Start by marking “Jacques Pépin Heart Soul in the Kitchen” as Want to Read:
Jacques Pépin Heart  Soul in the Kitchen

Jacques Pépin Heart Soul in the Kitchen

In the companion book to his final PBS series, the world-renowned chef shows his close relationship to the land and sea as he cooks for close friends and family.

Jacques Pépin Heart & Soul in the Kitchen is an intimate look at the celebrity chef and the food he cooks at home with family and friends—200 recipes in all. There are the simple dinners Jacques prepares for his wife,/>Jacques
Published October 6th 2015 by Rux Martin/Houghton Mifflin Harcourt

To ask other readers questions about Jacques Pépin Heart Soul in the Kitchen, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Jacques Pépin Heart Soul in the Kitchen

Start your review of Jacques Pépin Heart Soul in the Kitchen
Marta
Oct 26, 2015 rated it really liked it
Great photos and personal essays about food make this a really wonderful cook book read. I have a crush on him- his accent, charm and confidence are so appealing, but I also think this is one of his more pretty yet accessible cook books for every day recipes.
Mona Nomura
Apr 03, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Cover to cover the book, recipes and photos are just as classic and lovely as the man himself. I've been a huge fan of Jacques Pepin and religiously watched him on PBS before the "foodie" revolution. A definite must have for every home cook and entertainer.
Nov 21, 2015 rated it really liked it
I liked this book a lot, and bought it for my husband. The recipes are good, and definitely able to be made in my home kitchen. I made two of the dishes and my children loved them - all-around winner!
Rooks
Jan 01, 2016 rated it really liked it
Everything looks incredibly tasty, reasonably simple, and the ingredient lists aren't prohibitive. Will update after making recipes, but the four stars is for my initial impression.
Beth Cato
Oct 23, 2019 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: cookbook, 2019, borrowed
I borrowed this through Prime Reads.

Jacques Pepin has published tons of cookbooks over the years. In this one, he says he wanted to collect the recipes that he likes to make. The emphasis here is on foods for entertaining and savory meals. There are very few recipes for breads or desserts, and many of those are shortcut-style recipes (use existing brioche or madelines, that kind of thing) rather than making them from scratch.

Many of the recipes do look good. However, they
Mar 10, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I love this book. Everything I've made in it has been flavorful, healthy, and simple to make. We love the Tomatoes Provencale, Parisian Potage with Country Bread, Garlic Escargot in Baked Potatoes, Chocolate Pistachio Biscotti. It's all wonderful. As icing on the cake, the book is peppered with charming watercolors from Jacques.
Kelsey Shenk
Jun 22, 2016 rated it really liked it
Beautifully done cookbook - had some great recipes and lots of great stories from Chef author. He seems like someone I would want to sit down with and pick his brain.
Carla
Oct 19, 2015 rated it liked it
Shelves: cookery, skimmed
I'd love to see a book of his artwork. Charming.
Mary
Jan 14, 2019 rated it it was amazing

Pepin, one of the most well known chefs and cookbook authors alive today, created this cookbook to reflect his home cooking, which includes his French background but also Mexican, Asian and Italian influences. In the intro, Pepin says his goal is to cook really good food that isn’t fussy. This is not, he states, about a culinary experience! And this is a very practical cookbook, accessible to almost any cook.
Pictures are a combination of Pepin’s paintings, food and family.
Directions
Leslie Parker
Sep 18, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I love Jacques Pepin and I would marry this man! I want him to cook for me everyday but as he is taken by such a beautiful woman, I will stand for seconds and make his recipes as I pretend to hang out with just about the coolest person on this Earth. This is a wonderful blend of fabulous recipes, funny stories, amazing art work (The man can paint!!!) and easy to follow recipes for everyone. If you do not like his tomato- eggplant gratin served with warm, crispy bread there is something seriously ...more
Don Gillette
Nov 12, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The stories are as good as the recipes in this great tome by a grand master.
Maybe not for everyday cooking, but from time-to-time, I'll pull this out and give one of the recipes a try if it looks interesting. I have never been disappointed.
Jacques Pepin is an engaging professional and this peek into his life and his kitchen was super.
Will Kelsau
Mar 24, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Simple and Easy

Endless great recipes that are simple and home style. Prefect for impressing family and friends. I am pleased with this cookbook. The recipes are open ended enough to add your own heart and soul but still be delicious. I highly recommend this cookbook. It will not sit somewhere in the Amazon cloud unused and forgotten.
Don L. Fetterolf
A Masterpiece!

He's done it again. This book is definitely the best cookbook I have ever read, hands down. Mr. Jacque Pepin has been so generous to share his best recipes and also he has gave us a glimpse of some special moments in his life. Thank you everything. This is a must read for all of us cooks. May God bless you and your family, Amen.
Mzcarlea
Mar 02, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Very good and easy to make simple recipes. Lots of stories about how he came to use the recipe and suggestions for pairing dishes. I enjoyed the recipes and they are quite easy to use with many ingredients I already had.
N.N. Light
I'm a huge Jacques Pepin fan and when I heard about this book, I knew I had to have it. It's the companion book to his last season on television. Such a great book and I truly savored every word.

Highly recommend!

My Rating: 5+ Stars
Dan
Apr 24, 2018 rated it really liked it
A gift from my wife. Over the last couple months, Sunday dinners in our house tend to be experiments based on this book (based on the show). Warm and inviting writing, with delicious, family-friendly - and relatively simple - recipes from an old-school master. What's not to like.
Jul 03, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
4.5 stars rounding up. Can he be my honorary grandfather/kitchen mentor? Even with his penchant for offal?
S.
Mar 08, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
As with all his books, a pleasure to read--and to cook from!
Kim Lee-yuk
Jul 14, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Great recipes that are easy to duplicate.
CM
May 14, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Always the best!
Megan
Mar 07, 2018 rated it it was amazing
If you want to eat like Pepin does everyday, this is the book.
Clancy
Aug 06, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Beautiful book, solid accessible recipes, unpretentious content.
M M
Feb 22, 2017 rated it it was amazing
A very practical and useful cookbook. I got my original copy on the Kindle app and loved it so much I purchased a copy for my bookshelf. I have already made the cognac truffles with my women's group and the pizza on a tortilla shell for my husband. I intend to make one of the kale recipes tomorrow night. Yum!
Wench
Feb 12, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: ebook, cookbooks, 2017
I mean, let's be real: I adore Jacques. I love his no-fuss, no-pretension approach to cooking. I love his attitude towards wine. I love his accent. So of course I love this book.

I really enjoyed the small essays sprinkled in, and the introductions to each recipe. And that Pépin encourages people to change them to suit their own tastes, which is good, because Jacques and I do have very different tastes. None of the recipes are terribly complex; many use only a handful of ingredients a
Katie
Aug 01, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
For Food Lovers

I am a fan of Jacques Pepin's cooking shows and enjoy his cookbooks. I thought this one was especially well done. Since I'd seen many of the episodes of Heart and Soul in the Kitchen, I was already familiar with several of the recipes and could visualize the dishes. I have bookmarked 11 that I thought my family would enjoy. Most of the recipes use ingredients easily obtained and preparation is straight forward. I've had success with his recipes in the past and believe this coll
Libraryassistant
Aug 23, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: new-cookbooks
J'adore Jacques! Not only creative yet simple food but great stories from a life well lived in and out of the kitchen. Because he understands food and techniques so well, he can go outside the box to create imaginative solutions to both the tedium of certain traditional recipes, or the subtle shortcomings which might be encountered in a process. Many times he takes you through the thought process of getting there. Another great book to be spattered and greased with love, from a national treasure ...more
Debbie
Dec 31, 2015 rated it really liked it
Ingredient and chef-friendly cookbook. Jacques Pepin intersperses interesting and charming stories about his food experiences with his down-to-earth recipes. A bonus surprise was his own colorful artwork.

Recommended for all cooks - casual and serious.

Alex
Jun 18, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: cookbooks
I've always thought of Jacque as the crazy uncle or grandfather that taught me how to cook. I love his style and the way that he does things.

My favorite parts of this cookbook were the stories that he told in-between. They were so much fun and it lets you know more about his real personality.
Talisha
Jan 30, 2016 rated it it was amazing
This is one of the most beautiful cook books I've ever seen. I would recommend this for anyone who is a fan of fine dining and also seafood. The stories that are in the book make you feel as if you are sitting at a table with Jacques himself just chitchatting.
Pat
Nov 22, 2016 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: e-book
Short essays provide insights on his recipes including from a time he lived in Mexico. I'm looking forward to trying some his very approachable recipes, particularly the shell fish, vegetable dishes. There are some menu ideas in the back.

• I'm Just Here for the Food: Food + Heat = Cooking
  • Martha Stewart's Cakes: Our First-Ever Book of Bundts, Loaves, Layers, Coffee Cakes, and more
  • Plenty
  • The Complete Cook's Country TV Show Cookbook: Every Recipe, Every Ingredient Testing, and Every Equipment Rating from the Hit TV Show
  • Barefoot Contessa Back to Basics
  • The Moosewood Cookbook: Recipes from Moosewood Restaurant, Ithaca, New York
  • Vegan Cupcakes Take Over the World: 75 Dairy-Free Recipes for Cupcakes that Rule
  • Everyday Italian: 125 Simple and Delicious Recipes
  • The Tuscan Sun Cookbook: Recipes from Our Italian Kitchen
  • The Joy of Cooking
  • Hungry: Eating, Road-Tripping, and Risking It All with the Greatest Chef in the World
  • The No Meat Athlete Cookbook: Whole Food, Plant-Based Recipes to Fuel Your Workouts—and the Rest of Your Life
  • Mastering the Art of French Cooking
  • Giada's Kitchen: New Favorites from Everyday Italian
  • Never Binge Again: Reprogram Yourself to Think Like a Permanently Thin Person
  • Vegetarian Cooking for Everyone
  • Jerusalem: A Cookbook
  • 1942: The Year That Tried Men's Souls
Jacques Pépin is a French chef, television personality, and author working in the United States.