Start by marking “Two Mice” as Want to Read:
Two Mice

Two Mice

One house, two mice, three cookies . . . and the adventure begins. In gorgeously illustrated spreads and two-word phrases, this picture book takes two mice through their exciting and eventful day. Funny, lively, and easy to follow, the book offers the youngest readers the chance to count from one to three and back again.

Sergio Ruzzier's illustrations display his signature
Published September 1st 2015 by Clarion Books

To ask other readers questions about Two Mice, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Two Mice

Jason
Mar 03, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I'm not sure I can put into words what is so wonderful about this l'il book. And maybe that's the point. It's the lack of words and the illustrations that say so much more than words can about the relationship between the mice, who could be friends, relatives, roommates, or lovers. There is drama, and humor, adventure and angst. And all of it is communicated with simple numbers.
Monica Edinger
Jan 28, 2015 rated it it was amazing
A simple and simply lovely book. A sort-o- counting (well, one to three and back again) book and a tiny adventure story too. Absolutely charming.
Benji Martin
Oct 29, 2015 rated it it was amazing
This is Ruzzier's best, yet.
Tasha
Jun 01, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: picture-books
Count from one to three and back down to one again in this funny picture book. Three cookies don’t split evenly between two mice, but then neither does only one pair of oars when they head out on the water. Three rocks in the water make two holes in their boat. Luckily there is one island with two trees, which actually are the feet of a giant bird. The two mice cry three tears as they are carried up to be food for three chicks. All it takes is one nest to make their one escape. Back home, the tw ...more
Sandra
Nov 30, 2015 rated it really liked it
Age range: 2 to 5 years old.

This little book tells the adventures of two little mice constantly counting up to 3, and then counting down to 1 again.

The text is predictable enough to allow the kids to count and guess the number before you say it, encouraging the interaction.

The illustrations, by Ruzzier too, are really nice and tell by themselves the rest of the story.

Not a typical counting book, but an enjoyable one!

Check out more children's book reviews in my Reviews in Chalk Blog!
Sandy Brehl
For a book with VERY few words, the two characters have real appeal, portraying identifiable emotions in familiar situations, (and some very unfamiliar ones). The few words provided are essential for early reading independence, repeated often, but every time offering distinct purposes. It will have appeal as a read-aloud but works even better for small hands to hold and develop ownership of the reading process.
Amy
Mar 03, 2016 added it
Shelves: j-picture-books
Loved the storytelling technique here - objects are counted off in groups of 1, 2, and 3, then 3, 2, 1. Ruzzier tells the whole story using this clever - yet subtle - convention. In fact, I didn't even notice it until Arthur pointed it out - and then I thought it was genius. My favorite sequence was 3 boats, 2 oars, 1 rower - because whenever I've been in a boat that requires oars with Arthur, he is always the 1 rower. Sorry about it!!
Stephanie Croaning
Nov 13, 2015 rated it it was amazing
This is a deceptively simple counting book that counts down from three, then back up. What Sergio Ruzzier manages to do is tell a story about two mice who go on an adventure which leads them to discover the beauty of friendship and home. The illustrations are adorable, and the plot is creative and unique. The basic, minimal vocabulary makes this a perfect book for a beginning independent reader.
Cynthia
Jul 02, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Two mice leave their cozy home seeking adventure - and find more than they bargained for. Ruzzier crafts the imaginative storyline in sparse text using the numbers 1, 2, and 3. Young readers will enjoy following the mice on their exciting journey.
Cindy Dobrez
Most counting books go to ten...but this simple gem just takes the reader from one to three and back. So much goes on in the two word statements:
One house
Two mice
Three cookies

Young readers will use the visual clues to predict what is coming next....oh, no!

Adorable!
Christopher
Jul 07, 2015 rated it it was amazing
This is a deceptively simple story, yet there is a lot to enjoy in this sweet gem of a book.
Michele Knott
Using numbers 1, 2, 3 in a clever way throughout the story.
This one is going on my Mock Geisel list.
Apr 05, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I got a bit worried for a second there....
Danielle
Jun 25, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: picture-books
I'm a big fan of Ruzzier's distinctive work and this counting up to and back down from three is such a wonderful story device.
Natalie  Sapkarov Harvey
I love the art in this book. Sergio may be my new favorite illustrator. Oh and I love the petite size of the book!
Sep 01, 2015 rated it it was amazing
This is a beautifully illustrated book that belongs in all preschool and kindergarten classrooms.
Ramon Requena
Jun 02, 2017 rated it it was ok
Shelves: 230
This book is about two mice who go around suffering anything that is not even, thus inconveniencing one of them. It has a poem-like structure that makes the story fly by. Although it does not have any real meaningful plot so it only stays as an entertaining book.
The media used is water-color, and this comes off as simple drawings. However, the art is endearing and makes the easy reading even more fun to read. The art of the book keeps the style consistent throughout.
To me, the book was too simpl
Cheriee Weichel
Aug 01, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Two mice head out on an adventure in a boat. They hit rocks, capsize, and nearly end up as dinner to baby birds before making it back home safe and sound.
It's the combination of the sparse text and delightful illustrations that make this book a hit. Using only the numbers, one, two, and three, the text is composed of two word phrases where the first word is one of these numbers. The rest of the story is revealed in the soft images.
I loved the humour in this. Even my one year old enjoyed it. It
Melanie
The book opens with two mice having a snack of cookies. Problem is there are 2 mice and three cookies; one mouse has 2 cookies and the other only one. After snack the 2 go on a boat ride. There's another problem: there are 3 boats, 2 oars and 2 mice. Again, one mouse ends up with the short end of the oar.

These adventures continue, counting back and forth between 1,2 and 3. A simple story to introduce counting.
Lynn  Davidson
Jul 16, 2017 rated it really liked it
This is a sweet, simplistic story set up as a counting book, although very different. The story begins before the title page and counts only to three, and back to one, a few times. Very cute story with adorable illustrations.
Janet
Nov 01, 2017 rated it really liked it
This title is not really written in the easy reader format, but young children will read this with ease because of the great coordination of text and illustrations and because of the repetitive use of the number words one, two, and three. A story of two mice and their day long adventures.
Joey Gremillion
Jun 05, 2017 rated it it was amazing
charming counting book
Chou Yuko
Nov 03, 2018 rated it liked it
The illustrations are nice, and it also can tell by themselves the rest of the story.
Patti
Adorable counting concept books. Count along as two mice go on an adventure! Perfect for a counting or concept storytime. Recommended for pre-k - kindergarten
Sara
Feb 13, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: book-talks-2017
Kindergarten cute mouse adventure. very easy beginning reader.
Margie

Every single day is filled with surprises in all sizes. There is the kindness of complete strangers helping you to reach something high on a shelf in the grocery store or allowing you to merge in traffic. A typical visit to the car wash can turn into a humorous moment long remembered. Handing the attendant a twenty dollar bill, I ask for eight bucks back. Instead of reaching in his pocket for change, he disappears for a lengthy bit of time. When he returns he hands me this note.

A sudden hug from
Kristine Hansen
Aug 20, 2015 rated it liked it
Shelves: kids-easy-reader
What I liked was how so much story was told with only a bare handful of words. Two mice have many adventures involving travel, a boat, and encounters with all kinds of animals. The downside? Some of the words are a little bit hard - like "escape" - so your beginning reader will have some difficulty in sounding out things for themselves. But still, it's a good concept, and a good book once you've helped your child through it the first time.
Susie
Jan 09, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Cute, hilarious book. A simple concept beautifully executed. Because I read the kindle edition, I only saw one page at a time, so I got to use my own powers of prediction. Used with students, you could ask what the implications are, especially in the cases of having 3 of something to divide between two mice.
I read this book because it was on some "best of 2015" lists, and I'm getting ready for the Caldecott Awards on Monday.
Daniel Cipriano
Two mice, one house, three cookies. This is a funny and an easy read for children to learn how to count to three. Through the story, the mice get into trouble but manage to safely get back to their home. This is a simple picture book that has a great adventure with counting skills in it. The illustrations in the book are very cute. The way they are drawn and sketched out is pretty funny. This is a good book for counting.
Ginnette
Overall, I can honestly say I enjoyed reading this book. The cover didn't immediately grab my attention, but to much surprises the book held my attention from cover to finish. The book overall was very simple in my opinion, very short sentences and few pictures, gave it the overall "simple" feel and tone to it. I say the age group this is a good read for in between the ages of 2 and 5. I think overall this would be a great read in any kindergarten classroom.
« previous 1 3 next »

• What This Story Needs Is a Pig in a Wig
  • Eggs, 1, 2, 3: Who Will The Babies Be?
  • Counting Lions: Portraits from the Wild
  • Soup for One
  • My Kite Is Stuck! And Other Stories (Duck, Duck, Porcupine)
  • A Pig, a Fox, and a Box
  • Twenty Big Trucks in the Middle of the Street
  • My Bus
  • Ten Birds
  • Charlie & Mouse (Charlie & Mouse, #1)
  • Ballet Cat The Totally Secret Secret (Ballet Cat, #1)
  • Have You Seen My Dragon?
  • Don't Throw It to Mo!
  • Round
  • Snail & Worm: Three Stories About Two Friends (Snail & Worm, #1)
  • Go, Otto, Go!
  • Oops, Pounce, Quick, Run!: An Alphabet Caper
  • Rabbit and Robot and Ribbit
Website and blog: http://www.ruzzier.com

Sergio Ruzzier was born in Milan, Italy, in 1966.

He began his career as an illustrator in 1986.

In 1995 he moved to New York City, where he’s been creating pictures and stories for national and international magazines and book publishers.

His work has been awarded by American Illustration, The Society of Illustrators, Communication Arts, and The Society of Pub