Start by marking “Last Chance Llama Ranch” as Want to Read:
Last Chance Llama Ranch

Last Chance Llama Ranch

From the author of Bliss comes a heartwarming tale of friendship, romance, self-discovery... and llama drama.

From Olympic skier to llama farmer? Now that is a serious jump.

When a close encounter with an eighty-foot spruce steals Merry's dreams of Olympic gold, the former ski champ finds herself falling into a career she never expected -- the life of a travel writer. Pictu
Published August 25th 2015 by Redhook

To ask other readers questions about Last Chance Llama Ranch, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Last Chance Llama Ranch

Start your review of Last Chance Llama Ranch
Andrea
Aug 01, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fiction
Total fluff, in the best possible way.
Sheila
Sep 08, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-in-2015
This isn't my usual genre, but I enjoyed this lighthearted and fluffy (get it? Alpacas are fluffy) book. I especially loved Merry's columns, which were clever and entertaining.
Bobi
Jul 09, 2016 rated it did not like it
Shelves: couldn-t-finish
I think the premise of the book is very engaging. It had to have been in order for me to even pick it up to read it. I was very disappointed in all the swearing. I read a few chapters and then chose to stop reading because of the language. I think the story could have able to be written without that element. Especially when the main character is "accused" by her editor of not writing "common" enough. The author of the novel definitely wrote "common" enough! Too common, in my opinion.
Allison Mclean
Aug 06, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Loved the chit lit. Olympic skier crashes and ends up as a travel writer. Don't do what I did column sends her to a small town in New Mexico working on a llama ranch. Totally predictable but sweet story for a light summer read.
Anne Egbert
Feb 20, 2016 rated it really liked it
I usually find fluffy, frothy romance novels annoying as all get out. This one was cute and worth reading, however. The llamas, alpacas and hippies, to say nothing of the other quirky characters made it all worthwhile.
Jennifer Gallagher
This book was great. I was a bit intimidated by the length, but this wasn't too long or boring. 480 pages went by quickly. Obviously I have a llove of llamas so this book was even more up my alley, but the story was compelling and well written. I enjoyed the first person column narratives and the third person story telling. Merry was a relatable character - even though she's a trust fund baby and former olympic skier. She took a bad situation and turned it around. Even the character you don't li ...more
Lori
Oct 23, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: chick-lit
Kris W
Jul 19, 2016 rated it liked it
2.9 stars. This quote from page 469 pretty much sums up the book: "This was getting weirder by the minute." Plus, too much bad language.
Denise
Mar 01, 2019 rated it really liked it
Really enjoyed reading this book!!
Amanda
Aug 20, 2017 rated it really liked it
Fun, fluffy and flirtacious, with lots of cute farm animals to boot! Interesting characters and hilarious situations. Great as a light summer read. I received a copy of this book as a GoodReads giveaway.
Laura Jardine
After hearing about this novel on a book blog, I bought it pretty much based on the title . Apparently I'm unable to resist a book set on a llama ranch. And it certainly didn't disappoint.

Merry Manning was a world champion downhill skier, but after a serious accident, that chapter of her life is over, and she's still adjusting to it. She now works as a travel writer. However, her column has been changed from focusing on high-end travel to being called "Don't Do What I Did." The idea is that she
Mimi
Oct 29, 2015 rated it liked it
A rural town in New Mexico with llama ranchers, a wayward cowboy - esque dude named Sam who who lives in a Hobbit Hole, a well-endowed cafe owner who looks like Jerry Garcia and does needlepoint, Happy Hookers (meaning crocheters of course), hippies, yodelers, and more...the perfect place for an ex - Olympiad whose career was cut short by a devastating ski accident to reinvent herself.

Cute idea, fast read, with a slightly disjointed and predictable story line. My favorite parts involved Merry's
Megan
Aug 15, 2016 rated it it was ok
Shelves: didn-t-finish
This book was one of my library's readers choice books, which I usually quite enjoy. I started this book, while waiting for my daughter to get out of surgery--I wished it wasn't the only book I brought, because while I can tell it would be a story I could enjoy, even make me laugh, it has entirely too much bad language in it. I really read 100 pages more than I should have, but I didn't have anything else to do during the wait, so I tried to skim over the numerous times she used the f word. It's ...more
Marta
Sep 10, 2015 rated it really liked it
Merry Manning is a former Olympic skier with a messed up leg. She lands a job writing a travel column- Don't Do what I Did! for an on line magazine, and through this ends up at a llama farm in the middle of nowhere.

It is easy to care for the colorfully written characters of Agua Milagros. Merry definitely has cringe worth moments, but Fields doesn't take the easy way and plant a twenty something girl drinking in bars to find funny scenes. Instead she puts Merry on a unique adventure that lead
Dianne
May 14, 2016 rated it really liked it
Really enjoyed this book. Very meta how she writes the typical romance trope while Merry lives a very different reality. This book contains so many fun references to LOTR just added to the fun for me. There was more than laughs and I felt really touched by the mother daughter relationship. I had a little trouble getting into it but so worth sticking with it. Will be looking for more work by this author.
Kayla Hammel
Jan 25, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2016-books
this book was fantastic! I loved every minute of it and now want to visit all the llama ranches and pet alpacas and be trampled by baby goats! It was very inspiring when it came to Merry's struggles with both pleasing her mother and feeling like a failure for her injuries. Don't miss a chance to take a trip to this llama ranch!
Batgirl13
Sep 28, 2015 rated it really liked it
50 Book Reading Challenge: A book by a female author

This one was only a few pages short of 500, but well worth the read. The cover caught my eye and I had to read it! I will definitely check out other books by her. The story was well-paced and the romance sweet. Also, I got to see real alpacas while reading this--icing on the cake! :) Well worth the length!
Seaira
Sep 15, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: own
Really enjoyed this book! I actually work at a book store and discovered this while straightening our shelves. I definitely wasn't expecting to look up and see a llama staring back at me. However, I just couldn't resist that face and purchased it on a whim. Was not disappointed, very cute book.
Polly
Jul 16, 2016 rated it it was amazing
What a warm hearted, fun book. I found myself laughing out loud and with a tear in my eye while reading this. Hilary Fields deals with real life situations with humor and dignity. I can't wait for her next book.
Karen
Nov 01, 2016 added it
Shelves: couldn-t-finish
Too much profanity - right from the beginning. I prefer to avoid that, so I did not choose to read more than a few pages.
Patty
Jul 11, 2016 rated it really liked it
Cute story, easy read. Good sit-by-the-pool book.
Kme_17
Aug 16, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I received this as a first read. I love this book. This was a fun funny sweet read. Just great fun read. I love the authors style. Recommended this one to everyone looking for a light read.
A. R.
Mar 08, 2017 rated it did not like it
DNF

After reading through a chapter or two, I decided I just didn't care for the amount of profanity in this book. Decided not to be offended, just not read it.
Eaweishaupl
May 02, 2016 rated it really liked it
I really liked this book. Great characters great location, around Taos, and a good redemption story. Oh and llamas and alpacas
Britt, Book Habitue
Oct 14, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: reader-s-choice
Way too much profanity for my taste, but it's a really cute story.
Micalla Weinstock
Oct 09, 2018 rated it really liked it
Stacy Stosich
Dec 17, 2018 rated it liked it
I picked this up when I was quickly snatching a bunch of books off the shelf before the library closed (mostly picking the readers choice books). This was an entertaining romance novel. At first it seems like it's a bit too...flamboyant and in your face. There is a fairly gratuitous sex scene in an airplane at the beginning. It doesn't get THAT explicit, but meh. Also, the writer LOOOOVES five dollar words. It's like she's obsessed with trying to find some witty turn of phrase. But at the same t ...more
Margaret
Jan 05, 2020 rated it it was ok
Francesca Escamilla
Nov 24, 2019 rated it did not like it
Shelves: did-not-finish
Let me start by saying I absolutely hate to start a book and not finish it! I will absolutely force myself to finish because I want to give the book a fair chance. Let me continue by saying this book was a hard DNF! I picked it up thinking it was going to be fun and flirty and intriguing and all the things that make you want to not put the book down until done. For me, this book was none of those things. The premise sounded fun and somewhere in the beginning I could never really get into it. I m ...more
Sara Schraeder
Feb 03, 2018 rated it did not like it
Kirkus (starred review)
Are you fucking kidding?!!!!? Am I missing something here? Is she married to one of the judges?

I almost never write bad reviews, because I can’t stand the thought of the author reading it and feeling terrible. But this is different (Kirkus starred review?!?)

I am outraged. I got about 50 pages in, an expression of increasing disbelief on my face. Hope fizzled out, and I slung it into the goodwill box. It’s just bad, hackneyed and predictable and formulaic. Not Nicolas Spark
« previous 1 3 next »

• Rumours
  • By the Book
  • Life on the Leash
  • Cicada Summer
  • Taken by Desire
  • St. Francis Society for Wayward Pets
  • The Tourist Attraction (Moose Springs, Alaska #1)
  • A Death at the Dionysus Club (Julian Lynes and Ned Mathey, #2)
  • Hot Target (Troubleshooters, #8)
  • Force of Nature (Troubleshooters, #11)
  • Point of Hopes (Astreiant, #1)
  • All Through the Night (Troubleshooters, #12)
  • Breaking Point (Troubleshooters, #9)
  • Death by Silver (Julian Lynes and Ned Mathey, #1)
  • Fairs' Point (Astreiant, #4)
  • Point of Knives (Astreiant, #2)
  • Point of Dreams (Astreiant, #3)
  • A Single Thread
Born and raised on Manhattan's Upper East Side, I've been escaping those not-so-mean streets by diving into fantasy and romance since earliest memory. I began writing my first novel, a historical romance, at sixteen and was lucky enough to have three romance novels published by the time I was 26. These days, I'm less swashbuckly and more into contemporary women's fiction, writing about quirky, det ...more