Start by marking “Seed” as Want to Read:
Seed

Seed

Seed loves you. Seed will never let you go.

Fifteen-year-old Pearl has lived her whole life protected within the small community at Seed, where they worship Nature and idolise their leader, Papa S. When some outsiders arrive, everything changes. Pearl experiences feelings that she never knew existed and begins to realise that there is darkness at the heart of Seed. A darkne
Published April 16th 2015 by Electric Monkey (first published March 10th 2015)

To ask other readers questions about Seed, please sign up.
Jasminka Tanner Yeah, I'm 15 and I read this book. It doesn't have anything too graphic but there is a scene where a character almost gets raped

Shelby *trains flying monkeys*
Before reading this book get you a swear jar.

I said so many cuss words that I could fund a vacation of my dreams.

The book is told from the point of view from 15 year old Pearl. When we meet the child..YES CHILD!!! She has gotten her period and thinks she is dying. She thinks she is bleeding internally. So what happens? The put her in an underground hole. She has to somehow frigging become a woman by spending the night there.

Then when she comes out she realizes now AT 15 FRIGGING YEARS OLD tha
Kelly (and the Book Boar)
Find all of my reviews at: http://52bookminimum.blogspot.com/

“Nature made us. Nature knows us. Every movement, every thought, Nature sees.”

Hmmmm, let’s see how many people I can offend this week, shall we????

So, if this . . .

and this . . .

and this . . .

Commercial Photography

all had one wonderfully f*&^%d up baby, it might come out looking a little something like Seed.

Seed is the story of Pearl Duggar - I mean, just Pearl. She lives in a utopia– a tiny community called Seed which provides everything she c
(Source: I received a digital copy of this book for free on a read-to-review basis. Thanks to Perseus Books Group, Running Press and NetGalley.)

“Here, crouched beside the toilet, I’m terrified I’m dying. My stomach must be bleeding, or my liver, or my kidneys. Something inside me has somehow got cut. Spots of blood smear my underwear. I wipe myself with toilet paper and there’s more blood. Am I being punished for something I have said or done?”

This was a YA story about a girl living in a cult,
Cora Tea Party Princess
5 Words: cult, love, nature, family, escape.

I loved this book and could not put it down. It was challenging and different and I loved the perspective from which it was told.

It did make for some uncomfortable reading, but that's what was so good about it. It was pretty astonishing.

I wasn't sure of the setting... Where was Seed? In the UK? In the US? I was a little confused but I think I've settled on the UK as the country.

I loved Pearl and how slowly realisations dawned on her, how reluctant she
Kate
Disclaimer: I received a copy of this book through Netgalley in exchange for an honest review.

Seed is an isolated community where 15 year old Pearl has lived her whole life. She knows nothing but the large family around her, working the fields for produce and accepting without question the judgement and wisdom of Papa S, the leader of the group.
When new members are accepted into the community Pearl is forced to start viewing Seed in a much different light, one that starts to see it not as a utop
Kalla [A Bookish Nerd]
2.5/5 stars.

This book was hard to read. It wasn't due to the plot, characters, or the writing. It was the content of this book that made me squirm while reading. This book is about a girl named Pearl who has grown up in Seed, her own community. In other terms, Seed is a cult. While I knew this going into the book, it still didn't make it any less hard on me. I felt terrible that these people had been used this way. It was such a sad and horrible thing that I felt and there was nothing I could d
Gray Cox
Jan 24, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: good, suspense
This was a quick suspenseful read.

As for content:
I remember one bad word, and the main character is almost raped. It also deals with a cultish situation, so that is rightfully creepy.

Overall, I enjoyed this book and it hooked me from start to finish.
Katherine
”’Nature, we thank you for leading Papa S. to Seed. He saved us. He protects us. In return, we give you everything… Because we need nothing more. We have Kindreds to guide us, we have food, we have love. We listen to you, Mother Nature, only you.’”

Welcome to life in the Seed; a seemingly idyllic community that worships Nature. This is all fifteen-year-old Pearl has ever known. Everything she wants, Papa S. and Nature will provide. All the good and bad things in life are due to Nature and Her b
Sophie
May 01, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Also reviewed on Sophie Reads YA

I received an Advance Reader Copy from the publisher via NetGalley. This is no way impacted in my view.

Wow, wow, wow! This book was utterly incredible! Unlike anything I've ever read before, and I'm so glad there is going to be a sequel.

Seed tells the story of Pearl, a fifteen year old teenager, who has lived in Seed her entire life. She has no knowledge of the outside world, except for some scary impressions that the 'Outsiders' are all corrupt, evil, and poison.
Kristie
Mar 14, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Kristie by: Shelby *trains flying monkeys*
Shelves: 2015, fiction
So...I finally finished this book. Holy moly. Thank you to my friend Shelby for introducing me to this book. You can read her review here.

This is a story about a young girl, Pearl, just becoming a woman and living on a commune, Right away you can see the potential problem. Pearl has grown up on the commune and loves it there. She and her "family" worship nature and follow their leader, Papa S, without question. Then, a teenaged boy, Ellis, comes with his mother and little sister to live with th
Bee (Heart Full of Books)
Well, I'm not getting any sleep tonight! This book was so unsettling yet strangely addictive.
Michelle Toy
This review was originally posted on www.talesofyesterday.co.uk

It's taken me a little longer than normal to write this review! The reason? I fell in love with this book from the minute I started reading it right through to the heart stopping end! This meant that my review may have just contained the words READ THIS BOOK NOW or I LOVE THIS BOOK SO MUCH (which is what I have been telling everyone on twitter) rather than a review so I have taken some time to compose some hopefully thoughtful constr
Miriam
3 Sterne!

Auf dieses Buch hatte ich mich sehr gefreut, da ich erst wenig aus dem Sekten-Bereich gelesen habe und mir daher eine spannende, kurzweilige Geschichte ausgemalt hatte.
Leider konnte mich das Buch aber doch nicht so fesseln, wie ich dachte.

Saat und die dort lebende Gemeinschaft haben mich gleichermaßen fasziniert und verstört, doch diese abstruse Mischung macht definitiv den Reiz des Buches aus. Es zeigt in hohem Maße, welche Macht unser Weltbild und unser Wissen über uns haben und wie
Kate (infinitelynovel)
Overall rating: 4.5/5 stars.

My closest friend really sang this book's praises when she read it last year, and having now finished it myself I'm not entirely sure why I didn't pick it up sooner. Seed is an absolutely stunning debut by Lisa Heathfield: I started it early one morning, and finished it later that day. I've never read anything like this before—I know it's a bit cliche to say that, but it's true!

The book follows Pearl, a fifteen-year old girl who has grown up in the midst of a nature-l
Mikayla
Feb 24, 2016 rated it really liked it
I don't really have much to say about this one. I enjoyed the book, but think the writing could have been a little better and some characters needed a little more work.

The plot was great, and I found the cult to be an interesting thing to read about. It was very entertaining, yet weird and creepy.

The author did a pretty good job of this one, I look forward to the next book very much.
Maddie
Jan 05, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: library-books, ukya
I wasn't expecting to enjoy SEED as much as I did, but in the end, I really liked it! Kind of creepy, mysterious and sets you on edge. Well paced, with the information reveals coming at just the right moment...I'm desperate to know what happens next!
Abbie | ab_reads
Aug 08, 2017 rated it really liked it
3.5-4 stars

A compelling account of the brainwashing and blind faith that goes with cults! But since it was YA the writing felt a bit too simplistic at times, plus there was a little 'insta-love' (which I suppose can be forgiven somewhat because given the sheltered life they lead, they'd probably be prone to over-exaggerated feelings for the first other person they see).

I'd recommend for a quick read that hides some sinister secrets!
RitaSkeeter
May 01, 2015 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2015, ya
I’ve read a few fictional YA books about cults. I think my fascination with them started when I was a youngster and read Robin Klein’s People Might Hear You. I haven’t read a book set in a cult since that I’ve loved as much as I love that one. I’m a bit scared to go back and read it as a ‘grown up’, even though I still have my copy, in case I find I’ve outgrown it.

Those books I’ve read set in cults all have one thing in common; the protagonist fights against the cult and this is where the tensio
Tez
Aug 08, 2018 rated it really liked it
You may not want to read this while you're pregnant.

Also, this involves a cult, so there's physical abuse, psychological abuse, sexual abuse (including that of minors), implied rape/coerced sex.

And DELIBERATELY USING A MACHINE TO CUT OFF SOMEONE'S HAND.

And medical neglect by not taking people to hospitals/doctors when they clearly need professional help.

Still a great page-turner that I read fairly quickly. Though I was mentally shouting at the characters the entire time ;-)
Hollie (Hollieblog)
Jun 09, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Fun fact; I love learning about strange things. I love learning full stop, but when it comes to things that you just can't believe happen? Well, I live for that.

Cults are fucked up. They're something I can't get my head around because it's something so out of my reality. Cults do not often get reported in the news, they're rarely the subject of television shows and movies and books. They're also not that common.

But they do exist. And that is why they should be talked about.

This is the first YA
Alexandra
Oct 03, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
i'm rating this four stars more for the reading experience than for the ending, let me just be perfectly clear.

this book takes place on a compound called Seed, which is pretty much a cult run by a man everyone calls "Papa S." many of the children living there, were born there and Seed is all they've ever known.
but after a certain series of events, some people in Seed start to question what's really going on.

and let me tell you, it's pretty dark. for a YA book, it actually disturbed me quite a
Abbie
May 02, 2015 rated it liked it
Shelves: read-to-review
(I received a copy from Netgalley, In exchange for an honest review.)

I felt sorry for Pearl in this quite a few times. The poor girl must have been so confused at times, and some of the things she had to do weren't very nice.

I found the pacing in this to be quite slow, and the story bored me in places because of it. The second half picked up a bit thankfully, so it wasn't quite so slow as the first half, but I still didn't love the story.

Overall, An okay read, but took a while to get going.
Nicole Hewitt
This review and many more can be found on my blog: Feed Your Fiction Addiction

Seed is a compelling story of strength in horrible circumstances.

I’ve always been fascinated with the idea of cults, I have to admit. It amazes me the things that people are willing to believe when a charismatic leader tells them it’s so. And it’s also incredibly interesting what types of things we will accept simply because we are raised in a society where those things are accepted.

In this book, the main character, Pe
Virginie (chouettblog)
Oct 25, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: my-reads-2015
Ignorance is bliss…

And in Pearl’s case bliss is all she has ever known or at least a manufactured version of it.

Being Pearl, is like being a prisoner of the mind, except that this mind is not her own. It has been shaped into everything she is not and although it might not be ready to break out of its gilded cage, Pearl might just not have the choice.

I actually really liked this book and at the same time, it was a real unnerving read. It had, all the ingredients of what we outsiders understand to
Maria
Feb 26, 2015 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2015
Surprisingly good little NetGalley YA find.

Pearl has lived her whole life in small 'utopia' (read: cult) known only as Seed. She has been taught that everything in Seed is perfect and protected by Mother Nature, who speaks to them through their leader, Papa S. Everything on the Outside is dangerous, dark and evil. So, yeah, pretty much your run-of-the-mill cult situation. Pearl is perfectly happy at Seed, until a family of outsiders arrives at the commune and forces Pearl to question everything
Jessica (Jess Hearts Books)
May 22, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: bought-books
This was like reading a brutal dystopian world only it was set in our world which made it more terrifying. Can't get over that ending!
Kelly
I recently picked up Seed after having had it on my shelf for quite a long time and this book has very quickly become one of my favourite books. Lisa Heathfield has an incredible writing style that really pulls you in and she writes such layered, realistic characters that are easy to connect with. Seed is a really special book that will sweep you away.

Seed is the story of Pearl and her family who are growing up in a place known as Seed. Little does Pearl recognise just how dangerous her surround
Amber
While I love the concept of this, but the beginning and the end didn't feel like an actual beginning and end.
Ana
Dec 18, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The theme of Seed is one I consider particularly scary because it is so real. This actually happens in real life; I have watched reports on cults and am completely baffled at how they strip people from their personality and how the children born into them never knew and probably do not even want to know that there is another reality.

Seed portrays that reality so very well. It's quite breath-taking reading about a girl who is discovering for the first time everything we take for granted. How she
Sana
Blog| Facebook| https://www.instagram.com/gewispertew...

,,Woher wollt ihr wissen, was ihr braucht, wenn ihr noch nie etwas anderes gesehen habt?'' - Ellis (S. 69)

Pearl könnte glücklicher nicht sein. Gemeinsam mit ihrer Familie lebt sie in Saat, mitten in der Natur und fernab der verdorbenen Zivilisation, die sie nur betritt, um ihre Ernte zu verkaufen. Doch es kommen neue Leute nach Saat, eine Mutter mit einer Tochter und einem Sohn, die viele Fragen in ihr wachrufen. Vor allem der Junge Ellis
  • A Change Is Gonna Come
  • Countless
  • Dust to Dust (Ashes #2)
  • Indigo Donut
  • Pastworld
  • I'll Be Home for Christmas
  • Temptation (Secret Diaries, #1)
  • Nothing But Blue
  • Remix
  • Air (Blue #2)
  • The Territory (The Territory, #1)
  • Keep the Faith (Faith, #2)
  • Deep Water
  • My Box-Shaped Heart
  • The Baby
  • Breath (Riders of the Apocalypse, #4)
  • Seven Days
  • Birdy
Before becoming a mum to her three sons, Lisa Heathfield was a secondary school English teacher and loved inspiring teenagers to read.

Award-winning author Lisa Heathfield launched her career with SEED in 2015. Published by Egmont it is a stunning YA debut about a life in cult. PAPER BUTTERFLIES is her beautiful and heart-breaking second novel. FLIGHT OF A STARLING is another heart-breaking read wi