Start by marking “Crying Over Spilt Light” as Want to Read:
Crying Over Spilt Light

Read Excerpt

Crying Over Spilt Light

(Hire A Muse #1)

What If You Could Hire Your Own Personal Muse?

On the verge of abandoning his life-long project, an obsessive physicist hires the innovative service of an android Muse to help him finish his work. But when things start to go missing from his life, he must learn that not all is worth sacrificing on the altar of science before he has nothing left to live for.

Do you want to k
Published 2014 by Mythography Studios

To ask other readers questions about Crying Over Spilt Light, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Crying Over Spilt Light

Caron
I received this book from the author in exchange for an honest review.

Again with all the information given in the synopsis and none in the actual story. *Cue dramatic eye roll*

Crying Over Spilt Light is a book that's kind of difficult to explain simply because even though I've read it, and I understood most of what was going on, I feel like this book needs to be read in order to grasp the full effect. It's easy to say that it's about a man who's stuck in the labyrinth of his mind and his goal i
Aimee McNeil
Jun 23, 2015 rated it it was amazing
This book was definitely a pleasant surprise. This is actually the first Sci-Fi thriller that I have read. At first I was a bit confused because the chapters jump around. I found myself backtracking, thinking that I must have skipped something but as I read onward the pieces started to fall into place. I found the author's approach worked very well in delivering this particular story and the fact that it was kept short and direct complimented the content perfectly. I found that this book had a c ...more
Clinton Sites
Oct 11, 2016 rated it it was ok
Interesting but not my personal cup of coffee

The concept behind this story is uniquely Greek, and the author has executed it very well!

The author has developed the main and secondary characters very well given that this is a novella.
My personal issue is the continued use of flashbacks to explain the characters motivation for their actions yet not really resolving the whys. The continued use of that technique broke the continuity of the storyline for me.

Given the restricted depth a novella gives
Yuki
Was given this book in exchange for honest review.

Hmm, what could I say? This book was excellent. The writing style is decent, and the characters ' development is also very good. I love how the author refers to Greek Mythology and other scientific theories in his / her writing. One of my favourites books that I've read in this year.
Samie Sands
Jun 28, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I really enjoyed the complex writing style of this author - Crying Over Spilt Light combines mythology with intriguing characters. The plot is fast paced, dark, exciting and gripping. Once I started reading this book, I couldn't put it down. Highly recommended!
Nancy Jones
Jun 24, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Gifted copy for honest review.

I really enjoyed reading Crying Over Spilt Light. The story and characters were great. I enjoy reading about Greek mythology and liked the mix with sci-fi. I recommend this book.
Bonnie Dale Keck
kindle unlimited but got both over time from freebie days

Hire A Muse, Get A Nobel Prize

Do you want to know what's next for poor-but-brilliant Yanni? Do you wanna meet the Muse? Then read t
Colin Rowlands
While this was a fairly interesting listen, the world felt a bit too sparse and it would probably have worked better if it had been part of a collection of short stories set in the same world that would have allowed the author more time to build it up.

The story mainly focused on Yanni, a theoretical physicist struggling to make a crucial breakthrough, while being haunted by an Einstein quote "A person who has not made his great contribution to science before the age of thirty will never do so" a
Norma
Jan 22, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2018, audio, reviewed, s-f
( Format : Audiobook )
"Chasing the end of the Rainbow."
Crying Over Spilt Light is a curious, well written and narrated book, sparse whilst still being replete with detail, rather beautiful, as when the author describes the dust mites in the air. It is a book of contrasts.
So, too, is the narration by Denise Kahn. Her very pleasant, soothing voice s well paced and modulated and her voicings of the protagonists distinctive, sympathetic and true to life. At the same time, she manages to induce a fee
S.B.
Sep 16, 2018 added it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to S.B. by: Author
I have mixed feelings about this story and am left with no idea how to rate it. So for now, I’m leaving that part blank.

Interesting concept, and mostly, I liked how it was executed. I recently watched Ex Machina and can see many similarities with that film.
I did enjoy Saoulidis’ writing style, all the science, different locale (Greece), the various character interactions and much more.
My problem with this, and I think it may be quite personal- (I didn’t check the length 1st & perhaps I was e
odedo1
Don’t get me wrong, the author George Saoulidis got a great story here but I had to listen to it three times to understand it and what is going on.
I believe that there are two problems with this book, the first is easy: awful narration, the second I’m having a hard time putting my finger on it but I know it’s there because after listening to it three times and finally getting the complete picture it was brilliant a truly masterpiece which I believe needs to be redone because people deserve to h
Bikram
May 22, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: audiobookboom
I had requested and received audiobook version of this book for free from the publisher, in exchange for an unbiased review.

When the synopsis of this book claims to tell a unique story, it means it. It floats a completely unique concept and weaves a great story around it. I was left with my mouth open from the very start. Its a short story, running only for ~ 2 hours and I wish it was longer.

The narration by Denise Kahn does complete justice to the content. The delivery perfectly complements th
Liza
May 20, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Does having a Muse make it easier to have the physics breakthrough that you have been working towards your whole life? Is a Nobel Prize worth changing your whole life?

I was left confused within the story. A scene would happen and then it was yesterday but then it was after the other scene.
It seems petty, but the numbering of the chapters/sections annoyed me - Chapter i, i^2, i^3, i^4, 2i... It's a short book - it's got a numbered separator every two pages or so. Why not just have dashes or aster
Shanna Tidwell
Feb 11, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was an cool & interesting story. The ending wasn’t expected but also not unexpected either. I did wonder how our main protagonists could just go on not talking to his wife & children for so long and not push the matter. I look forward to other books from this world as well.
Narration was excellent.

I was voluntarily provided this review copy at no charge by the author, publisher and or narrator.
Clinton Robert Oberholster
Jan 30, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Incredible! Mind twisted, knotted, crumpled, stomped on then blown.

The mind numbing insanity leaking from the pages wouldn't allow me to close the book until it was done, then had me craving more.
An intricately woven web of horror and desire expressed perfectly in a sensual outflow of emotion.
A definite must read.
Nicky
Mar 12, 2018 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
It's not awful.The story is actually pretty good and it has a lot of potential but the characters are just indifferent (at least to me)
Warren Ward
Mar 27, 2018 rated it liked it
Slow, but interesting.

I had no idea where this was going, but I stuck with it.

Nice try, dude. But I shouldn’t have started it. Sorry...
George Saoulidis
Dec 08, 2014 added it  ·  (Review from the author)
This is a wish fulfillment story similar to writer's block. I bet a lot of writers will empathize with Yanni where he just wants to get work done, and there are distractions, buzzsaws, neighbors and drooling kids. I somehow came up with a story about a Muse that removes all distractions. The story is inspired (ha!) by a short story named "Source of inspiration" by Michalis Manolios, who is an often awarded Greek science-fiction author. Collection in Greek: ... και το τέρας by Μιχάλης Μανωλιός
Carolyn Injoy
I received a free kindle copy of Crying Over Spilt Light by George Saoulidis from StoryCartel in exchange for a fair review.

I gave this surprising book about a frustrated physicist seeking to obtain a Nobel prize for his work four stars. He obtains an android muse who is geared to remove all distractions. And she certainly does that in an most surprising fashion.

For me, one drawback was the use of possibly Greek words with no translation or glossary. The other was mentioning a name for a charac
Andrea Stoeckel
The premise is classic sci-fi. Man dreams up theory. Question is if he can prove it and still be present with his family.

When is a cyborg helpful? Can cyborgs even be helpful or are they more a dream?

Still not sure I even liked this. I certainly suggest Saoulidis find another narrator as this one put me to sleep.
Deanna Stanley
Sep 14, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Creepy. It induced some seriously troubled sleep, much like Ex Machina did.
Kimberly Read
rated it it was ok
Jul 29, 2018
Wayland Quon
Aug 12, 2016
Writer/Director. I enjoy taking ancient Greek myths and turning them into modern sci-fi spooky versions. I also like to write romantic comedies, and people seem to go "Awww!" over them, so why not? My photo has been redrawn by a neural network.

Join the Mythographers and get 3 books for free right now.

Hire A Muse (2 books)