • Tales of Bunjitsu Bunny (Bunjitsu Bunny #1)
  • Lulu and the Duck in the Park (Lulu, #1)
  • Jelly Bean (Shelter Pet Squad, #1)
  • Princess Cora and the Crocodile
  • Juana & Lucas
  • Like Carrot Juice on a Cupcake (Eleanor, #3)
  • Dory and the Real True Friend
  • Lulu's Mysterious Mission (Lulu, #3)
  • Lola Levine Is Not Mean!
  • Fergus and Zeke
  • King & Kayla and the Case of the Missing Dog Treats (King & Kayla, #1)
  • Pigsticks and Harold and the Incredible Journey
  • The Story of Diva and Flea
  • Beatrice Zinker, Upside Down Thinker
  • Anna, Banana, and the Friendship Split (Anna, Banana, #1)
  • Waylon! One Awesome Thing (Waylon! Book 1)
Ellen Potter is the author of many children's books, including the Olivia Kidney series, Pish Posh, SLOB, and The Kneebone Boy. Her non-fiction book, Spilling Ink; a Young Writer’s Handbook, was co-authored by Anne Mazer

Olivia Kidney was awarded Child magazine’s “Best Children’s Book Award” and was selected as one of the “Books of the Year” by Parenting magazine.

SLOB is on more than 10 state book

Piper Green and the Fairy Tree (5 books)
  • Too Much Good Luck (Piper Green, #2)
  • The Sea Pony (Piper Green, #3)
  • Going Places (Piper Green, #4)
  • Pie Girl (Piper Green, #5)