Start by marking “Miramont's Ghost” as Want to Read:
Miramont's Ghost

Miramont's Ghost

3.35  ·  Rating details ·  15,665 ratings  ·  1,673 reviews
Miramont Castle, built in 1897 and mysteriously abandoned three years later, is home to many secrets. Only one person knows the truth: Adrienne Beauvier, granddaughter of the Comte de Challembelles and cousin to the man who built the castle.

Clairvoyant from the time she could talk, Adrienne’s visions show her the secrets of those around her. When her visions begin to revea
Published February 1st 2015 by Lake Union Publishing

To ask other readers questions about Miramont's Ghost, please sign up.
This question contains spoilers… (view spoiler)
Adrianspeeder
This answer contains spoilers… (view spoiler)

·  15,665 ratings  ·  1,673 reviews

Rob Slaven
Jan 02, 2015 rated it really liked it
I chose those book as my Kindle First selection for the month of January. As I'm reading I'll jot down my thoughts so that you'll hopefully have better information as you make your selection.

After 89 pages, I'm keenly intrigued. The book begins in France in the year 1884 when our heroine is a small girl. The book is lush with description without being overly ponderous and the characters are richly and fully depicted. I feel a deep visceral dislike for several of them and a real kinship with othe
Carrie
I read this book as part of my 2015 reading challenge- a book published this year (2015)

This was a horrible book. Although the premise was interesting, the plot was terrible. The characters were one dimensional and not remotely likable. I had hoped that the ending would at least moderately redeem things, but that was not the case. I'm sure there will be many excellent books published this year, this book is sadly not one of them.
D. Hilliard
Feb 12, 2015 rated it liked it
Let me start by saying this has to be the lowest score I have ever given to such a well written book. The author does a fantastic job of putting us into the setting of 19th century France and then America. If it weren't for a couple of issues involving the main character, and then the story as a whole, I would rate this a 4.5 to 5 star effort. The characterization was excellent, even if the main character sometimes frustrated the hell out of me.

The thing is that I realize the author was working
Alicia
Jan 02, 2015 rated it really liked it
If you're looking for a story that will make your heart break for the main character, a story that is sad and has epic levels of misfortune befall a young, innocent girl, then Miramont's Ghost is your book.

I read reviews that said Miramont's Ghost was similar to Rebecca, that it was haunting and dark. Those reviews were true.

This story opens with the youth and optimism of a young, four year old Adrienne who lives in the beautiful French countryside and is spoiled by her Grandfather. We're quic
Becky
I got this book for free from Kindle First, a program which I think is going the way of the Dodo, at least for me. It seems that they're all indy (read: Amazon published, but just not through KDP) and self-published (KDP) books. And free is great, but these books just don't do it for me. Out of the 8 that I've downloaded, this is only the second I've actually gotten around to reading, and I haven't enjoyed either one of them.

This book just drags. It's full of lame, boring, cardboard characters
Lori Wentzel
Jan 02, 2015 rated it it was ok
Started out well

This author has talent. Sadly by the middle of the book I had lost interest due to the unrelenting gloom. I had to skip to the end. I don't need a happy ending however I could figure out where this was going and could not deal with the pain of getting there. Again the writer has a great talent but could not hold me until the end.
Anne Jindra
Jan 12, 2015 rated it did not like it
You will never get the time back you spend reading this disaster of a book.

This book starts out as a quaint story about a likeable young girl's coming of age. After the death of the family's patriarch, however, the story completely derails. By the time I realized how awful this book was, it was too late and I was too invested to give up. I kept thinking there would be some miraculous plot twist to redeem the ridiculous story line. The miracle never came. Instead of substance, the author wove a
Valerie
This review can also be read at Witch, Wine & Words

It took far more alcohol than I want to admit to get through that book.

The story had potential, true, but it had potential in the way that Jane Eyre had potential over 150 years ago - except Jane Eyre lived up to it's potential.

Miramont's Ghost, essentially, failed.

Let's start with the most glaring issue. Yeah, it may be a spoiler, but I'd rather "spoil" this than have some unsuspecting reader stumble upon this with no advance warning: the r
Emily
Jan 06, 2015 rated it did not like it
Shelves: abandoned
Giving up at 48%. Awful prose (just came across "the trees were thickening, like a woman in the early stages of pregnancy") flat characters and literally NOTHING has happened for the first half of the book. Kindle First you have let me down.
Cath
Jan 20, 2015 rated it did not like it
First of all, I appreciate that it's difficult to put your work out there for all to see only to have someone like me come along and tear into it but I'm afraid there is very little about this book I liked. In fact in the end I hated it.

I downloaded this as one of my Amazon preview choices for January. It was the comparison to Rebecca that drew me to it. Let me say, that comparison is ridiculous. If you love Rebecca do not read this book. You'll be disappointed.

It just felt like I was being take
Trilby
Jan 20, 2015 rated it did not like it
Amanda Sinor
Jan 27, 2015 rated it liked it
I honestly don't know what to think.

Rating this was impossible. If I could give two separate ratings, boy would that be easier. First 3/4 of the story a definite five stars, the ending I'd give two. I'll try to explain. The writing is beautiful, very descriptive to the point of feeling whisked away to France in the late 1800's. But after a few chapters things slowly start to get depressing, and then more depressing, then to the point where you want to yell,"Come on! SOMETHING good has to happen!
Tifa
Jan 14, 2015 rated it did not like it
Melodie
If you like your ghost stories extremely dark and gloomy, this one is for you.Set first in France circa 1884. A precocious young girl, Adrienne has visions. At the tender age of 5,she gets excited about these stories and shares them,making her an object of curiosity to some and fear to others.
Adrienne obviously does not live in a vacuum. She is a member of a noble family with dark history. Her grandmother died under mysterious circumstances, her Aunt Marie is a recurring terrifying subject in
Krista Howland
Feb 01, 2015 rated it it was ok
Linda Curry
Jan 02, 2015 rated it it was ok
I usually enjoy historical fiction a lot and this book starts off very well. As the book progresses, it slows to a crawl and the plot line is obvious before it should be. The ending is especially disappointing - it changes from historical fiction to total fiction.
Kelly Gunderman
Feb 01, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I received an e-book copy of this book from the publisher through NetGalley in exchange for an honest review.

I went into this book blind. I read what it was about, I knew it sounded good, and I was excited to read it. I didn't read any of the reviews, and by the time I picked this up to read it, I had completely forgotten what the book was supposed to be about. I figured, in all honesty, it was going to be about a haunted castle or something, and I was pretty excited.

Well, that isn't what it is
Mary
Jan 27, 2015 rated it did not like it

This review contains "SPOILERS" but read it anyway and save yourself some time.

This was a whole lot of nothing much, supposedly based on historical fact. The main character, Adrienne, is clearly a dimwit, as she allows herself to be essentially kidnaped by her evil aunt Marie and carried off to America where she at first is forced to work as a servant and then is apparently left to her own devices until she kills herself. Having grown up knowing that Marie is not a nice person, it is surprising
Stacy
Feb 02, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
I loved this book! It's one of those books that makes you stay up way past your bedtime, simply because you can't bear to put it down. Thoughts of the story creep into your day and you can't wait to get home and pick up your Kindle to find out what happens next.
At turns grim and beautiful, sorrowful and ecstatic, 'Miramont's Ghost' is a page turner that keeps the reader completely enthralled. The ending....WOW. I am seriously debating whether or not to read it all over again, just so I can exper
Jan 06, 2015 rated it it was amazing
highly recommended

It's tragic and fascinating. I want to visit the castle in Colorado! I'm sure it's as beautiful as the book describes
Angie
Jun 07, 2015 rated it it was ok
Shelves: audiobooks
2.5 stars...

I really hate giving out 2 stars to books, but sometimes it is, unfortunately, necessary. This book was not what I had hoped it would be. To start off, it's not a really a ghost story. So, if you are looking for that look somewhere else. As far as the main storyline, I think I could've stomached the book and even given it a 3 or 3.5 if not for the unrelenting gloom. Literally, there is nothing but sadness and darkness here. If you like that in a book, then you might really enjoy this
MitchL
Jan 03, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I loved this! I loved the darkness of it, the morbidness and the tragedy! This is a story that taunts the heart, accomplishes instant interest; a fantastic haunting!

It opens with little Adrienne. She lives in France, is indulged by her generous Grandfather. Here we see her visions, the difficulties of her family, which set the stage for a sad tale!

From being a little girl to a mature adult, we see Adrienne's well-developed character, showing the abilities of the author, who excels in creating
Jacky
Jan 04, 2015 rated it did not like it
UGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH (view spoiler) ...more
Lori Eddlemon
Jan 24, 2015 rated it really liked it
I really enjoy a dark and gloomy book on occasion.
Bridgette
Jan 26, 2015 rated it liked it
MIRAMONT’S GHOST was creepy! It has all the elements typical of a gothic novel: big house/mansion, isolated heroine who doesn’t “belong” to the house (e.g. servant, governess, etc.), weather used to convey tone, elements of the supernatural, etc. The protagonist, Adrienne, has been clairvoyant since she was born. As she gets older, she becomes more and more isolated as she tries to hide her clairvoyance from everyone to avoid scandal and gossip. She ends up going to America with her Aunt Marie t ...more
David
Feb 03, 2015 rated it did not like it
Shelves: books-i-hated
Mercifully, I chose Miramont's Ghost as one of my "Kindle First" selections, and it was thus free of charge, because this was absolute drivel, and if anything, is a testament to why there is still a need for established publishers to weed out the trash from novels that might ostensibly be good. Granted, there are exceptions (Hugh Howey comes to mind), but Elizabeth Hall is CERTAINLY no Hugh Howey. The characters are utterly bland, one-dimensional, and wholly unlikable, even the protagonist. This ...more
Karen B.
Mar 07, 2015 rated it did not like it
Very depressing

While I must admit that the author did fine job with the writing craft, I can't give this more than one star. I sat down to read what I thought would be an interesting ghost story, it pained me to read something that recounted one sad incident after another. I liked the main character and so I felt her pain, especially once I realized that nothing was going to get better for her. But I also felt pain for the author when I read the Afterward. I was shocked to learn that part of the
Darcia Helle
The premise for this story intrigued me, but it just didn't seem to go anywhere. The pace is slow, painfully so at times. The plot, like the characters, has a tendency to wallow in its own tormented weight.

The characters are all drowning in misery. No one is happy, everyone has major secrets, and they all behave as if their situation is an unalterable life sentence. If you're looking for even the slightest bit of respite from unhappiness, you will not find it within these pages.

The writing its
Traci
This kind of fell flat to me around the time Adrienne ended up in America. I realize it's kind of working under some unique historical constraints, but I think the constraints sort of worked against it--things in the plot which could have given this book a little bit more life were kind of hand-waved and it just disappointed me a little more than it probably should have.

I would have liked to see Adrienne do something a little more proactive to help her situation, for example.

With that said thoug
Ashley A Claffy
Jan 03, 2015 rated it it was ok
Never quite got there

Had high hopes and an interesting set up but it fell flat in the middle and end. I was left disappointed.
2015 Reading Chal...: Miramont's Ghost by Elizabeth Hall 7 52 Feb 02, 2015 08:51PM
2017 Reading Chal...: Miramont's Ghost by Elizabeth Hall 1 18 Jan 07, 2015 09:47PM

• Heart Collector
  • Everything Burns
  • Helen of Sparta (Helen of Sparta #1)
  • Fatal Puzzle (Zons Crime #1)
  • Ocean of Storms
  • Flirting with Felicity
  • Younger
  • Inamorata
  • The Fire Seekers (The Babel Trilogy, #1)
  • Artful
  • Chicago's Headmistress
  • Shadow Boys (Jon Cantrell #2)
  • Ticker
  • The Gemini Effect
  • Tunnel Vision
  • The Altar Girl (Nadia Tesla #0.5)
  • Dragon's Triangle (The Shipwreck Adventures #2)
  • Plaster City (A Jimmy Veeder Fiasco, #2)
Elizabeth Hall spent most of her life in the mountains of Colorado. She has worked as a teacher and communications consultant, including hosting, writing, and producing the radio show Heart of the West (KRZA, Alamosa) and producing an oral history compilation for the Great Sand Dunes National Park. She now lives in the Pacific NW.
“The music had carried her away, to another time and another place, when she was young and in love and the future still sparkled with possibility.” 3 likes
“Having family does not ensure that one won’t be lonely.” 2 likes