Start by marking “Bake Sale Murder (A Lucy Stone Mystery, #13)” as Want to Read:
Bake Sale Murder (A Lucy Stone Mystery, #13)

Bake Sale Murder

(Lucy Stone #13)

Ever since local developer Fred Stanton and his wife, Mimi, built five modular homes next door to Lucy Stone’s farmhouse, life just hasn’t been the same. With Mimi complaining about everything from the state of Lucy’s lawn to another neighbor’s lovable dog, quaint Tinker’s Cove, Maine, is now entangled in cul-de-sac politics and backstabbing. And when Mimi doesn’t show up ...more
Published December 1st 2006 by Kensington

To ask other readers questions about Bake Sale Murder, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Bake Sale Murder

Start your review of Bake Sale Murder (A Lucy Stone Mystery, #13)
Jenn
Feb 11, 2012 rated it it was ok
First, the positive: I got this one free from Amazon. Apparently it's the 13th in a series, but it doesn't feel like that. I loathe reading book out of order. And while this does feel like a series book, it doesn't, at all, feel like I've missed anything by just reading this book. I mean, Lucy's just meeting a lot of her neighbors! Anyway, this one was also very readable and kept me interested right until the end. I didn't see it coming as far as the culprit either.

Now, the negative: Lucy's kind
Andrea Guy
There's something special about Lucy Stone mysteries. This is the 13th in the series. This story mixes small town life with a cozy mystery. Unlike a lot of authors with long lived series, I find that Lucy Stone is still fresh, and her characters a progressing on with their lives. Things aren't at a stand still in these books. Lucy's son Toby is engaged, her daughter is away at college. The neighborhood is changing. That's what sets up the stage for the murder.

It takes awhile for the murder to
Lauri Saplad
Another exciting romp with mom-turned-reporter, Lucy Stone! This one deals with the changing times we all must face eventually. Idyllic small town, Tinker's Cove, now has bullying, sexual harassment, homelessness, teen suicide attempts, and - well, multiple murders! Lucy is on the case trying to get to the bottom of some reported football team bullying when all hell breaks loose! As much as we want everything to stay the stay, change comes to us all.
Kim j
Sep 12, 2012 rated it it was ok
Shelves: meier
I do not know why I keep reading these because they are so bad. I guess because they are so cheap???

Lucy seems to fall into solving the murders as she never really does any real investigating. She is out of touch with her kids and constantly complaining. Plus the writing is very amatuer and drawn out. If she can write a series so can I. Do not waste good money on this series...
Lorraine
Dec 16, 2019 rated it liked it
Lucy has new neighbours from a subdivision built where an old house had stood. Her friends want to raise money to give underprivileged kids school supplies for the coming season, and she invites them and her new neighbours to get involved. The sale is set up for Labour Day weekend at the mall. One of the new neighbours, Mimi, is scheduled to work the morning shift, and bossy Chris sends Lucy to go to her house and get her. Lucy finds her dead, with a kitchen knife stuck in her back.

In a
Jun 02, 2019 rated it really liked it
Another fun visit with Lucy and her family. Murder strikes the neighborhood, new neighbors cause rifts, and the high school team gets out of hand. Lucy is right in the thick of things, as usual.

Well written and kept my attention throughout. Enjoyed it very much.
Jackie
Jul 01, 2017 rated it really liked it
A good addition to the Lucy Stone series.
Tabby Kat
Lucy Stone isn't happy. Instead of living on a nice quiet road that she's used to, a little subdivision has sprung up next to her, including one obnoxious motorcyle riding teenager who spends as much time reving up his machine as he does riding it.

Lucy and her friends, Sue, Pam and Rachel start working on the Hat and Mitten fund. A bake sale seemed like a good idea to raise funds, until she starts calling her friends for baked donations and realizes she hasn't kept up with them for awhile as
Dawn
Jun 12, 2018 rated it really liked it
As Lucy Stone mysteries go, I actually feel like this one caught its footing better than any to this point. It kept me guessing right up to the reveal and Lucy's family annoyed me far less than they have in the past. I thought the dynamic of a group of women was spit on (at least in my personal experience) and I loved the neighborhood drama aspect. I did have suspicions about one of the minor storylines that I was afraid was setting up to play out in a particular way (vague in an effort to avoid ...more
Amy "the book-bat"
This Lucy Stone mystery was pretty good. There were plenty of twists and turns that kept me guessing right along. I liked that I felt engaged in the story and didn't figure out "whodunit" until the end. There were quite a few new characters introduced, but it didn't seem like too much at once like in other series when a lot of new people are added. The additions made sense the way they were introduced and the way they interacted within the context of the story.
Robin Loves Reading
There is a new development of sorts right near Lucy Stone's home. Five modular homes have been built and problems played right from the outset. Whether it was a new teen and his ultra-large motorcycle, or the teen's mom Mimi Stanton's chronic complaining, well, either situation is certain to drive Lucy crazy.

But, she has bigger fish to fry at the moment. School will be starting soon, and Lucy and her friends decide to set up a bake sale for The Hat and Mitten Fund. The proceeds will go towards
Kristie
I did not like the first 1/3 to 1/2 of this book but I kept reading since it was for a group read. I think Lucy is a better mom than reporter and I like her better in mom mode fighting for her kids. The mystery overall was a good one, the killer surprised me. The introduction of an entire street of characters was a bit much though, hard to keep track of which woman was married to which guy and who their kids were. I have read several books in this series out of order and Bill usually seems like ...more
Paula
Mar 27, 2019 rated it really liked it
Lucy has new neighbors. They have built a new housing development next door. The town is growing and Lucy doesn't like it. Her friends meet up every Thursday to see what they can do for the community. This year they have decided to have a bake sale. When Lucy calls all her regulars for help, they are all to busy so she approaches her new neighbors.

I enjoyed this book. I think each book gets better and I like keeping up with Lucy's growing kids and how they are moving on.
Elida Liederbach
May 03, 2019 rated it really liked it
In typical Lucy Stone reporting; Bake Sale Murder is a quick and fun read! Be careful who your neighbors are as Lucy soon finds out when she finds her neighbor Mimi in her kitchen murdered. The story takes us into each of the neighbors homes, lives as well as families including Lucy's and all is not what it appears to be!
Susan
Jun 06, 2019 rated it liked it
Bake Sale Murder is the thirteenth book in the Lucy Stone Mystery series. This can be read as a standalone as the author does a good job of summarizing the series so far for new readers. There is violence. This is a cozy mystery book that is perfect to read when you want to be lazy and not think (or read) of anything deep and involved.
Clare
Dec 12, 2019 rated it it was ok
I got this for free at the library sale last year. It is apparently part of a series Meier has written featuring a town in Maine and a reporter named Lucy Stone. I found it to be pretty pedestrian and probably won't read others in the series but who knows? It may well be a weak link in the chain. Maybe others in the series are much better.
Lorraine
Jun 26, 2018 rated it liked it
I would have liked this one better if Lucy didn't go running off to see a retired priest while her daughter was dealing with sexual harassment. Lucy's kids always seem to come second to her insatiable curiosity. And, her friend Sue seems more one-dimensional than ever here. Is she a real friend? Probably if I weren't sick, I would not have gotten this far in this series.
Linnea
Mar 04, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: books-in-series
Enjoyed all of the characters in the neighborhood
Melissa
Apr 05, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I always enjoy reading Lucy Stone mysteries! Quirky characters, beautiful scenery and interesting plot twists keep me waiting for the next book!!

Library book
Cindy Moyer
Apr 05, 2018 rated it liked it
It was a good book and relatively easy reading.
Peter Barr
Mar 24, 2017 rated it liked it
In this edition of the Lucy Stone mysteries, author Leslie Meier has the heroine investigating the murder of a neighbor who was killed the morning of a bake sale to help pay for school supplies. A connected story involves high school hazing. The stories read well and kept me interested.
Susan Gazaway
Oct 01, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Good book

I enjoyed reading this book very much. This series seems to be getting better with each book. I will continue reading!
janetandjohn
DNF - although did manage to get to page 79. But as the murder had still not occured by then, I gave up.
Dawn
Nov 01, 2018 rated it really liked it
Awesome book! Love the character Lucy Stone. Very easy read and kept me guessing until the end.
Danni
Aug 13, 2018 rated it liked it
fun
Danielle
Oct 16, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: used-to-own
Cute enough. Esp since I work at a newspaper. :)
Heidi Burkhart
Dec 25, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Entertaining. Lucy goes after the murderer once again in this volume. I enjoy these stories about a woman who works for a small town newspaper.
Christy Bruhn
Dec 05, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Fun and love the characters.
Beth
Sep 20, 2019 rated it liked it
Good book want to read whole series.
Lauren (Shooting Stars Mag) Becker
I really enjoyed this one! It's the second book I've read by Leslie Meier - both in the Lucy Stone cozy mystery series. Quick, fun read!
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »

• Candy Cane Murder (Hannah Swensen, #9.5)
  • Christmas Sweets (A Lucy Stone Mystery, #18.5)
  • Chocolate Cream Pie Murder (Hannah Swensen #24)
  • Death of a Cookbook Author (Hayley Powell Food and Cocktails Mystery, #10)
  • Death of a Wedding Cake Baker (Hayley Powell Food and Cocktails Mystery #11)
  • Death of a Lobster Lover (Hayley Powell Food and Cocktails Mystery, #9)
  • Iced Under (A Maine Clambake Mystery, #5)
  • Death of a Kitchen Diva (Hayley Powell Food and Cocktails Mystery, #1)
  • Bitter Brew (A Savannah Reid Mystery #24)
  • Booking the Crook (A Bookmobile Cat Mystery #7)
  • Death of a Coupon Clipper (Hayley Powell Food and Cocktails Mystery, #3)
  • Christmas Cake Murder (Hannah Swensen #23)
  • To Have and to Kill (Wedding Cake Mystery, #1)
  • Probable Paws (Mystic Notch #5)
  • Footprints in the Sand (Wedding Cake Mystery, #3)
  • Borrowed Crime (A Bookmobile Cat Mystery, #3)
  • In Peppermint Peril (A Tea and Read Mystery, #1)
  • Raspberry Danish Murder (Hannah Swensen, #22)
Leslie Meier lives in Harwich, Cape Cod, Massachusetts. She is the creator of 'Lucy Stone', a reporter and amateur sleuth in New England.

Lucy Stone (1 - 10 of 26 books)
  • Mistletoe Murder (A Lucy Stone Mystery, #1)
  • Tippy Toe Murder (A Lucy Stone Mystery, #2)
  • Trick or Treat Murder (A Lucy Stone Mystery, #3)
  • Back to School Murder (A Lucy Stone Mystery, #4)
  • Valentine Murder (A Lucy Stone Mystery, #5)
  • Christmas Cookie Murder (A Lucy Stone Mystery, #6)
  • Turkey Day Murder (A Lucy Stone Mystery, #7)
  • Wedding Day Murder (A Lucy Stone Mystery, #8)
  • Birthday Party Murder (A Lucy Stone Mystery, #9)
  • Father's Day Murder (A Lucy Stone Mystery, #10)
“Maybe he was just a crazy guy who liked funerals.” Phyllis was applying polish topcoat with all the care of Michelangelo painting the ceiling of the Sistine Chapel. “Nobody goes to funerals for fun,” said Lucy,” 0 likes
“Today she’d encased her ample frame in aqua pedal pushers and a bold floral print shirt topped with a string of beads that could have inspired a mother hen to sit a while. “What’s” 0 likes