Start by marking “Your Next Breath (Catherine Ling, #4)” as Want to Read:
Your Next Breath (Catherine Ling, #4)

Your Next Breath

(Catherine Ling #4)

SHE CAN RUN FROM THE PAST.
Catherine Ling created a brand-new life for herself, far from her rough beginnings on the streets of Hong Kong. But someone has followed her trail...and is playing a deadly game with her, striking closer to her heart with each blow. First, there's the death of the former prostitute who helped Catherine when she was still a child. Next, the CIA oper
Published September 29th 2015 by St. Martin's Press (first published April 28th 2015)

To ask other readers questions about Your Next Breath, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Your Next Breath

Alex is The Romance Fox
I It’s been over 20 years since I read The Face of Deception, https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/2... , the 1st book in Iris Johansen’s Eve Duncan Series and have since been following the life of Eve, a forensic sculptor who has been searching for her small daughter, Bonnie, who had gone missing when she was seven years old.

Over time, I joined her on her mission to finding the answers about her child and along the way have met characters that have been part of her quest.

Catherine Ling, a character first introduced in book #11, Chasing the Night, https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/8... , where E
Nancy Steinle gummel
Your Next Breath by Iris Johansen is a first reads win and I'm giving my honest opinion. Johansen writes mysteries well. Her characters are defined clearly and new ones are incorporated integrally. The stories follow a coarse but they can be read individually as well. Johansen's favorite character is Eve Duncan. this book follow the path of one of Eve's friends Catherine Ling. Catherine has made a mortal enemy of Santos when she killed his wife with a shot between her eyes. three of her friends ...more
Jim Angstadt
May 23, 2015 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I keep thinking this is a made-for-the-movies story.
Characters: cardboard.
Dialog: trite.
Plot: fast and predictable.
Two thumbs down.

Notes while reading:

- My first Iris Johansen read.
- Dialog reminds me of some hard-boiled detective novels from the 1940s or 50s.
- So far, not much character developement.
- Two major characters, and 2 minor ones, communicate by mental telepathy; no kidding.

May 05, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Another excellent book by Johansen. Your Next Breath was one of those books that was excellent from start to finish. I absolutely loved how so many of Johansen's characters were in this book like Eve and Joe from the series who are a part of their own series and then of course Catherine Ling who was the main character of the series this book was a part of. The interaction of the two series and how at the end Johansen set up the next Eve Duncan book was brilliant.
Now for this book itself I
Linda Munro
Mar 20, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Although most books were taken out of my 2014 ‘to-read’ book list, this book remained. Iris Johansen is one of my favorite authors and is best known for her forensic anthropologist, Eve Duncan books. In these books, Johansen has introduced other characters; some of which have taken on lives of their own, thus they have begun their own series of books. This is one such character and one such book. The character is Catherine Ling, a CIA agent, recruited in China when she was just 14 years-old; the ...more
Sussie Hansen
As usual Iris Johansen did not disappoint.
The book was a nice read, with enough excitement for me.
I enjoy that there is a bit of the occult in there, as I believe
that we can read each others mind.
Eve
Nov 17, 2016 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Your Next Breath by Iris Johansen
Series: Catherine Ling, book 4
Romantic Suspense / Mystery

YOUR NEXT BREATH opens up with a murder in Boskar, a remote village in Russia. A local man discovers the body of Olena Petrov, a former prostitute who helped Catherine when she was out on the street. Nearly at the same time, Robert Jantzen, a CIA operative who had worked very closely with Catherine in the past, is murdered. And Kirov Slantkey, the informant who helped Catherine free Luke, is sh
Kathy Martin
Jun 11, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Catherine Ling is in all kinds of trouble when an old enemy decides to kill everyone she loves. But Catherine, despite her feeling that she is a loner, has many more friends than she thought. When she realizes that her friends are at risk, one of the first people she contacts in Eve Duncan. But not in time to keep Jane from being hurt and needing Caleb to help her heal.

Eve is assisted by Richard Cameron who is a sort of friend, sort of adversary who wants a relationship with Catherin
♆ BookAddict  ✒ La Crimson Femme
I love this spin off series. This is a page turner for me. Catherine is kicks ass. Her odd relationship with Richard is fun. I love her son Luke. He isn't a usual kid. He's a good boy with killer instincts.

In this one, I'm not sure what the takeaway is other than kill your enemies. Putting them in jail does absolutely nothing. Basically, the "good" guys aka cops and law enforcement are always at a disadvantage because they have people they care about. It's almost as if they need to be single le
Cindy
Feb 04, 2015 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: could-not-finish
I have enjoyed Iris Johansen's books in the past - the Eve Duncan series, but that storyline with Bonnie dragged on too long. I haven't read any previous Catherine Ling books so maybe I jumped into this at the wrong point, but I found the Catherine character extremely annoying. She behaves as though the CIA were meant to serve her explicitly. Instead of being thankful to Cameron for all of his help, she is rude and ungracious in the extreme. The book seems to be written more along the lines of a ...more
Michele
Aug 02, 2015 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I read the Face of deception and a few following books so was interested when I saw this in the library! Wow what a boring book and unsympathetic character is Ling!! And what's with all the psychic whoo whoo. Only finished it as I had taken it away for a conference and had to read something on The plane
Sandy
May 26, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
The problem with picking up an author after they've written a ton of books and reading the entire Even Duncan series and now reading the Ling series is that there are things that have happened after this book that confuses one self. Took me a while to remember that Eve probably didn't have her other child at this point and never any mention of Cara.
Elizabeth Kane
I do not recall ever reading Iris Johansen before, but I doubt I will again. Too busy, too contrived...too many characters with "special powers" that are untenable and undefined. .... fast read because the writing level is pretty low. Not my style of author.
Jan Barrows
Oct 29, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book is a book you find hard to put down. I love the characters and cant wait to read another book with these characters. I love Eve Duncan but Catherine Ling is another favorite of mine.
Meredith VanOordt
Mar 14, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
There was so much detail in most of the book, but toward the end it changed. Don't get me wrong. I LOVE Iris' work, but where was the detail about finding the body w/nametag! And why did it seem that you just threw Bonnie in at the end, when you already had a tie-in for Jane?..
Bridget
Jun 13, 2015 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I'm sure this story actually ends up being better than a 2 stars, but I have had it with female characters who behave stupidly. When the women act like they have more "brawn than brains", I am out of here.
Lynne Davis
First time reading Iris Johansen - not a fan of her writing style. She tells a lot of the story through the dialogue between the characters.
Maureen
Meh. I don't know why I bothered reading this as I didn't really like the other Catherine Ling stories. The dialog is flat; the plot predictable.
Dawn
“Catherine Ling is one of the CIA’s most prized operatives. Raised on the streets of Hong Kong, she was pulled into the agency at the age of fourteen. If life has taught her anything, it is not to get attached, but there are two exceptions to that rule: her son Luke and her mentor Hu Chang. Luke was kidnapped at age two, and now, nine years later, he has astonishingly been returned to her. Catherine vows never to fail him again.

Now, just as she is building a relationship with Luke, it seems tha
Jodi
This was the 4th Catherine Ling book and it was a bit of a disappointment. Catherine is being stalked by an old enemy and everyone she loves is in danger. Even Eve and Joe are not immune nor is Jane who has an interesting supporting character role here. In fact, almost all the key characters in Johansen's books make an appearance here. It's just that everyone was flat. Although the original Catherine Ling story was interesting, she feels a little one-note in this book. We know she's driven but s ...more
Alison Gilley kentch
Always love a good Iris Johansen book that includes Eve Duncan. This one was a little confusing (maybe because it had been so long since I had read about Eve and Company). But enjoyed the read, the suspense, the relationship that finally developed between Catherine and her son. Many twists and turns. Great read for the first one of the year.
Shirley Conley
This was the first book I have read by this author and I found it hard to get into. It was just OK. It was not very believable. Lots of FBI/CIA cloak and dagger stuff. Not my style. Sounds like the ending leads to another book in this series. This was #4 and I have not and will not read the others.
Linda George
Oct 23, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Catherine Ling is a crossover character from Johansen's Eve Duncan series and is now in a series of her own. There are recurring characters who make appearances in this novel filled with unexpected connections.
Patrick
Dec 24, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The action starts on the first page and continues to the last. Other characters from other Johansen books are featured. I can see where if someone is not familiar with the Johansen universe it might be a complicated read.
Leigh Ann
Jul 25, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: audio-book
Another winner by Iris Johansen. This follows the story line of Catherine Ling in the side story of Eve Duncan. Eve Duncan shows up in this story as another major character. Am really enjoying this author!
Carolyn
Jul 13, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I forgot how much I enjoy Iris Johansen books. This one didn't disappoint me. Characters from other books were in this book but I still remembered most of them. I will bring home another one of hers from my next trip to the library
Lorna
Aug 28, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
So so... I feel certain authors tend to write in a particular cadence, and Iris Johansen is one of them. Unfortunately this makes the books very predictable. I flew through it, but not with real enjoyment.
Donald Nitti
Apr 09, 2018 rated it it was ok
I would have rated this book higher if there had not been all the psychic stuff.
Lyn Jansen
Sep 03, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Excellent continuation of this character, Ling

Love when a story continues. Keeps you wanting to read the next adventure. Excellent read. Love the author s stories
Theresa
Nov 10, 2018 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
It was kind of boring as chapter after things were the same pattern until the last few chapters.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »
Review and recomendation. 3 12 Jul 10, 2015 06:52AM

• The Harvest Killings
  • A Deadly Web (Bishop Files, #2)
  • Led by Lies (Lily Blanchette #1)
  • Amongst My Enemies
  • The Dead Play On (Cafferty and Quinn, #3)
  • Into Darkness (Eric Ritter Spy Thriller, #2)
  • Kill Again (Claire Waters, #2)
  • Cheat the Hangman
  • The Seance Society
  • Too Lucky to Live
  • Sand City (Tractus Fynn Mystery, Book 1)
  • After the Evil – A Jake Roberts Novel (Book 1)
  • Black Monday (Stan Turner, #6)
  • The Cowboy Way: A Creed in Stone Creek\Part Time Cowboy
  • 65 Below
  • Compulsion (Max Revere, #2)
  • A Haunting of the Bones (Bell Elkins, #3.5)
  • The Mamacita Murders
Iris Johansen is a New York Times bestselling author. She began her writing after her children left home for college. She first achieved success in the early 1980s writing category romances. In 1991, Johansen began writing suspense historical romance novels, starting with the publication of The Wind Dancer. In 1996 Johansen switched genres, turning to crime fiction, with which she has had great success.

She l

Catherine Ling (5 books)
  • Chasing The Night (Eve Duncan, #11; Catherine Ling, #1)
  • What Doesn't Kill You (Catherine Ling, #2)
  • Live to See Tomorrow (Catherine Ling, #3)
  • Vendetta (Catherine Ling, #5)