Start by marking “The White Queen of Middleham (Sprigs of Broom #1)” as Want to Read:
The White Queen of Middleham (Sprigs of Broom #1)

The White Queen of Middleham

(Sprigs of Broom #1)

For Anne Neville, a timid and delicate child, ignored by her mother, patronised by her elder sister and bullied by her formidable father Warwick the Kingmaker, her childhood friend Richard Plantagenet becomes a source of strength throughout her life.

As she moves abruptly from castle to castle, from England to France, with Warwick’s changing fortunes in the turbulent Wars
Published November 20th 2014 by Mereo (first published January 1st 1978)

To ask other readers questions about The White Queen of Middleham, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The White Queen of Middleham

Start your review of The White Queen of Middleham (Sprigs of Broom #1)
Kara

Imagine trying to explain succession wars to a child:

“Well, honey, Upper Class Twit A has 5/8’s a cup of royal blood and Upper Class Twit B has 4/7’s a cup of royal blood, and their wives have been egging them on a bit, so loads and loads of lower class men are going to kill each other and wrack havoc on the physical and economic landscape, just so someone can wear a shiny crown.”

Poor Anne Neville doesn’t even get this much from any of the adults in her life.
Rosalind Winter
Nov 04, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I re-read this book recently, having read it when it was first published in 1978. I'd forgotten just how good it is - in particular the evocation of place and time. It's also very moving, particularly the later chapters. Highly recommended.
Georgia
Feb 16, 2016 rated it really liked it
History meets Romance and time travels through the eyes of one historical icon as love is tested in the midst of a ferocious battle to reign.

Not to be confused with the 2009 novel titled The White Queen written by Philippa Gregory, The White Queen of Middleham is the first in ‘The Sprigs of Bloom’ series written by Lesley J Nickell and was first published in 1978. Since its original publication date, it went out of print only to be revived by Mereo Books in September 2014.

Tanzanite
Oct 05, 2009 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
1.5 stars. First person Anne Neville story - yawn...
Hanna  (lapetiteboleyn)
Jan 11, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2019
A very tender and sympathetically wonderful reimagining of the life of Anne Neville.
Jean
Dec 02, 2017 rated it really liked it
Another view of the last period of the Wars of the Roses

The main character is Anne Neville , the least known of the Royals and nobles in the well documented power struggle.
The author chose to depict her as the victim of repression but she does not seem capable of relating normally with her surroundings or other humans.Was she autistic ? Much later she seems to be normalized , after great suffering , by TLC and the love of a good man.
For this and several other reasons , I would pr
Barbara
Aug 28, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Historical greatness

1st i would recommend to anyone interested in the 15th centery history. This was a wonderful story. It really demonstrates that women were of no value except for money. I really read this fast as I was hooked from the beginning. I did get confused just beyond half way because so many had the same name. Children were named after the King, the Queen and great uncles. I did miss, it is was stated, what Queen Ann's son died from. It was probably what happened to Queen Ann also.
Lorna
Nov 09, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: my-favorites
As my third book based on Anne Neville, and my eleventh book on the war of the Roses, I would say I'm more than a casual fan. This book was very good, descriptive, with excellent prose. One thing I found interesting was how much of a pawn, specifically in this book, Anne was, and how much she accepted her fate as a pawn. This was a more tragic story, and caught me slipping near the end (I cried three times), but it was still an excellent read.
Liz
Jul 26, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2015-reads
Actual rating: 3.5 stars
Lesley Sumner
Sep 09, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Very moving

Compelling reading, history as it should be taught. I would recommend this book to all readers who enjoy history being brought to life.
Richard Tearle
Sep 05, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Originally published in 1974, The White Queen of Middleham has recently been republished and tells the story of Anne Neville, younger daughter of Richard Neville, Earl of Warwick, and wife to King Richard III.

As a delicate child, Anne is often sick and confused. Her world is one where almost all women are ruled by their menfolk. Remaining ignorant of the great events occurring around her adds to her feelings of inadequacy, and she contemplates entering the Church. But she meets Richa
Philip Howells
Aug 27, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Ever since the opening chapters of Sharon Kay Penman’s “The Sunne in Splendour” I’ve been fascinated by Anne Neville, not least because she reminds we who enjoy life in an age of antibiotics and three-day illnesses, how fragile life was in the 15th Century.

Her sexual rejection by her first husband also rings very true to readers used to compliant women who accepted that their only role was to marry well (though not necessarily for them) and to produce heirs for the husbands.
Nov 01, 2015 rated it really liked it
Ideally I'd give this three and a half stars, but since I can't, I've rounded it up to 4.
I liked pretty much everything up until when Anne was Queen (even the hugely exaggerated kitchen story!), but then I got a little bored. It wasn't as much of a page-turner in this section, but then it picked up again at the end.
Anne's death (as it always does in any book) brought tears to my eyes. It was incredibly well written and heartfelt and although it sounds slightly macabre, it was one of
Wendy
Feb 23, 2015 rated it liked it
interesting novel

This was quite the interesting story but unfortunately it was very poorly formatted for the Kindle app. The paragraph breaks were horrendous and it just made it a struggle to read.

However, if you can get past that random line breaks and word splits, the tale itself is quite intriguing. I enjoyed the character of Anne although at times she's so timid it made me want to scream. Then the sudden temperament change when her husband's children by his mistress are brought into Mid
Mereo Books
Review from the Historical Novel Society:

Lesley Nickell has written a magnificent insight into the character, whose frailties are apparent throughout the book. One minor criticism: through 340 pages the tale is told via Anne’s eyes, her thoughts, feelings and reactions to events.

This is not a novel of battles, bloody deaths, or the politics of the time. Anne was not witness to these, she hears of them through other parties. I enjoyed this book and recommend it to those who enjoy a g
Brianna
Sep 14, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Enjoyable novel about my favourite Queen. Not much is known about Anne Neville personally, so of course folk can draw what conclusions they wish. Whatever the case, the poor lass endured much hardship in her short life. Nickells did an excellent job crafting a moving and believable narrative of how the events of Anne’s life may have unfolded. And made me bawl my eyes out on multiple occasions.
Sarah Brooks
Oct 10, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Delicate bio/novel on Anne Neville, Queen of England to King Richard III. Wish I could find a copy to own for my personal library.
Barbara Hansen
Hard to start. Had to go find a list of the English kings. To many Edwards. Rather cool considering they just reburied Richard the third.
Katie Moose
Jul 26, 2015 rated it really liked it
Wow, the ending is magnificent

I thoroughly enjoyed this book and its unique perspective of Anne Neville. The ending had me bawling because of its raw intensity.
Wendy
Feb 14, 2015 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
It was a little long and drawn out for my taste.
Mary Swanson
Jennifer Ritter
Oct 17, 2016
The White Queen due to be republished 1 4 Mar 08, 2014 07:57AM

• I, RICHARD PLANTAGENET, AN EPIC NOVEL OF RICHARD III: COMPLETE EDITION
  • The Stolen Crown: The Secret Marriage that Forever Changed the Fate of England
  • Set Her on a Throne
  • My Name is Eva
  • The Spitfire Girls
  • The Forgotten Secret
  • The Knitting Circle
  • The Bigamist: the true story of a husband's ultimate betrayal
  • FEAST OF THE INNOCENTS: A Christmas Story of Richard III & his Son
  • Only the Innocent (DCI Tom Douglas, #1)
  • The King's Bed
  • The Duchess: Camilla Parker Bowles and the Love Affair That Rocked the Crown
  • Blood Queen (Shakespeare’s Queens #1)
  • The Couple on Cedar Close (Detective Dan Riley, #2)
  • Don't Close Your Eyes
  • The Kingmaker's Daughter (The Plantagenet and Tudor Novels, #4; Cousins War #4)
  • Three Little Lies
  • A Litter of Bones (DCI Logan Crime Thrillers, #1)

Sprigs of Broom (2 books)
  • Sons of York