Start by marking “Kandide and the Secret of the Mists (The Calabiyau Chronicles, #1)” as Want to Read:
Kandide and the Secret of the Mists (The Calabiyau Chronicles, #1)

Kandide and the Secret of the Mists (The Calabiyau Chronicles #1)

3.87  ·  Rating details ·  385 Ratings  ·  45 Reviews
When Kandide is crowned queen of the Kingdom Calabiyau after her father's death, she becomes keeper of the Gift, the key to survival for all life. Like her father, she promises to be a great leader of all the Fee, despite her consuming vanity a fitting characteristic in a land where physical perfection is cherished above all else.
Published May 1st 2008 by Noesis Publishing (first published 2008)

To ask other readers questions about Kandide and the Secret of the Mists, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Kandide and the Secret of the Mists

Nov 19, 2009 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Fans of Young Adult Fantasy and/or Fairies
Kandide and the Secret of the Mists is the first full-length novel about fairies that I've read, and overall, it was a generally pleasant experience. The main focus of the book is a lovely theme about beauty being more than skin deep. While I agreed wholeheartedly with the message it conveyed, I thought that the author was perhaps a bit heavy-handed and over-simplistic in its delivery. Granted the story is aimed at tweens and younger teens, but I think that kids can be perceptive enough to “get ...more
Jun 08, 2009 rated it really liked it
A fantasy story set in the world of Fée, centering around Princess Kandide, as she becomes Queen. Kandide is very beautiful, but she knows it, she's vain, arrogant and selfish, so when she awakens after an accident with a bad injury, she's is banished to the Mists, where Fée who are not perfect are sent. She soon comes crashing down to earth when she releases she's alone in the dark scary woods with no way home, and no one to help her...

This is not my usual kind of book, but I throughly enjoyed
Shannon McGee
Sep 21, 2008 rated it really liked it
Shelves: faeries, royals
I love when a book has artwork within it. It just makes it that more special. The characters in the book are full of magic, myth and creativity that you just have to like. Of course it does help even more if you are faery lover. This is a story about being different outside and how you can be the same as others on the inside. It is also about having power and using it wisely. I actually have two of these books and I am hoping to meet the author at FaerieCon Oct 10th - 12th and get one of the bo ...more
Dec 20, 2008 rated it really liked it
Shelves: pwn3d
This was a well written tale about a young Fee learning the value of true beauty. I struggled to identify with the characters in the beginning and the development of these characters was rather slow going. Having said that, towards the middle and the introduction of some new characters I warmed up to the world and Fee that Zimmerman has created. I can't help but think this would make a great Disney Channel movie. I will definitely be keeping up with this series.
I enjoyed this book until about 200 pages in. Then, I just became annoyed with Kandide's obnoxious and self-conceited ways. I can only read so much about someone who knows she is SOOOOO beautiful. THe plot also started to get all mucky towards the end. I'm pretty sure I won't seek out the next two books.
Jun 09, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: EVERYONE
Recommended to Grace by: my mom
Shelves: recommended
it was AWESOME! guess what though, they ended the story in a very important time i might add with to be continued! HOW DARE DIANA ZIMMERMAN DEPRIVE ME OF KANDIDE!
Apr 19, 2014 rated it really liked it
i loved the book and how kandide's father created the veil
Avid Bookivore
Aug 13, 2017 rated it it was amazing
The beginning of this story starts out with a flare that captures the attention of the audience. I did have to reread a few sentences to understand what was happening, but, once I found out the authors writing pattern, the story flowed easily. One of the things I loved about this book is in the beginning of each chapter, the author has quotes that are within that particular chapter that sparks the imagination into thinking 'what is going to happen next?!'. I adored each quote which gave me insig ...more
Deborah Hayes
May 13, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Enticing story

It's a good read, not bursting with excitement though, just a steady flow of interesting plot. I will read book 2!
Connie Jasperson
Jan 16, 2015 rated it really liked it
As a grandmother, I often check out books that are suitable to buy for my older grandchildren, books that may not be labeled as young adult. Beautifully illustrated by Maxine Gadd, Kandide and the Secrets of the Mist, by Diana S. Zimmerman is an excellent choice if you or you older child/young adult loves fantasy romance and fairy tales.

What if everything you love is suddenly gone?

And everything you fear is all you have?

Welcome to Calabiyau. Still a teen in human years, Ka
Lillian Elliott

I read this book years ago and absolutely loved it, but I had forgotten almost all of what happens. I couldn't find anywhere that sold the second one for years so I was very upset. Then, this year, I found not only the second book, but the third one as well. I was super excited, and, of course, I had to reread Kandide: The Secret of the Mists. I had very high expectations for this book, having already read it, so at first I was slightly disappointed because I remembered it being one of the best

Allie Reese
Feb 05, 2018 rated it it was amazing
kandide's father is dying and has to transfer the gift to her. after he transfers the gift to her she decides to go to the forest with her sister. when a storm starts she gets hit by lightning and passes out. when the healers finally wake her up she realizes that her wing is broken and can't be fixed. when one of the guards pulls down her cape and shows her wing to her subjects they reject her and her mother has to banish her to a place where imperfects go. wal there she has to figure out how to ...more
Michele Lee
Kandide is the most beautiful and the most perfect of the Fee, and after her father dies the most important magical gift of all, the Gift of Frost which changes the seasons, renewing the world, passes to her. But in overconfidence and with an over inflated sense of importance (which both cover the doubts and insecurities mixing beneath the surface) she has an accident, a mistake that leaves her scarred and therefore cast out from the society that days earlier prepared to make her their queen.

May 06, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: kandide
Kandide and the Secrets of the Mists, written by Diana S. Zimmerman and published by Noesis Publishing, is a pure fantasy book. With a dash of adventure and mystery. Kandide is a young fairy from the land of the Calabiyau. When the day comes where she is to be crowned queen and her father passes on the “gift” to her at his death bed, something imperfect happens. This book reminds me of basically any book that has fairies in it or defeating evil. This was the first book of the chronicle. This boo ...more
Sep 29, 2008 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: middle grade/young adult fantasy lovers
Recommended to Tristi by: Diana Zimmerman
Kandide is the most beautiful of all the fairies, and she knows it. Raised by the king and queen to become the queen herself someday, her education has been largely focused on her strength, high opinion of herself, and ability to get the respect of those around her. While her father believes this has been the correct way to raise his daughter, her mother wonders whatever happened to compassion, courtesy, and humility, for Kandide has none of these traits.

When the king suddenly dies, remaining on
Miri Fern
Jul 08, 2014 rated it really liked it
Aug 17, 2012 rated it it was amazing
It is a fairy tale story about a girl named Kandide that is going to become Queen of Calabiyau. Kandide was always raised to be Queen. Before she became Queen Kandide's father had died. After her fathers death just in four days she became Queen. Kandide has a brother named Teren, a sister named Tara, a mother named Tyianna, and had a father named Toeyad. Way before King Toeyad died he gave his daughter, Kandide a gift that has a silver quill. When Kandide and her sister went out Kandide got hit ...more
Dec 14, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: anyone
What i liked about this book was that its about a kinda selfish girl who's a princess and becomes queen when her father(the king) becomes greatly ill and passes on his powers to her daughter. Suddenly the soon to be queen brakes on of her wings and runs away and her younger sister becomes a part time queen in a way with her mother and also the king dies. As the used to be queen runs way she arrives in a uncharted woods called "the mists" where all people with disabilities live their lives. the g ...more
Feb 22, 2015 rated it really liked it
Okay! This book was so fun and easy to read! I definitely recommend it for anybody who is new to fantasy!! This book has a great world and fun characters! It is written in a simple way that I feel can appeal to middle grade readers and newbies to fantasy. It's quick to read and I thoroughly enjoyed it, especially the little bios in the characters!

I definitely recommend this book for schools because of the topics in this book. To a student they may not pick up on the real world application of tr
Dec 17, 2011 rated it it was amazing
It was an awesome book. It showed how the character developed from being a spoiled brat to a leader. With her father dead she was the next in line to rule the country. But when her she and her sister went outside during a storm her wings were broken permanently and a misfit were not allowed. Her mother sent her to the forest where she met a group of misfits who were not allowed back in society. The group contained all types of misfits like a blind woman people to people with broken wings. The ma ...more
Carol Mckitrick
Apr 15, 2013 rated it it was amazing
It was a really good book, I would recommend it to anyone who is really into the fantasy genre. I cannot wait to read the other books in the Calabiyau Chronicles. I prefer Selena as my favorite because she seemed to be the wisest and she was inscrutable. I did not happen to like Kandide until the ending when she was less self absorb and cared for all life, like the griffins.
Sha'Dasia Bordley
Nov 10, 2016 rated it really liked it
I definitely judged a book by its cover, but I honestly really enjoyed this book more than I thought I would. The characters were great, it was a compelling story about a perfect world that really wasn't so perfect. I would recommend this book to people who enjoy fantasy (elves, gnomes, warlocks ...etc) This usually isn't my kind of book but it was a good story nonetheless.
Aug 16, 2014 rated it liked it
This is more like 3.5. I felt that this book was really slow picking up. The ending confused me a bit as I felt that this would've been better as a standalone and didn't need a cliffhanger leading to another book. I felt the characters really took time to develop and even then, it was pretty minimal and no really surprising character developments happened.
Rowen H.
Apr 04, 2012 rated it it was ok
This was a good novel with an interesting plot. I enjoyed reading it, but I can't say it was one of the best. The writing was sort of basic, and some of the phrases or senteces were awkward and just didn't flow at all. I might be picking up the sequel, but I won't go out of my way to find it.
May 08, 2012 rated it it was amazing
A wonderful and delightful read. It captivates you from the beginning and keeps you going to the end. Lots of colorful characters and interesting developments. Recommend for both children and adults. A creative way to learning some life lessons.
Nikka Blanco
Apr 21, 2016 rated it it was amazing
This is one of my favorite reads. I never intend to read this one, but once I started it, I just can't stop! I feel like I belong in the story, like I am just who the characters are. Zimmerman show us the real beauty we all have within us.
Oct 27, 2010 marked it as to-read
Harley really wants to buy this book after reading the abstract in a Scholastic flyer. I am not so sure she's ready to delve into this. So, I'll be reading it first to see if it's appropriate for her.
Steven Maus
Oct 02, 2008 rated it liked it
Recommends it for: Fantasy/fairy lovers
An excellent story filled with deception and conspiracy where the main character is forced to question if her closest friends and family are really on her side. The nervous and fearful attitude of the tale is held back though by slow pacing.
May 23, 2012 rated it really liked it
Good book, well written. I enjoyed it very much and have reread it a few times. The girl starts out soooo very spoiled, but turns out good.
  • Blood Lust (Rapid City Wolves, #1)
  • Curves & Courage (Future Alphas, #2)
  • Guardian (The Fallen Chronicles #1)
  • Winter's Orphans (Shadow Fae, #1)
  • The Golden Flute (Adventures of Lilli and Zane, #1)
  • Bearwalker
  • Covenant's End (Widdershins Adventures, #4)
  • How Do You Spell GEEK?
  • Risen
  • Storm Chaser
  • Ruby's Slippers
  • Two Suns in the Sky
  • Blue Aspen
  • Spy Cat
  • Scorching Secrets (Prophesized #2)
  • An Alpha's Need
  • Rise of the Darklings (The Invisible Order, #1)
  • Insider (Outsider, #2)

Vanishing avocados, Mega-million dollar conferences, haute couture jewels, and mysterious beings are all part of Diana S. Zimmerman’s remarkable life. Like her novels, Diana’s role in the performing arts as well as the business world transcends the ordinary. She has been a performer, entrepreneur, and businesswoman since the age of eight when she invested all of her resources into a small magic t
More about Diana S. Zimmerman...

The Calabiyau Chronicles (3 books)
  • Kandide: The Lady's Revenge (The Calabiyau Chronicles, #2)
  • Kandide: The Flame is Fleeting (The Calabiyau Chronicles, #3)

Fantasy & Science Fiction Deals

• The Silent Shield (Kingfountain #5)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Terms of Enlistment (Frontlines #1)
    $3.99 $2
  • The Immortal Circus (Cirque des Immortels, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Boundary Crossed (Boundary Magic, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Lines of Departure (Frontlines, #2)
    $3.99 $2
  • Gateway to Fourline (The Fourline Trilogy, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • The Scourge of Muirwood (Legends of Muirwood, #3)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Nightstalkers (Area 51: The Nightstalkers, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • The Book of Truths (Area 51: The Nightstalkers, #2)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Dead Spots (Scarlett Bernard #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • The Rift (Area 51: Nightstalkers, #3)
    $4.49 $1.99
  • The Blight of Muirwood (Legends of Muirwood, #2)
    $3.99 $2
  • The Forsaken Throne (Kingfountain #6)
  • Caraval (Caraval, #1)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Rebel Genius
    $6.38 $2.99
  • Time Patrol (Area 51: The Nightstalkers, #4)
    $4.49 $1.99
  • The Secret Hour (Midnighters, #1)
    $2.99 $0.99
  • The King's Traitor (Kingfountain, #3)
  • Fear the Drowning Deep
    $16.99 $1.99
  • Insignia (Insignia, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • The Hollow Crown (Kingfountain #4)
  • Moving Mars
    $6.99 $1.99
  • The Lion Hunter (The Lion Hunters, #4)
    $9.99 $1.99
  • The Forge of God (Forge of God, #1)
    $11.99 $1.99
  • Blood Rose Rebellion
    $9.99 $1.99
  • The Winter Prince (The Lion Hunters Novels)
  • Ocean of Storms
    $3.99 $1.99
  • The Space Between Heartbeats (Betwixt #1)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • The Glass Magician (The Paper Magician Trilogy, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Final Trade (The Dominion Trilogy, #2)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Flamecaster (Shattered Realms, #1)
    $4.09 $1.99
  • Wool: The Graphic Novel
    $3.99 $1.99
  • The Wretched of Muirwood (Legends of Muirwood, #1)
  • Timequake