Start by marking “Nausicaä of the Valley of the Wind, Vol. 5 (Nausicaä of the Valley of the Wind, #5)” as Want to Read:

Nausicaä of the Valley of the Wind, Vol. 5

(Nausicaä of the Valley of the Wind #5)

The Torumekian army is moving house, destroy all in its path, the remaining Doroks have set their sights on Torumekia and Emperor Namulith is plotting to form a joint Dorok-Torumekian kingdom. Meanwhile, four bodies of mold have spawned, expelling heavy miasma and eating everything in their path as they try and merge. Has the long period of purification begun?
Published June 30th 2004 by VIZ Media (first published January 1st 1991)

To ask other readers questions about Nausicaä of the Valley of the Wind, Vol. 5, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Nausicaä of the Valley of the Wind, Vol. 5

Start your review of Nausicaä of the Valley of the Wind, Vol. 5 (Nausicaä of the Valley of the Wind, #5)
Mitchell
And here I thought this series was turning a corner with the last volume. This one I found even more obscure, even more hard to follow. As always the art is still cool. And there may still be a story buried under there somewhere. But it was hard for me to track anything in this one.
Barbara McEwen
Still love this series but this volume was more action than any character or plot development.
Jenny Clark
Dec 18, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: viz-manga
A must read for any one, but especially for Miyazaki fans. A hatd hitting environmental warning story. Is man kind doomed to destroy itself? This volune has some good charactet development and a suprise ending. I love the interactions between all the characters as well as we find out different sides to them all.
Chris
Dec 16, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: manga
😱
Janne Paananen
Tuli yliannostus Nausicaän seikkailuja, joten pidin pienen tauon sarjan etenemisessä. Tuulen laakson Nausicaä on jollain tapaa jopa pakahduttava ja tukahduttava sarjakuva kaikessa sekasorrossaan ja visuaalisessa yltäkylläisyydessään.

Viides osa tuo taistoon uudenlaisia pahoja otuksia... kutsutaan niitä vaikkapa kaktusmiehiksi. Luonto on entistäkin enemmän sekaisin myrkyllisten pilvien levitessä yhä syvemmälle asutuille seuduille. Myös nuo mainiot oomut vaeltavat jättilaumana kuolemaan
Amy
Jul 21, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2016-reads, manga
struggle
existence of humans = corruption of the world
rtc
❄ Pixelflocke ❄
Die Geschichte verdichtet sich immer mehr. Nausicaä versteht den Wald, die Insekten und Organismen immer besser und lüftet langsam die Geheimnisse um die große Verheerung. Auch scheinen ihre Kräfte von Mal zu Mal stärker zu werden.

Kushana ist mir auch immer mehr ans Herz gewachsen und mittlerweile leide ich richtig mit ihr mit. Der neue heilige Kaiser ist ebenfalls sehr spannend und verspricht noch für viel Aufregung und Drama zu sorgen.

Ich bin sehr gespannt auf die letzten beiden B
Naoé
Jun 08, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Read it, loved it still want to be Nausicaa and the protect the world and have mysterious power.
The manga is bit more fantasy than the anime with more fantastical elements and other mystical elements. I enjoyed that a lot actually. (I still may enjoyed the anime better maybe)
Angelika Fuller
Apr 21, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Such an amazing story...and so applicable to real life!
Kristina
Jul 07, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I'll have to re-read The Odyssey now that I know where Nausicaa comes from and the Heedras aren't fooling any one. We all know they are bloodthirsty cyclops.
Emma Lindhagen
Oct 16, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: comics, fantasy, sci-fi
My favorite volume so far. Dang, Kushana is such a badass!
Babs
May 08, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: manga
Things are getting very bad indeed. Yupa and Nausicaä figure out their own parts to play.
A special, sensitive story.
Will
Sep 13, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Excellent character development of Nausicaa in this volume!
Roy
Apr 09, 2010 rated it it was amazing
The seminal Miyazaki is a sight to behold. His themes have much of their essential properties so early on in his work, and yet the variations on these themes never fail to capture additional material. Compare Future Boy Conan with Ponyo on a Cliff by the Sea and Castle in the Sky and you notice how similar they are while being arresting for different emotional tones and qualities. Conan's boyishness and utter innocence, Patzu's bravery, and Ponyo's watery energetic magic have the same amount of ...more
Nigel
Jan 03, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: childrens-ya, comics
The daikasho is in full flow, the mutant slime molds are converging, the Dorok empire has ousted his younger brother, who held the real power because of his supernatural powers. The Dorok lands are over-run with dying insects sprouting the seeds of a new fungal forest poisonous to humans. The people flee and famine, pestilence a long, bloody, futile conflict over the remaining patches of clear land seems inevitable. The forest may be a natural process to clear toxic pollution from the ground, bu ...more
Raj
Aug 08, 2010 rated it really liked it
Princess Nausicaä's quest to understand the nature of the spores and the Sea of Corruption nears its end in volume five of the series. As the Dorok emperor poisons the younger brother in whose shadow he has lived for decades (due to his lack of supernatural powers) and makes plans to invade the Torumekian empire, this human-scale politics is played out against the backdrop of the apocalypse that has been unleashed and is threatening to destroy the few remaining viable lands that humans can inhab ...more
Megan
This continues the story of Nausicaa, a brave princess fighting to stave off the annihilation her world is threatened with in the aftermath of an apocalyptic ecological war. The various characters introduced in previous volumes are spread across the world engaged in their own efforts to fight the spore, the insects, and each other. This installation in the story of Nausicaa loses some of the steam possessed by the previous volumes, but the drawings are still wonderful and I have faith that the m ...more
Jayme
It's still a love/hate relationship with this series, but I'm going to truck through to the end. In this volume, the mutant spores are spreading and the forest is beginning to grow in the villages. Thousands are dying and there doesn't really seem to be a happy end in sight.

My favourite parts about this are the environmental musings, from both Nausicaa and other characters, as they destroy their world yet again. It's an interesting idea to be writing a story set in a future where the
Jessi
Apr 15, 2016 rated it really liked it
It was a little serendipitous that I found this series. I was reading another manga and saw an ad for this in the back of the book, then the next day saw these at the library. This story has beautiful art and a deep engaging story. Now, I can watch the movie. As an aside, I'm unsure how they could possibly condense this series into one movie, but I'm sure it'll be great since it's Mayazaki.
Mercè
Jan 14, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Este tomo está lleno de acción de principio a fin. Además todos los interrogantes se van respondiendo y se está preparando el final de todo lo que se ha estado gestando hasta ahora. No creo que aguante mucho antes de leer el último tomo.
Devero
Aug 29, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
La storia prosegue molto bene anche in questo quinto volume, anche se inizia a sentirsi un lieve scollamento nel ritmo della storia.
Deb
Aug 07, 2007 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Miyazaki & epic story fans
Shelves: manga, favorites
This series is slow to pick up the pace, but stick with it until the 3rd or 4th book and you'll be amazed at how much more depth & addicting storyline the books have than the movie.
Patrik Sahlstrøm
Nov 01, 2015 rated it really liked it
Personally I'm not too fond of the style of the drawings, somewhat too chaotic for my taste and IMHO don't quite match the dark mood of the story. Brilliant story though!
Darren
Mar 06, 2011 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Epic
Steph
Dec 07, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: comics
fuckin sick giant cactus dudes hell yeah
James
Sep 02, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: comicbooks, fantasy
I like how the story develops the villains and some of the villains change their minds after some major events.
Tina Olah
Aug 08, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Continuing an excellent series. This volume felt quite a bit more depressing and hopeless than some of the previous...I wonder at this point if the ending will be a sad or happy one!

• Akira, Vol. 6
  • Planetes, Volume 2 (Planetes, #2)
  • Phoenix, Vol. 4: Karma
  • PLUTO: Urasawa x Tezuka, Volume 004
  • Barefoot Gen, Volume Eight: Merchants of Death
  • Eden: It's an Endless World, Volume 9 (Eden: It's an Endless World, #9)
  • Un zoo en hiver
  • Mushishi, Vol. 5
宮崎 駿

Hayao Miyazaki was born in Tokyo on January 5, 1941. He started his career in 1963 as an animator at the studio Toei Douga, and was subsequently involved in many early classics of Japanese animation. From the beginning, he commanded attention with his incredible ability to draw, and the seemingly-endless stream of movie ideas he proposed.

In 1971, he moved to A Pro with Isao

Nausicaä of the Valley of the Wind (9 books)
  • Nausicaä of the Valley of the Wind, Vol. 1 (Nausicaä of the Valley of the Wind, #1)
  • Nausicaä of the Valley of the Wind, Vol. 2 (Nausicaä of the Valley of the Wind, #2)
  • Nausicaä of the Valley of the Wind, Vol. 3 (Nausicaä of the Valley of the Wind, #3)
  • Nausicaä of the Valley of the Wind, Vol. 4 (Nausicaä of the Valley of the Wind, #4)
  • Nausicaä of the Valley of the Wind, Vol. 6 (Nausicaä of the Valley of the Wind, #6)
  • Nausicaä of the Valley of the Wind, Vol. 7 (Nausicaä of the Valley of the Wind, #7)
  • Nausicaä of the Valley of the Wind, Deluxe Edition 1