Start by marking “Crossing Midnight, Vol. 2: A Map of Midnight” as Want to Read:
Crossing Midnight, Vol. 2: A Map of Midnight

Crossing Midnight, Vol. 2: A Map of Midnight (Crossing Midnight #2)

3.9  ·  Rating details ·  309 Ratings  ·  27 Reviews
A fantasy/horror series set in the heart of present-day Nagakaki, Japan where a set of extraordinary twins are born -- one just before midnight and the other just after. They discover the huge impact this minor difference has on their destinies when the after-midnight twin, Toshi, is inducted into a world of supernatural beings and events that intersects with our own world ...more
Published February 13th 2008 by Vertigo

To ask other readers questions about Crossing Midnight, Vol. 2, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Crossing Midnight, Vol. 2

Kathryn
Apr 27, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Wow. I am smugly proud of myself for caving and buying Volume 2 of this series. I said it about Volume 1, that Carey is simply a slow starter and I was correct. A Map of Midnight blew away Cut Here. Anything I disliked in the first was removed and anything I loved or thought held promise, was included and emphasized. The characters read so alive and relatable. I was rooting for the good guys and feeling sickened by the bad guys, which makes great horror. The fantasy aspects of the story were unl ...more
Michelle
Mar 21, 2017 rated it really liked it
This was a good continuation to the series, it introduced new characters and situations and there were lots of twists and surprises. It is a little violent but it is a horror comic so that is to be expected. The twins are "growing" up but the fates are against them as forces conspire to have them fight against each other and there are hints that they both have powerful supernatural powers and will be fighting in the last book. I really enjoyed this book and recommend it and am looking forward to ...more
Derek
Aug 10, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Review pending...
David
May 20, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Waaaaauuuuuuggh!!!

That's what I shouted when I came to the end of "Crossing Midnight: Cut Here". Because it was only volume ONE of a story-arc that cuts (no pun intended) through several graphic novels- "A Map Of Midnight" was no exception, either! Spectacular!!

I had to read them all.

Yes, HAD TO.

This story was REALLY well written, amazingly illustrated, and it carried me forward through the storyline with surprising ease. I was instantly invested with the Hara family and the twins problems and p
Jen
Nov 16, 2008 rated it it was amazing
This is the 2nd book in the Crossing Midnight series, and we pick up the story of Toshi and Kai. Toshi has by now had all of her past memories removed by Aratsu, and she is in training to be his scrape grace, stealing images from people's dreams while they sleep. She also has a new name, Hasharito, and doesn't remember her old name. Kai leaves home to try and find her. He knows she disappeared with Aratsu into another world, so he begins by seeking information on the spirit world, and then he se ...more
Cale
Apr 23, 2015 rated it liked it
Volume 2 continues the story, shifting what little focus had been on the parents entirely over to Kai and Toshi. Toshi becomes the antagonist as she serves as a scrape-grace and assassin for Aratsu, while Kai tries to find her, finding himself involved in the date-girl scene. Some of the concepts are more disturbing than the Kami themselves, but the story approaches them with a fairly balanced view. Threads get pulled together, but the overall weave doesn't appear in this volume. Art is strong, ...more
Elizabeth A
Jun 22, 2015 rated it liked it
Shelves: graphix, 2015
This volume collects issues #6-12.

Twins Toshi and Kai continue down their separate paths, each with a different objective. Toshi starts training to serve her new master, and Kai gets enmeshed with the enjokosai - middle to high school age girls who go on dates for money. It's legal in Japan, but a supernatural slasher is voicing disapproval in the bloodiest ways imaginable.

This is an interesting story with Japanese cultural aspects that I find fascinating, and I look forward to finishing the tri
Lara
Jun 14, 2011 rated it liked it
Shelves: read-in-2011
Hmmmm...I dunno. This one seemed a lot more...scattered than the first volume did. Kai and Toshi both have a variety of encounters with yokai, but there doesn't seem to be much that really advances the story until the very end. Still an enjoyable read though.
Ben
Jul 09, 2010 rated it really liked it
Arguably even darker and more suspenseful than the first volume, but with a few more splashes of black humour. I'm now eagerly awaiting the final volume at the end of the year to see how it all ties together.
Stephanie
Nov 06, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fantasy
One of the subplots in this story is the loss of innocence - specifically, enjokosai; middle- to high-school-age girls who go on dates for money in Japan. I really like the incorporation of supernatural crossing with the real world. Can't wait to read the third one.
Stacey
Feb 20, 2008 rated it really liked it
I liked this one better than the first volume. The world was more concrete, more merged than in Cut Here as there was less exposition to cover. Ultimately, it was kind of predictable in where Toshi ends up but I was intrigued by where Kai seems to be going.
Trisha
Jul 16, 2015 rated it really liked it
Family has been torn apart. Brother searches for his sister. He finds date girls with their own set of problems instead. Sister is bound under work with no memory of her past. Both become powerful in unexpected situations.
Annji
Sep 01, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: graphic-novel
Yelped for joy when I found volume 2 of this series at a different library. I was surprised to read on Wikipedia that this book didn't sell well in floppy format. Only 19 issues in total so there's only 1 more TPB. Please, oh, please let my library have it on their shelves!
Apr 20, 2015 rated it really liked it
Continues to develop the world established in the first TPB well. I disagree with e library shelving it under YA because there is some graphic sex talk in here. (Page 65, I'm looking at you.)
Krystl Louwagie
Dec 20, 2012 rated it liked it
A high 3, good intelligent plot and writing. Still like the whimsical fairy tale elements, for sure. Interesting read.
robomatey
Mar 06, 2008 rated it really liked it
Shelves: sweetcomix
The story develops nicely in this installment: Kai and Toshi both have to fulfill their separate stories and the art seems to get a bit better. Not as much of a cliffhanger at the end of this one.
Marc
Apr 26, 2010 rated it liked it
To hear my review go to V for Vertigo at http://vforvertigo.blogspot.com and listen to episode 61 or on iTunes.
Stacie
Jan 12, 2016 rated it liked it
The story sure got weirder, enough said.
Lauri
May 01, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Ülihea.
Deborah
Feb 04, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Love it! Can't wait to find out what happens next!
Kit
Jan 30, 2016 rated it really liked it
Gotta admit, I'm not sure what track this is going on, but I love it. Gotta find the other trade and gotta stop feeling nostalgic.
Shannon Appelcline
Jun 25, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: comics, comics-indy
A great continuation of the story, with intriguing looks at both Japanese mysticism and (depraved) Tokyo culture.
Vi Khong
Jan 11, 2014 rated it liked it
Pretty good but kind of hard to follow - many sub-plots.
Erica Crockett
Aug 20, 2008 rated it really liked it
I like the idea of spirits in everything. Very animist
Darrell
Dec 24, 2008 rated it liked it
Shelves: tradepaperbacks
the art shifts between stories
Chris
Nov 22, 2008 rated it really liked it
Shelves: comic-books
Volume two kept my interest and more -- I think I'll be adding this to my subscription at midtown and start collecting . . .
Jason
  • Proof, Volume 1: Goatsucker
  • House of Mystery, Volume 6: Safe as Houses
  • Promethea, Vol. 2
  • Cairo
  • FreakAngels, Volume 2 (FreakAngels, #2)
  • Honour Among Punks: The Complete Baker Street Collection
  • Bizarro World
  • The Rabbi's Cat 2 (Pantheon Graphic Novels)
  • Sinfest, Vol. 1
  • Superman: Escape from Bizarro World
  • Jack of Fables, Vol. 3: The Bad Prince (Jack of Fables, #3)
  • Wormwood, Gentleman Corpse, Vol. 2: It Only Hurts When I Pee
  • The Adventures of Barry Ween, Boy Genius 2.0
  • The Exterminators, Vol. 1: Bug Brothers
  • Clan Apis
  • Ultimate Comics Thor
  • Strangers in Paradise, Volume 3: It's A Good Life
Mike Carey was born in Liverpool in 1959. He worked as a teacher for fifteen years, before starting to write comics. When he started to receive regular commissions from DC Comics, he gave up the day job.

Since then, he has worked for both DC and Marvel Comics, writing storyli
More about Mike Carey...

Crossing Midnight (3 books)
  • Crossing Midnight, Vol. 1: Cut Here