Start by marking “Vengeance Road (Vengeance Road, #1)” as Want to Read:
Vengeance Road (Vengeance Road, #1)

Vengeance Road (Vengeance Road #1)

3.87  ·  Rating details ·  6,491 Ratings  ·  1,616 Reviews
Revenge is worth its weight in gold.

When her father is murdered for a journal revealing the location of a hidden gold mine, eighteen-year-old Kate Thompson disguises herself as a boy and takes to the gritty plains looking for answers—and justice. What she finds are untrustworthy strangers, endless dust and heat, and a surprising band of allies, among them a young Apache gi
Published September 1st 2015 by HMH Books for Young Readers

To ask other readers questions about Vengeance Road, please sign up.
Erin Bowman Yes! Kate's story starts and ends with this book.

Yes! Kate's story starts and ends with this book.

(In full disclosure, I *am* playing around with an idea for a companion novel, but it would supplement VENGEANCE ROAD (story with new characters and conflicts) rather than be a direct sequel. And it's just a loose idea right now; nothing is contracted.) :)(less)
Erin Bowman Hi! VENGEANCE ROAD is set in 1877, in Arizona Territory. The story begins outside Prescott, on Kate's homestead, and as tracks her father's killers,…moreHi! VENGEANCE ROAD is set in 1877, in Arizona Territory. The story begins outside Prescott, on Kate's homestead, and as tracks her father's killers, she travels south toward Phoenix, and then east into the Superstition Mountains.(less)

Emily May
Apr 01, 2015 rated it really liked it
"That sounds real nice, boy," he says. "Now for the love of God, lower that damn pistol."
"All right," I says.
And I do.
Right after I shoot him through the skull.

This book is nasty. When I heard that Erin Bowman had written a Western where the protagonist is a girl posing as a cowboy and ends up finding love in this wild, rugged landscape, I thought one thing - I bet this is the politest, cutest Western ever.

How wrong I was.

If you don't like the Western genre and are thinking about reading this
Hailey (HaileyinBookland)
More like a 2.75 or 2.5 ish

This was good for what it was I just don't really think it was for me. I found myself drifting often, bored by the subject matter. I've never really encountered Westerns before so I didn't know how I'd react but I was mostly yawning. I don't find the whole Western thing appealing apparently. If you're into that though, I think you might enjoy this!
Melissa ♥ Dog/Wolf Lover ♥ Martin
The first time I read this it was through Netgalley but I bought the Hardback a few years ago and did a re-read on audio so I could read the second book. I tweaked the old review just a little =)

*MAY CONTAIN A FEW SPOILERS*

I am not a big fan of the western genre, but when I read the blurb of this book about a girl going after a gang for killing her pa, I had to read it! There is nothing like a good ole vengeance tale!

The gang that beat and hung Kate's pa while she was out in the field is calle
karen
Jul 20, 2015 rated it really liked it
When I were first learning to shoot a rifle, Pa told me that nearly every battle people face is in their heads. If you think you can't do something, you won't. If you believe you can, it's only a matter of time before you will.

this is like True Grit, without all the moralizing

for some reason, i thought this was a middle grade book when i saw it at BEA; a fun, spunky pigtailed girl-western. and now i know what it feels like to be wrong. it lists as YA, but it has definite crossover potential and
Wendy Darling
I love westerns, and it's about time we got more YA ones. VENGEANCE ROAD has some fun shoot 'em up action scenes, some LITTLE WOMEN love, and a neat surprise towards the end, even though it's a little lacking in the kind of spark and grit and conviction (and humor) that you might want from a story and characters like these.

Still, I admire any author who commits so thoroughly to writing in a dialect so different from her own (and being mostly successful in carrying it off), and I quite enjoyed r
Lola  Reviewer
2 1/2 stars.

Kate’s father was murdered by the Rose Riders, a notorious Western gang. Ergo, she decides to run after the said gang and avenge her father; she has a vendetta. But finding which doesn’t want to be found can be tedious. Luckily, Kate doesn’t have to follow the road of vengeance alone; two young men are continuously trailing her, not far behind.

I had the feeling that this would be a perfect medley of genres, blending, inter alia, adventure, historical fiction and a subtle drop of roma
Rachel E. Carter
Jul 30, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: to-buy-paperback
This book was bloody spectacular. I am not a Western girl -I avoid those books and movies like the plague (except Owen Wilson’s “Shanghai” ones). I can’t even explain how speechless I am that a YA western blew me away. This book did what Blood Red Road did for me as a dystopia, and I am utterly in awe. I can just feel how much research and careful precision went into taking all the classic western elements and turning them on their head ((view spoiler) ...more
Aimee ♥ | Aimee, Always
*09/06: After giving this some thought, I lowered my GR star rating to 3 stars, but this book's still a 3.5 for me!

Vengeance Road is pure blood and grit. This may sound like a cutesy I-wanted-revenge-but-now-I-just-want-you romance based on the synopsis (and were you thinking, Love triangle alert! like I was?), but this book is just full of badassness and kickassery. It's all about revenge, murder, and deception... with a hint of romance.

The action scenes, in particular, were superb. I have huge
☆☽Erica☾☆

HELL

FUCKING

THIS WAS SO BADASS.

This is a classic western tale, except the roles are reversed and we have badass Kate Thompson on her way to slay her enemies. After her dad is killed for his knowledge of a goldmine (its the late 1800s) Kate sets off to seek revenge and kicks ass along the way.

The characters are as follows:
Kate Thompson:

Our 18 year old, hardcore af protagonist who is fired by her anger and hatred for the men who killed her dad. She originally poses as a boy so she can be taken
C.G. Drews
HELLO NEW FAVOURITE LITTLE MUNCHKIN OF A BOOK! I was so nervous about this one...because while it sounds like a decidedly ME book...I absolutely loathed Taken. I mean, UGH, Taken was just so boring and cliche...but Vengeance Road?!? IT WAS AMAZING AND I AM MONSTROUSLY IN LOVE WITH IT. Plus it 100% reminded me of Blood Red Road, which is only alos my favourite book ever.

So much win. All the cake for Vengeance Road. All the love.

I gotta warn you: I'm obsessed with the Wild West.
Why? SEARCH ME, DU
Tamora Pierce
Feb 05, 2016 rated it really liked it
I haven't read a regular, old-fashioned cowboy book in a long time, and this one had the double pleasure not only of being written in easy-to-follow dialect, but of having a female hero. Kate sets out to avenge her father's murder, hot in pursuit of a vicious gang of kidnapper-killers who believe her father held the secret to a hidden mine full of a fabulous treasure in gold. Kate only cares about the gold inasmuch as it helps her to catch the killers, but she knows anyone learning of the secret ...more
destiny ☠ howling libraries
“Sure, sometimes you gotta let things go, but other times you can't till you set things right.”

Going into my first western story ever, I had no clue what to expect. Truthfully, I'm not a tremendous fan of western films, but they tend to follow such specific atmospheric guidelines that I couldn't have imagined a book executing those same feelings. I was wrong, though; Vengeance Road literally feels like you've been transported into a western, from the setting all the way to the manner of spea
Christina
Mar 18, 2015 rated it it was amazing
5 stars!

When her father is murdered for a journal revealing the location of a hidden gold mine, 18 year old Kate Thompson disguises herself as a boy and takes to the gritty plains looking for answers and justice. Along the way she finds a surprising band of allies : a young Apache girl and a pair of stubborn brothers who refuse to quit riding in her shadow. But some men will stop at nothing to get their hands on gold, and Kate's quest for revenge may prove fatal.

This story takes place in 1877, i
Erin Bowman
Apr 11, 2014 marked it as books-i-wrote  ·  (Review from the author)
UPDATE: Vengeance Road is getting a companion novel, Retribution Rails. Yeehaw!

...

I'm so excited for y'all to read VENGEANCE ROAD! The book will be out in just a few weeks, but until then, you can always...

follow @VRposse for updates
track the VR tag on my tumblr
check out my pinterest board full of visual inspiration
• and read short teaser excerpts every Monday until launch!

Faye, la Patata
"HEY, PARDNER. You don't happen to have a dip there, wouldcha? Yer gonna be in fer a wild, wild ride, Western style."

Did I say that right? Did I sound like a kick-ass cowboy, about to tell a story around a campfire? Yes? ...No? Ah, well.

2015 is definitely the year where Western YA is taking the world by storm. I've already read 2 set in this era - one during the Californian Gold Rush (Walk on Earth a Stranger) and finally, this one, set a little bit after all the gold hooligans have come and g
Danielle (Love at First Page)
The short and sweet of it: Vengeance Road is pure, fantastic storytelling. It's a fast-paced, adventurous thrill ride from start to finish, with a feisty heroine, a slow burn romance, and a richly detailed setting. Erin Bowman stays true to the spirit of the Wild West, crafting a tale that is as emotional as it is gritty. It has an old-fashioned aura, that "they don't make them like this anymore" feeling. Love, hate, vengeance, forgiveness, greed, lust... sweat, dirt, and tears... kisses hotter ...more
Jodi Meadows
Dec 08, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: books-i-blurbed
My official comments:

Gold madness, a good-for-nothing posse, and frontier justice: VENGEANCE ROAD is everything you could want in a Western, best read with an accent.

My unofficial comments:

HOLY COMMAS. I never thought I was much of a Western reader, but I loved this book so freaking much. The characters, the setting, the plot -- all spot on.

Read this book, guys.
TL
Nov 09, 2015 rated it really liked it
Recommended to TL by: karen brissette
Shelves: favorites

One of those books I heard alot about and was immediately intrigued... heard some compare it to 'True Grit' which also sparked my interest but also had me wary (one of my favorite books, the movie was good too).

“Money’s supposed to fix problems, not give you more, but I
Marla Mei
This review is also posted at Her Book Thoughts!

I’ve never been fond of the Western genre before but this book just damn well swayed my mind. Vengeance Road is a book that doesn’t shy away from being merciless and gritty. This isn’t some cutesy YA western, no. You want nasty? Nasty is what you’ll get. Kate, the heroine, is out for revenge and her thirst for it shows. She’s badass, ruthless and won’t stop for nothing but at the same time still so kind to the core.

Despite being bloody and
Brandi
Jul 09, 2015 rated it it was ok

I’m starting to wonder if I’m doomed to have the worst reading year of my entire life because nothing is working for me!
description
Here’s something you probably don’t know about me, but I grew up watching westerns thanks to my Dad (Bonanza was my favorite), and my first introduction to audio books were tapes of Louis L'Amour (One For The Mohave Kid is the one I remember most), but I don’t go out of my way to find western based books – and I haven’t watched westerns in probably 20 years now.

My point

Vengeance Road by Erin Bowman
Publisher: HMH Books for Young Readers
Publication Date: September 1, 2015
Rating: 4 stars
Source: ARC sent by the publisher

Summary (from Goodreads):

When Kate Thompson’s father is killed by the notorious Rose Riders for a mysterious journal that reveals the secret location of a gold mine, the eighteen-year-old disguises herself as a boy and takes to the gritty plains looking for answers and justice. What she finds are devio
Nastassja
Jul 29, 2015 rated it liked it
Recommends it for: fans of westerns and kick ass heroines

So, Wild West

I am sure every one of you watched at least one western in your life. Or may be you are a fan of westerns and have seen the best of them. I personally am not a fan, but I sure would like a good western about revenge.

Imagine: western and revenge in one book. I haven't read any westerns before and Vengeance Road was my first. And it was a hell of a read!
This book is about revenge, then about more revenge, and in the end a couple more drops of revenge. MC Kate wants to aven

Sophie
Feb 03, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I received an Advance Reader Copy from the publisher via NetGalley. This in no way impacted on my view.

This book is one I've been waiting ages for, and as soon as I was approved for it, I had to start it, TBR be damned. Vengeance Road is one of the first Western books I've ever read, and I think it's the first YA of its kind - though Walk on Earth a Stranger is also coming out in September. This book was raw, and real, and the sheer intensity of the events made it appear as if we were actually w
Erin
Mar 26, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: series

I won't recount the plot here as the Goodreads description does a superb job of informing readers what it is about. Noticing that previous reviewers had made a lot of comparisons between this book and "Walk on Earth a Stranger," I decided to let many months pass before turning my attention to "Vengeance Road." Although I understand why these books draw such a comparison ( western setting, female protagonist dressing up as a boy, avenging her father's death, gold mines etc.), I do belie
Tabby
May 05, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: audiobook
THE REVIEW

Why this book?
I thought I’ll give it another try

What I thought

This was on my DNF Self but I found the audiobook and decided to give it another try. I’m so happy I did because I really liked it. Kate is a kick ass heroine and is really easy to root for. I also really loved Jesse even though he disappointed me at one point. There’s romance; it’s subtle, but I still ship it with all my heart. This is full of gun fights and everything else that make a good western. I don’t know if I’ll rea
Drew
Jul 20, 2015 rated it really liked it
“I got some coin and a vengeance strong enough to cut any throat that tries to cross me.”

I knew I was going to love this from the very first chapter, which was an explosion of violent and gritty awesomeness. My love for this book only grew as I got to know the protagonist, Kate, who was hardcore and had no regrets.

Kate is out for cold hard revenge. Her father was keeping a secret from her: he discovered a gold mine years ago and made a map to it. Now a nasty gang called the Rose Riders have st
Kaisu
Feb 21, 2016 rated it liked it
Actual rating: 3,5 stars

I never liked westerns.

I remember when I was little (well, when I was around 8-9 years old) my dad would watch a Clint Eastwood movie every.single.night.. And believe me, I WAS SO SICK OF IT! I couldn't stand the dude's face anymore. I never tried watching his movies since then, and always thought westerns were just not my cup of tea.

Until I found this book.

To be completely honest with you, this book was a cover-buy; I still had a vague idea of what this book was about
Taylor Knight

When I seen the cover reveal for this book months ago, I knew I would love it. After waiting months and months (I even pre-ordered this book, which I rarely do), I finally got it in the mail. And within 24 hours of receiving Vengeance Road, I finished it. I could not put this book down. I read it in one sitting and love every single second. Right from the start, I was hooked and I was so sad when it ended.
I loved the main character, Kate. She's exactly the kind of character I was hoping she wou
Dana
Feb 28, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Fans of True Grit
Recommended to Dana by: karen
Mini Review

I don't have much experience with Westerns so the only thing I can really compare this book to is True Grit, but damn this was good. This book is fairly comparable to True Grit, but I did try to separate the two stories and I suppose apart from a young girl seeking revenge for her father their similarities end there.

Overall I found this to be a fun, suspenseful adventure with a great believable and sympathetic main character. I also found it neat that this was based off of a popular
Maja (The Nocturnal Library)

Vengeance Road, Erin Bowman's unique foray into young adult western genre can only be described as a success. As the author’s note clearly explains, the highly anticipated project was something Bowman had brewing for years and that much forethought was evident from every page. Vengeance Road is dark, violent, gritty and honest, all the things I’ve come to appreciate in YA fiction above all else.

After the violent death of her father, Kate is a girl set on revenge, going against a much stronger
  • Rebel Mechanics (Rebel Mechanics, #1)
  • Under a Painted Sky
  • Drift & Dagger (Salt & Storm, #2)
  • Velvet Undercover
  • The Uninvited
  • Revenge and the Wild
  • Da Vinci's Tiger
  • Traitor Angels
  • Of Dreams and Rust (Of Metal and Wishes, #2)
  • Wolf by Wolf (Wolf by Wolf, #1)
  • This Monstrous Thing
  • A School for Unusual Girls (Stranje House, #1)
  • Walk on Earth a Stranger  (The Gold Seer Trilogy, #1)
  • Razorhurst
  • A Madness So Discreet
  • Blackhearts (Blackhearts, #1)
  • The Weight of Feathers
  • The Death and Life of Zebulon Finch, Vol. 1: At the Edge of Empire
Erin Bowman used to tell stories visually as a web designer. Now a full-time writer, she relies solely on words. She lives in New Hampshire with her family and when not writing she can often be found hiking, commenting on good typography, and obsessing over all things Harry Potter.

Erin is represented by Sara Crowe of Pippin Properties, and is the author of the Taken Trilogy, VENGEANCE ROAD, RETRIB
More about Erin Bowman

Vengeance Road (2 books)
  • Retribution Rails (Vengeance Road, #2)
“For some reason, this is the moment I know I’m gonna be all right; that the hurt might never fade, and my heart might always long for a stubborn cowboy with squinty eyes, but I’ll make do. Sure as the sun will rise.” 19 likes
“Gold makes monsters of men.” 14 likes