Start by marking “The Murder House” as Want to Read:

4.06  ·  Rating details ·  34,193 ratings  ·  3,047 reviews
No. 7 Ocean Drive is a gorgeous, multi-million-dollar beachfront estate in the Hamptons, where money and privilege know no bounds. But its beautiful gothic exterior hides a horrific past: it was the scene of a series of depraved killings that have never been solved. Neglected, empty, and rumored to be cursed, it's known as the Murder House, and locals keep their distance. ...more
Published September 28th 2015 by Little, Brown and Company (first published September 24th 2015)

To ask other readers questions about The Murder House, please sign up.
This question contains spoilers… (view spoiler)
Abhishek
This answer contains spoilers… (view spoiler)

·  34,193 ratings  ·  3,047 reviews

Start your review of The Murder House
Kaceey
Mar 02, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A James Patterson stand alone. In fact, one of his better stand-alone novels I've read in a long time.

Noah Walker lives in the Hampton area .He works both as carpenter and general handy man for the elite who call this area their summer home. Noah is arrested for a double-murder, and the evidence seems clear. Maybe too much so.
Detective Jenna Murphy questions the suspiciously convenient case against Noah. Now, as more homicides both old and new come to light, Jenna is determined to find the kil
Mandy
Sep 02, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
5 magnificent fan "freaking" tastic stars! James Patterson knows his audience. I was hooked from the first page.

Everything about this thriller intrigued me. The title, the cover, the summary... Every single thing. I was stumped until the very end.. I thought for a tiny second I had it figured out but then double guessed myself and blew it off, turns out my prediction was right.

Read this book, it's a page turner. I couldn't put it down. Every chapter had something new that added to the mystery o
W. Whalin
Jun 14, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
What a Remarkable Thriller

The story held my attention from the beginning page until the final one. Throughout the story, I was constantly trying to guess who was the killer. The authors were skilled writers and I could not guess—until the final pages of the book. The story was well-crafted and I recommended it.
Matt
May 10, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: audiobook
James Patterson and David Ellis team up to bring readers another great thriller worthy of investment for all those curious enough to tackle this mystery. Jenna Murphy seeks the quiet life. Hampered with a grey cloud during her time with the NYPD, she flees to rural New York and joins the Southhampton Town Police Department, where her uncle, Langdon James, is Chief. When a couple is found slain inside a notorious house, all eyes turn to a potential jilted ex-boyfriend, Noah Walker. Choosing ease ...more
Miriam Smith
Feb 24, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: rachel
"Murder House" is a standalone thriller by James Patterson written with David Ellis which I really, really enjoyed from start to finish.
I love James Patterson's books and find his standalone stories the most entertaining. From the very first page this rollercoaster of a thriller, enthralled, entertained and had me at times on the edge of my seat, sending me up blind alleys not knowing who to trust and encountering twists and turns aplenty.
This was for me, one of the most compelling and addictive
Kirstin
May 25, 2016 rated it it was ok
Shelves: book-club
Mindless entertainment. Like reading a made-for-TV-drama. Just so predictable and bland.
Suzanne
Apr 01, 2018 rated it liked it
Not too bad but was predictable for the most part. I found my attention wandering during the read though. Most the time I read most Patterson books in a singular sitting or a day, but this one not so much because it just didn’t grasp my attention too much. Good twists and turns but was a bit predictable in the twists and turns.

My quick and simple overall: a good plot but predictable.
Brenda
Detective Jenna Murphy hadn't been back to the Hamptons since she was a small child - she had no idea why her family hadn't returned when they used to come for the summer every year. But since the problems she'd encountered in the NYPD, her Uncle Lang, who was Chief of Police in the Hamptons, offered her a position with his force.

When a young couple was brutally murdered in the old abandoned Murder House, so named because of its reputation, Jenna found herself becoming deeply involved in the in
Lorrea - WhatChaReadin'?
7 Ocean Drive also known as The Murder House, gives Detective Jenna Murphy the creeps. She used to play on the beaches right outside this house when she was little. Since she has been away from Southhampton Township for so long, she can't recall why. When two dead bodies are found in the house, Detective Murphy is on the case to find the killer. The number one suspect, Noah Walker has strong ties to the house and is known for his past crimes. The story behind the house is a good setting for any ...more
Stacey
Sep 23, 2019 rated it really liked it
James Patterson and his unlimited number of co-authors are a hit or miss for me, but I continue to read them hoping for a hit. The Murder House with co-author David Ellis fits the bill and is a hit. I got a great mystery, creepy old mansion with a few creepy characters to go with it, and a female detective that when told no pushes on and delivered the goods.
Kyle
May 14, 2016 rated it did not like it
Actual rating: 1.5

This review will be short, because I don't care to remember much about this reading experience.

My main complaints:
Predictable
•I read a few reviews where readers stated they were stumped about who the killer(s) was until the very end. I solved it less than halfway through. That ruined it for me. It removed any sort of surprise or excitement. To elaborate (view spoiler)
Holly
Oct 13, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2015
Its been years since I've read a Patterson book. For one, I couldn't keep up with an author who came out with 10 books a year! He's actually not the best writer considering that he's sold millions upon millions of books. But with that said, I did like this one. It grabbed me right away, kept wavering on who the killer was (although, I did actually figure out one piece of the puzzle rather quickly), and it was a fast read that I could devour on my day off.
joyce g
Jul 17, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
For those who enjoy a house of blood soaked horror.
This is a most enjoyable read, maybe on a stretch of beach with some old rambling cottages behind you.
Rebecca
Aug 26, 2015 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I normally love James Patterson books, and can accept a healthy amount of suspension of disbelief. But this book is terrible. My primary issue is with the main character - a police detective who keeps talking about how good she is at her job but apparently has no instinct, no control over her emotions, and has a habit of breaking into places and physically attacking the people she suspects rather than actually asking them any questions.

The most preposterous aspect involves a spoiler so don't co
Monnie
Oct 09, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
First, let me get the "stuff" I wasn't crazy about out of the way. I'm not fond of first-person narratives, and I especially dislike present-tense writing. And while the ending wraps everything up in a neat and tidy fashion, it goes against the grain of human emotion; nobody I know is able forgive and forget that fast.

Other than that, this one's a killer - starting with a first chapter that made me say "Wow! out loud - really! It's so good, in fact, that I was almost happy when we weren't able t
Julie (JuJu)
Aug 03, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2019-reads, ng-2019
We were getting ready to take a long road trip and needed a few audiobooks to pass the time. It has been a long time since I’ve read a James Patterson book, but this one happened to be one me and my husband agreed on 😝.

I DO NOT like big books and I cannot lie! I doubt I would have ever read the 451 page book, but the narration of the audiobook was great and it passed a big chunk of time.

This thriller had several elements that grab my attention, and it did not disappoint...a creepy, abandoned ho
Ken
Jul 28, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
One of Patterson’s better novels, great premise. I was instantly hooked!

A multimillion-dollar beachfront house in the Hamptons believed to be cursed after a series of murders.
Having moved to the area Detective Jenna Murphy soon becomes involved with a case after two bodies have been found in the old abandoned house.

Patterson novels are always a quick fast paced read, but they can be so hit or miss.
This one was great, with plenty of twists the kept me wanting to know more.
It’s a shame that more
jv poore
Feb 10, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: library-book
James Patterson can do no wrong, and this book is even better than usual. I could not put it down!
Wendy
Oct 08, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The Murder House

This was the best book I've read by James Patterson in a very very long time. I was pleasantly surprised and I hope his novels continue to be this good from now on. I was ready to give up reading his books but I'm happy I decided to try this one. Great writing and a wonderful mystery.
Lawrence
James Patterson did it again! He kept me guessing until the end. If you like reading/listening to JP's books, then I highly recommend this one too. Enjoy the ride!
Nurse Lisa In Ohio (PRN Book Reviews)
What a GREAT book! Intense, thrilling and mind-boggling awesome mystery. Sooooo so good!
Mike French
Nov 04, 2015 rated it really liked it
This stand alone novel keeps the reader in suspense from start to the finish! Very enjoyable and entertaining.
Nikki
Oct 09, 2015 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Wow.. I really expected so much more from this book. Where do I start? I don't want to give anything away, but I'm just really surprised at some of the unrealistic parts of this book. I mean really.. You have a home that has had many disturbing murders and things happen in it that it is actually dubbed The Murder House and yet am I really to believe the police never go down to check the basement?!? First thing that struck me as crazy.. Then Jenna's past is so vague, i kept believing somehow ther ...more
Donna
Oct 31, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I read this book in two sittings, which would have been one if sleep hadn't intervened! Grisly murders by a psychopath(s), an unsolved mystery, a detective willing to lose everything to find the truth, a love story thrown in - all parts of this new book by James Patterson. It was fun to work the clues and find the answers along with the characters. Even though I had figured it out, the ending was full of extras. If you love James Patterson or murder mysteries, you will love this!
Alissa Patrick
Jan 23, 2016 rated it did not like it
So boring. The main character was a basket case and incredibly annoying. This felt way too over the top, and in a way, the 'Murder House' was a behind the scenes plot instead of the main synopsis. So disappointing.
Jenny
Jun 26, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: crime, mystery
The Murder House is about an abandoned house, greed, revenge and murder. Hollywood power broker and his mistress bodies found in the abandoned house called The Murder House due to it history has the setting of the unsolved killings that happen in its past. Detective Jenna Murphy recently returns home to the Hamptons after her law enforcement career in New York ended caught the case. At first glance, Detective Jenna Murphy thought it was a straightforward murder case. However, that was not the ca ...more
Bren
“No one ever leaves alive The house at 7 Ocean Drive”
― James Patterson, The Murder House

Much MUCH better then most books I have read from Patterson.

This is one of the few books by him that I actually enjoyed. I have to stop and think about that. I enjoyed a James Peterson book! Finally! Yay!

Murder house was really creepy. I’m kind of on the fence about books featuring frightening houses. On one level I like them because they scare and they are Eerie and creepy. On the other hand I don’t like th
Suzanne the Bookaholic and Proud
as always with a james patterson book you never know what's gonna happen next and you can never guess right on whodunit, I think I pegged everyone as the murderer but not the actual person, they was probably the one that I never thought of, which is the whole point of a James patterson whodunit always keeping you guessing and never letting on.
well I can't wait for the next book and to never being able to guess right but I wouldn't want it any other way.
Madeline
Dec 26, 2015 rated it really liked it
Audiobook

This was an excellent audiobook. I listened to the cd version, as soon as one cd ended, I had to quickly put on the next one.

Murder House is very quick paced and exciting; I couldn't wait to hear what happened next.

I'd probably have given it 5 stars, but I thought the female protagonist was rather unlikeable. I secretly wished she would be put out of her misery. lol

Tim
Oct 08, 2015 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Despite several attempts, I did not like, nor could I finish this story. 0 of 10 stars
Future Teachers, ...: Sack.Review#5 1 2 Nov 04, 2016 01:45PM
Around the Year i...: The Murder House, by James Patterson and David Ellis 3 36 Sep 06, 2016 01:05PM
Libri Labra Book ...: The Murder House Discussion *SPOILERS* 4 70 Dec 17, 2015 10:37AM

• Redemption (Amos Decker, #5)
Official US Site
Official UK Site
JIMMY Patterson Books
ReadKiddoRead

James Patterson is the world’s bestselling author and most trusted storyteller. He has created more enduring fictional characters than any other novelist writing today, with his Alex Cross, Michael Bennett, Women’s Murder Club, Private, NYPD Red, Daniel X, Maximum Ride, and Middle School series. He has sold over 380 million books wo