Start by marking “My Journey to the Ocean” as Want to Read:
My Journey to the Ocean

Read Book

My Journey to the Ocean

Elena knows what she wants from life. Her whole picture-perfect existence is planned out and allows for no deviation. She is engaged to be married and intends to be happy. Along with three of her girlfriends, she takes a summer trip across the ocean, to St. Simons Island, United States. Her whole world is about to be rock-n-rolled, and she will have to face a pretty hard c ...more
Published February 14th 2015 by Lena Mikado

To ask other readers questions about My Journey to the Ocean, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about My Journey to the Ocean

M.M. Jaye
A travel-loving Russian girl gets to go to the States to work for four months, leaving behind the love of her life until she returns and commits for life. A new country, new friends, new ways, Elena falls in love with everything but in spite of being the object of handsome Chris's constant flirtation, she hangs on to her principles and her commitment to her Russian fiance. But is that what her future has in store for her?

I read this brilliant book in one day (and the best part of the night). Kno
Emma Waters
Feb 28, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Philosophy Girlies who love to travel
This book has all of the fuzzy, pink, glittery frills of the standard chick-lit novel- the feminine musing of superficial concerns, the goofball friends, the fairytale references, those wicked sabatuerettes of progress who bring out those ugly feelings of competition, the wrong Mr. Right, and the oh-so-right Mr. Wrong, and the general climate of "I wasn't looking for this, but I found it anyway" all play "by the book" that is the over arching methodology of this genre.

Though, this book has somet
Majanka
Book Review originally published here: http://www.iheartreading.net/book-tou...

In My Journey to the Ocean, Elena loves travelling, and she also loves her Russian fiance. But when a journey to the other end of the world brings her to St. Simons Island, Georgia, she falls in love with pretty much everything around her – and maybe another guy too. While Elena discovers a new part of the world, a part filled with pool parties and vodka watermelons and some of the hottest guys she’s ever seen ) she a
Christa Wojo
Apr 07, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
My Journey to the Ocean was such a pleasant surprise. What I thought was going to be chick lit fiction, turned out to be the funny, yet profound autobiographical story of A Russian girl exploring what it means to be a young woman while she works in the US. Lena Mikado's sense of humor will make you laugh from the start. She doesn't hide any of her flaws and tells the story with unceasing enthusiasm. We watch her stumble–figuratively and literally (from partying)–as she tries to decide if she sho ...more
Julia Berzoy
Apr 18, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
To my surprise, it was a very good read. The secret is probably that it is based on a true story, and that what makes all of it so real. I literally re-lived some of those moments with my own memories, and few times I laughed out loud (luckily, no one was around).
The best $3 I've spent in the past month!
Ju Ephraime
Feb 20, 2015 rated it it was amazing
My Journey To The Ocean, is a fun, light-hearted read from this debut author. It’s well written and moves along at a good pace. It’s a story about finding one self, questioning the decisions we made and finding love when we are not looking for it. It’s almost like Elizabeth Gilbert’s Eat, Pray, Love, but not in that order. The similarities lie in the way the author documents her travels and experiences, ending in her finding true love along the way, when she wasn’t looking. Great fun read.
Anita
Jul 31, 2015 rated it really liked it
Gentle Surprise

With a low start on a journey with a rattled student on a journey from Russia t a working summer in the U.S., I wasn't sure if I should stick with this book. But the storyline kept developing & I struggled with Elena every step of the way remembering my young self. Truly enjoyed the resolution.
Jalal Huseynov
Jan 20, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2017
The book is written in narrative style. Best for students who had j1 exchange program experience, while reading I have realised my stories in USA. Worth reading!
Megan
Oct 24, 2015 rated it it was ok
I picked this book on the kindle lending library waiting for some others to come in from the library. At first, I liked it, but then the story dragged on and I found myself skimming to get to the end. I didn't like that she continued to cheat on her fiancé and was so unsure of everything. I often got lost in her daydreams and trying to figure out what she was talking about.
Alexander Evstafiev
Apr 20, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Funny and very romantic story!

I really enjoyed the book!!! It brought back a lot of memories from my Work&Travel adventures and made me smile a lot!

But most importantly, this book reminded me to be romantic and believe in true love :)

Great book, great humor and very positive emotions! Thank you Lena!
Nancy
Jul 21, 2015 marked it as free-e-bk  ·  review of another edition
7/21/15.
Jackie Hamlin
Mar 07, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Slow start but picked up, quite enjoyable!
Sarah Amin
This book was way two long and there was entirely too much internal discussion. If I didn't want to see how it ended, I would have put it down about halfway through. The ending was uninspired.
Angela Kitchen
Mar 28, 2016 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
DNF. Just annoying
Shelley
Oct 19, 2015 rated it did not like it
Did not finish

I'm sorry, but I could go no further. I was 15% of the way through, and twice the author used the word "retarded" to pejoratively describe a person. Not cool.
Marla
Apr 06, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: first-reads
Really enjoyed reading this book would definitely read more from this author.
Tracy Link
May 21, 2015
Teresa Bunch
Jul 24, 2015
Cheryl Miller
Jun 01, 2015
Lois Welch
rated it did not like it
Aug 22, 2016
Aug 06, 2015
Cecilia Dunbar Hernandez
Apr 05, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
  • Best Worst Mistake (Brightwater, #3)
  • Shameless
  • Denim & Diamonds
  • A Pink Zombie, with a Mist
  • The Women Who Love Rome
  • Approaching Night (Seluna, #1)
  • Sickness Behind Young Eyes (Haunted Shadows #1)
  • Death Notes: The Beginning- Book 0
  • The Day Of The Wave
  • Breaking the Silence
  • Pictures of You
  • The Frog Prince
  • Persephone & Me
  • Soft Case: A John Keegan Mystery
  • Where The Broken Lie
  • Auburn: Outcasts and Underdogs (Auburn #1)
  • Diary of a Small Fish
  • Chosen (The Amish Bloodsuckers Trilogy)
I grew up in Voronezh, Russia, and moved to St. Simons Island, Georgia, USA at the age of 22. I've always had a passion for languages, traveling and dreaming :). And, of course, writing. I wrote my first detective story at the age of 9, but - alas - the only person to ever read it was my Grandmother. She loved it though!
I received my MA degree in Linguistics, Translation and Intercultural Communic
“since my logic is simply lacking logic, and yet, I still keep doing it in order to satisfy some weird, twisted part of my mind.” 0 likes