Start by marking “Mermaid Saga, Vol. 1” as Want to Read:
Mermaid Saga, Vol. 1

Mermaid Saga, Vol. 1

(Mermaid Saga #1)

From the creator of InuYasha!Eating the flesh of a mermaid grants eternal life. But living forever can be a blessing or a curse. Immortal lovers Yuta and Mana are relatively lucky… others who partake of the mermaid’s flesh are transformed into savage lost souls!
Published July 14th 2004 by VIZ Media LLC (first published April 1988)

To ask other readers questions about Mermaid Saga, Vol. 1, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Mermaid Saga, Vol. 1

Start your review of Mermaid Saga, Vol. 1
Courtney Wells
Rumiko Takahashi HAUNTED me with this story and how melancholy/horrific immortality could be. It was an astonishing contrast to her humor and whimsy I read in Ranma 1/2 or romamce of Maison Ikkoku but sold me on how she can do it all as a writer.
Akemi G.
The haunting story of immortality, originally published from 1984-94. There are books (including novels) that tell the problems of immortality, but Takahashi describes them in such a lyrical and sad (and, yes, grotesque) way. I read the series in the original Japanese some time ago, and while all the volumes in the series are excellent, the first volume (to my memory) which involves an old doctor and his young-looking love was most memorable. Such a heart-wrenching love story!

Takahashi is one
Kristen Coffin
Sep 09, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: manga
(Review for entire series)

"Living long isn’t everything you know."

Needed a short manga to read after coming off Alice 19th, Vol. 1 (which isn't super long, but it's longer than the four volumes of Mermaid Saga.

This is pretty interesting series with an immortality flip - the protagonist is looking for a way to UNDO his immortality (achieved after eating the flesh of the mermaid) - it's too sad to watch everyone you know and love die around you. (Very Godric from The Southern Vampire Mysteries)
Heidy
Apr 24, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: comics-manga
This mermaid graphic book makes you forget all about Disney's mermaids. This one, is dark and full of horrors. It makes you rethink the notion of immortality and the consequences of pursuing it. I am looking forward to the next installment. 5 stars for sure.
Thebes
Mar 03, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Mermaid Saga is a series of short stories centered around two people who ate the flesh of a mermaid and became immortal. It's a haunting and bittersweet perspective on mermaids, but also those who want to live forever, any means necessary.

Most summaries describe Yuta and Mana as lovers, but that is a really inaccurate way to describe them...they're just two lonely strangers bound to each other through the same circumstance. Personally I find it more refreshing this way!
Lara Mi

Review for complete series

Yuta travels across Japan in search for people like him – people who have gained immortality through the flesh of a mermaid. His search has proven fruitless for 500 years for only one in a thousand will survive the poison of mermaid flesh. Finally, he meets Mana; she too has eaten the flesh and together they travel to find a way to become mortals again.

I have rather mixed feelings about this one. I think the first thought that comes to mind is that I really liked Yuta
Sheila
Jan 30, 2015 rated it really liked it
*Review is for the entire Mermaid Saga series*

Mermaid Saga was written over the course of many years: one chapter here, and one chapter there. Therefore, since it was not a constant publication, Takahashi did not face the same pressures that she did with many of her other works wherein she had to publish the next installment before a deadline. This translated into a very concise and well written short manga that properly does its job of offering the reader a glimpse into the strange and
Natalie
I'm a big fan of Rumiko Takahashi. I absolutely love Inuyasha, and really enjoyed Ranma 1/2 and Maison Ikkoku. I have been meaning to read Mermaid Forest for some time, but just haven't gotten around to it. It most certainly has the supernatural vibe and gore of Inuyasha. I read through this rather quickly, because I wanted to see the development between the two main characters, Yuka and Mana. I have a feeling that watching the anime will flesh out certain details and relationships that didn't ...more
Marielle
Apr 06, 2010 rated it liked it
It's been years since I read anything by Rumiko Takahashi. My only real manga experience with her is Ranma 1/2, which is a comedy about a young man who is cursed to turn into a woman when he hits cold water.

Meanwhile, volume 1 of Mermaid Saga sets the stage for a series of macabre tales that pervert the Hans-Christian-Anderson ideas about merfolk and set them as blood-thirsty monsters -- whose flesh can grant immortality to certain humans who dare consume it. The main story follows Yuta, a
Starbubbles
Apr 24, 2009 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: manga
even though i have to go to specialized comic book store to get this series, and every time i go they do not have book one so i can start the series properly, it will be read. i can tell it's a great series, and with it only being 4 books, it will be owned by me. mwahaha!
in all seriousness, i have been wanting to read this series since christmas, but since book one never seems to be in stock, i always end up getting other series that i have already started.

so, i found it, all of it at half
Lauren
Dec 09, 2007 rated it liked it
A different view of the typical mermaids we envision. Most of the mermaids have these freaky, I-just-rose-from-hell faces. Everyone wants to consume mermaid meat in this story and yet only a few humans are able to receive it properly--for them to become immortal. The rest/majority fall victim to a mermaid curse where their faces turn into those of the evil, nasty mermaids. For librarians and parents: there are amounts of above-the-waist nudity as well as violence (i.e. pushing a spear out of a ...more
Miss Ryoko
Nov 26, 2012 rated it liked it
Shelves: manga, library-book
I know Takahashi-san is a well known and loved mangaka... I've only read Ranma 1/2 and have seen a few episodes of Inuyasha. I really loved Ranma in the beginning but it got really obnoxious and so drawn out I started to lose interest in it. That really has nothing to do with this series other than I was a bit surprised to see it was rather series and a little dark.

I liked it. It wasn't great, but it wasn't bad. I like how the mermaids are good and are kind of scary and gross.

I'm curious to see
Travis
Jul 29, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: manga
Great series. Low key and moody vibe that juggles elements of horror from just creepy to full on monster movie.

In this world, mermaids are actually horrible monsters, but if you eat their flesh, there's a chance you'll gain immortality...or turn into a monster...or die painfully.

Our lead characters both got immortality and as they wander they encounter people who weren't as lucky....or who got immortality and just went insane.
Sharon
Apr 20, 2016 rated it really liked it
Rumiko Takahashi is a remarkable storyteller. The art is great too. There's a great sense of place and atmosphere and even though the characters can look samey from time to time, they have such strong personalities. My one nitpick is I'm not sure if I buy Mana being quite so naive for quite so long, even taking her past into account, but still it was enjoyable, creepy, horrific, and eerily beautiful, as only Takahashi-sensei can produce.
Astrid
Jun 25, 2016 added it
there was this girl name mai and she saw a star that no one could see in the sky and then there were this mark on her arm that prove that she was a hime there was many other hime by it was a really great book and i enjoy reading it
thank you to the author that create the book and thank you to the producer.
Anna
Sep 19, 2011 rated it really liked it
Great series of snapshot-type short stories following a guy trying to break his curse of immortality. More serious than Takahashi's usual romantic comedies and action manga. Good visual storytelling, with some very touching (happy and sad) moments.
Francine
Nov 27, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Wholly original; I've never read anything quite like this.
Tim
Nov 21, 2008 rated it it was amazing
One of the best manga series that I have read, I really liked how Takahashi reimagined mermaids from the Little Mermaid people-with-fish-tails image to something that is truely unhuman.
Sofia
Jan 05, 2016 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: manga, fantasy
Meh
Mette
Jun 05, 2012 rated it liked it
Good, but I don't like the drawing style.
Kelsey_jane
Jul 09, 2008 rated it really liked it
This is a very intriguing series. Each book from this series is filled with interesting stories and some can give you quite a chill.
Holly
Jan 16, 2014 rated it it was ok
Not that great. Eating the mermaids was not what I thought this was going to be about.
Lori
Jul 31, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: manga, read-manga
To be reviewed for April 2011 Manga Movable Feast
C
Jul 18, 2009 rated it really liked it
Nice macabre twist from Takahashi's usual comedy/romantic comedy style.
Abby Ang
May 09, 2014 rated it really liked it
Takahashi should do more horror
Lord
Jul 15, 2008 rated it really liked it
Shelves: manga, horror
Probably the best series from Rumiko Takahashi. Dark, inventive story that is not painfully long. And nice art, of course.
Anna
Aug 08, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: manga
The core of the story is creepy, and it gets violent and bloody.. but Rumiko-sensei keeps the violence non-graphic. Oh sure, Yuta bleeds out every chapter, but there's no insides hanging or anything
Secret Stacks
Feb 07, 2019 added it
Shelves: horror, manga
This comic was discussed on The Secret Stacks Episode 49.
Jillian -always aspiring-
Reread in 2019.

• Shipping Out: On the (Nearly Lethal) Comforts of a Luxury Cruise
  • Adventure Time 2017 SPOookTACULAR #1
  • Beezer
  • The Deep
  • Blackbird House
  • Il était une fois
  • Pet Shop of Horrors, Volume 8 (Pet Shop of Horrors, #8)
  • The Lighthouse at the End of the World
  • Petshop of Horrors 6
  • Petshop of Horrors 3
  • Petshop of Horrors 4
  • Petshop of Horrors 7
  • Island #1
  • 新 Petshop of Horrors 10巻 (Japanese Edition)
  • 新 Petshop of Horrors 9巻 (Japanese Edition)
  • Petshop of Horrors 5
  • Petshop of Horrors 1
  • Petshop of Horrors 2
Rumiko Takahashi (高橋 留美子) was born in Niigata, Japan. She is not only one of the richest women in Japan but also one of the top paid manga artists. She is also the most successful female comic artist in history. She has been writing manga non-stop for 31 years.

Rumiko Takahashi is one of the wealthiest women in Japan. The manga she creates (and its anime adaptations) are very popular in the United

Mermaid Saga (6 books)