Start by marking “Vegan Under Pressure: Perfect Vegan Meals Made Quick and Easy in Your Pressure Cooker” as Want to Read:

Vegan cooking made fast, fresh, and flavorful with the convenience of a pressure cooker

For the growing number of people who eat vegan, a pressure cooker is a blessing when it comes to saving time and enjoying a wider variety of foods on a regular basis. The pressure cooker drastically shortens the cooking times of healthful vegan staples such as dried beans and ancient gr
Published January 12th 2016 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt

To ask other readers questions about Vegan Under Pressure, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Vegan Under Pressure

Start your review of Vegan Under Pressure: Perfect Vegan Meals Made Quick and Easy in Your Pressure Cooker
Alicia Bayer
Jul 04, 2017 rated it did not like it
I got this as a treat for myself and am sorry to say I was really disappointed. I never splurge on myself and it's nearly useless for me.

I ordered this book to see if I could find some good vegetarian/vegan recipes to use my new Instant Pot. I already have a stovetop pressure cooker and am very comfortable with it, but I was fairly disappointed with my Instant Pot and wanted to find some recipes to make it worth the huge price tag. I'm basically using the thing for artichokes and dried beans, an
Hanako
Feb 11, 2016 rated it it was amazing
There is so much information in this book - how to use pressure cookers, how to cook almost anything in them - with convenient charts you can easily refer to. There is even a lot about choosing a pressure cooker, which might be better if I hadn't bought it after getting my instant pot. We have already tried three recipes - all of which were hits for my family. I will get a lot of use out of this book!
Samantha
Aug 14, 2017 rated it liked it
The information regarding getting started with your IP and the cooking times is invaluable, but the recipes themselves weren't all that interesting to me. Not all of the ingredients are readily found or financially feasible in my area. I still think it's worth it for the cooking time charts and information!
Jamie
Jan 12, 2019 rated it really liked it
I just got this cookbook for my birthday, so I haven't made anything out of it yet. But, there is a lot of very helpful information and many tips about pressure cooking, and the recipes look great. I can't wait to make something from this!
Tisha (IG: Bluestocking629)
Jul 23, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Fabulous! Allow me to take you step-by-step through this magnificent cookbook.

1. Introduction - to the author
2. Introduction to pressure cooking - 10 pages on the pressure cooker, Including but not limited to: how a pressure cooker works, what it can do for you, electric versus stove top, etc.
3. Pressure cooking basics - how to. 24 pages! Thank you!
4. Glossary of ingredients
11. Burgers, patties, savory cakes
12. To
Chelsea Madren
Apr 28, 2018 rated it it was amazing
In Chapter 4, Grains, Late Summer or Early Fall Vegetable Quinoa Salad utilizes tomatillos (often used in Mexican cooking) for their tart flavor. I love quinoa, so I knew I would love this salad. It also incorporates zingy garlic, sweet red bell pepper & tomato, and refreshing scallions & cilantro. This would be great for a potluck or picnic. Rating: 5/5

In Chapter 5, Beans, Cannellini Beans with Gremolata is high in protein and has great flavor. The cannellini beans become creamy when pressure c
Mandy
Feb 07, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Everything's delicious
El
Jun 23, 2020 rated it did not like it
Bland. Buy a recipe book written by someone with actual experience with Ethiopian food instead. Black Lives Matter, Jill.
Lara
Feb 06, 2018 rated it it was ok
Since I got an Instant Pot for Christmas, I've been trying to figure out what to do with it, and I figured an actual cookbook for it would be an easier place to start than with trying to translate regular cookbook instructions into pressure cooker instructions. So I was excited to find out how many awesome and totally lazy meals I can make in that thing! This book though? It's not the one.

First of all, it's one of those super annoying ones with select photos only in a section in the middle. The
jeanmarie
Jul 30, 2016 rated it liked it
Really, really thoughtful introduction (honestly, worth buying the book just for that!) that was great orienting myself to the pressure cooker. The recipes were a bit fussy and didn't seem worth the extra effort to me. I only tried a few, so maybe I tried the wrong ones. But the book just seemed underwhelming.
Pamela
May 24, 2017 rated it really liked it
I received a pressure cooker a few years ago for my birthday. In all that time, I only used it twice and with horrific results. I decided it was time to use it or donate it, and so my search for pressure cooker cookbooks began. The first few chapters of this book inspired me to purchase my own copy. The step-by-step instructions on how to use my pressure cooker were invaluable. The recipes, however, are not at all inspiring so I will need more time to evaluate them. There are only a few photos a ...more
Naomi
Dec 31, 2019 rated it really liked it
To start, the information given regarding pressure cooker usage was invaluable and in depth. I am not a vegetarian, but am beginning to drift that way in my food preferences, so while I have read other reviews by vegetarians who were not impressed with the recipes, as someone who is new to this eating lifestyle, I did find the better chunk very good. The last thing I really enjoyed were the seasoning mixes. As someone who is feeding a husband with a heart condition, salt has become my enemy and ...more
Zugravu Corina-aurelia
Jan 17, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Got it very recently at a decent price and I question myself how did I live so long without it. As many Europeans, I had for ages pressure cookers and used them from time to time. Always had problems with dosage of liquids and duration. Not any more, Jill makes everything very clear. As a plus, there are a lot of interesting recipes. I didn`t even know that you can make a dish in the pressure cooker, I used it just to quick boil legumes or grains...So I recommend it wholeheartedly to anyone inte ...more
Rachel
Aug 12, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This is a great book for those new to pressure cooking.
Some of the recipes are overly complicated and include extra steps that are unnecessary.
I will also say that I am in a vegan pressure cooking group on facebook. This author rubs me the wrong way with her comments. She is opinionated and pushy which makes me not want to support her or her book. At this point, I refuse to purchase her book.
Kim
Aug 21, 2017 rated it really liked it
The section explaining how to use your pressure cooker is the best I have seen. Though I wouldn't call it a "recipe" per se, I appreciate the guidance on cooking grains and legumes and addressing common issues in cooking them. I haven't tried any of the more complex recipes yet - but they are similarly clear and straightforward. And the knowledge I have gained about the cooker and how to work it has given me the confidence to move ahead and try more things.
Allie
Jan 27, 2018 rated it really liked it
I bought this after I visited my best friend in December. So many really great pressure cooker recipes, that work regardless of whether you have a stove-top or electric pressure cooker. I've made a bunch of things from this cookbook, and they've all been lovely. And there are lots of tables and tips to help the novice pressure cooker user with cooking times and methods.
May 31, 2019 rated it really liked it
This is a hard one to review. The information on how insta pots work and the cooking times for beans, rice, and grains was so helpful. It’s wonderful to have a book focused on foods our family eats, I avoid cookbooks with meats. Unfortunately the recipes I tried were just ok and my kids weren’t very excited by them.
Evelyn
Mar 31, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Good recipes, but difficult to find a recipe in a category because of the “flowery”names.
You should go through the book by sections to see what you want to make. Jill Nussinow has created a better index to her recipes, which can be downloaded from her site The Veggie Queen.
Michelle Richardson
Not so scary!

I finally read this book after three years of it sitting on my shelf. I was intimidated. But, after reading her concepts, it’s simple. Not complicated or scary at all! I finally get to use my InstantPot to make a whole meal. 😊
Andrea
Dec 10, 2016 rated it it was ok
Easy and fast recipes, but completely lacking in flavor. Skip this book if you are not comfortable coming up with your own spices to provide flavor.
Lynne
Oct 12, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Excellent delicious healthy recipes for the pressure cooker.
Tatjana
Jul 25, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I use this book almost every day. It's amazing.
Aja Marsh
Apr 22, 2019 rated it liked it
a few interesting ideas.
Therese
Aug 14, 2019 rated it liked it
Didn’t really see many recipes that interested me.
Marena Leigh
Dec 29, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Great Recipes

Can’t wait to try more recipes! The lentil soup was very delicious! I’m always looking for great plant based recipes.
Tony
Mar 08, 2020 rated it really liked it
Very informative.
Brittany Bell
Jun 22, 2020 rated it did not like it
Sadly Jill is a white supremacist as evidenced in her comments in the Vegan Instant Pot Recipes Facebook group. Will definitely not be supporting this racist subhuman.
Trevor
Mar 12, 2017 rated it really liked it
Besides the obvious (i.e. grains and legumes) lots of good ideas of what I can now make much faster in a pressure cooker (in particular garlicky mashed potatoes, seitan, and curries). Also has some interesting techniques to cook things like greens or pasta that normally wouldn't be done in a pressure cooker but not sure if I'll use them although I'll probably try to cook cornbread at least once.
Pat
Jan 01, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I found this book via the Instant Pot Vegans group on Facebook. I was looking for a pressure cooker guide that could teach me how to make perfect from-scratch beans, grains, and healthy one pot meals. My particular interest was learning to prepare grains with legumes in one pot, such as kitchari, and this book delivers. Bonuses are the beautiful photos, ethnic recipes, and recipes with grains such as millet, teff, sorghum, quinoa, polenta, etc. If you have a pressure cooker, get this book - rega ...more
Tina
Aug 21, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Concise instructions with variety of foods

I am quite impressed with the variety of foods presented and the concise instructions.

I'm an experienced pressure cooker user and have read and used many cookbooks. This is very straightforward and would make a perfect book for a novice as well as someone more experienced.

The recipes are healthy, easy to prep, and don't really call for weird or extravagant ingredients (there is one recipe that calls for Saffron). I've made quite a number of the recipes a

• The Vegan Instant Pot Cookbook: Wholesome, Indulgent Plant-Based Recipes
  • Minimalist Baker's Everyday Cooking: 101 Entirely Plant-based, Mostly Gluten-Free, Easy and Delicious Recipes
  • The How Not to Die Cookbook: 100+ Recipes to Help Prevent and Reverse Disease
  • Forks Over Knives—The Cookbook: Over 300 Recipes for Plant-Based Eating All Through the Year
  • Oh She Glows Every Day: Simply Satisfying Plant-Based Recipes to Keep You Glowing from the Inside Out
  • Vegan Instant Pot Cookbook: 500 Simple Plant-Based Recipes to Feel Better. Ultimate Pressure Cooker Vegan Cookbook for Beginners and Pros
  • The Ultimate Vegan Cookbook for Your Instant Pot: 80 Easy and Delicious Plant-Based Recipes That You Can Make in Half the Time
  • Vegan Instant Pot Cookbook: 60 Amazing Instant Pot Recipes for Everyday Cooking ( Vegan Instant Pot Cookbook for Two, Vegan Instant Pot Recipes, Vegan Pressure Cooker Cookbook )
  • Hot for Food Vegan Comfort Classics: 101 Recipes to Feed Your Face
  • I Can Cook Vegan
  • Vegan for Everybody: Foolproof Plant-Based Recipes for Breakfast, Lunch, Dinner, and In-Between
  • Indian Instant Pot® Cookbook: Traditional Indian Dishes Made Easy and Fast
  • Vegan Richa's Indian Kitchen: Traditional and Creative Recipes for the Home Cook
  • The Housekeeper