Start by marking “Which Way to the Wild West?: Everything Your Schoolbooks Didn't Tell You About Westward Expansion” as Want to Read:

History--with the good bits put back. Welcome to the thrilling, tragic, and downright wild adventure of America’s westward expansion.

1805: Explorer William Clark reaches the Pacific Ocean and pens the badly spelled line “Ocian in view! O! the joy!” (Hey, he was an explorer, not a librarian.)
1836: Mexican general Santa Anna surrounds the Alamo, trapping 180 Texans inside
Published September 22nd 2015 by Square Fish (first published July 7th 2009)

To ask other readers questions about Which Way to the Wild West?, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Which Way to the Wild West?

Start your review of Which Way to the Wild West?: Everything Your Schoolbooks Didn't Tell You About Westward Expansion
Jamie
Mar 24, 2010 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: young-adult, history
I've only just started this book, but I LOVE STEVE SHEINKIN'S BOOKS SO MUCH I already want to give it 5 stars. These books make me wish I taught middle school history, instead of 4th grade everything. He makes history so much fun and in a way that makes sense. It so clearly explains which forefathers did what, why the governments did the things they did, and how our country came to be the way it is. I'm currently reading about making the Louisiana purchase from the French; why the Americans ...more
Patrick
So good; so interesting; so sad. The history of the US west for about a century is so concisely summed up here with so many interesting anecdotes. As with his Civil War and Revolutionary War books, most adults would enjoy and benefit from these books as a good way to get the big picture in our heads.

The story of the gold rush was incredibly interesting. The constant background of how bad America killed the native tribes, stole their land, and confined them to reservations is heart breaking. A
carissa
Recommended Ages: grades 5 and up

Learn about the drama, discoveries, dirty deeds, and derring-do that helped win the American West. With a storyteller's voice and attention to the details that make history real and interesting, Sheinken delivers America's greatest adventure.

I am a huge history buff and really enjoyed reading this book. There were a lot of facts about the West that I never knew. The books was broken up into small sections, which helped keep it flowing. The author had a very
Michelle
Mar 15, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Sheinkin opens this book with a sheepish confession that he was a textbook writer, but that his bosses ruined his work by replacing all his really interesting material with boring charts and graphs. He then goes on to assure his readers that this book is loaded with all the "funny, amazing, inspiring, surprising, and disgusting stories" that history books should have. He is telling the truth... it was all those things. Really fun. Great supplemental teaching material for late Elementary and ...more
Owen
Feb 09, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
It was an interesting quick read, this is Steven's strength. It was a fact-packed, interesting adventure and made nonfiction seem like a fantasy. I think I enjoyed it more than its prequel because we didn't learn about it in social studies yet. This is a reread.
Maria
May 29, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
It's so fun to go back and read about the things I didn't appreciate in school in the way Sheinkin approaches the material.
Jessica
History that was informative & exciting, with just the right amount of humor.
Benjamin Land
Oct 03, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I really liked this book. It helped me understand and learn things about the wild west. It really gives you a backround of famous people back then. I would recommend this book to people who want to learn more things about history.
M.M. Crumley
Nov 17, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Sheinkin writes a view of history that isn't sugarcoated. It's very brutal, but also presented in a funny way.
Abby Turner
Jun 10, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: nonfiction, ya
Very interesting stories of the West. Very well presented. Sweeet

Jonathan
Again I have nothing bad to say about Sheinkin, read my other ten reviews about his books and you'll see how much I love him. I guess this book's topic is what made it more difficult than the others for me to get through. I honestly had a hard time finishing this one, but the topic was one I felt didn't have a lot of meat to it and soon became very repetitive. There were still some interesting stories throughout, but it was lacking in comparison to Sheinkin's others. My suggestion is that if you ...more
Becky
Apr 22, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
As is Sheinkin's forte, he weaves many perspectives together to present an enjoyable and readable view of history. In 'Wild West' the subject is more broad, as he details a time period as opposed to a single event. However it is relayed in a personal, anecdotal narrative rather than the broad sweeping textbook style. Overall I came away feeling sad for the treatment of the Native Americans. It concludes with a nice, 'Whatever happened to...?' follow up of the major role players.

My one complaint
Tracy
Nov 16, 2015 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
From what I have read of this author so far I do like his simple and readable format for historical reading. This one was definitely on the side of "for younger kids" but it was still worth a perusal to get a quick overview of what went on in several fronts as America expanded westward. A good way to get a quick perspective of things I hadn't learned since history class and some interesting facts I didn't know either.
Matan Ruggiero
Feb 06, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
One part about this book that i really liked was about the early towns. One of them was a town that had rich European boys come over because their parents wanted them to learn to farm and such. The town even had a bowling alley. When the parents finally realized what was happening the money stopped coming in and the town was abandoned.
Karen Arendt
Mar 29, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I absolutely loved his other two books on the American Revolution and the Civil War. Can't wait to see how he tells the Westward Expansion!

Not as familiar with the curriculum on westward expansion, so this was a little less interesting. Shenkin still has the great narrative style, that I enjoyed in his other two books!
Rachel
Nov 22, 2009 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: older-childrens
Excellent book, just as good as the first two. Engaging, hilarious and the author did a great job in picking stories from a totally diverse group of people. These books are what history books should be like. I would recommend these books for all ages and here's hoping the author continues to churn them out.
Margo Tanenbaum
Another terrific book from Steve Sheinkin of all the good bits from history that your textbooks left out. This one starts with Lewis and Clark, covers the Alamo, the Oregon Trail, Gold Rush, building the railroad, Custer, the Indian Wars, conflicts between ranchers and farmers, and the end of the Wild West. He supplies a good bibliography and also a "whatever happened to..." section.
Rad
This book tells the big picture of how the west was born, but it also includes little tidbits we don't normally learn about. The way the book was written made the history really easy to follow, which for a history-hater like me is important. There was even some humor! Now that I like.
Joe
Sep 16, 2016 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Overall I liked the book. However, for me, this one didn't have the rich language and the things I love about his other nonfiction--the isolated stories he explores in greater depth. Still, it was a fun read. Reminds me of Nathan Hale (without as many illustrations).
Alison
Oct 06, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is a great book to give to kids who like the who is or what was series but are looking for something longer. It's well written and easy to read and covers a very interesting period of American history
Erin
Sep 13, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Wow. In a lot of ways white people suck. Great book.
wildct2003
Jul 27, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: h0117-2
Excellent collection of historical events and anecdotes of the west. Good bibliography for further reading. Fun to read.
Ben Hamm
Oct 21, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A great book
another great book by steven sheinkin
Susan Jones
Apr 17, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Boy, I sure learn a lot of Steve Sheinkin's books!
Jenn
Feb 28, 2013 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Another fast read and a good jumping point if you want to learn a little about some US history.
Chelsey
Mar 13, 2016 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: ra-ya, ra-mg, 2016
For younger audiences than his more famous books, and still fast-paced and attention grabbing.
Megan
enjoyed it but a lot of typos were quite annoying
Kate
Jan 15, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A good collection of stories about life in West during the time in which the country was expanding. I think my history students will like this a lot.
PWRL
Oct 16, 2015 marked it as to-read
Shelves: 2015-new
SM

• Visualising The Beatles
  • Son of Havana: A Baseball Journey from Cuba to the Big Leagues and Back
  • They Called Us Enemy
  • The Last Kids on Earth and the Zombie Parade (Last Kids on Earth, #2)
  • The Soviet Union: A Very Short Introduction
  • The European Union: A Very Short Introduction
  • Profit Over People: Neoliberalism and Global Order
  • Economics: The User's Guide
  • The Battle of Hackham Heath (Ranger's Apprentice: The Early Years #2)
  • Imagined Communities: Reflections on the Origin and Spread of Nationalism (Revised Edition)
  • Levi Strauss and Blue Jeans (Inventions and Discovery series) (Graphic Library: Inventions and Discovery)
  • Los girasoles ciegos
  • California: An Interpretive History
  • Marx: A Very Short Introduction
  • La Segunda Guerra Mundial contada para escépticos
  • Estado y revolución
  • Neoliberalism: A Very Short Introduction
  • The Upstairs Room
From: http://stevesheinkin.com/about/

I was born in Brooklyn, NY, and my family lived in Mississippi and Colorado before moving back to New York and settling in the suburbs north of New York City. As a kid my favorite books were action stories and outdoor adventures: sea stories, searches for buried treasure, sharks eating people… that kind of thing. Probably my all-time favorite was a book called