Start by marking “Strategic Storytelling: How to Create Persuasive Business Presentations” as Want to Read:
Strategic Storytelling: How to Create Persuasive Business Presentations

Strategic Storytelling: How to Create Persuasive Business Presentations

“Strategic Storytelling” is a complete guide to creating persuasive business presentations.
Based on intensive study of presentations developed by leading management consulting firms, this step-by-step playbook shows you how to craft stories using proven narrative frameworks, design data-driven slides, and master your verbal and non-verbal delivery.
Published November 19th 2014 (first published November 8th 2014)

To ask other readers questions about Strategic Storytelling, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Strategic Storytelling

Start your review of Strategic Storytelling: How to Create Persuasive Business Presentations
Arun Divakar
Oct 12, 2015 rated it it was ok
In my sphere of work, a lot of time is spent in tinkering with the Microsoft office suite. Both Excel and PowerPoint are used & abused to equal measure and Word comes as a close second. If you have worked on slide shows and have presented them then you know how much value an airtight presentation commands. Even if you are someone who does not have too much flair while presenting stuff, a solid slide deck will pretty much stand up on its own and let you get away with it. If however all you ha ...more
Leona
Oct 07, 2018 rated it it was ok
Mislabeled. This isn't about how to build persuasive business presentations, it's a recap of the work done by consultants for the USPS lagging sales.

It's not horrible, but there isn't a lot you can sink you teeth into, and it's rather boring.
Elena Leonova
Mar 03, 2019 rated it it was amazing
For some of you who need to create slide decks at work to explain your idea, propose changes and recommend actions, this is the best book. I've been trying to find my own way of explaining those things to the rest of the audience, but this book has most of these secrets explain here, and it's so much easier to do so now.
I wish I came across this book years ago.
Pedro
Jan 28, 2015 rated it it was ok
Should be renamed to: "How to create ONE Powerpoint"
Georgi Yanakiev
Jul 15, 2017 rated it liked it
A guide rather than a book

A bit too stretchy advices in most chapters which makes it difficult to get practical knowledge which can be applied in real life.
Carsten Friedrich
Nov 16, 2019 rated it really liked it
This is a difficult book to review, as some parts are very good while others are very bad.

The good bits:
The book explains and illustrates the "Situation-Complication-Resolution" story telling technique based on 3 example presentations by renowned consulting agencies. The SCR technique itself seems to be based on or directly taken from the the book "The Minto Pyramid Principle: Logic in Writing, Thinking, & Problem Solving" by Barbabra Minto.

If you have to give b
Jomeow
Jan 15, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: communication, ku
This book came to me at a great timing. It’s a book on public speaking in business settings, which "integrates content, design and delivery", and is "steeped in the principles of storytelling". I have such needs at work, I am really interested in learning how the great consulting firms do their work.

Like the author says in the “Final Words”, “strategic storytelling is mostly about what you do before you actually speak to a group”, which, in my words, is the preparation that includes doing resea
Christian
Sep 17, 2019 rated it it was ok
Rahter basic book with a lot of trivial stuff, which might be useful to some people who were locked in a basement for the past 15 years without contact to the outer world.

My favourite trivial recommendations:
Use large fonts
Have contrast between text and background
...

You do not really learn strategic stroytelling in this book. It's just 1) the story of a case from three perspectives 2) some tips how to build presentations (basic) 3) even more basic tips on how
Abdulaziz Hasan
Jun 22, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: business
Ok, I feel this is a kind of books that should be included in your career bootstrapping materials. But the content is too tense to be read in relaxing times. It truly needs some effort to go over all the book but totally worth it.
Matt
Oct 21, 2019 rated it really liked it
As exciting as a book about PowerPoint could be. More seriously this had tons of good thoughts on putting together compelling presentations.
Juan Manuel Vera
Oct 06, 2019 rated it really liked it
Very good and useful

Great book with a lot of examples and good advises to use in your presentations. Instead of this book is from 10 years ago is 95% updated. .
Craig Rodgers
May 27, 2019 rated it really liked it
Well structured read

Finally a book on presentation substance over style. Would recommend to grads/junior staff prepping for first major presentation. Easy well structured read
Homer
Aug 09, 2018 rated it liked it
I want to read it again!

Good read for busy professionals. Still, need other books for a more detailed discussions. Hope David will also issue practice set and or workbook.
Sharon Poon
Jul 22, 2017 rated it it was ok
mundane and basic, didn't get much from this this
EG Gilbert
Apr 13, 2015 rated it liked it
I have several issues with “Strategic Storytelling” by Dave McKinsey, paperback edition 2014. It’s an attempt to use three related PowerPoint presentations to the United States Postal Service as examples of presentation structure and design.

First, there isn’t enough content to make an entire book. There is some good material, but in trying to exhaustively cover each presentation, the contents and details of the actual presentations often obscure the lessons. There are “tips” called out in
Vishal Kumar
Apr 05, 2015 rated it it was amazing
A good book, completed on the paperwhite Kindle - which I realized wasn't the best medium for viewing the colored 'slides'. I pulled up my 10" tablet to view the slides while viewing the text on the Kindle.

Content wise, I enjoyed the flow of the book with a logical deconstruction of the actual case and presentations made by McKinsey, BCG and Accenture and the best practices and mistakes made by them.

Would recommend going through a book like this in preparing your presentations.

Rated 4/5 becau
Elvira Glanville
Dec 23, 2016 rated it liked it
Good presntation structure overview

While the contents of the book are interesting, I found myself skimming through most of it. As a guiding document, I beieve there would be added value to the reader, if the writer were to provide the reader with a link to a guiding presentation and some tools to apply. While I like the step by step summary, it is too long and somewhat cumbersome to follow. If the inent is to provide the reader with a usable tool, then the book falls short. Its difficult to pul
Scott
May 02, 2015 rated it liked it
Quite a simple read about how to craft a presentation and this book provides solid tips for "strategic storytelling which is mostly about what you do before you actually speak to a group".

Overall, it actually made me question the fact presentations are used too often, and we have lost the real purpose in a presentation and when just to talk. The final quote I took from the book therefore is, "Being a more persuasive speaker is the fastest way to transform your ideas into positive outcomes. And,
Alejandro Miguel
Concise but comprehensive!

Focused on a particular business problem (mail services demand), departs from conjecture-only books. Makes practical recommendations on the type of content and its format. The final list of tips is really useful and makes it easy to go back to relevant places in the book. It is a recurrent source rather than a "read once and forget one". Great practical guide to create impactful strategy presentations.
I rated 4 instead of 5 stars because I feel the last chapter on verbal an
Sean
Jul 01, 2015 rated it it was amazing
If you are looking for a primer on how to weave effective anecdotes into a presentation this is NOT the book. HBR's 10 Must Reads on Communication is what you need. If you are looking for help on how to organize and implement a persuasive presentation for change management and impact, this is the book. This book is especially useful if you work in a bottom line oriented, strategic but risk averse company.
Jarkko Turunen
Feb 19, 2015 rated it really liked it
Hetting your idea through in your next meeting

Management consultants make presentations that have an impact and go around in organisations. I have marvelled them and then tried to learn from them. This book analyses the techniques used in those presentations. It provides practical tips that helped me understand what I can do to make a bigger impact.
Michael Stubben
May 10, 2016 rated it it was ok
Writer reviews three presentations that violate most of his own tips

While the book outlines some ways to frame persuasive presentations, most of the book reviews three presentations that are consulted messes violating most of his "tips". I found little value in this book.
Erick Hernandez Wesche
Dec 18, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Very useful

I found this book as am interesting collection of "consultant" tricks that will make my communication, no only through presentations but also through email, much more effective. This should really be a subject in any college major.
Rudyflyer
Feb 09, 2016 rated it liked it
Good beginners guide

This book relied too much on a few sample presentations regardless of if the content in the deck was well constructed in the authors mind. Rather than presenting a slide and acknowledging it does not follow a specific tip, choose better examples.
Arun Thamizhvanan
Sep 07, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: non-fiction
Informative and Practical Book.
Loved the Mckinsey presentation deconstruction. But going to Accenture and BCG for deconstruction, could not appreciate repetition and connecting here and there.

Would have loved it if it had a linear structure.
Dawn Trlak-Donahue
Feb 21, 2015 rated it did not like it
Way, way too formulaic.
Ivan Lopez Maurtua
Dec 29, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: kindle
I really enjoy reading this book.
Clear explanations...

Cheers,
Ivan
Katharina
Aug 13, 2015 rated it it was ok
It started off great, but when over 2/3 of a book is just taking apart one real-life example, it gets very boring very quickly. So the theory at the end felt a bit like half an afterthought.
Justin Patterson
May 19, 2015 rated it did not like it
Nothing new. Would've been better on SlideShare.
Stephen
Jul 22, 2015 rated it really liked it
A must read for business presentations

A nice review and synthesis of the top consulting firms and their approach to business presentations that lead to decisions.

• Superforecasting: The Art and Science of Prediction
  • The Road Less Stupid: Advice from the Chairman of the Board
  • Man of War (Eric Steele #1)
  • How to Take Smart Notes: One Simple Technique to Boost Writing, Learning and Thinking – for Students, Academics and Nonfiction Book Writers
  • Call Sign Chaos: Learning to Lead
  • Dereliction of Duty: Lyndon Johnson, Robert McNamara, the Joint Chiefs of Staff, and the Lies That Led to Vietnam
  • The Price of Global Health: Drug Pricing Strategies to Balance Patient Access and the Funding of Innovation
  • Sigue avanzando: 10 formas de mantenerme creativo en buenos y malos momentos
  • The Spartan Way: Eat Better. Train Better. Think Better. Be Better.
  • The War of the Running Dogs: How Malaya Defeated the Communist Guerrillas 1948-1960
  • Cuadro de mando integral: Mejore su reflexión estratégica y, con ello, el éxito de su negocio (Gestión y Marketing)
  • Turning Pro
  • Driving Digital Strategy: A Guide to Reimagining Your Business
  • Management Challenges for the 21st Century
  • Meet Me in Malmö (Inspector Anita Sundstrom #1)
  • Sonho Grande
  • the way she spoke
  • The Lion's Gate: On the Front Lines of the Six Day War
“the most compelling business presentations are a form of strategic storytelling leading listeners down a controlled path.” 1 likes
“A great leader, one who applies bright spot analysis, does not trust sales managers to know who their top performers are. Yes, that is blasphemy, but sales managers are people too, and hold biases due to personal relationships and past performance. The right first step is to stack rank account executives by recent performance” 0 likes