Start by marking “The Boy Who Crashed to Earth (HiLo, #1)” as Want to Read:
The Boy Who Crashed to Earth (HiLo, #1)

The Boy Who Crashed to Earth

(HiLo #1)

D.J. and his friend Gina are totally normal kids. But Hilo isn't! Hilo doesn’t know where he came from, or what he’s doing on Earth. (Or why going to school in only your underwear is a BAD idea!)... But UH-OH, what if Hilo wasn’t the only thing to fall to our planet? Can the trio unlock the secrets of Hilo's past? Can Hilo SURVIVE a day at school? Find out in HILO-a laugh- ...more
Published September 1st 2015 by Random House Books for Young Readers

Patrick
Despite the fact that I'm a big fan of Winick, I didn't know about this series at all until I stumbled onto it at NYCC.

I bought it and brought it home to my boys. But I read it first, partly to make sure it was something I wanted to pass along to them, but also because I wanted to read it.

It's fun, and both my boys love it. Part of me was hoping there would be echoes of Barry Ween in it, given the similarities in character design. But that's where the similarity stops.

And that's good news and
Yoda
Feb 24, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Its a funny, entertaining comic-book for kids age 8-12. I really liked it, and I cant wait for my little sister to read it. ...more
Betsy
Relentless cheer. You can use it for good. You can use it for evil. You can use it in the name of humor too, but that’s a trickier game to play. I’m not saying it can’t be done. It just takes a certain level of finesse. Now I read a lot of graphic novels for kids in a given year that sell themselves as “funny”. And while I know that humor is subjective, I tell you plain that most of them aren’t of the laugh-out-loud variety. So when someone tries to sell me on the “funny” line with a comic I don ...more
Mary Lee
Sep 15, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: graphic-novel, series
OUTSTANDING!!

(That's a text reference as much as an opinion. You'll understand after you read it.)
First Second Books
It’s like the return of Barry Ween! Aw.

I’m so glad that Judd Winick is back doing kids comics.
Abby Johnson
This is a super funny comic that will appeal to readers who like adventure stories and science fiction, and also kids who enjoy friendship stories. I kept laughing out loud as I was reading and I can't wait to share this in booktalks with our 3rd-6th graders. Kids who love Zita the Spacegirl will also root for DJ and Hilo, friends who would stop at nothing to protect each other.
Niki (Daydream Reader)
I totally love this new graphic novel series! Great cliff hanger at the end! This book is going to be very popular!
Shadowdenizen
Mar 15, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: comics-other
Very cute, kid-friendly comic. I can see why it's got such positive buzz!
Dov Zeller
Cute adventure story that goes back and forth between mundane comic predicaments (the troubles of having an extra-terrestrial robot over for dinner) and wacky robot-fighting escapades. Not sure the message in here about self-esteem makes sense (it's okay that you're not stellar at anything like sports or academics as long as you're willing to risk your life to fight robots and save the earth?) But, friendship and adventure abound and the characters are captivating and it's great to read an adven ...more
Oct 07, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Oh, this is so cute.

DJ, the main character, a non-achiviver in a family of over-achivers, finds a mysterious boy that crashes to earth. He has no memory, but does, after a bit, remember his name is Hilo.

This is just the first book in a series of not sure how many, so this is just introducing the characters, DJ and his friend Gina, who help Hilo remember, and then help him to fight his evil nemesis.

In between the action and the feelings, we have cute things, such as DJ always saying "ARGGH" when
Bailey
Dec 31, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Please note that this is a collaborative review with C.

HILO is hands down the most enjoyable middle grade graphic novel that we have ever read! It's laugh out loud material dripping with adventure, friendship, and originality. The entire time while reading it, we were chuckling and smiling to ourselves like there was no tomorrow, and this book is nothing short of "OUTSTANDING!" The fast-paced tale will fly by, even though you'll desperately want it to last longer. No one should pass up the chanc
Skye Kilaen
Jan 17, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 0-graphic-novels
Judging by this book's cover, I assumed that the blond kid in the center was the main character, and the two POC kids would basically be sidekicks. I was so tickled to be wrong. (Though the cover-as- marketing-tool's message could be discussed...) The main character of this book is actually D.J. Lim, the kid on the left. He's one of five kids, and - according to him - the only one of those five kids who doesn't excel at anything. The only thing he excelled at was being friends with Gina, the gal ...more
Miranda (MrsLeif's Two Fangs About It)
This was a super funny graphic novel that will appeal to readers of all ages! I know it is geared towards children, but I enjoyed it as an adult. This graphic novel was action packed and it had an interesting science fiction plot. I devoured it in one sitting.

The friendships in this book were so cute. The three friends were so dedicated to each other, and I adored their relationships. The characters in this book also made me laugh out loud so many times. Some of the humor was a little childish,
Rick Dobrowolski
May 20, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Read through this graphic novel with the kids. Very entertaining and funny, and the villain is not too scary for my 5 & 7 year old. My daughter did come out of her bedroom one night saying that she was scared because of the book, but she's always looking for a reason not to go to bed, so this just served the purpose. A book about a big, fluffy teddy bear would draw her out of her room to avoid bedtime.
Gillian Dawson
I really want to re-read Barry Ween now. Also, I kept being surprised when Hilo and DJ didn't swear.
Aug 29, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Love love love this graphic novel. Hilo's enthusiasm is contagious, and the adventure rockets along. A blast to read!
Barb Middleton
I grew up in a family of five like the protagonist, D.J.'s, with constant chaos in the kitchen as everyone hovered around the fridge trying to snarf down whatever morsels were available. We ate so much that my mom stored 16 boxes of cereal in the stove one day because they couldn't fit in the cupboard. I preheated the oven for my pan of brownies and lighted a boo-scary bonfire. Smores were more in order than brownies. Judd Winick captures not only big-family life, but the difficulty of trying to ...more
John Defrog
This is my first time reading Judd Winick, and I confess I mainly picked this up in part because it turns out I’m friends with one of his cousins who hipped this book to me when it came out. That said, I also liked the art style on the cover, so I decided to give it a shot.

As the title implies, Hilo is a boy who literally falls from the sky and crashes into the Earth like a meteor, with no memory of who he is or where he’s from. He’s discovered and befriended by DJ, a nerdy 13-year-old boy, who
Turrean
I enjoyed this so much! The “kid banter” is spot on; so are the internal dynamics of DJ’s and Gina’s families.

(I had one eye roll moment: when Hilo is giving us the backstory on the robot wars, we see an image of all the roles robots fill in his world. Groan...why did the baby-tending robot have to be shaped like a woman? Likewise the hairdresser robot? The medical robot was androgynous. The barista and the garbage collector robots were “male.” )
Cheriee Weichel
Feb 21, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: best-of-2018
This was fabulous! It has just adorable characters placed in a science fiction setting. The pages are gorgeously coloured with brilliant action scenes. I love the silliness that is countered with witty remarks, and strong emotional connections between the characters. I am now a fan of Judd Winick’s work and plan to read more! The good thing about being late the the Hilo party is that I won’t have to wait to read more of the series.
Mary Ellen
I think the story was ok. The art was not appealing at all. I am married to an animator though, so I am a harsh critic of art. My kids loved it. If I were basing it solely on if I think a child would enjoy it, then yes, 5 stars. But I don't feel like it is anything special. I would be a little disappointed it this book won the graphic novel beehive award.
Sorry Judd Winick! I'm sorry. So harsh. I know. Keep up the good work. Just- maybe give your characters pupils.
Megan Denney
Nov 18, 2017 rated it really liked it
Hilo: The Boy Who Crashed to Earth is about a robot boy, Hilo who has crashed into earth. He suddenly appears into another little boys life, DJ. DJ does not think that he is very exciting and that he is just an average boy in life. However, as Hilo enters DJ's life he brings a new adventure to him and they both form a friendship with each other. The problem appears when the evil Razorwark, an alien robot from another universe is searching for Hilo. The two boys have adventures together as they e ...more
Ellen Deckinga
Jul 15, 2018 rated it liked it
Fun middle grade graphic novel. HiLo comes into the stroy like Superman, but has a much different experience. He meets DJ who is feeling kinda lonely and they become friends. Then the robots come... No spoilers, but a great read.
Yasmeena
Sep 01, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Holy mackerel.

I really wanted to finish this sooner, but I was busy ;-;

But I really enjoyed this ^^
Metaphrog Metaphrog
Apr 18, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Hilarious and fast-paced. What's not to like?
Snazzy Reads
Sep 05, 2017 rated it liked it
Jenna
Mar 10, 2018 rated it really liked it
A fun and exhilarating adventure. The simple drawing style belied a deeper story that delved into D.J’s idea of not being good at anything, and his insecurities as well as friendships. Felt a bit inspired by Dragonball and Astro Boy, which is outstanding!
Emily
Mar 28, 2018 rated it really liked it
This was cute and is perfect for a middle-grade reader who wants a little bit of everything in their story.
Amberlee
Jun 28, 2017 rated it really liked it
My son loved this. I had fun reading it to him.
Stephanie Tournas
I love Hilo and his friends. Great sci fi adventure, comraderie and saving the world!
Jami Mason's Review #3 1 1 Sep 20, 2019 12:06AM

• Mighty Jack and the Goblin King (Mighty Jack, #2)
  • The Great Pet Escape
  • Peter & Ernesto: A Tale of Two Sloths
  • Star Scouts
  • The Creepy Case Files of Margo Maloo
  • Written and Drawn by Henrietta
  • Dragons Beware! (Chronicles of Claudette, #2)
  • The Cardboard Kingdom
  • Bolivar
  • The Sand Warrior (5 Worlds, #1)
  • Sanity & Tallulah
  • Super Narwhal and Jelly Jolt (A Narwhal and Jelly, #2)
  • Compass South (Four Points #1)
  • Mr. Wolf's Class (Mr. Wolf's Class, #1)
  • Swing it, Sunny
  • Hippopotamister
  • One Trick Pony
  • New Shoes
Born February 12th, 1970 and raised on Long Island in New York, Judd began cartooning professionally at 16 with a single-paneled strip called Nuts & Bolts. This ran weekly through Anton Publications, a newspaper publisher that produced town papers in the Tri state area. He was paid 10 dollars a week.

In August of 1988, Judd began attending the University of Michigan, Ann Arbor bringing Nuts &am

HiLo (5 books)
  • Saving the Whole Wide World (HiLo, #2)
  • The Great Big Boom (HiLo, #3)
  • Waking the Monsters (Hilo, #4)
  • Hilo Book 5: Then Everything Went Wrong