Start by marking “Forbidden” as Want to Read:
Forbidden

Forbidden

liked it 3.00  ·  Rating details ·  587 ratings  ·  160 reviews
Sixteen-year-old Josie Ferguson has just lost both her parents. She is sent to live with an unknown aunt and uncle in a town on the stormy northwest coast of Scotland. But the townspeople, including her relatives, are as cold and hostile as the sea.

Josie has never felt so alone.

Then Eli appears. Mysterious but kind—and handsome—he sparks a desire in Josie unlike anything s
Published December 1st 2015 by Clarion Books

To ask other readers questions about Forbidden, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Forbidden

liked it 3.00  ·

Publication Date: December 1, 2015
Rating: 3 stars
Source: eARC from Edelweiss

Summary (from Goodreads):

In early-nineteenth century Scotland, sixteen-year-old Josie, an orphan, is sent to live with an aunt and uncle on the rocky, stormy northwest coast. Everything and everyone in her new surroundings, including her relatives, is sinister, threatening, and mysterious. She's told that Eli, the young man she
Rashika (is tired)
Actual Rating 1.5

***This review has also been posted on The Social Potato

Oh, Forbidden. I wanted to love you so much and I am sorry that this didn’t work out. I imagine, in an alternate universe, if you were more detailed and not so rushed, I could have loved you, but you weren't, and so our story must end.

My lamenting aside, I am really disappointed. There were so many interesting things going on in this book but everything was SO RUSHED. I wanted details, I wanted a build-up, actual charact
Arlene
Aug 02, 2015 rated it liked it
Forbidden was a quick and entertaining novel that I finished in two short sittings. The story kept me interested the entire time, and the main character’s plight immediately earned my sympathy.

When sixteen year old Josie Ferguson is forced to leave her Edinburg home after losing her parents to influenza in 1807, she goes to Brindle Point to live with her Uncle Caleb and Auntie Minnie in their cliff-side home Raven’s Roost. Immediately, Josie realizes her life will never be the same. Upon her ar
Jen
Nov 16, 2015 rated it it was ok
Shelves: netgalley
My thanks to NetGalley and Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Children's Book Group for an eARC copy of this book to read and review.

Meh. It didn't really grab me. It was a quick read and the author's note at the end was interesting, but not overly in-depth regarding the topic at hand.

The quick read part was good, but that didn't leave much in the way of character development. The bad guys were all completely bad, though to be honest, to do what they did was really evil and I think it would have taken a
Michelle
Nov 23, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: own, review-on-blog
**You can see this full review and more at Book Briefs: http://bookbriefs.net**

Forbidden is a young adult mystery by Eve Bunting. It is a dark and mysterious, quick read that I thoroughly enjoyed. I loved the dreary, almost foggy atmosphere of the little Scottish fishing village, and I really liked how easily digestible the book was. It took me just under 2 hours to read Forbidden, and I walked away feeling like it was a complete story, not a novella. The romance in Forbidden is a nice aside but
Feb 05, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Carrie Beth
ARC provided by NetGalley in exchange for an honest review.

'Forbidden' tells the story of Josie, an orphan who is sent to live with her aunt and uncle after the death of her parents. This new home isn't welcoming and her new caretakers even admit they are only keeping her to collect money from her inheritance for doing so. A small romance pops up and the townspeople are weirdos, but for the sake of spoilers I'm not going to dive into that here.

Sadly, this is a very silly, juvenile book. There's
Sue
Oct 25, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: paranormal
This is a great paranormal mystery set in Scotland in the 1800s. I liked the main character Josie, who was forced to live with her aunt and uncle when she becomes an orphan. Her relatives behave strangely and have a mysterious and frightening dog, and even the local townsfolk behave in a somewhat bizarre manner. Then there is the brooding Eli who Josie feels attracted to but is told by everyone to stay away from. I loved the setting of this story and enjoyed reading the evocative descriptions co ...more
Birdsong231 [ Hawkfrost | Shani | Tayah ]
Nov 11, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: All ad romance lovers.
Ms. Yingling
Feb 15, 2015 rated it really liked it
In the early 1800s, Josie's parents both pass away after contracting influenza, and since she is only 16, she is sent from London to the windswept coast of Scotland to live with her uncle and aunt for two years. Her uncle is no longer an apothecary in town, but has moved out to a creepy house with his new wife and their vicious dog, Lamb. After being attacked by Lamb, Josie is trying to wash the wound with salt water when Eli comes upon her. Horrified that he might have seen her foot, she is eve ...more
Mundie Moms & Mundie Kids
There are two things this book had going for it. It's early-nineteenth century Scotland setting, and Josie, the main character. When you combine my love of historical settings, and strong female lead who goes against what's excepted of her in her time period, than you've got the makings of a book I'm going to like. At least hopefully.

Let's talk setting. This book had me at 'early-nineteenth century Scotland'. I am a sucker for a historical setting, not to mention on set in Scotland. The setting
Susan
Oct 01, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fiction, gothic
I enjoyed this book. It did pack a lot into a short time period, but was fast paced the entire read. It had a very dark gothic Victoria Holtish- feel, and reminded me of the VH novels I borrowed from my grandmother when I was a kid.
Mariana
Feb 28, 2016 rated it it was ok
Shelves: ya
I expected a two dimemsional book. It was, but I was able to make it to the end since it was short. It was basically a dark fairy tale, though I guess most are. The ending wasn't unexpected either.
Jessica Stacy
Sep 23, 2017 rated it it was ok
Author: Eve Bunting
Genre: Historical YA
Publisher: Houghton Mifflin Harcourt
Year of Publication: 2015

Main Character: Josie—(3/5) Josie was a little naïve, but what she lacked in intuition, she made up for in bravery. Although Josie picked up that something was off about her new home, she was oblivious to the clues that are obvious to readers.
Secondary Characters: None of the secondary characters were very engaging or interesting, but they each served their function within the story quite well.
P
Melanie
Ashleigh Jackson
Nov 29, 2018 rated it really liked it
In my opinion, I thought that the book 'Forbidden' was a really good book. For me, it wasn't a very time consuming book and the story line was very easy to follow. I believe that there were times where the story line was missing out on stuff or just wasn't that interesting at times but overall a really good book. In addition, there were some things that you had to stop and think about to put certain things together.
Again, overall it was a good book. Through out the book, though there were some
Asha Hawkesworth
Sep 12, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: children
This is, I think, billed as a juvie, which is good. If you're an adult who likes to read juvies (such as Harry Potter), you might give this one a miss. The plot is somewhat simplistic and derivative, although there are some nice touches, such as playing off historical occurrences and a supernatural aspect. The children liked it, which is the point. I didn't *mind* it, although there were times when it felt like a Harlequin romance writer had taken a turn writing a juvie. The audible narrator was ...more
Yolaron
Mar 04, 2018 rated it it was ok
Never quite figured out who this book was written for. It felt like a juvenile sort of mystic-history adventure with its setting and rather heavy-handed conclusion, but the age of the characters made the lack of YA-level plot and detail jarring. I didn't mind the inclusion of its mystic pseudo-religious elements, but wished they'd been explored in their own right instead of used as a plot device. It was one book where I would have preferred a good predictable supernatural romance to the abrupt, ...more
Auburn Library
Feb 22, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: cheryl-s-reads
This book provided exactly what I was looking for today: a swift read and an intriguing plot.

However, I think this could have been an AMAZING book if it slowed down, provided more details, and gave time for the story and characters to develop. There was a lot of potential here with a very unique and capturing story line, but we whisked it away in slightly more than 200 pages, which let to a quick and unsupported love story and that unsatisfied feeling of wanting MORE.

So in all, I enjoyed it for
Line Lehtonen
Feb 16, 2019 rated it it was ok
This had some good things going: Eerie setting and female lead doing against societal norms while admitting when falling prey to "love-struck teenager syndrome".

Unfortunately, it was too simple and predictable - something I would have enjoyed a lot more had I been ten years old.

Though, of this had been longer, more detailed, had a more intricate plot and more complex characters, I think it has the potential to be a lot more than it is.
Margaret Njeri
Apr 22, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: jessie
Angie Quantrell
Nov 09, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: chapter-books
Dark and foreboding tale of a young woman who travels to her relatives to live until she is old enough for her inheritance. Very interesting!
Elizabeth Preston
Jul 27, 2018 rated it liked it
This story was kind of weird. It was interesting and it kept me wanting to read more but the point of the story wasn't the best. Could have been better.
LaRae Steen
Dec 04, 2018 rated it liked it
Happy Birthday, Eve Bunting -- December 19, 1928
Arline Erven
Jan 20, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Easy read and super engaging!
Bridget
Good for kids who are into historical mysteries or ghost stories, but a bit slow and the insta-romance was a little much.
Oksana
Nov 14, 2018 rated it liked it
Weird...ghosts that have solid form....ammmmm no......
Sierra Berry
It didn't take long for me to finish the book and I'm completely okay with that. It was something good to read in one sitting.
Rachel Holmes
Jun 14, 2019 rated it liked it
Very odd and interesting book.
Amy
Oct 01, 2018 rated it did not like it
Could not get into this book. Not enough depth
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »

• The Devil in the Corner
  • Maulever Hall
  • A Barricade In Hell (Delia Martin, #2)
  • The House Next Door
  • The Baby Unicorn
  • The Executioner's Daughter (The Executioner's Daughter, #1)
  • Sanctuary
  • The Only Reason (River Valley, #2)
  • The Rosemary Spell
  • Alice in the Country of Clover: Knight's Knowledge Vol. 2
  • Currawong Manor
  • Snowdrops and Scandalbroth
  • Mirror
  • Valiant
  • Remember
  • To Ride a Púca
  • Truth of Embers (Dragonsworn, #3)
Also known as Evelyn Bolton and A.E. Bunting.

Anne Evelyn Bunting, better known as Eve Bunting, is an author with more than 250 books. Her books are diverse in age groups, from picture books to chapter books, and topic, ranging from Thanksgiving to riots in Los Angeles. Eve Bunting has won several awards for her works.

Bunting went to school in Ireland and grew up with storytelling. In Ireland, “The