Start by marking “The Walking Dead, Vol. 23: Whispers Into Screams” as Want to Read:
The Walking Dead, Vol. 23: Whispers Into Screams

The Walking Dead, Vol. 23: Whispers Into Screams

(The Walking Dead (Collected Editions) #23)

The new era of peace and prosperity is interrupted by a new type of enemy. One that travels amongst the walkers. One that will turn whispers of their appearance to screams.

Collects THE WALKING DEAD #133-138.
Comics, 136 pages
Published April 29th 2015 by Image Comics

To ask other readers questions about The Walking Dead, Vol. 23, please sign up.
Arias Volume 24 is the most recent which ends with Issue 144. The last issue released was 146.

Start your review of The Walking Dead, Vol. 23: Whispers Into Screams
Anne
Nov 19, 2015 rated it it was amazing

Oooooh! Interesting new chapter in TWD!
Also, there will be SPOILERS.
Still...

description

So, not much of Rick in this one. And that's fine! He's been replaced by the equally interesting Carl & Maggie. Plus a bit of Jesus...
There can NEVER be too much Jesus.

description

Ok, so Jesus runs into these Whisperers, and brings one back for questioning.
shudder

description

After he peels off the grody zombie skin they were using to blend in with the walkers, he finds out his captive is a teenage girl.

A cute teenage girl.

A cute tee
Jeff
Jan 09, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: comix
In this volume, Robert Kirkman plays it smart and takes the focus off Rick and places the spotlight on Carl and to a lesser degree Maggie.

Poor Carl. Imagine a teenager trying to grow up and function normally in the post-apocalyptic world. Carl’s been shot, witnessed some horrible stuff, done some horrible stuff, all in a world where the rules and boundaries are changing and shifting, even as his father (and Maggie) try to set the world back to some form of old-school civilization.

Carl’s even mo
Alejandro
Sep 23, 2018 rated it really liked it
The Whisperers are coming!

This is the twenty-third volume of “The Walking Dead", collecting the comic book issues from #133 to #138.

Creative Team:

Writer: Robert Kirkman

Illustrators: Charlie Adlard

Additional gray tones to inking: Cliff Rathburn

Chapter Twenty-Three

WHISPERS INTO SCREAM

You will fear us.

The different communities are doing their best to get civilized again, but how smart can be trying to get back that, in a world where modern society collapsed beyond any hope to rise agai
Sam Quixote
May 21, 2015 rated it liked it
Writing “spoilers” for a review of the 23RD VOLUME in a series seems a bit pointless, doesn’t it? I mean, if you’re considering reading this and have read the past 22 volumes, why are you reading a review BEFORE reading the book itself? You’re gonna read it whether or not it’s good. You’ve read 22 volumes, you’re in this ‘til the bitter end like me, which means you’ve read the book and know what happened. Other people reading this review, they don’t care about spoilers, they’re probably just kil ...more
Heidi The Reader
I forgot that I was reading this series and only remembered when there was that huge kerfluffle a couple weeks ago by the people who only watch the television show... something to do with a barbed wire covered bat. Those of us who read the comic had already mourned and moved on. Frankly, I think I put the books aside because I was getting a little tired of this series. But, to be fair, after 22 books... it's natural for enthusiasms to slow down. Whispers into Screams was a great re-introduction ...more
Trudi

Show me the way to go home, I'm tired and I want to go to bed...

Sooooooo, here we are. Back to the more soap-opera-ish, plodding plot with a few interesting "twists" (for lack of a better word) thrown in. I was not riveted. Maggie going toe-to-toe with dickhole parents of dickhole kids is a less than inspiring sub-plot. More scheming by disgruntled community members. Eh, we've seen that number before too.

The Whisperers are sorta kinda interesting and new, I suppose, if you look at them wit
Ryan Buckby
Jul 25, 2016 rated it really liked it
First read: July 29th 2016
Re-read: December 8th 2019

the whispers are one very weird group wearing dead people skin and putting it over themselves as masks to cover themselves and walk among the dead is creepy. I think they will end up being the next big threat for each community in some way.

more new characters are introduced Alpha and Lydia along with the rest of the whispers but i'm not entirely sure how big this group actually is, i hope to read some more or see more on the group because
RJ from the LBC
Apr 14, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Excerpted from Rick's Christmas letter:

We're so proud of Carl, who has moved to the Hilltop community and taken a job as an apprentice blacksmith! We don't get to visit him often because of all the roaming undead and apparently we don't have cars anymore, but we hear he's making lots of friends with the local kids. Carl has been making a special effort not to threaten to kill people more than once an issue and most of the time it appears to be working out great! He does have a special girlfriend
Anna
Jun 18, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: dystopia, adventure
Someone give Carl a big punch in his nose, because he is about to bring new problems to the communities....
Artemy
Jan 09, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: comics, image-comics
I must say, I am so tired of people being shit in this comic. Yes, the Carl-Sophia/asshole kids conflict was tense, and it added a lot of drama to this volume, but I would rather spend more time on the whisperers than on this soap opera crap. And that gross-out moment with Carl and Lydia near the end of the volume wasn't good, too. Kirkman hasn't done something like that in a while, and I didn't miss it. Also, child rape. Cause why the hell not. Aside from all of that, sure, it's not a bad volum ...more
Sesana
Jan 09, 2015 rated it liked it
Shelves: comics
Oh, yay, we're back to treading water. It's kind of frustrating that Walking Dead stays just barely good enough to keep me coming back for the next volume. In other news, I'm week.

But I am still kind of interested in the concept of the Whisperers. It's a totally different way to survive a zombie apocalypse, and I do think there's some serious story potential there. But the storyline with Lydia is a total snooze to me.

Some day, I'll quit this series. Just maybe not yet.
Crystal Starr Light
Bullet Review:

What HAS come over me?! I've now rated TWO TWD comics 4+ stars - IN A ROW!

This was a nice continuation of the last volume, and while I really think Carl needs therapy + a stint in a jail, it's nice to be overwhelmed with Our Lord and Savior Rick Grimes.

But why do sexual assault and rape seem to always find their way into these? Hmmmmmmmmmm!!

Continue the drama! But if you kill Jesus, YOU ARE DEAD TO ME!
Becky
Interesting. As happy and proud as I am of Carl for being anti-rape, he's got a lot to learn about the world. And you know... Teenagers. They think they're soooooo smart. He's gonna start some shit. Again.

It was refreshing to not have a ton of Rick preaching in this volume, and have the focus shift to Maggie's community. Her problems stem from people, because, as Slipknot wisely reminds us, people = shit.

I can't wait to see how Maggie deals with her people problem.
Stepheny
Just read this cover to cover while in the bathtub! 4.5 stars! Review coming soooooon!
Cori
Feb 22, 2020 rated it really liked it
The season of the Whisperers is upon us. One of the few season starts that literally had me anxious. WHERE ARE THE WHISPERS COMING FROM?! IS THIS SERIOUSLY HAPPENING?!

The books are not disappointing either. The characters and connections are changing to the point that I'm genuinely interested in reading to see what happens next. The story discrepancies between the books and show are pulling further and further apart. Not necessarily a bad thing! But it's keeping the reading interesting.

Without
amanda
Jan 19, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: graphic-novel
“I promise, nothing will happen to you while I’m around.”
“I’ll hold you to that.”

I just really love Carl’s character and want to protect him! And I’m scared he’s going to have the same fate as tv show Henry! His friendship with Sophia has come a long way and its really cute. Lydia was...interesting. Kinda (really) weird with Carl. And now he’s off to go find her.
Gabby
Wow, I really enjoyed this volume. There was hardly any Rick in it, but if I'm being honest t was kind of refreshing and it was a nice break from all the Alexandria drama. This one takes place almost entirely at the Hill Top with Maggie and Carl. I really love the idea of these people dressing themselves as zombies. It's so smart. They call themselves The Whispers. We get introduced to a new character named Lydia who is a young, cute teenage girl. I didn't think I would like her but I've got to ...more
Mike
Dec 16, 2015 rated it it was ok
Damn this shit gets tedious *and* complicated to read after ten years.

Who the fuck is anybody? The art is so bland and boring and lacking in any distinguishing detail that even when a character gets named on page 20, it's impossible to know if it's them again on page 25.

Plus I don't even know who half of these wasted of ink are anymore. They don't entirely resemble anyone I remember, the characters introduced in the last few volumes are interchangeable, and they only serve to spout generic and
Quentin Wallace
May 15, 2015 rated it really liked it
Who would have thought zombies could have been used to tell a story so human?

In this volume we are introduced to The Whisperers, a group of humans who cloak themselves in the skin of the dead in order to live among them. (Technically we were introduced to them in an earlier volume, but this is where we actually learn things about the group.)

We also see that Carl (or "Coral" as I like to call him) has become something of a ladies man. He's got women all over him it seems.

There's more drama on th
Jul 19, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: para-zombies
The Good: Crazy people. It's always crazy people. Whether it be the Governor or cannibals or Negan, at the root of it all is just people who mentally can't handle the world as it now is and act out in ludicrous ways. This new threat is no different, other then there is a whole hell of a lot of them. This new brand of crazy is unlike anything we've seen before and that makes this volume completely worth the read.

The Bad: We seem to be going from Carl being a reckless child to being a irresponsibl
Nayeomi
Mar 09, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I love where things are going right now. Seems like it'll all going to be more complicated soon.
It feels a little corny, this plot around an old character and a new one. But, i think it'll grow on me. I truly think one of them could be the other's downfall though.
We'll see. It may all play out nice in the next volume.
Darren Hagan
Jun 10, 2016 rated it it was amazing
**4.5 stars**
**No spoilers**

While I still highly enjoyed it, there just wasn't particularly much action involved in this one for it to be perfect. I still like where the story is going though.
Patrick
This was a weird volume, honestly. Walkers that aren't Walkers but people dressed like Walkers... Whaaaaa?
Dave
Jul 04, 2018 rated it really liked it
Very impressed with the storytelling in this graphic novel, which is something lacking in many. For the first time, I’m reading ahead of the tv 📺 series and there are many interesting things going on, crises and enemies developing both inside and outside the compounds. Well done. Big focus on Carl who doesn’t make it to this part of the tv series.
Mindy
Apr 04, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This one is a good one! The introduction of the Whisperers makes for good story telling. I thought the T.V. show did a good job with this material but I would of loved if they could of followed this volume. Plus Maggie being a boss bitch was too much good stuff. Can't wait to read the next one!
Morgan
This was not as good as the one before it, but the Whisperers bring up a lot of questions.

really quiet ones mostly

I don't know how I feel about Lydia, but I really like how Sophia has turned out so far and how much she's grown as a character.

More terrible asshole people who think it's okay to be terrible assholes and that they're entitled to special treatment if anyone stands up to them.
Christina
Jan 21, 2015 rated it it was amazing
All this time and Carl still can't just stay in the house, LOL!
Peter Derk
Jun 09, 2015 rated it liked it
There's this part in the movie Medicine Man where Sean Connery says he had the cure for cancer, but he "lost" it. And when his colleague questions him, he says, "Haven't you ever lost anything, Dr. Bronx? Your purse? Your car keys? It's rather like that, now you have it, now you don't."

Which is pretty hilarious because, sure, I guess losing a cure for CANCER is pretty much the same as setting your keys somewhere and not remembering right away. That's pretty much the same thing. God knows I've mi
Melissa
Jun 05, 2015 rated it liked it
I feel like it's unfair to give this less than three stars simply beacuse it's the least Rick-centric volume in this series to date - if my absolute least favorite character ever is still going to be alive & kicking, then I'll at least be happy to have him relegated to the kindly old dude who doesn't get up to much & no longer influences anyone to make terrible decisions. Unfortunately, I can't go any higher than three because it turns out that Carl is just as annoying as Rick, even though I did ...more
Callie *Fights Censorship*
Mar 10, 2015 rated it liked it
Shelves: comics
It always feels like Kirkman is setting up something big which can be exciting but also exhausting. It's like being forced to hold your breath and you're only allowed a quick gasp every hour or so.

This volume is A LOT of Carl and A LOT of Maggie which I found somewhat refreshing. I love Rick but I needed a change. The new group (Whisperers?) are very interesting. Plus this volume has the honor of giving us the most disgusting image I have ever seen in 22 volumes of zombie violence...

Sexy? No. No

• X-Factor, Vol. 4: Heart of Ice
  • Chew, Vol. 6: Space Cakes
  • Chew, Vol. 7: Bad Apples
  • 100 Bullets, Vol. 2: Split Second Chance

The Walking Dead (Collected Editions) (1 - 10 of 34 books)
  • The Walking Dead, Vol. 1: Days Gone Bye