Start by marking “The Werewolf of Bamberg” as Want to Read:
The Werewolf of Bamberg

The Werewolf of Bamberg

(Die Henkerstochter #5)

The thrilling fifth entry in Oliver Pötzsch's best-selling Hangman's Daughter series.

In 1668, hangman Jakob Kuisl, his daughter Magdalena and her husband Simon are traveling to the town of Bamberg. But what was planned as a family vacation soon becomes a nightmare: there is a murderer in Bamberg leaving the severed limbs of victims in the trash outside the city. When rumor
Published December 29th 2015 by Mariner Books (first published August 8th 2014)

Matt
In 1668 the whole Kuisl family (three generations) are going to attend the wedding of the patriarch’s brother in Bamberg. There’s a tension between the two brothers that has its root many years ago. Apart from that and the usual quarrels among family members everyone is looking forward to the event. Unfortunately there is a growing restlessness in Bamberg after body parts were found in the river and various people gone missing. The (still) good citizens of Bamberg suspect a werewolf on the loose ...more
Pat
Sep 02, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
German Audiobook--several of Oliver Pötzsch's books have been translated into English. This one just came out in German, so you might have to wait a while to read it in English. This is book 5 of the Kuisl family. This time the family heads to Bamberg to attend the wedding of Jakob's brother, whom he hasn't seen for a long time, because of something that happened in their childhood. His fiancee, however, insists on inviting the family. When approaching Bamberg, they hear something in the woods a ...more
Tracey
Jun 29, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The good thing about listening to MP3 CD's is that a nearly-600-page book fit on two discs, so I don't have to worry about having to change discs mid-commute. (I'm not an idiot, so I'm not going to do it while in motion, and have you ever noticed that when you need a red light for something like this they all magically turn green? Next time you're running late, drop something you kind of need out of reach, or smudge your glasses so that they need to be wiped. Voila: green lights through to your ...more
Franca Pelaccia
Dec 23, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
It’s 1668 and the hangman of Schongau Jakob Kuisel, his daughters Barbara and Magdalena, her husband Simon and their children are in the town of Bamberg for the wedding of his brother Bartholomaus. Also a hangman, Barthomaus will break social conventions when he marries Katharina Hauser, the daughter of a prominent city clerk and celebrate with a large party. But what was planned to be a festive occasion soon turns into a nightmare when severed limbs of citizens who have gone missing are found s ...more
Janellyn51
Jan 06, 2016 rated it really liked it
I've read all the Hangman's Daughter books in the series and I love them. I was really excited to have a new one to read. It pains me to see Jakob getting older. Magdalena is less of a spitfire than in the beginning, but she never shies away from danger. Simon is still a ninny. This one was exciting to the end, and with a good plot and lots of action.
I don't want to give anything away, but the book deals with witch trials and the belief there is a werewolf loose in Bamburg. It's such a different
Billie
Apr 15, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was a really good read, probably the best since book two of the series. It kept my interest, had great intrigue and mystery and I LOVE these characters. The book was a bit longer than it needed to be, hence the four stars.

It may happen because of the translation, but I'm a bit bothered by the description of one character, who is described as fat, large, and/or big every single time she walked into a scene in the story. There is also a physically disfigured character whose "ugliness" is ment
Antonio Nunez
Apr 27, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
After the rather weak Poisoned Pilgrim, Potzsch is back in fine form in The Werewolf of Bamberg. All characters have relevant roles to play and the story is quite good. Won’t say anything about the plot to avoid spoilers, but this is one of the most enjoyable books in the series.
Carolyn
Jan 29, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I LOVE the Hangman's Daughter series! Each book is a marvelous adventure and the characters are extremely well drawn. So much so, that each book reminds me of what it is like to have a German father! Oh, that stubbornness... Only downside is that now I have to wait forever for the next one.
A must-read for mystery and history lovers alike!
Snem
Nov 11, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: part-of-a-series
I'm well invested in this series so I'm all in. This book didn't disappoint at all. I still love the characters and I love the old Bavarian historical setting. It's all very exciting, but it is starting to feel a little formulaic. It's a good series and I'm going to stick with it. You should really start with book one if you're interested.
Martha
Feb 24, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery, 2016
Loved it. Hope his next one comes out soon!
Nthambi
Sep 22, 2017 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I do not want to go into details, but this book felt more of a child's fairy tale than an adult thriller. For a moment at the beginning, it was so good since I was looking forward to witnessing the pure hatred between Jakob and Bartholomaus, and how Sebastian Harsee would turn the Werewolf killings to his favor. Suffice it to say, none of that happened.

The brothers forgave each other (I still have no idea how that was possible), and Harsee died before he could take advantage of anyone. It was al
Gloria Benaroch
Nov 17, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Very intense

This book actually had me shaking in my boots and I would only be able to read it during the day cause that night that would scare the living daylights out of me of course it was my mind that did that but nonetheless it was excellent writing
Nahnita
Sep 21, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I thought sequels were supposed to get worse as they went along! I absolutely loved the 5th book in this series. it's like a medieval sherlock Holmes!
Marie
Jan 15, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is series that I really enjoy. This book was no exception (although it was a bit long). Make sure to read the author notes at the end to see how the story matches up with real historic events!
Kristin
I'm still enjoying this series about a 17th century executioner in Germany, but the last couple of books have been very long. In this one Jakob travels to visit his brother, also a hangman, and has to solve a series of murders that locals are blaming on a werewolf.
Leslie
May 26, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is the 4th in the series that I have read-they are quirky historical murder mysteries, peopled with recurring characters all belonging to the Kuisl family (antecedents of the author). There are always more twists and turns than I expect and I learn something new about each of the characters every time—these books are long, meandering reads, but totally delightful as a reading experience.
Craig
Oct 12, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Potzsch is a good read but read them in order. This is set in medieval times and it happens to be a favorite time period for me. Great foreign author.
Hannah
Feb 05, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-2018
This one is expectionally unique because it has two perpetrators instead of the traditional formula of one, as this series usually betrays. The tale has a little sadness to it surrounding the reasons behind the first perpetrator's reasons for the crimes that he commits. And the other.... Well, I won't give away the whole thing. I also love the one-lined humor from the main Hangman, Jakob Kuisl it makes him that much more real and fun. I'm really looking forward to the new one coming out in May. ...more
Snooty1
Nov 29, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2016-books
Have I mentioned that I'm in love with Jakob Kuisl??? That if I could transport in time I would go to 1600s Bavaria and spend a night in the hangman's cottage??? BECAUSE I WOULD!!!
Ok...maybe I wouldn't, I wouldn't take the risk of being a woman in 1600s Bavaria/anywhere, because as I keep learning in these books...being a woman is fucking dangerous.

Now to the book...
The Kuisl Family is on its way to Bamberg to celebrate the wedding of Jakob's brother. On the way there...an arm is discovered...j
Jim
Mar 30, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The werewolf, or wolf man, has been my favorite monster since the 1970's Creature Features and Scooby Doo's fantastic werewolf episode. So even though I hadn't read any of the Hangman's Daughter books, this one "literally" jumped off the bookstore shelf and into my hands. Bavaria in the late 1600's is a great setting for a werewolf story because most of the people in the story believe in werewolves! The author does a great job of hide and seek with the clues and the reader cannot be sure if the ...more
Janice
This was a solid series overall. It seemed that the last two books weren't as strong. Perhaps it was just me and that I read them too close together. Maybe if I had spaced them out, I would have enjoyed the last two books better.

I think my problem with this book was that it took me a bit to get into it. Once the action started, it was non-stop to the very end.

I highly recommend this series.
Emily
May 21, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: foreign, mystery
I was unsure of how I would feel about this book, since I thought the 4th installment wasn't as strong. And while I don't know that anything will top the first book, this one was excellent. I loved it. There is so much going on and so many characters. There is definitely not a lot of downtime in this one. I wish we didn't have to wait so long for these to be translated into English!
Judith Teggelaar
This book started out like a house on fire but eventually got a little tedious. It does redeem itself at the end which I thought summed up everything satisfactorily. I expected the book to be scary, however, it was not.
Sue Anne
I never know how to rate these kinds of books that are not particularly well-written or clever, but are fun to read for other reasons.... how do you award stars - based on how much you enjoyed yourself reading it? or based on what you think the book rates on a more academic or objective scale?
Virna
Nov 09, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I enjoy this audiobook. Hope to see the next out soon.
Orient
Jun 01, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A perfect combination of history, mystery, horor, family bonding, action, suspense and a great work done by the author. Fortunatelly 'The Werewolf of Bamberg' is not the end of the great series.
Mark
I enjoyed this trip through 17th century Germany. It had a well constructed plot and was chock full of interesting historical details (hangmen often were healers as well, in part to dull the pain of impending executions; hangmen's jobs often were hereditary; persecutions such as witches' trials were often ways that ambitious families displaced more important families, with well aimed accusations of evildoing), and created an interesting kaleidoscope of characters.

My only hesitation was the amate
Pamela Mclaren
There's something happening in the Bamberg and it will soon draw in Jakob Kuisl and his family.

Kuisl, his daughter, Magdalena, and her husband, Simon, travel to Bamberg where they are to observe the marriage of Kuisl's younger brother, of whom he has been estranged for most of his life. Mystery number one — what happened and why have they never addressed it before?

But as soon as they arrive body parts are found in the river and in the trash outside the city. Considering that it's the 1600s, the
Richard Booth
In this episode, the hangman is becoming older and a bit more vulnerable. His wife died in an earlier novel, and Magdalena, the hangman's daughter, is becoming the moderator of his life, the anchor he so desperately requires. The family travels to Bamberg to attend the wedding of the hangman's brother, from whom he has been estranged for years. However, in this novel of rage, violence, and revenge, superstition remains powerful and murdered people are assumed to have been attacked and brutally t ...more
Michael
Jan 07, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Potzsch's Hangman's Daughter series is great fun. The stories offer what certainly sounds like a realistic view of life in 1600's Germany. The Kuisl family are outcasts in Schongau society because the patriarch, Jacob, is the town executioner. His trade is seen as necessary but dishonorable. Of course, those who consider him most dishonorable are the ones who most frequently avail themselves of his medical talents. At any rate, Jacob is perhaps the most appealing character in the series, alongsi ...more
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 next »
Magdalena's Children 2 4 Jan 03, 2019 06:13AM

• Half-Boys and Gypsy Girls (Spookshow, #5)
  • Nashville oder Das Wolfsspiel
  • The Islam Quintet: Shadows of the Pomegranate Tree, The Book of Saladin, The Stone Woman, A Sultan in Palermo, and Night of the Golden Butterfly
  • The Lazarus Curse (Dr. Thomas Silkstone #4)
  • The Tower (Ellie Jordan, Ghost Trapper #9)
  • The Chatelet Apprentice
  • Redheads
  • Raven's Rise (World on Fire #3)
  • Der Prinzessinnenmörder (Wallner & Kreuthner, #1)
  • The Practice of Deceit
  • Ravnenes hvisken (Ravnenes hvisken, #1)
  • Doctor Death (Madeleine Karno, #1)
  • Sherlock Holmes vs. Zombies (Victorian Undead, #1)
  • The Sleeping Partner (Sarah Tolerance, #3)
  • Shadow Dancer (Shadow #1)
  • Kampen om sværdet (Erik Menneskesøn #2)
  • The Marathon Conspiracy (The Athenian Mysteries, #4)
  • Egypt: the Book of Chaos (Rai Rahotep, #3)
Oliver Pötzsch is a German writer and filmmaker. After high school he attended the German School of Journalism in Munich from 1992 to 1997. He then worked for Radio Bavaria. In addition to his professional activities in radio and television, Pötzsch researched his family history. He is a descendant of the Kuisle, from the 16th to the 19th Century a famous dynasty of executioners in Schongau.

Die Henkerstochter (7 books)
  • The Hangman's Daughter (The Hangman's Daughter, #1)
  • The Dark Monk (The Hangman's Daughter, #2)
  • The Beggar King (The Hangman's Daughter, #3)
  • The Poisoned Pilgrim (The Hangman's Daughter, #4)
  • The Play of Death (The Hangman's Daughter, #6)
  • Die Henkerstochter und der Rat der Zwölf (Die Henkerstochter #7)
“The nicest people can look like beasts, and the evilest of people sometimes have the faces of angels. Never rely on outward appearances.” 4 likes
“I always loved animals more than people. Their souls are good—without malice or hatred.” 2 likes