Start by marking “Hunting the Divine Fox: An Introduction to the Language of Theology” as Want to Read:
Hunting the Divine Fox: An Introduction to the Language of Theology

Hunting the Divine Fox: An Introduction to the Language of Theology

4.51  ·  Rating details ·  43 Ratings  ·  8 Reviews
Published February 16th 1989 by HarperCollins Publishers Ltd (first published 1974)

To ask other readers questions about Hunting the Divine Fox, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Hunting the Divine Fox

BJ
Jul 10, 2017 rated it liked it
Capon's playful (and too playful as usual) romp through the broadest of Christian theology land.

Though this is not my favorite of his, his use of language is always arresting

If theologians were at a party some would be downright smug party poopers, others would be enjoying themselves professionally, and he'd be the one who was a ton of fun--but had a few too many.
Terri
Feb 10, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: spiritual
This is a theological book that makes you enjoy the beauty and precision of words while you are being captivated by the analogies. It is one of those books that if you were to begin highlighting the best parts you would, in the end, have a neon yellow fully highlit book.

Robert Farrar Capon suggests that, "You will be interested in God's existence only if, in advance of proof, you care about the subject. And that depends on more than mere existence. What does it matter to you if I can prove that
Renada Thompson
Like discovering a whole new country. I can't remember the last time I've been so delighted with a new-to-me author, or have enjoyed a "theology" book so much.
Chris Enstad
Jul 19, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Did you know that theology is supposed to be playful? The science surrounding "play" has gotten some serious attention in recent years, and no more so than the world of faith and religion has been due for some humor and joy itself!
Capon's book is just such a playful gem. I don't mean that Capon does not take faith seriously, it is because he *does* that he wants to free the idea that only bearded serious men can dare have conversations about God! No! Open your Bible, ask questions, and do so kn
Ron Coulter
Nov 10, 2015 rated it really liked it
I didn't love this as much as Kingdom, Grace, Judgment: Paradox, Outrage, and Vindication in the Parables of Jesus. It starts with a strange fable about oysters and starfish that put me off at first. I grew to like it more and more as the book went on. There are topics I wish he would have expanded on, particularly the section on inerrancy.
On to The Mystery of Christ & and Why We Don't Get It
Jamie Howison
May 29, 2013 rated it it was amazing
I've been revisiting this book, in preparation for a sermon I'm preaching at an ordination in a couple of weeks. Capon says these wonderfully outrageous things about ordination - and eucharist, penance, and just about every other marker in the life of the church - which are at the same time so fundamentally true. And his take on the theological quest as being an ongoing hunt for the Divine Fox? Theology should always be this fun. Read this book.

Bob
May 02, 2012 rated it it was amazing
One of my favorite books -- EVER! Speaks of the metaphorical nature and power of words. Shows how misguided (and relatively recent) doctrines of "the literal word of God" and "inerrancy" of scripture actually strangle the very meaning and power of words. Exposes (without directly addressing it) how fear and ignorance led to these two doctrines becoming political litmus tests for faithfulness to God's word in many of our fundamentalist churches.
Nathan
May 10, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: theology
Capon always makes me think and makes that thinking so enjoyable.
Dan Krodel
Dan Schuetz
Apr 18, 2017
Anne Friend
Aug 13, 2014
Robert Farrar Capon was a lifelong New Yorker and served for almost 30 years as a parish priest in the Episcopal Church. His first book, Bed and Board, was published in 1965 and by 1977 left full-time ministry to devote more time to writing books, though he continued to serve the church in various capacities such as assisting priest and Canon Theologian. He has written twenty books on theology, co ...more
More about Robert Farrar Capon...