Start by marking “The Wonderful Things You Will Be” as Want to Read:
The Wonderful Things You Will Be

The Wonderful Things You Will Be

The New York Times bestseller that celebrates the dreams, acceptance, and love that parents have for their children . . . now and forever!

From brave and bold to creative and clever, Emily Winfield Martin's rhythmic rhyme expresses all the loving things that parents think of when they look at their children. With beautiful, and sometimes humorous, illustrations, and a cl
Published August 25th 2015 by Random House Books for Young Readers

To ask other readers questions about The Wonderful Things You Will Be, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Wonderful Things You Will Be

Start your review of The Wonderful Things You Will Be
Maxwell Rae
Jan 25, 2018 rated it liked it
Daddy read this book to me, and we were both left feeling a little meh about this book. It was just so-so. I expected a lot more from a book that’s been on the New York Times Bestselling Children’s Picture Book List for 116 weeks (yes over two years!!!!) Though I really did like the page with the red balloon on it. I’ve said it before and I’ll say it again, I think red might be becoming my favourite colour!
Apr 09, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: childrens
Emily Martin's illustrations are absolutely gorgeous. I find them full of nostalgia that express a classic and innocent feel to her stories. ...more
Scottsdale Public Library
If you are not yet familiar with Emily Winfield Martin’s books or illustrations, you should become so. Filled with a whimsical and vintage-ethereal artistic style (if that’s not a style, it should be), Martin creates a love letter to the child reader and to the possibilities he or she will become. –Sara S.
Steph
Feb 03, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I loved this book. I read it today to my daughter and she was really fascinated by the beautiful illustrations. I loved the message telling her above anything to be kind and the rest will be okay. If she wants to be a doctor, great. If she wants to be an artist, wonderful. I really liked this book and look forward to reading it again to her as she gets older.
Chantal
Apr 23, 2021 rated it really liked it
A loving story that all parents will think about their children. Loved the beautiful and colorful drawings in the book. Loved the overall message.
Mary
Feb 01, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Sweet illustrations with an even sweeter message. A modern take on "Oh the Places You Will Go" for a younger audience. ...more
Krissy
Apr 21, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: read-to-tristan
Rated by my son

I thought it was a cute book and I really liked the illustrations.
Amina
Apr 17, 2018 rated it really liked it
Will you learn how to fly
To find the best view?
Or take care of things
much smaller than you?

Lovely!
Jessica
Feb 05, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: childrens
Such pretty illustrations and a great 1st read for parents and their babies :)
Paula
Here's your next go-to New Baby or shower gift. And you will be happy to give it. Emily Martin's retro-sweet style walks that perfect line - hipsters think it's hipster and grandmas think it's old-fashioned. Extra credit for babies on the endpapers and toddlers in superhero masks. ...more
Emily
Sep 13, 2016 rated it it was amazing
love everything about this author and the books she writes.
Sara
Jun 02, 2019 rated it really liked it
I loved the whimsical drawings and sweet loving message. The rhyme scheme varied, which is a personal pet peeve of mine, but otherwise a wonderful love lit book.
Elaine Mullane || At Home in Books
I am in huge danger of dehydrating after reading this. Is this one of the sweetest books ever or has becoming a mother turned me to mush? I just adored this.

What is such a simple concept and a thought that comes into every parent's mind, Emily Winfield Martin has turned into a celebration of children's natures and personalities. It is about becoming a parent and that amazing, intense and all-consuming love a parent feels for their child. It makes you wonder about the possibilities and really cel
Leslie
Jan 10, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: children-s
This is a wonderful book with beautiful illustrations!
Emma
Nov 03, 2015 rated it it was amazing
"When you were too small

To tell me hello,

I knew you were someone

I wanted to know.

"For all of your tininess

Couldn't disguise

A heart so enormous . . .

And wild . . .

And wise."

The Wonderful Things You Will Be (2015) by Emily Winfield Martin is the rare picture book that truly has something for everyone. This thoughtful, quiet story imagines all of the things little ones (both babies and bigger kids) will grow up to be including creative and clever as well as brave and bold.

Martin's rhyming
Laura Harrison
Aug 26, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I truly love The Wonderful Things You Will Be. It is unlike all the other affirmation books available to children. The wonderful messages are given in a warm. loving and gentle way. A lovely book to read anytime but especially at bedtime. The illustrations are simply glorious. This is a must have picture book.
Sara
Mar 13, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fiction, youth

Ricki
Apr 11, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: children-s-books
This is a stunning book that is the perfect baby shower gift. As a mama, this captures the love I have for my children and the dreams I have for them. I can see why it is so popular, and I will be gifting it over and over again.
Carrie
Emily Winfield Martin is a wonderful author and illustrator. She has become a favorite of mine. This is a second reading of this book. ...more
Anna
Beautiful message and beautiful images. This one should be a prime graduation gift for anyone from preschool to college, much like "Oh, the Places You'll Go!". ...more
Kris
Dec 10, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
Vintage-style illustrations combined with a classically sweet text make this a lovely bedtime story
Ari
Sep 26, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Such a lovely book!

I don’t usually add my kid’s books here, I have a different account just for that, but this one is cute and lovely and it makes me wonder (Or it puts into words something that I’ve always wondered. Just the same), so I wanted to write a few words about it.

The kid loves the rhymes, I love the concept... and there is this part at the end that unfolds unveiling different kids and the wonderful things they can be when rhey grow up. When we read it to him, we love to make funny gu
Katie
Feb 28, 2020 rated it it was amazing
What can I say?

Delightful? Yes.
Sweet? Yes.
Lovely pictures? Yes.

Made me cry? Very much yes.

A rhyming picture book that leads through the many wonderful stages of growing from an infant to a young child. It shows joy and celebrates the many facets each child has.

It would be a great for any young child or as a baby shower present.
Siriann
Feb 19, 2021 rated it really liked it
Beautiful illustrations! A children's book about the love the carer has for the child and how the child can be anybody they choose. I also like that it emphasises that being and becoming a good person is as important as what profession and skills the child develop. ...more
Christine Heron
May 29, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Illustrations have a vintage feel but with a modern touch. Sweet sentiment for one on one sharing or for gift giving.
Dawn Fielder
Nov 05, 2018 rated it it was amazing
The illustrations are beautiful. The prose is sweet and lovely. I think this would make a lovely baby gift or graduation gift-- an alternative to Oh, The Places you will go.
Audrey
Dec 27, 2019 rated it it was amazing
The message and writing of this book are so beautiful they brought me to tears.
Deb in UT
I've started reading a bunch of books that, according to a website, a particular literary agent likes. This is the first of those books I've finished. It's cute, sweet, and a bit touching. I've read other books very similar to this one. Books like these often seem to be more for the loved ones who read them to a child. I suppose it could inspire a child to dream about what they could be like as they grow. I like it fine. ...more
Cindy Steel
May 31, 2019 rated it it was amazing
The sweetest book with the loveliest illustrations. ❤️
Sebastian Song
Jan 26, 2018 rated it it was amazing
A wonderful read for all parents or parents to be. A child is a gift of life and potential, the most mysterious yet beautiful in the making.

• I've Loved You Since Forever
  • I'd Know You Anywhere, My Love
  • Little Owl's Night
  • Be You!
  • Goodnight, Goodnight, Construction Site
  • Dear Girl,: A Celebration of Wonderful, Smart, Beautiful You!
  • All the World
  • Grumpy Monkey
  • Everything is Mama
  • God Bless You and Good Night
See top shelves…
Emily Winfield Martin makes paintings, books, and other things. She is the author and illustrator of Day Dreamers (forthcoming, 2014), Dream Animals (2013), Oddfellow's Orphanage (2012) and The Black Apple's Paper Doll Primer (2010). When she was small, she spent every moment drawing, reading, dressing rabbits in fancy clothes, and having many peculiar daydreams. When she grew up, she began to ill ...more