Start by marking “Sharpie Art Workshop: Techniques and Ideas for Transforming Your World” as Want to Read:
Sharpie Art Workshop: Techniques and Ideas for Transforming Your World

Sharpie Art Workshop: Techniques and Ideas for Transforming Your World

Bold and sharp, brilliant and vivid, Sharpie markers can be found in art, office, and stationery supply stores, drugstores, mass-market and crafts chains - almost anywhere writing utensils are sold. Sharpies can be used on virtually any surface, from the traditional (paper and canvas) to the unexpected (fabric, plastic, ceramics, glass, wood, stone, metal).

In addition to t
Published July 1st 2015 by Rockport Publishers (first published June 15th 2015)

To ask other readers questions about Sharpie Art Workshop, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Sharpie Art Workshop

Ayesha U
Oct 10, 2015 rated it liked it
Apart from certain illustrations that kept me hooked, this book reads like one big Sharpie ad. I gave it 3 stars because this book doesn't have any solid content.
Paulina Fricke
Dec 25, 2017 rated it did not like it
HOLY MOTHER OF GOD this book is an embarrassment. Besides being a giant advertisement for sharpie, he lists every color each variety comes in, the writing is atrocious. He references Wikipedia! He defines what a freaking post it note is and lists the colors they come in as well. Some of his writing is copied and pasted verbatim on to multiple sections, and are only two pages a part! Timothy’s brilliant drawing instruction? Draw anything. On anything. But only with a sharpie. He doesn’t give any ...more
Troy
I couldn't tell you what I was expecting, but besides the Sharpie advertising, this is a mildly interesting catalog of styles and what you can do with markers. Excuse me as I go get high off my Sharpie supply now.
fleegan
Sep 11, 2015 rated it liked it
Shelves: art
I give this a solid 3 stars. It has nice pictures and good ideas in it, but it really reads like a giant ad for Sharpie markers, so, I mean, meh. Not that I don't love a Sharpie, I'm no hater, but still, not a lot of substance in here. And the advice is really common sense. It's basically, "Need a thin line? Use the fine marker. Need a bold line? Choose a BIGGER marker!"
Amber Hadigan
Nov 02, 2015 rated it it was ok
This could have been so good. I was hoping for more ideas and exercises to expand my creative drawing. Loved the examples he gave, but he didn't give any real pointers for how to expand your art with creative ideas. He threw in a few. The entire book took me ten minutes to really read. Glad I got it from the library.
Sherah
Jun 20, 2017 rated it did not like it
Shelves: awful, art, design
This book was very shallow and did not deliver much in the way of "techniques" or "ideas". It was more like a magazine or blog. Most of the pages contain giant text on a one-color flat background and there isn't a lot of substance. The meat of the book is the author listing out which Sharpie artists he likes, photos from their stuff, and then 2-4 page sections with weak 1-2 sentence attempts at history lessons or background for half-formed (or at least half-articulated) ideas. It even repeated i ...more
Kate
May 13, 2016 rated it liked it
I was interested in this title because I enjoy using Sharpies to finalize my pencil drawings. This book quickly covers the varieties of Sharpie pens and then introduces a number of Sharpie artists, each with a page or two of bio and examples of their art. They are grouped into similar styles and then there would be a two-page spread of how to create similar art. While I liked a lot of the ideas (making word art, writing on objects, using Post-It Notes to create a grid or comic strip, mini canvas ...more
Victoria
Jan 08, 2016 rated it liked it
I bought this expecting to it to explain drawing techniques with sharpies, but it just seems to list the various things you can draw on.
Bookish
Sep 02, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: craft
Sharpies plus skill development. Win-win.
False
Oct 24, 2015 rated it did not like it
I have to ask: How did this book make it into print? It's not even a book. Maybe a blog entry. I gained nothing from reading this.
Oscar
Oct 02, 2017 rated it liked it
I love Sharpie markers and am never without at least one, so I should be more bias to enjoy this. It is well produced and enjoyable, but also very much for beginners to the field of crafting, doodling and generally drawing. The one great takeaway that I hadn't thought of before is to buy blank kraft paper and doodle on it for gifts. Just wonderful!
Melissa Mejia
Feb 27, 2019 rated it it was ok
Didn’t really give good examples of finished products. Kept repeating itself over and over. Was happy when the book was finished!!! Did give me a good idea for a Christmas present. So it gets 2 stars for that.
Kristi
Aug 15, 2018 rated it liked it
The author writes about bAsic information about the Sharpie and the uses. The book seemed simple in uses of the sharpie but loved the introduction of different artists and they way they use these markers.
Mintsocute
Mar 28, 2018 rated it liked it
Recommends it for: friends who want to know about art
Timothy give some general idea about sharpie. He gave example of different artists' works. The book titled can be somewhat mislead. This book is not a good book for learning, but for some basic idea and basic reference. Though, the layout and color of the pages are appetizing.
Cindy Pham
Jan 09, 2018 rated it it was ok
A cute and fun short book, but it didn't really need to be a book at all. Would have sufficed better as a blog post, as the writing is very sparse and most of the content is just references that you would need to seek online anyway.
Faith
Mar 07, 2017 rated it liked it
I'm not an artist and I was hoping this book would have more of a tutorial-style workshop, instead of a 'what-to-write-on' workshop. However, I did like the ideas and the featured artists inspired me to start doodling more often. A quick read for some artistic motivation.
Veranikah
Aug 22, 2018 rated it liked it
Quick little book that’s great if you need some inspiration.
Jason
Apr 29, 2018 rated it did not like it
This is in no way a workshop. No techniques just scribbling and doodling. I already knew how to do that, since kindergarden. Luckily I checked it out at the library first. Don't waste your time.
Nathan Boler
Jan 06, 2019 rated it liked it
Sort of a sharpie infomercial with random creative craft ideas tossed in. I didn't dislike it. If you like sharpies and black and white, it's a fun skim.
Rachel
Jan 27, 2018 rated it it was ok
I gave it two stars based on the quality of some of the artists he references.
Otherwise there wasn't any technique.
Shannon
Mar 17, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: makerspace
I read this book because it will be added to my makerspace in our school library. Not a huge amount of information provided within the book itself, but beautiful visuals. Who knew sharpies could be used for so much! I hope the pages inspire students to go beyond the basics to create fantastic Sharpie Art using paper, canvas, post-it notes and more!
Laurie
Mar 14, 2017 rated it it was ok
Eh. Mildly interesting... but I can find exactly the same inspiration online with more information.
Jeanne-Erin
Oct 29, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: art-books
While I enjoyed this book I think I wanted ... more? Each page is beautiful and a joy to look at, but the ideas are regulated to a spread with simple instructions and an example, with most having another spread of some beautiful work by other artists. Honestly, I'm having a hard time explaining why it was disappointing to me. Maybe there are too many ideas? Maybe the really simple ideas (draw on an envelope!) are given the same weight as really wonderful and new ones (spray paint an object and d ...more
Zoe Ford
Dec 27, 2015 rated it it was ok
Shelves: art
2 out of 5 stars because it lacked substance. I liked the featured art and artists. I feel like the author just gave vague ideas about things that *can* be done - sparks of inspiration - rather than any sort of actual techniques. I think the title of the book is misleading. I disagree that it's anything like a 'workshop' and I didn't really see any 'techniques' other than using different types of Sharpie for different substrates (which is really advice rather than technique). So, one star for th ...more
Ella
Jan 29, 2017 rated it it was ok
I read a lot of reviews complaining that the book read like one long ad for Sharpies. I don't understand what they were expecting; the book is literally titled "Sharpie Art Workshop".

It took me about 10 minutes to finish this book. It wasn't a very good read but it definitely wasn't an horrible read. I liked the attention to alternative canvases, such as household objects, and the wide array of graphic designers featured. I wouldn't consider the book overly helpful in terms of learning technique
Michele
Nov 19, 2015 rated it really liked it
Goodman did an exceptional job with this work. The author provides amazing ideas to current and aspiring artists without bogging down the reader with an excessive narrative. Goodman highlights contemporary artists making a living using their unique abilities and provides web links to their websites and blogs. This book is a well-rounded, concise, informative, visually pleasing, and inspiring work that should find a home on artist bookshelves everywhere.
May-Ling
Aug 24, 2016 rated it it was ok
i agree with other readers that suggest this book feels like an advertisement for sharpie. especially when other materials get mentioned or suggested without the branding attached to it. i'm a certified sharpie lover and so i picked this one up hoping it would inspire me to work on other projects. it will in an ephemeral way, but i think from this book i wanted specific exercises or calls to action that would get me making things while reading along.
Sundry
Mar 22, 2016 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2016
Disappointing if you're interested in practical tips

Kind of fun to page through, and has lots of links to artists' pages. Heavy on lettering for my taste. I was really hoping for practical tips on getting the ink to stick to various types of surfaces. This is more like, "You could draw on your shoes! Or your hat!" One of my three stars is just because the author seems like a nice guy. Wouldn't have bought it if I'd seen the whole thing in a bookstore.
Anita Ashland
Aug 27, 2016 rated it really liked it
I heard Goodman interviewed on the Design Matters podcast recently. I have no art talent and therefore was intrigued by his use of Sharpies and his suggestion that one make a Sharpie scribble every day and give it a name. This is a fun book and will give you a bunch of cool ideas for using Sharpies to liven up ordinary objects.
Alyssa
Nov 15, 2015 rated it liked it
The book was a wonderful look into contemporary artists and the work they do. I liked the variety of artists. Not that great if you were looking for suggestions of projects (his ideas are vague and not well developed) as I didn't feel there were many actual techniques given. I did feel inspired after reading this book, mostly from seeing what others are doing.

• Amy Butler's Midwest Modern: A Fresh Design Spirit for the Modern Lifestyle
  • Execute
  • The Art of Ballpoint: Experimentation, Exploration, and Techniques in Ink
  • Imagine A Forest: 45 Step by Step Lessons to Create Enchanting Folk Art
  • Sneaky Art: Crafty Surprises to Hide in Plain Sight
  • Hand-Lettering for Everyone: A Creative Workbook
  • The Collage Workbook: How to Get Started and Stay Inspired
  • Playing with Books: The Art of Upcycling, Deconstructing, and Reimagining the Book
  • Stik
  • Bend the Rules with Fabric: Fun Sewing Projects with Stencils, Stamps, Dye, Photo Transfers, Silk Screening, and More
  • Making an Impression: Designing  Creating Artful Stamps
  • Papercraft: Design and Art with Paper
  • Star, Branch, Spiral, Fan: Learn to Draw from Nature's Perfect Design Structures
  • Mod Podge Rocks!: Decoupage Your World