Start by marking “Nausicaä of the Valley of the Wind, Vol. 4 (Nausicaä of the Valley of the Wind, #4)” as Want to Read:

Nausicaä of the Valley of the Wind, Vol. 4

(Nausicaä of the Valley of the Wind #4)

A monk warns Nausicaä that omens of an apocalypse, Daikaisho, will appear soon and the forest will boil over to cover the land. His predictions appear to be coming true when she arrives in the Forest in the South and discovers Lord Miralupa has developed mutant spores for biological warfare, but the mould begins growing uncontrollably and there's no antidote.
Published June 2nd 2004 by VIZ Media (first published March 1st 1987)

To ask other readers questions about Nausicaä of the Valley of the Wind, Vol. 4, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Nausicaä of the Valley of the Wind, Vol. 4

Start your review of Nausicaä of the Valley of the Wind, Vol. 4 (Nausicaä of the Valley of the Wind, #4)
Jul 16, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A complex story with no easy answers, well partnered with complex art and well developed characters. I really fell in love with Nausicaa by the end... Not the dark, not the light, but ~right~, and doing the best she could for everyone. This manga is respect worthy and beautiful.

Rating: Difficult
There is typical fighting violence, I would say about PG13. Mostly it's swordfighting, though a baby Ohmu (A giant bug) is tortured in one sad scene, and the story in general gets darker
Barbara McEwen
Jul 27, 2019 rated it really liked it
Oh my, things are looking dire. Must read next installment!
Taylor Green
Jul 11, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: manga, favorites, fantasy
Work dragged me away from this, the only reason I didn't read the entire first volume (I had a four-in-one of these) in a day. This is a wonderful story. I was almost in literal pain to come back and read it.
Babs
May 06, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: manga
Doroks have been weaponising the spores. Bad things happen. Nausicaä confounds her enemies, because she is ossum.
Harold Ogle
After reading this, I'm more impressed than I already was with Miyazaki, and that's saying a lot. I've often vacillated between regret and relief that I didn't babble and gush with stars in my eyes when I met him at the North American premiere of "Laputa" as a teenager (some years before he sold the English-language rights to Disney). All I did was shake his hand and thank him for his great work. My respect and admiration have only grown since then.

By this volume, the story is far mo
Mitchell
This one was clearer then previous volumes. The art was still awesome. But I mostly followed something that seemed very much to be a story. Sure it was still weird but maybe there's actual sense here. And it was more readable. 3.5 of 5.
Kirsten
I am loving this series! This volume had some particularly striking artwork; the scene where the God Warrior is being transported by air and you see its face and body melting in and out of the clouds is downright terrifying.
Starbubbles
Aug 07, 2009 rated it really liked it
Shelves: graphic-novel
it had another slow beginning, but as the story progressed, it snowballed and became highly addictive by the end.
Zach Schmidt
Apr 11, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Upon just finishing the fourth installment of Hayao Miyazaki’s Nausicaa of the Valley of the Wind, I have to say I was very impressed with this installment. It added to the universe in which he had created and I enjoyed seeing the different characters on their journey throughout the story while building up to what I will presume to be the end of the series.

The third installment was not my favorite because of the battles, which seems to take place over most of the book. Maybe I’m biased, but I a
Naoé
Dec 16, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites, 2018
We see clearly now the distinction between the movie and the manga. Everything that happened now doesn't take place in the movie at all and I enjoyed discovering this new part of the story.
Nausicaä is still on of my favorite female character of all time and I love reading her story. I love the message of the entire series and it's something that is really close to my heart (I mean for exemple every one of my best friends know that if I could have a fictional pet I would definitely have a f
Jenny Clark
Mar 10, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: viz-manga
Nausicaa is coming across more people and seeing even more what war does, and learning more about the forest and insects. The God Warrior comes into play a bit here, and I love how she is able to turn her foes to her side, if she is given half a chance.
The forest being used for bio- warfare is quite interesting as well, as it is relevant even today, with worries about bio agents being used against people.
This is a great series, that I am sad to have to stop here, since my library and coun
Jill
Nov 11, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Woah, that’s one major cliffhanger, love that this is in solidly new territory, and of course we get to travel much further and it’s not as battle-heavy as the last one. Of course there is still war and people’s heads getting eaten clean off their bodies, (yikes!) but there is some interesting stuff going on too.

Make sure you have access yo the next one before finishing this!!
Nov 10, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: reviewed, manga, 4-5-stars
The tension is building as the various subplots cross each other, and we learn more about the Doroks and their plan with the spores and insects. Absolutley explosive action with a super intense ending.
Peter
Oct 05, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Continues to both grow and maintain being a great story.
Chris
Dec 16, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: manga
The maps and posters in each of these volumes are really nice.
Will
Sep 13, 2018 rated it really liked it
This volume felt a little more disparate than many of the others. Still great!
Michelle Mary
Nov 08, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This is my favorite book ever<33
Emma Lindhagen
Oct 12, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fantasy, sci-fi, comics
This series gets more interesting the deeper into the lore we get!
Kristina
Jul 05, 2017 rated it it was amazing
In order to live, you must be willing to die. Even the writer and artist of the manga gets it, this is a timeless story.
Jan
Oct 24, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Volume four & final book in the set. Personal choices abound and coping with life as it comes at you.
I love this set of books.
Angelika Fuller
Apr 21, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I cannot wait to watch the movie!
Nigel
Jan 02, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: childrens-ya, comics
Nausicaa departs from the besieged town and heads south to find the answers to the mystery of the southern forest. Kushana and Kurotowa leave on a mission of their own - to steal ships to rescue her besieged Third Army. Yupa and company travel through the forest and meet with the crew of the gunship. A massive migration of insects has begun, drawn south by the artificial spores created by the Dorok scientists, possibly triggering a catastrophic extension of the miasmic forest called the daikasho ...more
May 25, 2012 rated it really liked it
So far, it's great. The art is detailed, though a little hard to get into at first. The story is deep and epic, with complex situations with no easy answers. It's exciting to see each new problem and revelation as they come, despite the pain each might cause. Some moments are heart wrenching, and it's easy to really feel for Nausicaa and hold the same 'save everyone' desire she does. This is, in fact, a little bit of a downer so far because of that very wish; it seems impossible to save everyone ...more
Izlinda
Oct 21, 2008 rated it really liked it
The end of the series, at least from this publisher. I found it very enlightening, and brings up good questions about humans and the environment, and repercussions for our actions. It also made me wonder about life and what is life, and free will, and what kind of path is best when life is on the brink of despair and devastation. There are some new characters introduced in this book, which makes it a bit hard to keep track of them. There were a few sad moments, as well.
Jessi
Apr 15, 2016 rated it really liked it
It was a little serendipitous that I found this series. I was reading another manga and saw an ad for this in the back of the book, then the next day saw these at the library. This story has beautiful art and a deep engaging story. Now, I can watch the movie. As an aside, I'm unsure how they could possibly condense this series into one movie, but I'm sure it'll be great since it's Mayazaki.
Jayme
Kinda want this series to wrap it up. They go a little too slowly for my taste. But I'm not ready to pack it in yet, I want to see how it ends.

This volume covered more battles between the different peoples and a new spore mutation that's threatening to spread into the villages.
Jane Francis
Jul 02, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Awesome series. I especially enjoyed the illustrations in this volume.
Michael
via NYPL - Still interesting, but still riddling with clarity issues.

• Akira, Vol. 6
  • PLUTO: Urasawa x Tezuka, Volume 003
  • Planetes, Volume 3  (Planetes, #3)
  • Children of the Sea, Volume 5 (Children of the Sea, #5)
  • Barefoot Gen, Volume Nine: Breaking Down Borders
  • Eden: It's an Endless World, Volume 3 (Eden: It's an Endless World, #3)
  • Saturn Apartments, Vol. 3 (Saturn Apartments #3)
  • Phoenix, Vol. 5: Resurrection
  • Lone Wolf and Cub, Vol. 15: Brothers of the Grass
宮崎 駿

Hayao Miyazaki was born in Tokyo on January 5, 1941. He started his career in 1963 as an animator at the studio Toei Douga, and was subsequently involved in many early classics of Japanese animation. From the beginning, he commanded attention with his incredible ability to draw, and the seemingly-endless stream of movie ideas he proposed.

In 1971, he moved to A Pro with Isao

Nausicaä of the Valley of the Wind (9 books)
  • Nausicaä of the Valley of the Wind, Vol. 1 (Nausicaä of the Valley of the Wind, #1)
  • Nausicaä of the Valley of the Wind, Vol. 2 (Nausicaä of the Valley of the Wind, #2)
  • Nausicaä of the Valley of the Wind, Vol. 3 (Nausicaä of the Valley of the Wind, #3)
  • Nausicaä of the Valley of the Wind, Vol. 5 (Nausicaä of the Valley of the Wind, #5)
  • Nausicaä of the Valley of the Wind, Vol. 6 (Nausicaä of the Valley of the Wind, #6)
  • Nausicaä of the Valley of the Wind, Vol. 7 (Nausicaä of the Valley of the Wind, #7)
  • Nausicaä of the Valley of the Wind, Deluxe Edition 1