Start by marking “The Color Kittens” as Want to Read:
The Color Kittens

The Color Kittens

Once there were two color kittens with green eyes, Brush and Hush . . .So goes the rollicking tale of two pouncy kittens who make all the colors in the world. First published more than 50 years ago, this much-requested title is now available as a Little Golden Book Classic, with its original cover!
Published May 13th 2003 by Golden Books (first published 1949)

Hannah Greendale
Apr 24, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-book
The little kittens were so happy with all the colors they had made that they began to paint everything around them. They painted . . .

Green leaves

Black trees
with golden pears.

Hilary
May 20, 2019 rated it liked it
Recommends it for: Those looking for vintage childrens books about colour
Two cats mix some paint to see what colours they will find. The illustrations are nice if a little bizarre and random. I think I would have enjoyed this one more as a child.

Read on openlibrary.
Stephanie
Sep 22, 2007 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: budding poets
My grandmother used to read me this book between puffs of her cigarette. How I loved this story...it's the tale of two kittens, Hush and Brush. They have buckets and buckets and buckets of paint, but none that are the color green. Refusing to have their spirits crushed by the evil paint manufacturing company, the two decide to make their own green by mixing various colors together. A series of delightful accidents ensue.

Written by Margaret Wise Brown, the poet laureate of children's literature,
Marya
Feb 17, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: children-poetry
Screw Goodnight Moon. THIS is Margaret Wise Brown's best children's book. The poetry is clever enough to teach children new words, the drawings are awesome, and how can you possibly go wrong with a story about two cats mixing paint colors? At least there aren't any freaky bunnies in footsie pajamas in this one.

Lara
Aug 07, 2007 rated it really liked it
Shelves: childhood
I had this on record, with the little booklet, and I can still remember the little "meow" that told you when to turn the page.
Olivia "Don't Blame Me I Voted for Hillary"
This was one of my favorite books when I'd learned to read at the age of four.
Julia
Mar 06, 2018 rated it really liked it
A fun yet older book that helps young children in getting to learn more about colors while giving them a chance to enjoy the capers of two little kittens.

Although there is a plot gap in the fact that the story says they are color kittens and are in charge of the world's colors there is no actual explanation on what that means or how they came to get this particular job. Instead the reader is thrown kind of into the story, which then takes them on a color-filled journey.

The book is written in
Cheryl
Apr 08, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Ember's illustrations are weird. Generally creepy, but the green jazzy cat dancing with the pink French poodle is brill, and the Easter eggs dancing around the tree is a crazy dream.

Parts of the story are wonderful, but parts are odd. Why do the kittens dream the same dreams? The versed parts of the text are MWB at her best.

I know I've seen the Provensen art at one time, but it wasn't all that memorable to me. From a 'fine art' pov, I believe this the superior. The other is probably more kid-f
Stacy
Feb 11, 2017 rated it really liked it
2 little kittens paint everything in the world, but are confused how to make certain colors. Explains how different colors combine to make new ones (blue + yellow = green, etc).
❤Marie Gentilcore
May 09, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: kids
The kids and I read this last night for story time. I thought the story felt a little young for them (Boy 9, Girl 7) but they both enjoyed it and they both said to give it 5+++++ stars. It is a cute story of two kittens named Brush and Hush who are trying to make green paint and go through many different color combinations before they get to green. The illustrations are colorful and add to the story.
Annette
Oct 06, 2007 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: People with young children, or people who like to do acid
I like this book. Everything is out of proportion and weird. I don't want to give away the ending, but it's pretty cool when the kittens mix all the colors together. I was really hoping for a rainbow...but it was something else.

My favorite page is the one where people live on islands and have houses only big enough to shelter their loaves of bread.
Gwendolyn
Feb 15, 2014 rated it it was amazing
This one is well loved by both mk and jo and for some reason it makes me so emotional to read. Oh Brush, Oh Hush! I think I need to buy another copy to keep safe forever (the one we've been reading over and over is from aunt Katrina).
Lynn
Mar 29, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: children
My favorite book as a child. Kittens make all the colors in the world by mixing paints.
David Anthony
Oct 25, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Quite possibly the cutest book of all time.
Miriam
Jan 21, 2012 rated it liked it
Shelves: picture
Presumably this is intended to teach little kids about primary colors and how to mix pigments.
I found the kittens blitzed expressions and manic behavior less cute than I think I was supposed to.
Rebecca
Sep 28, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: kids
One of my absolute favourites from when I was a little kid!

(And the book I had was actually the one my dad had had when HE was a little kid...)
Mckinley
Dec 17, 2010 rated it it was amazing
LOVED, LOVED, LOVED this book when I was little. I liked seeing the colors blend together.
Wendy Potter
Nov 11, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I asked friends and family what were their favorite books as children and my brother-in-law who is a librarian told me he was very fond of this book when he started learning how to read and with those words, I felt I had to read it myself. He is an avid reader and his opinion matters a lot to me. I was in for a great read! What a lovely little book. A fun and adorable way to learn about colors and to learn how to read and well, kittens! Who doesn't love kittens! I enjoyed it and I am sure all ki ...more
Luisa Knight
This was a favorite as a child! I was just learning my colors when this was read to me, so you can imagine my amazement when I discovered that mixing different colors together ... made other colors!

What we adults often think is simplistic or normal, is incredibly dazzling and wondrous to children. So don't skip over those introductory books to colors, letters, animals, vehicles and the like - children are taking it all in happily! Their little world is growing.

Ages 3+
Vivian
Oct 18, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: picture-books
Five stars because this is the very first story that I remember being read aloud to me in the school library by the librarian when I was in first grade. It enchanted me. I loved kittens. I loved colors. I loved the ambiance of the quiet and cozy library environment. I loved having a story performed. I have never recovered.
LibAssistantSWFL
Brush and Hush had red, blue, yellow, black and white paint to use and mix. They would two of the colors and then the reader sees what color it ends up being. They ended up dreaming of all of the colors in this amusing picture book
Jessica
<3 childhood favorite holds up.
Rue Monroe
Jun 10, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This was my favorite book as a kid; my mom read it to me every night until I had memorized the words and almost convinced my dad I could read, until he realized I was holding the book upside down!!!
Monica Loftus
Dec 02, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Good book for teaching colors and how colors mix to make new colors
Derrick
Jun 29, 2019 rated it liked it
Benjamin Espen
Aug 16, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A cute book, not as well-known as Goodnight, Moon, but still fun to read.
Kelly
Sep 13, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2018
This book is so cute, and the illustrations are wonderful! A great way to help young children learn their colors.
Heidi-Marie
A gift for V. from Sis. Morot. A cute book that depicts colors. I like that some of the lesser-written about colors are included.
Annikka
Nov 10, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: picture-books
Summery:
This book is about two kittens named Brush and Hush who like to mix and make colors. They make all the different colors in the world by trying to figure out what colors go together to make different colors.

Identify the characteristics from the text that support the specific genre:
This story is short and very informative on showing that mixing different colors together can make a new color. The pictures take up a majority of space on the page, and when the story talks about a specific co
« previous 1 3 4 next »

• The Animals' Christmas Eve
  • The Fire Engine Book
  • The Happy Man and His Dump Truck
  • The Little Kitten
Margaret Wise Brown wrote hundreds of books and stories during her life, but she is best known for Goodnight Moon and The Runaway Bunny. Even though she died nearly 60 years ago, her books still sell very well.

Margaret loved animals. Most of her books have animals as characters in the story. She liked to write books that had a rhythm to them. Sometimes she would put a hard word into the story or p