Start by marking “These Vicious Masks (These Vicious Masks, #1)” as Want to Read:
These Vicious Masks (These Vicious Masks, #1)

These Vicious Masks

(These Vicious Masks #1)

3.66  ·  Rating details ·  4,572 ratings  ·  1,000 reviews
England, 1882. Evelyn is bored with society and its expectations. So when her beloved sister, Rose, mysteriously vanishes, she ignores her parents and travels to London to find her, accompanied by the dashing Mr. Kent. But they’re not the only ones looking for Rose. The reclusive, young gentleman Sebastian Braddock is also searching for her, claiming that both sisters have ...more
Published February 9th 2016 by Swoon Reads

YA Novels of 2016
1,119 books — 9,694 voters
Rebel of the Sands by Alwyn HamiltonBlackhearts by Nicole CastromanThe Girl from Everywhere by Heidi HeiligEver the Hunted by Erin SummerillIvory and Bone by Julie Eshbaugh
YA Debuts 2016
256 books — 1,441 voters

More lists with this book...

·  4,572 ratings  ·  1,000 reviews

Lola
Oct 03, 2015 rated it really liked it

I thought I would regret buying this book.

When I pre-ordered it on Amazon, it had something like 4.15 of average as a rating. The description won me over and you know when you just feel it in your bones that you’re going to like a book? That’s what happened to me when I first saw this book.

But then the ratings started dropping.

They went from 4.15 to… 3.84 in less than two weeks. I was scandalized and quite scared that I would end up hating this book which equa
Melissa ♥ Dog/Wolf Lover ♥ Martin
Nov 05, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: own
I enjoyed this book a great deal. A lot of my friends here on goodreads didn't like it too much but I did =)

Evelyn and Rose are sisters and they supposedly have powers. They are told they have the powers of healing by a man named Sebastian Braddock. Mr. Braddock seems like a jerk when we first meet him but he has his reasons and it is a very good reason indeed. Mr. Braddock also has powers.

When Rose goes missing one night and leaves a sketchy note saying she's going to London to be a nurse/doc
Nastassja

Buddy-read with my best super-girl.

I chose this leading quote for a reason: this books also consists of masks hiding its true meaning, or maybe blending with it, creating in the process something quite different from the initial goal. This book is like a marshmallow: light and airy but

Katerina Kondrenko
10 out of 10

Ревью в моем блоге/This review on my blog
Living A Thousand Lives

Short-Soundtrack:
David Arnold and Michael Price – Victorian Opening
10 out of 10

Ревью в моем блоге/This review on my blog
Living A Thousand Lives (please use Chrome/Yandex browser or Android/IOS to see the page; otherwise, spoiler-tags I use to make my post compact may not work)

Short-Soundtrack:
David Arnold and Michael Price – Victorian Opening
Zarema Aliyeva – Jealousy Tango
Gavin DeGraw – Everything will change

Genre: historical fantasy, YA
Stuff: superpowers,
Setting: Victorian London
WOW: writing style, humor, final
POV: 1st-person, female
Love-Geometry: next to nothing

Quote-Core:
“The true face is wretchedly simple and empty. The absolute joy in life, in friendship, in love, is learning about a person, deciphering them, taking each and every mask off to find a new one, waiting to be explored and understood.”

It was another buddy-read with my dear Nastassja (seems like I acquired the taste of our reading sessions and now I don't know how to read something alone, it's not even funny)).
“We do not remain the same each minute to the next. Every word you hear, every sight you see, every smell, every thought you have, every moment—it all changes you. We keep putting on mask after mask, layers over layers. That’s how one grows.”

You know that feeling when you read a book and you're able to foresee plot-twists and moves of characters and that's actually good because it's not predictability that helps you to look ahead, in fact you don't do it at all, you just wish for something, imagine how you would write next scene or what you would do with this or that, and then authors follow your lead. It's like you create a book with them along with reading the result. That happened to me with These Vicious Masks. But in the end Tarum and Kelly were writing only by themselves, 'cause the final really surprised me. That's what I call excellent writing: make a reader believe that he knows it all and then slap him in the face with the ending.

I noticed this book months ago, and knew it would be pretty interesting read, but I didn't expect to love it so much. I mean, have you seen how it's written? Beautiful, witty, elegant. I adore the story to every word, syllable, letter, dot. And humor, guys, These Vicious Masks is hilarious: I was either smiling or laughing quite all the time. Okay, sometimes I was angry or shattered or even crying... Let's just say that the story is able to make you feel. Also I was charmed by the setting and atmosphere: by language, manners, places, vivid descriptions (not overwhelming ones but very accurate and laconic). To be honest, there wasn't a thing I disliked in this book, and I think that These Vicious Masks will be on my TOP-10 in the end of this year.

Okay, let's talk of the story itself, which is about Victorian X-men. You may think historical decorations and superpowers do not suit each other, but you would be wrong. It works! Not for a second I thought that something is off. Now I don't know how to read a book about 19 century without people with extraordinary abilities. It seems so natural!

The story starts with our meet with Wyndham family on their way to a ball. Evelyn, the older sister, our MC and a voice of the book, isn't thrilled about dancing and suitors, she leads a snarky dialogue with her younger sibling Rose and wonders of death from boredom. I liked her from the very first page. You have to be pretty talented to grip a reader's attention and make him love your character with a few passages.

Ev and her sister are used to nursing people in their provincial hometown Bramhurst, it's not a proper business for young misses but they don't care. And while Evelyn dreams about traveling continent, Rosamund seriously wants to become a doctor, but of course both of them may forget suchlike ideas, 'cause all their mother is dreaming about is wedding bells and ASAP. They go to the ball and have no idea that this evening will change their lives forever.

Soon we'll meet our two potential romantic-interests (yes, there's a love-triangle, but it's a subtle one and doesn't bother the plot) and a dark-horse of a hero: one of them is brooding and mysterious Mr. Sebastian Braddock (tall brunette with dark-green eyes), the second is playful and charming Mr. Nicholas Kent (with average height, light-brown eyes and serious aplomb), the third is enigmatic giant Mr. Cheval (he's huge and that's it) with questionable motives. The last one's eager to speak with Rose, he seems nice, but in a matter of several hours the younger daughter of Wyndham's would be gone. She would leave a false goodbye-letter, take wrong clothes and forget her medical supplies, but no one except Evelyn would consider it as a strange thing. Even their parents would be sure that the daughter just ran away to nursing some Londoners. But Evelyn won't seat and wait, she'll be determine to save her young sister.

You have to know one more awesome thing about These Vicious Masks. There is no dull moment: if characters decide to do something, they do it on the next page: no water between your pages! Everything will be happening fast enough, so watch close! And pay attention to details, it would help to solve the main mystery of the book. Sometimes authors don't give you any clues and you have no chance to spend some time as a detective, but Shanker and Zekar aren't like that.

I won't lead you further into the plot, just not to spoil you even accidentally. Everything that is referring to superpowers has to be discovered by yourselves. So I would rather talk about the characters. And we will start with Miss Wyndham. She's already one of my favorite YA-heroines. Evelyn's narration is brilliant, thanks to her sense of humor.
Our cab set off down the crowded Victoria Street toward the heart of the city, trundling past drab buildings and gray street corners at an agonizingly slow speed rivaling that of a dying cow. To make the trip even more enjoyable, pungent city scents seeped through the hansom doors—strangely enough also reminding me of a dying cow.

By the by, have I mentioned this series reminds me of Secrets of the Eternal Rose and Evelyn is definitely has something common with Cassandra? Lack of instinct for self-preservation, for example. In real life this is a very dangerous thing, but in books it is a source of endless fun and adventures (creepy at times, enjoyable at others).

What I really liked in Ev is her focus on a goal. She wants to rescue her sister, everything else can wait. Men don't distract her. She always thinks about Rose first and only then allows herself a few moments for herself. Remember all these heroines who were trying to avenge their families, find something, kill someone and so on? Once they met a pretty face and fine muscles they forgot everything else. Evelyn is different and I'm really proud of her.

Moreover, she's quite... humble. We don't know what she looks like! I mean it! She describes quite every person in the book (forgetting about Mr. Kent's hair, how dare she!) and says not a word about herself. All we know, she is tall (shares the same height with Nicholas), pretty (but no the pretties girl on earth) and... Let's see her through other people's eyes.

Nicholas' opinion:
“Miss Wyndham, when I first met you in London, I thought you the most intelligent and the strongest girl I had ever had the pleasure of meeting. She would never moon after some mopey, dark boy. She would look for the man that challenged her, amused her, and made her sparkle and enjoy life.”

Sebastian's POV:
“I still think you’re angry, stubborn, and infuriatingly willful. But I’ve come to rather like it, especially when it’s directed at someone who isn’t me. You simply refuse to settle. You keep pushing forward to get what you want, no matter what gets in your way, no matter what hurts you. It’s most admirable.”

Laura's thoughts:
Evelyn Wyndham is here! This is truly, the most absolutely perfect and wonderful week.

Tuffin's vision:
Miss Wyndham feigned an illness, sneaked out of the house, and walked the London streets unaccompanied for most of the night. At the very least, I’d say she’s a better influence on Miss Kent than Lady Kent is.

Lady Kent's judgement:
“Miss Wyndham, I’ve seen girls like you and your sister for years—it never changes. You all think yourselves so clever, so pretty, and so entitled that you believe the rules of society don’t apply to you. That you’re free to do whatever you wish while the rest of us have to struggle and suffer and sacrifice to get what we want the right way! No one cares to ever look beyond appearances. Society prefers it to be simple. And you spend years reaping the benefits, and suddenly, when it no longer works for you, everyone must change then, is that right?”

I hope it will help you to make something of her.

Oh guys... now I see. I think it was done purposely. I mean the lack of features' description of Ev. I'll be back to this topic in the end of my review.

Let us go to the next character. It would be Mr. Kent aka Nicholas. I feel like there wasn't enough development of him. *le sigh* But he's indeed a sun in this book's skies (he and his step-sister, I'll introduce her to you later). Every time he opens his mouth, I laugh and hard. I would love to quote for you all his parts, but instead I'll give you a little teaser:
“My, my, it’s a surprise to see Mr. Braddock here,” Mr. Kent said, a hint of acrimony lacing his voice.
“Yes, it is.”
He leaned in confidentially. “Perhaps he’s come to apologize. Or maybe that also needs to be done in his bedroom.”
I strained to keep a whisper. “You know very well why I was in his bedroom! He was injured, and I needed to check on him.”
“No one is going to make an exception for that where your reputation is concerned.”
“I had other concerns at the time.”
He put his hand on his chest. “I’m feeling quite injured myself. Perhaps we might—”
“Mr. Kent! This is not an appropriate place for that kind of talk!”
“Very well,” he said. “If you wish to speak about it somewhere much more inappropriate, just say the word.”

So, if Evelyn is Cass, then Nick is Falco, without a doubt. Though noble and thoroughbred. Despite the fact that he frequently was somewhere else, readers would feel that he is a main character. Maybe it's his behavior... he acts like he owns the book and decides the characters' fates. Very confident young man.

We know him mostly through Ev's eyes, but she met Nick only a few months ago (simple deduction: winter is coming, so the last season was a half of a year ago) and I'm sure there are many things about Mr. Kent those are masked. Evelyn sees him as a careless and funny eternal bachelor, a self-centered person and a nice friend to spend her seasons with hiding from other suitors. But during the book she would find out that not everything she decided about him is right.

He's not your typical hero, BTW. This man won't sacrifice his life for you without second thought. At first I was like, what a coward! And then I was like, hm... it has sense. Now I think he's not a coward, he's just a pragmatist. That makes more valuable his efforts to help Evelyn in the end. It's not in his nature and still he does it.

Nick has a young sister, her names is Laura and she's 15. Oh my goooood, this girl is insufferable: silly, naive, even crazy a bit (a lot?). But at the same time she's incredibly loyal and funny.
Laura shook her head, fresh tears streaming down her face. “Even Nick won’t try to convince Mama! I refuse to talk to him.”
I shook my head, trying to shut my trunk. Overloaded, it wouldn’t close. “Don’t do that—he’s your brother.”
“And I hate him. I hate everyone! I just want to run away from home . . . or set it on fire. Or set Miss Verinder’s house on fire! Oooh, we should do that, Evelyn!”

In the end of the book there's a bonus in form of a Laura's diary. Her thoughts saved me a river of tears (yes, the book has a tone of funny moments, but it's a sad prose as well), I just couldn't cry after reading her charming fiddle-faddle.

Oh, and Nick will do anything for his sister. Step-sister. Daughter of a woman who took his mother place in his family.
Waiting by this staircase was Mr. Kent, who managed to both grimace at his stepmother and smile brightly at Laura.

Isn't it a heart-warming thing? Oops, I was talking about Laura and suddenly was back to Nick. You can't get rid off him once he'd entered your life.

Okay, now to Sebastian, our Mr. Braddock (who is not Luca-like, so my Venom theory doesn't work anymore).
With another wink at me, Sir Winston stepped aside to reveal his nephew behind him. Good Lord. His appearance was nearly a caricature of the dark and brooding hero from every gothic novel. He stood very tall, even more so than my gawky frame, arrogance oozing from every inch of his broad-shouldered form. Alert, hooded eyes scrutinized me fiercely, as if trying to turn my blood cooler. His lips were drawn into a slight frown, presumably a permanent state, while the crease in his brow gave the absurd impression of perpetual deep thought. With a gloved hand he brushed away a strand of mussed, straight black hair to afford us a better view of his captivating face. I felt sure he knew exactly the effect this would have on most young women. Most. Standing as far from us as was possibly acceptable, he shifted awkwardly, eyes held on Rose, and murmured, “Good evening.”

Now you know with whom you'll deal quite all the book.

The thing is, I can't tell much about Sebastian, 'cause I don't want to reveal his secrets until it's time. But still, I have something to share with you. Remember these key-words: bare chest, a kiss, thin fabric on a naked body. And now... oh, guys stop! Where do you run? To read These Vicious Masks? I knew, I had to be quite. Okay, for those who are still here, I'll continue my speech. Sebastian will be involve in a few hot (for Victorian London and, as I found out, for me too) moments, dramatic moments, scary moments, dangerous moments... What I'm trying to say, you'll spend with this man a good measure if time and you'll know him better than Mr. Kent, in spite of Mr. Braddock's secrecy. Paradox.

When I imagine Mr. Braddock I feel myself a little dizzy. He's very handsome plus brooding as I already said before. Isn't it a highly explosive mix? Attractive appearance and appalling demeanor. We are all just moths while he is a flame, aren't we? But don't be too quick too judge, Sebastian is not what he seems, try to look not at him but into him.

I think I'm kinda fond of this character, 'cause it's hard not to fall for someone you spend a half of the book with and who saved your favorite heroine's life once or twice. The authors made his life quite complicated and I see many barriers between him and Evelyn, though still I sense he maybe the one.

Now let's see what I can say about both guys gentlemen (pardon my manners). They have some tragic past (in different measures, though), flaws, strengths and potential future with our MC. They feel real enough for me and I don't even know whom would I prefer on Evelyn's place. I enjoy reading about each of them: one makes my heart ache, another makes my soul sing. There are good reasons for MC to settle with Mr. Braddock, but after the ending I got that the authors can (and they would, no, they will) do anything, no matter how much you would (no, you will) suffer. I'm sure the next installment would show us more Kent & Wyndham moments (I demand bare chest (or chests!) and some tongues as well, por favor), but Sebastian... he smells like a winner. Okay, I'm not gonna predict even a thing, so far I'll be fine with any choice by Ev.

If we leave aside the main plot and YA-stuff, we would see that this story is more than an X-men Victorian cover. Under supernatural blanket you'll find something important about human nature, lies, power and morality. Is life of a one person more valuable than million lives or vice versa? Is one kind of ability is better and purer than other? Whom to blame for horrible things: the source or the hand the damage was done by? And so on.

Now as I promised I'll finish my thought about the lack of description of Evelyn's appearance. Read the quote I chose for a core of the book:

Maybe Tarun and Kelly were trying to make a point with faceless MC. It's not that her character wasn't developed good, it was, we know her ad know her well. The author wanted to show us that her look doesn't matter, 'cause she as everyone else wears masks everyday and what's really important is her personality. Think about it and I will.

These Vicious Masks (Эти порочные маски):
These Vicious Masks (Эти порочные маски) #1/3
These Ruthless Deeds (Эти безжалостные деяния) #2/3
These Vengeful Souls (Эти мстительные души) #3/3
Brittney ~ Reverie and Ink
Mar 13, 2016 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Everyone! Anyone!
100% Adorbs. It was absolutely hilarious, and so very very charming. Loved this book to pieces. Do yourself a favor and grab a copy.

Evelyn might be my favorite protagonist ever. Every thought is dripping with sarcasm and blatant honesty. I love how her mind works.. she kept me so very entertained.

And with Evelyn, we have the charming and wild Mr. Kent, and the brooding mystery, Mr. Braddock. They are on a wild adventure, trying to solve the mystery of Evelyn's missing sister... but the story becomes
Simona Bartolotta
May 11, 2016 rated it liked it
Recommended to Simona by: Katerina Kondrenko, Lola Reviewer
3.5

"The greater good is all that matters."

Wait, where have I already heard it? Oh right, everywhere. Repeatedly. With various degrees of histrionics.

•And this is my first point: a little more attention to the villain's characterization would have improved the book to no end. The development and the employment of the deranged Dr Beck as main antagonist (and several other things truly: I'll get there) speak of sloppiness and of a hastily sketched character, and it does not convince me at all. It hardly helps
Heidi Heilig
Oct 16, 2015 rated it it was amazing
MY FEELS.

I feel I can't rightly review this book without spoiling things but I am still thinking about that ending.
Jen (The Starry-Eyed Revue)
An advance copy of this title was provided by the publisher in exchange for an honest review. My thoughts are my own. This review can also be found at The Starry-Eyed Revue.

This was JUST what I was in the mood for when I read it. (And honestly, still is what I'm in the mood for.) Special abilities. Banter. Snark. A heroine who just. Will. Not. Give. Up. Two handsome fellas, both vying for her attention. Fancy balls. Chase scenes. Missing sisters. Reputations damaged beyond repair.

It's hard to believe there was ever
Stacee
Dec 07, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-in-2015

I will read anything that's pitched as "Jane Austen meets the X-Men". Thankfully, it lived up to its tag line.

I absolutely adored Evelyn. She's snarky as hell and her inner monologue was like being in my head. I loved how she refused to be left in the dark about the situation and repeatedly inserted herself right in the middle of things. There are two boys in this book and I was amused by both of them.

The plot was engaging and entertaining. I had that
Erin *Proud Book Hoarder*
"The absolute joy in life, in friendship, in love, is learning about a person, deciphering them, taking each and every mask off to find a new one, waiting to be explored and understood.”

Evelyn is not the typical Londoner consumed with society balls and high-rising affairs of the heart and social status - instead she tries to shy away from societal obligation, much to the annoyance of her determined mother. After leaving a particularly strange ball that opens the story, she finds out that her si
Kells Next Read
My Ratings 3:5

This was a fast paced, lighthearted fun read. I liked it but it wasn't an over the top read for me. At times I found it to be a bit rushed and the OTP I'm backing seems not to be likely. Set in an England setting the plot line consist of our heroine discovery that her sister has powers and (view spoiler)
We are also introduce to minor characters and we see gradua/>We/>This
Alyssa
Dec 21, 2015 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2016-releases
***Review posted on The Eater of Books! blog***

These Vicious Masks by Tarun Shanker and Kelly Zekas
Publisher: Swoon Reads
Publication Date: February 9, 2016
Rating: 3 stars
Source: ARC sent by the publisher

Summary (from Goodreads):

Jane Austen meets X-Men in this gripping and adventure-filled paranormal romance set in Victorian London.
Fafa's Book Corner
Feb 27, 2016 rated it really liked it
Review posted on Fafa's Book Corner !

Beware spoilers ahead!

This book was recommended to me by my dear GR friends Lola and Katerina ! Click on their names to read their reviews!

I had heard about this book through Netgalley. It sounded interesting so I requested it. I was denied. When I went to re-read the synopsis I was immediately put off by the X-Men meets Jane Austen tag line. I have never been a fan of Jane Austen. I watched Pride and Prejudice but found Elizabeth
Rebekah
Dec 11, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Sophie
This was another book I read during the Easter holidays, and again, I adored it. Pride and Prejudice remains the only classical book I have read more than once, and I watch as many Austen adaptations as I can, so sticking her name into any synopsis/tag line is a sure fire way of getting me wanting to read any book.

In These Vicious Masks, Evelyn, our main character, is tired of going to society balls, and wants more in life than just to be married off and expected to sit inside like a
Jill
Jul 26, 2017 rated it it was ok
Shelves: tbr-i-own
Oh my lorrrrrd the main character in this book drove me insane... absolutely insane... like I couldn't deal with how out of the loop she was

The ending of this book has me a bittt intrigued about the next book but I seriously don't know if it's worth being in Evelyn's head again...

Jessica ❁ ➳ Silverbow ➳ ❁ Rabid Reads-no-more
To be honest, I wasn't terribly interested in this one--I saw the masks and automatically categorized it as Victorian and/or Steampunk (not my thing)--BUT . . . Then I saw this :

We love Jane Austen, and we also love books that are inspired by Jane Austen. These three books are each completely different, but amazing in their own ways. If you're looking for a sweet contemporary romance check out First and Then, a Jane Austen meets X-Men mashup look at These Vicious Masks, and for a histori/>
This was a YA historical/fantasy story, about a girl trying to find her kidnapped sister.

Evelyn was an okay character, and it was obvious how much she cared for her sister. I liked the way that she saw clues where other people didn’t, and I liked her she wasn’t afraid to stand up and say so as well.

The storyline in this was about Evelyn’s sister Rose being kidnapped by a man believing her to have special healing powers, and Evelyn setting out to try and find rescue her. We also got the fantasy angle of certain peopl
Christina
Sep 29, 2015 rated it liked it
3.5 Stars!

"We do not remain the same each minute to the next. Every word you hear, every sight you see, every smell, every thought you have, every moment -- it all changes you. We keep putting on mask after mask, layers over layers. That's how one grows."

This is a historical fiction YA that takes place in England in 1882. Evelyn and Rose Wyndham are bored with society and what it has to offer. They'd much rather travel the world, nursing ailing patients along the way. Rose in particular/>"We
Emily May
Nothing much to say about this one; it just isn't holding my attention. The protagonist is already slipping from my mind and I seem unable to get caught up in the Victorian dances and dresses. Maybe because I recently read the more compelling The Dark Days Club and These Shallow Graves. Or maybe I just need to try again at a different time.
Lauren Stoolfire
Evelyn is bored and fed up with society and her parents expectations. When Evelyn's sister, Rose, mysteriously disappears, she travels to London against her parents (who are doing nothing to find Rose) wishes to find her with her dashing friend Mr. Kent by her side. They quickly realize that they aren't the only ones looking for Rose. The young, and irritatingly Byronic, Mr. Sebastian Braddock is also searching for Rose, claiming that both sisters have special healing abilities. Evelyn, already ...more
Eve (Between The Bookends)
Feb 17, 2016 rated it really liked it
I ran across this book the other day and just knew I was going to pick it up! First, because that cover is awesome, and second because it is billed as...

Jane Austen meets X-Men

So really, I had no choice but ti buy it!

description
description
This was a thoroughly delightful read! The plot was engaas...
Kati
Feb 12, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: tbr-2016
THANK GOD, THIS IS GOING TO BE A TRILOGY! :)
Olivia & Lori (The Candid Cover)
These Vicious Masks took me by surprise in the most amazing way! It is a historical fantasy, and the characters have special powers. The main character is also the perfect heroine, which made this book even more enjoyable. A Victorian setting adds a wonderful backdrop to this beautifully written novel.

The old motto, “Don’t judge a book by its cover,” is definitely fitting for These Vicious Masks. While the cover is quite gorgeous, it certainly doesn’t give off the vibe that it contai
Rane
Nov 06, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fantasy, young-adult

It took me a bit to get over the last heartbreaking pages. Thankfully, there is no cliffhanger( your will emotions appreciate it) as your thrown into a fascinating world that you could only read in the comics with a historical twist.
When Evelyn sister Rose disappears, she leaves everything behind to search for her, with the help of Mr.Kent and the odd Sebastian Braddock with his fantastic tales of super-humans, and to top it off claims the sisters also have special gifts also. Everlyn dismiss
Victoria
Jan 16, 2016 rated it it was amazing
4,5 stars

Whoa. Jane Austen meets X-Men???
I'm sold!

I knew from the page 1 that These Vicious Masks is something special. This book truly delivered everything I was hoping it would.

So. Meet our main characters:

Evelyn.
"Evelyn, see there. The eldest from the Ralstons. I hear they have a lovely collection of stained-glass windows."
Ah, yes, just my type: a stiff, prideful, lord-to-be with impeccable, cold deportment to prove his perfect breeding.
"Set
/>Evelyn.
Hailee (haibooklovers)
Jan 22, 2017 rated it really liked it
A delightful story!

More plot-driven than character-driven, but I was certainly fine with that.

Reminded me a bit of Gail Carriger's Soulless, which I also loved.

Looking forward to continuing with the series!
Wanderlust_Wanz
Nicholas Kent pretty much sums up the reason for my enjoyment of this book. I just can't get enough of his charms and witty remarks!!
Maggie ☘ (Wonderland-Reader)
This was such a lighthearted and easy book to read. I kept hearing how fun it is, but.. It didn't make me laugh at all, it was more like light in a simplistic and cute way. Even though with a bit too much young-ish sounding narrative to me. The writing was ok. I was somewhat invested in the streightforward plotline, until about halfway through where I felt a bit meh about it. I liked all the characters enough, but I also wanted more from them. This book never deviated from the lighthearted histo ...more
Trang Tran (Bookidote)
(3,5) description

Full review here :https://bookidote.wordpress.com/2016/...
Two sisters Rose and Evelyn are pretty girls and have a talent in nursing people. However, they have two completely different personality. While Evelyn is straightforward, not afraid to speak her mind, wants to travel the world, Rose is more reserved and obedient. Suddenly, Rose has been abducted one night and left a note. Evelyn strongly believed it wa

• Love, Lies and Spies
  • Rebel Magisters (Rebel Mechanics, #2)
  • Revenge and the Wild
  • The Dark Days Pact (Lady Helen, #2)
  • Murder, Magic, and What We Wore
  • The Forbidden Orchid
  • Fear the Drowning Deep
  • Razorhurst
  • A Criminal Magic
  • Traitor Angels
  • Blackhearts (Blackhearts, #1)
  • The Freemason's Daughter
  • The Lovely and the Lost (The Dispossessed, #2)
  • Tangled Webs (Tangled Webs, #1)
  • Stone Field
  • The Steep & Thorny Way
  • Ghostly Echoes (Jackaby, #3)
  • The Lazarus Machine (Tweed & Nightingale Adventures, #1)
Tarun Shanker is a mild-mannered assistant by day and a milder-mannered writer by night, currently living in Boston. His idea of paradise is a place where kung-fu movies are projected on clouds, soul music fills the air and chai flows freely from the fountains. He is the co-author of the These Vicious Masks trilogy with Kelly Zekas.

These Vicious Masks (3 books)
  • These Ruthless Deeds (These Vicious Masks, #2)
  • These Vengeful Souls (These Vicious Masks, #3)
“Why don’t—” He stopped abruptly and took a breath. “Normally I’m good at being polite, but with you, I have to try very hard.”

“Were you trying very hard the two times you’ve compared me to a prostitute today?”
21 likes
“No, the true face is wretchedly simple and empty. The absolute joy in life, in friendship, in love, is learning about a person, deciphering them, taking each and every mask off to find a new one, waiting to be explored and understood.” 21 likes