Start by marking “Curiosity Quills: Chronology” as Want to Read:
Curiosity Quills: Chronology

Curiosity Quills: Chronology

(Curiosity Quills Anthology)

It's time... for time! Embark on a literary journey through the ages with Curiosity Quills Press in our latest, greatest, and BIGGEST annual anthology yet. Filled with short stories by greats the likes of Piers Anthony, J.R. Rain, Richard Roberts, Scott Nicholson, Tony Healey, and more, Chronology will send your imagination down unexplored tunnels of history, from the earl ...more
ebook
Published January 1st 2015 by Curiosity Quills Press

To ask other readers questions about Curiosity Quills, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Curiosity Quills

Crystal Collier
Feb 06, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2015
This was a very interesting collection of stories. I had no idea what to expect from one to the next, and that made for a fun reading adventure. A quick heads up, this is a LONG collection, which makes it ideal for the reader who wants a snatch of story here or there, but also wants to take their time with a single book.

My overall thoughts can be found at the end of this review, but here's a story by story break down. (As with all my reviews, you'll find content warnings for young/choosy readers
C. McKenzie
Mar 13, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
One thing about reading short story anthologies is that if one story doesn't appeal another is likely to. I suppose that's why I enjoy them.
What struck me about Chronology is how many categories of fiction the stories encompassed: Everything from Stempunk to Sci fi to zombie-western fusion is included in the collection--something for almost everyone.

Stellar performance goes to Whitechapel by Andrew Buckley. Brilliant, clever and so well written that I shouted, "No. Don't stop," at the end. I wan
Mark Junk
Jan 04, 2015 rated it it was amazing
This is a wonderful collection! The variety of stories and characters are robust and varied enough to fit the interests of many types of readers. Each tale was written very well and I did not find a clunker in the bunch. This is a great opportunity to read some new and veteran authors you may not be familiar with. I can particularly recommend the tales by Piers Anthony, JR Rain, Matthew Cox, and Scott Nicholson. I have read several full novels from each of these authors and recommend those as we ...more
Tina
Mar 17, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Wonderful well written anthology! There wasn't a story in the book I didn't love! All captivating, well written and true to the short story genre I was quite impressed with collection! I would definitely recommend this anthology to anyone who loves to read short stories. A couple of personal favorites include The Draconic King by James Wymore, Strange Flesh by Katie Young, Yours Until the Ink Dries by Jordan Elizabeth, and The Colorado King by Nathan Yocum. Great read :)
David Woodall
Mar 17, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Excellent anthology! Great cause. I found J.P. Sloan and Matthew Cox! Curiosity Quills did a great job bringing their stable of authors to my attention. I have been reading .since 2015 and will continue as long as I can.
Dave Higgins
May 17, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: reviewed
This anthology contains 24 short stories of speculative fiction in a range of genres and styles.

‘Draconic King’ by James Wymore: seeing weakness in a neighbouring country, a young king attempts to convince the dragon who aided his ancestors to join his invasion.

‘Wind Up Hearts’ by Stan Swanson: two people, granted longevity by an experimental clockwork heart, seek a future defined by more than their mutual technology.

‘Flight of the Pegasus’ by Darin Kennedy: a government agent attempts to con
Hazel
Jun 20, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: reviewed
This eBook was provided by one of the authors in exchange for an honest review

Chronology
is a large anthology of stories published at the beginning of 2015 by Curiosity Quills Press. Twenty-Four of Curiosity Quill’s greatest authors feature in this lengthy book providing stacks of entertainment for a wide audience. The stories vary in length and genre, however the most common themes are steampunk and the paranormal.

Males and females alike can enjoy the stories featured in Chronology, although n
Marva
Jan 11, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A review for a collection of 24 stories. What a great grab bag!

There are stories of every stripe and variety from fantasy to horror to SF to who-knows-what. I found most of them entertaining at least and "yay, I've discovered a new author" at best. I already bought one of the books and will be shopping for some others now. Very handy to have links to the authors' websites and links to their books at the end of each story.

I won't say which stories I found outstanding or so-so (there are few of th
Roberta R. (Offbeat YA)
First off, I would like to thank Curiosity Quills for sending me a review copy. I usually enjoy their books a lot, though - disclaimer - anthologies can be hit or miss in my case. I'm sorry to say that Chronology didn't work for me - and to be fair, my rating probably reflects that more than the quality of the book itself. Some of the genres (like fantasy, steampunk, historical and slapstick humour) weren't my cup of tea; some of the stories I ended up skimming because I couldn't feel their pull ...more
Aly
Mar 07, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: netgalley
This book is a great collection of fantasy fiction. I enjoyed these different stories. It was a little bit of everything in this collection. WOW! So many stories to talk about. I think you should check this book out for yourself. I don't want to give too much away. Great book! * I received this book from Netgalley in exchange for an honest review*
Fizza
May 12, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is a collection of short stories. Some are very good, some great, and some absolutely amazing. I liked almost all the stories but my favorite are Wind-Up Hearts, by Stan Swanson & Yours Until the Ink Dries, by Jordan Elizabeth.
Sharon Absher
Feb 09, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I was given this book for free to give a honest review.

This is a book full of different short stories. They are all well-written. Some of the stories will end making you wish they kept going. Each story is unique in itself and will have you turning the page to find out what happens next.
Jaffa Kintigh
Some anthologies are "Best Of" and some have themes. I mistakenly thought an anthology called Chronology would have a time-based theme, but I was wrong. There is no theme to this collection and only two stories even remotely had time as a theme--the excellent "Wind Up Hearts" by Swanson and Elizabeth's "Yours Until the Ink Dries".

Even the genres are a hodgepodge, which was a complete surprise. This collection contains high fantasy, urban fantasy, urban legend, steampunk, future steampunk, space
Ally Camble
I picked up Curiosity Quills thinking it was a collection of science fiction stories only. Unfortunately, I forgot that short stories, in my experience, are often meant to disturb the reader. Add to that, the collection included horror and fantasy, sometimes mixing all three together in one and you have another strange, disturbing collection. If you like that sort of thing, this book is amazing. If you don't, probably find something else.

"Wind-Up Hearts" (Stan Swanson) is an exception. A delight
Lynda
I confess I read only the one story in this collection. The one by Matthew Graybosch set in his future dystopia where powerful agents of law and order, called Adversaries, have a license to kill. His endearingly human powerhouse, Morgan Stormbringer, is featured in the short story "Limited Liability" tackling the problem of dissuading rich, amoral industrialists from threatening the future of life on Earth.

You don't want to get on the wrong side of Morgan Stormbringer when the world's at stake.
Kaye Booth
I’ve just had the pleasure of reviewing a new anthology of short fiction put out by Curiosity Quills Press. When asked if I’d like to review Chronology, I had the impression that it was a steampunk anthology, which is a genre I’m newly discovering. Some of the stories in this collection do have steampunk elements, such as Wind Up Hearts, the steampunk-ish romance that is sure to break readers’ hearts, by Bram Stoker Award finalist, Stan Swanson, or Flight of the Pegasus by Dr. Darin Kennedy. The ...more
Donna
Jul 21, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is a good collection of short stories, àll very different, which I have individual reviews below for. Overall, I would say that they are well-written and mostly self-contained stories which are the perfect length for reading in a day (some just over a meal or during a commute journey), and it's a great way to discover new authors too. If you like scifi or fantasy stories with a steampunk twist, this could be the short story box set for you.

Individual:
Draconic King by James Wymore (4*)
This
Chrissy Dyer
May 13, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is a fabulous collection of stories! Every time you read another story, they just keep better and better until you realize the book is finished. I will be reading this book over and over for years to come!
Tish Cocktails & Fairytales
Jan 02, 2015 rated it really liked it
Exciting and diverse collection of stories. J.R. Rain's The Bull was my favorite
Maria
This was my first time reading an anthology, and since I'm used to following only a single story throughout a book, this took time. But I did enjoy most of the stories! All were very well written and had something unique going on. You don't know what to expect from the next after each one you finish. And I recommend that as the way to go, if you want to enjoy each story fully. Be aware that they take a while to get into, though.
• My favourite was The Unattended Life by J.E. Anckorn. The tone too
Thistle
Jan 06, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
In a way, this book bugged me. Chronology is a collection of short stories with the theme of "time". Stories about time travel? Nope. Stories set in the past/future? Nope. To be included in this book, the story had to be set in a period of time. If your story cannot meet that bar, I'd be curious to see it!

So these stories had no central theme at all. Some were set in the past, some future, some in the current RL world, some in a fantasy world. With the exception of one author (Piers Anthony), ev
Mererid Evanna
Nov 30, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I have enjoyed dipping into this diverse collection over the last few months, and have found more plums than prunes. Some of the entries are a little austere for my taste, though they are perfectly okay stories that will doubtless appeal to many others. Sometimes in these anthologies you feel you are only getting a snippet of a larger story, but that is only true of a couple of these. Hard to pick a favourite, but I'll mention "That Which Is Hidden", a fantasy western featuring a fantastic inven ...more
Scarolet Ellis
Dec 04, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Curiosity Quills: Chronology by Jordan Elizabeth is a great story to read. This a great story writen by a brand new author I never read before this story. If you love fntasy and Sci-Fi then this is the story for you and I highly recommend it if you love those.

Tanya
Dec 14, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A wonderful collection of stories which will have you wanting so much more and you will be transported to different place. The stories are so delightful

Nicholas Masters
Jul 27, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: short-stories, arc
A really great compilation.
Some really brilliant books, and all very enjoyable (well, with the exception of one book that was written in some very frustrating dialect)

This was a perfect introduction to a few authors that I am definitely interested in following up on and discovering what else they have to offer.
Julia David
May 18, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is a collection of short stories. Some have humor, some are sad and are really strange. All in all, very entertaining.
Ed
« previous 1 3 next »

• Gears of Brass Anthology
  • Without Bloodshed
  • The Mussorgsky Riddle
  • One More Run (The Roadhouse Chronicles #1)
  • Salvation
  • Havelock
  • Mercury in Retrograde (A Shot in the Dark Book 1)
  • The Curse Servant (The Dark Choir #2)
  • Unnatural Law (Darwin's Children, #2)
  • Broken Branch Falls
  • The Spell Master (Journey into the Realm, #2)
  • Wolf
  • The Heroine's Journey
  • Reawakening (The Passage of Hellsfire, Book 3)
  • The Vampire Underground (Grisly High #1)
  • The Astounding Adventure of the Ancient Dragon
  • Kasper Mützenmacher’s Cursed Hat (Life Indigo #1)
I'm an ex-private investigator now writing full-time in the Pacific Northwest, where I live in a small house on a small island with my small dog, Sadie, who has more energy than Robin Williams.

As a kid I was always making stuff: skates, skateboards, skimboards, skis, sleds, clothing, furniture, wood carvings, Easter baskets, comic books, you name it. I was the mother of all nerds. Anyway, I think

Curiosity Quills Anthology (6 books)
  • After Dark (Curiosity Quills Anthology)
  • Primetime (Curiosity Quills Anthology)
  • Cast No Shadows (Curiosity Quills Anthology)
  • Windows into Hell (Curiosity Quills Anthology)
  • Darkscapes (Curiosity Quills Anthology)