Start by marking “The Calum” as Want to Read:

(The Calum #1)

Calum, The (Noun)
1. fictional hero of best-selling romance novel, A Laird to Love
2. the perfect man

Twenty-six is too old to believe in fairytales, but tell that to Lovie’s roommate. Convinced she’ll find a real life version of her ultimate book boyfriend, Calum MacKenzie, Jo drags Lovie to the Scottish Highlands. Lovie’s no cynic *ahem* but she knows The Calum is a myth. A
ebook
Published December 16th 2014 by BookBaby (first published December 8th 2014)

To ask other readers questions about The Calum, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Calum

Chris
Disclaimer: I know the author of this book. She did not solicit this review or my purchase of the book. I brought my copy because (1) her telling of auditioning narrators for the audio book was hilarious (2) she made me feel welcome and (3) for every author that is a douche, there are at least ten who aren’t and who deserve a readership. The only way to find those is to read.

The disclaimer doesn’t cover everything, however. This book is classified as New Adult (which for the longest time I con
Tina
Cute. Well written. HFN. Novella, serialized, first in a trilogy.
Camille Adams
Dec 27, 2014 rated it liked it
Awright

Good dialect and dialogue.
Twyla Turner
Aug 11, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I loved this story! It was sweet, funny, and sexy as hell! I want to buy a plane ticket to Scotland and find my own Duff! The story was well written and overall amazing with well thought out characters. I love that Jo dragged Lovie to another country to find a fictional character because I feel like if I had the money I would do the same thing, as well as many other avid readers. And the ending was perfection and put a huge grin on my face!
LPJ
Dec 22, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: poc
Fantastic voice! Lovie is funny & witty and I really like being inside her head. And Duff's Scottish brogue was just too perfect.

The novella suffered a bit from its length not giving us quite enough time to forge an emotional connection with the characters, but their spark was impossible to ignore. The connection sizzled and both characters showed both their vulnerabilities and strengths.

The writing here is excellent, so smart and sharp. Oh, and she got me with the ending. Loved it!
Rita
Jan 05, 2015 rated it liked it
Shelves: interracial
Not bad, I would read something else by this author.
Kim
Dec 08, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Spending her Christmas vacation in cold, damp Scotland instead of on a beach in the Caribbean is not Lovie's idea of brilliance. Her best friend, Joana, is obsessed with a fictional character (who just happens to be a sexy Highlander) from her favourite book and convinces Lovie to go with her in search of her own real-life Calum. But Lovie gets more than she expected on this Scottish holiday--she finds herself face-to-face with brooding, sexy Duff, who's trouble just waiting to happen.

Xio Axelr
Ines Johnson
Fantastic story outside of the normal POC and IR boundaries. The writing and characters are "self aware" in the storybook setting of Inverness as Lovie reluctantly tags along with her BFF, a blonde haired Marilyn Monroe type, in search of the mythic storybook Scottish hero, the Calum.

I loved the light treatment of racial issues. I'm a POC (person of color) and I use romance novels as escapism. I don't want to deal with the stress and strife of the real world when I pull back a glossy cover. I d
Rhenna Morgan
Dec 10, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I received an early digital copy of this novella in exchange for an honest review.

Novellas are really tricky to pull off and not leave the reader feeling cheated when it comes to story, character, or plot development. One of the three nearly always suffers. Xio managed to wrap all three up quiet nicely. Yes, of course, the romance moves swiftly, but I read romance because I love the whole concept of falling in love, so that didn't bother me at all. I loved the setting of the story, the character
Trickiegyrl
Dec 15, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Romance

Nice beginning of series. Even though this is a short story, it's a complete one. Lovie is a hoot and Duff is the Scottish bad boy. Their chemistry is off the charts. Looking forward to the next story.
Lorice DeBlanc-Brim
Next installment please!
Layeshia
Jan 06, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: audiobooks
Two young women best friends go on vacation in Scotland. One is in search of just vacation time and the other is looking for the Callum. Both ladies enjoy reading romance novels. The Calllum is a fictional character in a romance novel. He’s the hero or the boyfriend. And lovie’s friend was in search of him. For adventures sake. Meanwhile lovie falls head over heals for his best friend Duff. This was a cute story.
LOVExtra RomanceNews
Aug 20, 2015 rated it it was amazing
There are times when you absolutely need a dedicated afternoon read. Usually it’s a day of extreme: sunny, or rainy. In-betweeny doesn’t count. It’s going to be cold or hot. Tepid? No way. That’s when you file your bills and receipts and maybe iron something.

The Calum by Xio Axelrod offers a Scottish Christmas setting. But I missed the Christmas read this year so decided to wait for another extreme: a blistering hot day. I packed the kids to the park, got a large pot of tea, some popcorn, a few
Romance Novels in Color
Jun 28, 2016 rated it really liked it
This story starts with a definition.

Calum (Noun)

Fictional hero of best-selling romance novel, A Laird to Love.
the perfect man

When Lovie’s best friend Jo decides to travel to Scotland to track down a Calum of her own Lovie is up for the adventure. Reluctantly. Day one, Jo, who is petite, blond, and all around cute stumbles across her perfect man in a pub (the hero's best friend). From there she’s smitten and can barely find the time to go exploring with her travel companion, Lovie. Enter Du
J.R.
Dec 09, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Well, in short. I loved it. And not simply because I immediately found there was a character with my name on her. Jo is Lovie's BFF since high school and she is a trip. A little naive maybe, but she's is funny, loyal, sincere and awesome. But enough about Jo, because I hear she gets her own book later, so I'll elaborate on her once I read that one. *SMILE*

Lovie is following Jo to Scotland to find her "Calum", a book boyfriend Jo is certain exists out there in the real world somewhere. Lovie's fi
Tea
Jan 13, 2015 rated it really liked it
My biggest complaint is that the story wasn't longer. I really, really loved the author's voice, and I really liked her MC, too. Lovie Grant and I share something of a sense of humour. There are little things that authors tend to get wrong when writing about people from a different country to their own; Xio Axelrod avoided many of these foibles, and for that I was grateful. There was nothing to pull me out of the book and into bed as I should have done (no worries; I got to work the next morning ...more
Samantha
Feb 10, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I liked the flow of the book and the dialogue between the characters right from the start. I was intrigued by C.J. MacDuff at first meeting. I could actually hear his Irish accent as the story went on and I felt as if I was sitting alongside everyone in the pub in Inverness. The scenes with him, Lovie, and his Gran were beautiful to witness. They had such a relaxing and peaceful feel, even though he bubbled with inner turmoil. I felt the worry as the impending truth about Hamish's relationship s ...more
Raine Balkera
Feb 14, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: own
The Calum is an easy (and fast) read and the first of Xio's work for me, too. It won't be the last, though, and here's why.

First, it is evident by her style that she adores poetry, which helped to make the sentences flow with a strangely subtle hint of that poetry flare to make it sound almost lyrical at times.

Second, she's a rule-breaker, which equates to my kind of gal and kindred soul in the art of writing.

Third, I've never been to Scotland before and never had any desire to go there, but whi
Terry Moskowitz
May 15, 2016 rated it really liked it
Lovie was not happy about following her friend Joana's dream of going to Scotland to find her Calum. She wanted to be on a beach somewhere not in the cold for her vacation over the holidays. She was not a dreamer like her friend and she did not believe in romance like those books made her friend believe.Scotland turned out way different for Lovie than she expects can things be in the stars for her?
This was a great fast read. Not only was I reading this, but I felt like I was there throughout the
S.C. Mitchell
Dec 09, 2014 rated it it was amazing
What a fun story! Axelrod offers intriguing and quirky characters, a solid, fun storyline, and wonderful twists and turns. I'd call it a good bedtime story, but don't plan on getting any sleep until you reach the end. The Calum rolls along, pulling you deep into the story. I really cared about these characters. It was 99¢ well spent. I can't wait for the next one.
Wendy Goldberry
Mar 09, 2016 rated it it was amazing
This heart warming story made me laugh harder than I thought I would. No is such a funny side character and watching her drag Lovie through her antics made me feel like I was with friends. Lovie and Duff's sweet story mace me smile from beginning to end. A great, quick read from the talented Xio... Now if only book two was ready!
Robin L
Oh my god! Fantastic! Perfection! This is the first m/f interracial book I've read that was meaty, real, and romantic. The characters were three dimensional and highly likable. And... there's going to be a sequel! Joy, joy, joy! This goes down in the interracial hall of fame. I hope the author cranks out many more like this.
evette w
Dec 20, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Hook Line and Sinker

This is one.sweet grown-up love story. You are pulled into a story that reads like it's unfolding before you and you don't want it to end.There is a sweet,sexy chemistry between the two main characters,that doesn't rely on just sex,it plays on that chemistry.A really good story,so go in fact I gave it to my mother.
Jessica Booker
Mar 09, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Delightful read!

I honestly don't know what I was expecting when I started this book, but all I know is that I was beyond annoyed that there wasn't more after the last page. Xio drew me into this world, and has left me dying for more. You won't be disappointed by this book (except that there's not another few chapters once it's over)!
FiveTeeJays
Jan 13, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Beautiful

This book was so ridiculously romantic and well written and well thought out. I couldn't put it down until I finished it. I LIVE for books like these!! I didn't want the story to end. It was simply......Beautiful.
Cynthia Hill
Dec 28, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Loved it

Where the heck is book two...please don't have me waiting to long, this was a great short read. Bravo Xio!!! Now release the next one soon, please. Patiently waiting.....
Faith Haile
Nov 03, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Delightful

Great read. I couldn't put it down. The characters are animated and real. I fell in love with the story.
Camylle
Dec 19, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Love this! Can't wait for more from the author and series!
gina mack
Nice

This was a cute, nice read. Loved the word play with "The Calum". If you're interested in reading something nice and cute, this is it. Give it a try. I did and enjoyed it.
Eden Ashe
Mar 31, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Good. God. Fun and sexy and charming and oh-so-wonderful, Xio's story draws you in and has you tripping into love with her characters.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »
Fans of Interraci...: New Release from Debut Author 6 47 Dec 16, 2014 03:40PM
  • Negotiating Skills
  • Connelly's Flame (The Megalodon Team, #3)
  • Thierry's Angel (Chevalier Men #1)
  • Leoti
  • Taken By Moonlight (Moonlight, #1)
  • Loving True (The Men of CCD #1)
  • Reye's Gold
  • The Alpha Promise
  • Kiss of Ice (St. James Family #1)
  • The Viking Wants Forever
  • Trapped into Marriage
  • Finding Divine
  • A Heart Not Easily Broken (The Butterfly Memoirs, #1)
  • Hopelessly Devoted to You
  • Roommate Wanted (Sharing Space, #1)
  • J-Pop Love Song
  • Casualties of Love
  • Choices
Xio Axelrod is a USA Today Bestselling author of love stories, contemporary romance and (what she likes to call) strange, twisted tales. She also writes erotica as Xio Nin. Xio grew up in the music industry and began recording at a young age. When she isn’t writing stories, she can be found in the studio, writing songs, or performing on international stages (under a different, not-so-secret name o ...more

The Calum (3 books)
  • Calum Me Maybe (The Calum Series - Book 2)
  • The Max (The Calum Series - Book 3)