Start by marking “Rocks Fall, Everyone Dies” as Want to Read:
Rocks Fall, Everyone Dies

Rocks Fall, Everyone Dies

Twin Peaks meets Stars Hollow in this paranormal suspense novel about a boy who can reach inside people and steal their innermost things—fears, memories, scars, even love—and his family’s secret ritual that for centuries has kept the cliff above their small town from collapsing.

Aspen Quick has never really worried about how he’s affecting people when he steals from them. B
Published June 7th 2016 by Kathy Dawson Books

To ask other readers questions about Rocks Fall, Everyone Dies, please sign up.
Susan Reeves deMasi I think he would understand the story well enough, but there is some cursing and quite a few instances of teen drinking and sex/making out. I'd say…moreI think he would understand the story well enough, but there is some cursing and quite a few instances of teen drinking and sex/making out. I'd say it's more suited for older teens.(less)
Nettie He says he is seventeen in the book.

Jan 25, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Pitched as Twin Peaks meets Stars Hollow, I was immediately sold. Yes, please! It ends up being a really fun, suspenseful, original YA with a great dose of magical realism. Other’s describe it as paranormal. I think that could steer some readers wrong as it is paranormal in the sense that there are powers beyond the scope of normal scientific understanding, but it’s not ghosts or anything like that.

Aspen Quick and his family have the ability to reach inside people and steal what ultimately makes
Alienor ✘ French Frowner ✘

I'll be upfront with you : If you can't stand unlikeable MCs, you may want to steer clear of this book.*

While we're at it, I need to point that the Paranormal label is misleading in my opinion : Rocks Fall, Everyone Dies (how's that for an awesome title?!) reads more like a coming-of-age/mystery novel with important magical-realism elements (I know, it looks complicated XD). Look, I'm the first to say that genres aren't important and that we shouldn't choose our books because of some marketing
Lindsay Ribar
Oct 09, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)
ROCKS FALL, EVERYONE DIES: A PLAYLIST

1. Lonely Boy (The Black Keys)
2. Girl That You Love (Panic! at the Disco)
3. Turn It Around (Lucius)
4. Little Lion Man (Mumford & Sons)
5. Hurricane (MS MR)
6. I Will Never Die (Delta Rae)
7. Oh Glory (Panic! at the Disco)
8. The Great Unknown (Jukebox the Ghost)
Maja (The Nocturnal Library)

I strongly suspect that a title like Rocks Fall, Everyone Dies will make just about everyone grab this book from the shelf. It’s a title that demands attention, but luckily for us (and for debut author Lindsey Ribar) the rest of the book absolutely deserves it. Closer to magical realism than just about anything else, this debut title is funny, quirky and unique.

The story is told by a 17-year-old boy from a family with magical abilities. Member’s of Aspen’s family can reach into people and take
Wendy Darling
Very different from anything I've read before, in a good way. I liked how the MC developed in particular, and that the story keeps you guessing. Review to come.

But I gotta say, women writers are ON FIRE this year with the sly digs at Jonathan Franzen. *insert smirk emoji*
Justine
Jun 10, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Aspen Quick can reach into people and remove things from them, literally separate out parts of their personality or even physical aspects like a mole or freckles, and make it like those things were never there. He can also choose to absorb those things he steals from others into himself.

The whole of the Quick family wields this magic, this ability to "reach" into others, but it is particularly strong in Aspen. The Quick family is rooted in the town of Three Peaks in upstate New York, where for
Michelle
Jun 15, 2017 rated it liked it
Actual review: 2.5 stars

First things first, I hated the characters, basically every single one of them, except Leah. Leah was really the only one I liked. But the rest of them either had extremely unlikable personalities and characteristics, or they were completely flat.

The only thing that made me want to finish this book was the plot. It was a well thought out, interestingly different plot. For me, the plot is what made a book with 1 star characters into a 2.5 star book.

Next, the ending. I mi
Nicole
This book broke me. And not in the good way. Can I give a book negative stars? Please? Cause this one gets all the negative stars.

This review is not going to be coherent. Sorry, but I'm not sorry. It has literally reduced to me to wanting to curl up in the corner and cry.

Also, spoilers (and swearing) ahoy!

Let me numerate my issues with this book:

1) Why the fuck did they compare this book's setting to Stars Hollow? There is nothing remotely the same about Stars Hollow and the town where this
Jen (The Starry-Eyed Revue)
An ARC of this title was provided by the publisher in exchange for an honest review. This review can also be found at The Starry-Eyed Revue.

Weird and different and weirdly different. That about sums up this book. It's quirky AF, but perfect for a reader like me who's pretty much read it all and ready for an odd little novel like this. Also, to be fair, I would consider it more magical realism than outright paranormal. And for most readers, it probably will seem suspenseful, but with regards to t
Claire Legrand
Jul 29, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Fresh, smart, and hilarious, ROCKS FALL, EVERYONE DIES explores ideas about choice, family, identity, and empathy in completely unpredictable ways. The magic system is dangerous and different, the setting vivid and more than a little unnerving. I 100% had no clue what wild journey this surprising book was going to take me on until it happened (which was a lot of fun, obviously, not being able to guess the ending--or, really, not being able to guess ANYTHING). You might think you know what Aspen ...more
Brittany (The Book Addict's Guide/Novelly Yours)
Initial Impressions 6/12/16: 4 stars
This was a lot of fun! I really enjoyed the magical realism side of it (I think magical realism is probably the best way to describe it, right? Family with abilities that no one else has. I think that's the best categorization).
I was hoping for a bit more sarcasm - just because I love it so much - but there was still some snark and humor there. (I think I was more thinking it'd be a little more "campy" like Hold Me Closer, Necromancer but still a good comp re
Mandy
The idea was original, but the book suffered from a severe lack of likeable characters.

Check out my full review on FYA.
theresa 🌸🥑
this was very very weird???
but i think i liked it???
Paige (Illegal in 3 Countries)
See more of my reviews on The YA Kitten! My copy was an ARC I got from Amazon Vine.

“Rocks fall, everyone dies” is the classic joke about how to end a series. Harry Potter? ROCKS FALL, EVERYONE DIES. Game of Thrones? THE ROCKS, THEY’RE FALLING. It used to be semi-serious and a way for game masters in tabletop RPGs to end things when they’re fed up, but now we just know it as something funny. So a dramatic novel with that title from an author I know and love? Of course I’m in!

Aspen is a pretty ter
Cassi
Jul 12, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: wish-list, audiobooks
I was intrigued by this book when I first learned about it. Nevermind the Twin Peaks meets Stars Hollow comparison, a magical realism and paranormal mystery with a crazy family dynamic.... yes, please. And this book did not disappoint. It was weird in the best possible way and one of the most unique YA fantasies I have read in awhile.

I think my favorite thing about this book was the magical realism aspects. It's a subgenre of fantasy that I have really enjoyed lately and I loved it here. The mag
Rashika (is tired)
***This review has also been posted on The Social Potato

Isn’t the title of this book just great? It’s even awesomer when the author drops it into some of the conversations in the book. But really, this book is amazing. It seems like it would either be full of dark humor or fluff and while it has both, Rocks Fall, Everyone Dies is surprisingly dark and wonderfully mysterious. I had to take several breaks throughout because there was so much tension and so much build-up to a really fucking gre
Heather
Jul 07, 2016 rated it did not like it
Shelves: reviewed
Jen Malone
Jan 11, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Totally creepy and cool and mind bend-y, when it's not busy being funny and clever. So yeah... I loved it.
Desislava Sivilova
Jul 13, 2018 rated it it was amazing
A really intriguing premise: a whole family possessing the ability to steal people's feelings, memories and personality traits and absorb them or transfer them to others. Plus an ancient ritual to keep a cliff from crashing and burying an entire town. And a self-centered, uncaring MC who feels justified in using his powers even on his closest friends ... I admit, I was hooked from the very start!

And the novel did not disappoint. The plot twisted and turned in ways that I never saw coming, and my
Jessie  (Ageless Pages Reviews)
4.5

A clever, creative magical realism novel that reminded me strongly of Holly Black’s Curseworkers series. Family, power, and memory are all key themes and explored through unique lenses. I want a sequel.
Teodora
Nov 12, 2017 rated it really liked it
Bulgarian review: https://bookishipster.wordpress.com/2...

Whoa, i really enjoyed this book. It was strange for me to read about a protagonist who isn't really doing all good, but mostly bad things, even though he can't exactly realise that, but it was so much fun! The whole book is such a quick and interesting read, full with surprises and plot twists that i didn't expect. It also had some nice book mentions which i really appreciate.
Claire (Book Blog Bird)
This was a pretty funny book, but the MC was a complete sociopath and just couldn't wrap his head around the fact that stealing tiny parts of people's personalities was a bad thing to do. I saw what the big reveal was but the ending was still good and the whole concept was fresh and original.
Angie
Oct 03, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-2016, 4-star
Originally posted at Lady Knight Reads

Note: I received this book for free from the publisher in exchange for an honest review. This does not affect my opinion of the book or the content of my review.

I can honestly say I’ve never read anything like this before, in the best kind of way. It’s dark and moody, filled with compelling and charismatic characters (say that 10 times fast) and so many twists and turns it kept me guessing the entire time which, that just doesn’t happen anymore and it was so
Silviya ☾
Mar 06, 2018 rated it liked it
“Rocks fall, everyone dies" is a really light book. Easy to read and very appropriate for readers who are in a book slump.
I read it for a very short time because I was really interested in finding out how Aspen's story was going to develop. It's for sure not going to be...

Check out my full review in my blog :
Shae McDaniel
Daaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaang, Ribar!

Okay, so, in the interest of full disclosure, the author is a friend of mine, which is why I didn't even mark that I had started reading this, just in case. But daaaaaaaaaaaaang this was good! ROCKS FALL starts off deliberately typical with a self-absorbed boy whining over the fact that his best friend is dating his long-time crush. Ribar sets up Aspen so beautifully, establishing him as a (if I may be frank) horrible person who doesn't realize he's horrible before ch
Karin
Feb 24, 2017 rated it really liked it
My first thoughts when I thought about a review of this book, was that anyone who is triggered by gaslighting or emotionally abusive relationships should not read it. If you're not sure, I'll put some additional info behind the (view spoiler) ...more
Bee
Quite The Novel Idea ~ Words from the Clouds

This was a very strange and quirky little book. In a very unique way Rocks Fall, Everyone Dies deals with family, friendship, choosing your own path in life and empathy. However, I wouldn't call it paranormal. It feels more like magical realism to me. That's a genre I don't read a lot of and I was pleasantly surprised with how much I enjoyed it. And because a quirky book like this deserves more than a normal review, here are 4 reasons you should read i
Chelsea
May 26, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: meh, magic, young-adult
*ARC provided for review* Rating: 3.5

Aspen Quick and his family has a unique form of magic. They have the ability to reach into other people and take memories, personality traits, and physical characteristics, such as hair colour, or someone's perfect vision.

Aspen is used to getting what he wants, and doesn't think twice about altering the will of those around him. My initial reaction to Aspen? ––

For most of the book, Aspen remains unchanged, blindly following the ritual his family does to main
Debby

This is one of those really hard books to read and rate because the main character is so purposefully unlikable. Like, really. He's manipulative, borderline sadistic, selfish, and greedy. And yet. It is interesting to see his thought process, and how his supernatural powers made him this way. Absolute power corrupts absolutely, and all that jazz.

That doesn't mean that I didn't get completely pissed off at him though, and practically laughed in his face when his world imploded around him
Stephanie
Oct 09, 2016 rated it liked it
I think this book had a lot of potential that it never fully lived up to. The characters, other than Aspen, were not that well developed and were easily removed from the story when their usefulness to Aspen's development was over. I was expecting a lot more from the ending and was a little disappointed with how open-ended it was. The main thing that kept me reading this books was Aspen. When the main character is unlikable I need to LIKE not liking him and Ribar did a good making me feel that. H ...more

• The Pros of Cons
  • The Bad Decisions Playlist
  • Just Kill Me
  • The Whisper (The Riverman Trilogy, #2)
  • Lotus and Thorn
  • Pyg: The Memoirs of Toby, the Learned Pig
  • This Is the Story of You
  • Thieving Weasels
  • Black Helicopters
  • The Revenge of Eli Monpress (The Legend of Eli Monpress, #4-5)
  • The Whole Stupid Way We Are
  • Where Futures End
  • The New Guy (and Other Senior Year Distractions)
  • The Secret Life of Lincoln Jones
  • Burning Midnight
  • Long Walk to Valhalla
  • The Wrap-Up List
  • Rules for Stealing Stars
Lindsay Ribar lives in New York City, where she works in book publishing by day and writes YA novels by night. She attends far too many concerts, watches far too much nerdy TV, and consumes fanfiction like it's made out of chocolate. She is fond of wine, cheese, and countries where they speak English but with really cool accents. Oh, and she has a Harry Potter tattoo.