Start by marking “When You Bleed to Death” as Want to Read:
When You Bleed to Death

When You Bleed to Death

In the wake of his girlfriend's suicide, Brody - a bright but naive high school senior - descends into a world of drugs, sex, and violence. Equally visceral, disturbing, and heartbreaking, When You Bleed to Death is an honest, unflinching look at the life of someone with Borderline Personality Disorder.
Paperback, 2, 246 pages
Published October 21st 2014 by Hypertrophic Press

To ask other readers questions about When You Bleed to Death, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about When You Bleed to Death

Start your review of When You Bleed to Death
Jasmine
Oct 13, 2015 rated it really liked it
Holy crap. Such a blatantly honest book, it had me in tears.
Ann Andrews
Jan 18, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I'm not even sure how to describe this book.

Having gone through my own difficult time in life, I really related to what Brody was going through. Sometimes you don't feel as though you're in control of your own words or actions when you're grieving.

I am in awe of this book. It's beautiful in its own vivid and gruesome way. I highly recommend this book for everyone. Is it difficult to read? Yes. But that's because it's so real and exposes what so many people have gone through. Brilliant work. I
Lynsey
Jan 06, 2015 rated it it was amazing
This book broke my heart when I first read it. I love books that can make me cry, and this one did just that. It's very rare for an author to create a character the reader can so easily hate and sympathize with at the same time; Bronaugh is very skilled at his craft.

It was beautifully written and (in my opinion) accurately portrays grief and the main character's personality disorder. Highly recommended.
Becki
Jan 13, 2015 rated it did not like it
Shelves: arcs
I received this book in exchange for an honest review.

There is a shortage of blatantly honest books on the market, especially for teens. There are a few reasons for this: there aren’t enough authors brave enough to write them, agents and publishing houses aren’t willing to take the risk to publish them, and readers don’t want the truth. Most readers are looking for an escape from the reality, somewhere they can run and hide and find a bit of relief. I’ll admit to being one of those readers a maj
Monique
Jan 07, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I think the perfect and extremely suiting description for how I felt reading this book was addicted. I could not put it down, the book doesn't want you to put it down. Between the soft matte cover, the pages of Brody's story intrigued my mind, pulled on my heart, and left my eyes wanting more. Fantastically written, I commend Jeremy Bronaugh for making me laugh between moments of pure human heartache and chaos.
Eric Hamilton
Apr 06, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book is not for the faint-hearted, but it was an excellent read. I was mesmerized, and pulled into the book. It was really hard to put down, giving me that "just one more chapter" feeling all the time. It was brutal at times (and earns its trigger-warning on the cover), but more than being brutal, it is honest with a troubled teenager's efforts to cope (or not cope) with tragedy. The book does not flinch from its subject of self-harm, drug use, or suicide, but neither does it glorify in it, ...more
Naomi
Apr 19, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I've been waiting to read this book for a few months and finally found the time to do so. When I finally got it I couldn't put the book down that being said it took me a few hours to finish it. I was so captivated by Brody's story and how he chose to deal with situations he was put in. This book is very vivid with a few topics that I had to put the book down for a few minutes to regain composure but I think that's what I liked about the book the best, is that it made me really feel and react to ...more
Robert
Jan 25, 2017 rated it it was amazing
A gorgeous book. Dark (yes), hard at times (yes), but unflinchingly honest and raw. It is gruesome, as some have pointed out, but it's a necessary type of gruesome, real life, and we need that to draw us in. The talent on these pages is so evident—this might be one of the finest books about grief and mental health and longing I've read in years. It book reads quickly, and, yes, hard as it is in parts, it really is tough to put it down—the writing is that good.
Mario Febres
Dec 22, 2016 rated it it was amazing
A really blatant and honest portrayal of some of the aspects of bpd: had me in the edge of my seat most of the way through.
Jim
May 23, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Dark, intense, and compelling. So compelling, in fact, I read this in one sitting.

Descending into someone else’s darkness was…

I can’t exactly find the adjective. Interesting? Fascinating? Eye-opening? Chilling?

But I continue to believe that stories are the best way to understand other people. And the best way, sometimes, to grow empathy.
Cara
May 13, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fun-or-frivolity
I've had this book since it came out, but I've been afraid to read it. I know the author and I heard what it's about, and I was afraid I would basically spend the entirety of the book feeling like I was Brody and sobbing. But having read the comic book version, my intolerance for open loops got the best of me. I picked it up on a night when I had already used all of my self-discipline, thinking, "I'll just read a little bit to see what it's like," and ended up finishing the whole thing.

This is
Felicia Johnson
Brody is depressed and self destructive. Struggling to cope with his girlfriend's suicide, Brody turns to drugs and self harming for relief. His friendships are short lived and unhealthy, and he doesn't seem to be able to keep up with school. It seems like his life just can't get better. Perhaps it's because Brody runs away, pushes people away and hurts himself especially when he feels like he's being wronged. His relationship with Tiffany is very troubled. He stalks her when they break up and a ...more
Oran
Jan 11, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fiction
This is the second time that I've read this book, and even now I don't know the best way to articulate my feelings about it. But, while not being very eloquent, I'll give it a go. This book was dark, compelling, really real but equally felt distorted, strange, unfamiliar. Every word pulled me along, making me want to discover--rediscover--Brody's tale. What I found compelling* was the fact that Bronaugh was completely unflinching with ... well, everything; he really has a skill for portraying pa ...more
Alfredo Vázquez Hernández
Jan 21, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Being someone with BPD I really found this accurate, I felt deeply connected with the character.
It also triggered A LOT my self-harm... So, if you're struggling with that, probably not the best idea to read it.
Anyway, I LOVED IT.
Chyrl Wood
Feb 06, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I did not want to put this book down at all. It was phenomenal and raw and real. I didn't want it to end. I want to know what happened to Brody! (Received in a giveaway and so glad I did!!)
Aug 06, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Amazing

This was an interesting point of view. A must read for bpd patients everywhere. Trigger warning and tear jerker amazing
Kizzy Dixon
Mar 29, 2015 rated it really liked it
Having not read a book with this type of writing style, it was rather difficult to get into at the beginning. The reason for my four starts and not five are because there are a few things a felt didn't quit make it to be worthy of five.
At the beginning I felt it dragged on a little to slowly, plus it wasn't until half way into the book that I started feeling a connection with the main character, Brody.
Putting aside the few miner point that I felt the book lacked, it definitely made up for in o
Jessica Richards
May 25, 2015 rated it it was ok
Shelves: read-in-2015
I was a bit disappointed with this book. His girlfriend supposedly killed herself, but she is only mentioned in the book a few times, and we are not given much background on them. The story focuses instead on his inability to cope with anything and his self-destructive behaviors, and we were not really given any hope or redemption. I was hoping that this was going to be an honest look at borderline personality disorder; while some of the elements of BPD were definitely there (substance abuse, se ...more
Jana
Sep 04, 2015 marked it as did-not-finish  ·  review of another edition
This book has some extremely graphic descriptions of self harm and it was too much for me, so I couldn't finish it.
Karen D
Jul 07, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: giveaways, health, romance
This was hard to read. It's very raw, very graphic. It's hard watching a character completely self-destruct, but gives a good impression about what that would be like living with in real life.
Jeanalyn.Ortega
Feb 26, 2015 is currently reading it
wonderful book that full of life's realizations and embracing the character's personality.. a very heart captivating story..
Laura Marchildon
May 06, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Note: The author, Jeremy Bronaugh, has placed a trigger warning on his book, “When You Bleed to Death: A Novel”, as it contains graphic depictions of self-mutilation.

On page one, Brody’s cataclysmic life begins after the suicide of his girlfriend. Although Brody has self-harmed in the past and has Borderline Personality Disorder, he now begins his downward spiral by self-medicating with drugs and alcohol.

As the story progresses, Brody’s school grades begin to slip, due to his tortuous mental
Kayla
Jan 23, 2020 rated it really liked it
don't understand how I feel about this .
....I don't. can't even begin to describe the emotional rollercoaster this book put me through.
Autumn Aurelia
Mar 18, 2016 rated it liked it
Super tough to review this book. Yes, it includes elements of BPD, some of which I relate to heavily, but it fails to deliver any insight into the workings of Brody's mind. More specifically, I felt irritated by the way in which Brody describes the way he sees things (he does not see anything as black and white, just grey); this is honestly a complete opposite of how people with BPD tend to view the world.

The author has a superb way with words, and is able to conjure up strong emotions in the r
Amy Westgarth
Jun 13, 2015 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction
Clearly influenced by Bret Easton Ellis, this has the same erratic, detached narrative style and reminded me very much of American Psycho. We are transported into Brody's mind and see everything through his eyes for the duration of the book. Brody is surrounded by vacuous friends discussing the banal minutiae of their lives while he is on a completely different, fucked-up wavelength thinking if only they knew what I'm capable of, just as in American Psycho. I believe the reader is supposed to be ...more
Natalie
Jul 14, 2019 rated it liked it
Heather
Sep 09, 2015 rated it did not like it
Shelves: hated
This book was deeply unsatisfying. There was no resolution, no development, no real world-building and provided no way to identify with really any of the characters. If the point of the novel was to demonstrate humanity's lack of sympathy, rational or sympathetic behaviour, or general regard for other people, then the author did just that and nothing more.
Ashley
Oct 31, 2015 rated it liked it
Elizabeth (Stuffed Shelves)
Review to come.
Jeremy
Jan 06, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)
« previous 1 3 4 next »

• Veronika Decides to Die
  • Kultasuu
  • Vakuum
  • Elmo
  • Batgirl and the Birds of Prey, Volume 1: Who Is Oracle?
  • Batgirl and the Birds of Prey, Volume 2: Source Code