Start by marking “Love, Lattes and Mutants (Mutants, #1)” as Want to Read:
Love, Lattes and Mutants (Mutants, #1)

Love, Lattes and Mutants

(Mutants #1)

Finding love is hard, even when you aren't a mutant.

Like most seventeen-year-olds, Piper Dunn wants to blend in with the crowd. Having a blowhole is a definite handicap. A product of a lab-engineered mother with dolphin DNA, Piper spends her school days hiding her brilliant ocean-colored eyes and sea siren voice behind baggy clothing and ugly glasses. When Tyler, the new
Published February 17th 2015 by Kensington

To ask other readers questions about Love, Lattes and Mutants, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Love, Lattes and Mutants

Start your review of Love, Lattes and Mutants (Mutants, #1)
Michelle
Feb 10, 2015 rated it liked it
**You can see this full review and more at Book Briefs: http://bookbriefs.net**
3.5/5

Love Latte and Mutants is the first book in the young adult science fiction Mutant Series. Piper's mother was experimented on before she was born and injected with Dolphin DNA. After some time (we don't really know too much of her mother's backstory yet) she escaped and had Piper. Piper is interesting because while she is completely human she had dolphin characteristics, like a blowhole which allows her to stay
WTF Are You Reading?
This sweet,touching, and very light YA, scifi romance is one that is best read with pleasure in mind. The reason for this being that if you go into this read looking for flaws; you are sure to find them.

Cases In Point:

1. The rather vague treatment of Piper's back story. When dealing with a character who's main claim to fame is her status as something other, it is very important to answer the who's why's and wherefore's of that person's history. This is often done for no other reason than to help
Erin Fanning
Jan 13, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Piper Dunn straddles two worlds in Love, Lattes and Mutants--a page-turning romp through the world of teen romance with expert touches of humor and a dash of life-threatening adventure.

In her public life, Piper is a mousy high school student, hiding her astonishing beauty and trying to get through the day unnoticed. But in private, thanks to her dolphin DNA, she is a defender of ocean creatures, rescuing dolphins and other marine animals from danger. Eventually, Tyler, a hunky new boy at school,
D.L. Finn
Jan 12, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Love, Lattes and Mutants was a fun YA Sci-Fi story. Eighteen-year-old Piper was living with her grandfather and a senior in high school. She did all she could to blend into the background so no one would find out her secret that she had dolphin DNA. Two new popular students, Holly and her twin brother Tyler, befriended Piper while the school bully targeted her. Until then, shed maneuvered through school in her baggy clothes and big sunglasses, avoiding getting close to anyone. I enjoyed watching ...more
Nancy Brady
Aug 19, 2020 rated it really liked it
This is a YA science fiction tale of a seventeen year old, who has some of the DNA of a dolphin.

Piper Dunn is a hybrid; she is a mutant of both human DNA and dolphin DNA. She dresses herself so that no one will discover her secret. She lowers her voice; she wears sunglasses to camouflage her eye color. The only person who knows her secret is her grandfather (Gramps) as her parents died in a car accident.

The new kids at Rosemont High, Tyler and Holly Carlisle, befriend her despite her
Joe
Aug 14, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This begins a new series that may shape up to be different & interesting. Piper is interesting, we'll see!
Lea
So. I'm gonna do this quick.

Love, lattes and mutants was the first of Sandra Cox's books I've read. Given the slightly idiotic title and cover, I was expecting something stupid, written like a 10-year-old, and full of inconsistencies. It wasn't. That'll teach me to judge a book by its cover. I should know, after all this time, but noooooooo. Anyway.

It wasn't perfect. (although you probably figured that out by the rating) It started off good. We had a smart MC who understood some things are more
Rachel
Disclaimer: I was sent this book to read for review.

★★★

To start off with,this book has a very rushed beginning. The main characters are thrown at you very quickly - within the first two or three pages. And it is not a pleasant introduction to these characters at all. They are shoved into your faces in such a way that you are expected to already know them, seemingly, and the setting is rather uncomfortable.

The main characters are highly stereotypical of nearly any kind of highschool related
Mishma Nixon
Dec 29, 2014 rated it it was ok
Shelves: young-adult
A copy was provided by the publisher via netgalley in exchange of a honest review

I wasn't expecting anything great when I went for this book.The book had a cheesy cover and title,a pretty stereotypical blurb with an overused concept.But even without any expectations I was thoroughly disappointed by this book.

Well to point out the good things about the book,I'd like to mention the whole unique dolphin gene concept.The MC wasn't a paranormal character,rather she was the daughter of an escaped lab
Hazel
Feb 16, 2015 rated it it was ok
Shelves: reviewed
This eBook was provided by the publisher via NetGalley in return for an honest review.

Love, Lattes and Mutants is a sci-if, romance novel by the author Sandra Cox. Set in the present day, the main character, Piper Dunn, is trying to keep a low profile at school as she has a secret she does not want anyone to discover. By wearing shapeless clothes to disguise her body shape, she hides the fact that she is a mutant with dolphin DNA. Up until now Piper has been successful in avoiding other people,
James Wharton
First book in the Mutants series.

This is a YA romance where the science is so poor that I have to classify it as fantasy. The protagonist is a high school senior who has dolphin DNA because of illegal gene splicing experiments conducted on her mother. Both of her parents are dead and she lives with her widower grandfather.

Because she has a cetacean blowhole between her shoulder blades she feels it is necessary for her to dress like a body conscious nerd; although, at one point she states she was
Erika
Mar 09, 2016 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Cute, fun read that was better than many I've found in the "Free" section of iBooks. There were some plot holes and typos, but I was still able to suspend disbelief enough to enjoy the excellent ocean scenes. Just don't expect the love triangle the book blurb mentions--it's minuscule and kind of lame.
Caitie Foster
TW: This book contains descriptions of invasive medical procedures, some of which are of a sexual nature, performed on unwilling subjects. That really should be mentioned somewhere, as I could easily see a few scenes in this book being disturbing to someone who is triggered by that sort of thing.

As a "mutant", the daughter of a mother with lab-altered dolphin genes, Piper lives in constant fear of the lab who "made" her mother finding out about her existence. The sudden appearance of twins Tyler
Cindy Wise
Dec 01, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This one was a page turner for me--I began with no expectations. I had a little bit of hard time getting past the dolph girl idea, but it was actually a very good story! Piper tries to keep a very low profile at school so her abilities are not discovered, but she meets a set of twins who basically turn her life upside down. She does her best to hide who she is, and the story unfolds from there. Its a good quick read that I would recommend.
Elizabeth
Nov 02, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A different twist on mutants

I really enjoyed this story and am looking forward to reading more in the series. Science experiments, dolphin mutants, friendships, love, family, ocean, and dolphins...put together into an engrossing story...what's NOT to like?!?!?
Niki
Jul 06, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Light hearted as sweet

A fun YA easy read that still tugs at the heart strings. Excellent plot and characters to fall in love with, Love, Lattes and Mutants is a perfect adventure to spice up your day!
Liliana
Reviewed on Lili Lost in a Book

When I first heard about this book I thought it sounded really awesome! I mean, a mutant girl with dolphin DNA, how cool is that? It's not something you read about too often. The only other book I read that sounded similar this was The Neptune Project , and I absolutely loved that one! So I was really excited to try this one! And overall, it was a pretty good read.

The romance, however, I found very annoying. First of all, it had a very insta-lovey feel to it.
Carol Kean
Mar 02, 2016 rated it liked it
A gorgeous high school senior, born with a dolphin's blow-hole thanks to her genetically engineered mother, is afraid the mad scientists who altered her mother will come for her - unless she keeps a low profile. Apparently she doesn't have much of an IQ to hide (her 4.0 GPA notwithstanding) - her idea of going unnoticed is to dress like a nerd, with tinted glasses and baggy clothes, doing the Clark Kent thing. Oh, but she swims the ocean, rescues dolphins from nets in spite of having already ...more
Krystianna
Feb 17, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: for-review
This was really good! I loved how different it was and Tyler and Piper were just awesome together. Full review to come!
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
**Thank you to Kensington for allowing me to read this book in exchange for an honest review!**

Love, Lattes and Mutants is a story about a girl named Piper who isn't that ordinary. Truth is, she's part dolphin, thanks to her mother, who was part dolphin as well. Since she's part dolphin, she can swim super
Jaidis Shaw
Dec 13, 2014 rated it really liked it
Piper Dunn isn't your average teenager, mainly due to the dolphin DNA that is within her. Not only does she have turquoise eyes and a captivating voice, she has her very own blowhole just like a dolphin. Of course, that makes it hard to blend in. All she wants to do is be a normal teenager, sport the latest fashions, sip lattes, and hang out with friends but instead she must hide her unique characteristics. She's done a great job of that so far until one of the hottest guys in school, Tyler, ...more
Mandy
Love, Lattes and Mutants is the first installment in the Mutants series by Sandra Cox. Piper isnt your typical teenage girl she pretends to be a nerdy girl who wears unflattering clothes to avoid attention because she has a secret shes hiding. Piper isnt human she has the DNA of a dolphin that allows her to swim under water for long periods plus she had a blow hole in her back. By day shes just a nerdy school girl but at night shes the savior of her beach protecting the sea creatures from sea ...more
Gaele
Feb 23, 2015 rated it liked it
The first in a YA / Teen Sci-Fi /Romance series from Sandra Cox, Love Lattes and Mutants is a quickly paced romp. From a slightly rushed beginning, where characters are brought in quickly with little introduction or background. With a few clever twists that bring some of the characters some depth beyond a more typical high school stereotype, the initial introductions are rather familiar. In fact, the first chapter is familiar to anyone that reads Teen-skewed romances.

Then we get the twists:
Kimber Wheaton
Feb 25, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: ya
I received this book from the author in exchange for an honest review

Love, Latte and Mutants was such a fun read! Perfect for a sunny afternoon on the deck. I'm not entirely sure how I'd classify it: maybe YA sci-fi meets paranormal meets romance. I loved the characters-- all of them, even the bully. The villain scientist made my skin crawl. I sure hope Ms. Cox is working on a sequel. It would be nice to know what happened to a couple of the characters. Sorry can't explain further-- spoilers.

I
Megan
Dec 14, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: ya, fantasy
(Review copy provided by NetGalley. Opinions are my own!)

What I loved:
The idea of being a mutant in a very teenaged, very normal world. This was incredibly unique and I've never actually read a book where our heroine has a blowhole and can stay underwater saving animals for a half hour at a time.

Gramps. He was a great secondary character and added a lot of humanity to the book.

Tyler and Piper. I'll mention below what I struggled with, but for the most part, I felt that electricity the author
Kritika Narula
Feb 07, 2015 rated it really liked it
Originally reviewed at So many books, so little time
The story is meant to make you fall in love with it. Tyler is the ultimate male protagonist every fangirl will obsess about. These are the kind of YA book series we all wish to read every day. So, here's the deal. The female protagonist of our story is Piper, a dolph girl. And at school, she tries to keep a low profile to keep her secret a secret. But as luck would have it, keeping company with Holly and Tyler, the popular twins, defeats her
Ashley
Mar 22, 2016 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book is a strange 50/50 for me. The plot is interesting and unique, no doubt about that, and I had no issues with the explaining of back story. I knew as much as I wanted and needed to know, and I do prefer that over over explanation. My main issue was poor editing. COMMAS ARE IMPORTANT. I'll admit to being an overuser of them, but come on; you're even missing one in the title. There are missing commas everywhere in the novel, and it pained me to see.
Another qualm I had was Tyler, the main
Kirke
Feb 17, 2015 rated it liked it
Shelves: review
Well the title pretty much sums up the entire plot. A mutant girls who's addicted to lattes falls in love with a boy, and honestly there isn't much more to it. Piper is of course keeping her mutant abilities a secret, because she knows that having a blowhole on your back is kind of weird. To keep this secret, she isolates herself at school, letting no one close enough to figure things out. This is beside the two new kids at school, they don't seem to get the hint.

At home Piper can be herself.
Danica Page (One Page at a Time)
My Rating: 3 out of 5 stars.

Disclaimers: I received an e-galley of this novel from the publisher in exchange for my honest opinion. I was not obligated to write a good review nor did I receive any compensation for writing this review.

The Characters: I thought Piper was a great character to read about. She was a great mix of fun, sass, and a caring heart. I loved reading about her. She was a great protagonist. And the idea of a person being a mutant between a dolphin and a human is intriguing.

Elo
This is your regular YA paranormal adventure and romance and it has everything the genre offers. No big surprise, but. I have to tell you when I first read the synopsis I was like nope nope nope but I decided to give it a try anyway, because I liked the cover and at the end, I was happily surprised, even.

Like. I said, nothing we haven't seen before but the story is well-paced, the characters have personality and well, what can I say, I dig mutants stories!

The fact that I am in a Dark Angel phase
Michelle (Adventure in Bookland)
Love, Lattes and Mutants is a cute YA fantasy book about a girl named Piper who isnt what she seems, instead she is a mutant. She doesnt have any special powers, but she is part dolphin. She is able to stay underwater for about 20 minutes and she swims pretty quickly.
At first I couldnt tell if Tyler truly liked her for herself or because he saw her without her nerd clothes. Then I read more and more and I truly liked them together. I also loved Gramps! He was too adorable and was always looking
« previous 1 3 next »

• Magical Midlife Madness (Leveling Up #1)
  • Midlife Bounty Hunter (Forty Proof, #1)
  • Ice Planet Barbarians (Ice Planet Barbarians, #1)
  • It's A Man's World : A Petite Savannah Mystery Book 6
  • Strange Tidings: A Cruise Ship Cozy Mystery Book 4
  • Deadly Stakes (A Cruise Ship Cozy #3)
  • Avoiding Alpha (Alpha Girl, #2)
  • Shot Cross Buns (Haunted Lodge #2)
  • Womby's School for Wayward Witches Series: Books 6-10
  • Womby's School for Wayward Witches Series: Books 1-5
  • Tardy Bells and Witches' Spells (Womby's School for Wayward Witches #1)
  • Sold To The Berserkers (Berserker Saga, #1)
  • Stryker (Sons of Sinners MC)
  • Clovenhoof (Clovenhoof #1)
  • Hex-Ed (Womby's School for Wayward Witches #2)
  • Beautiful Fury (Shapeshifter Dragons Book 4)
  • Chaos Shifter
  • Hexes and Exes (Womby's School for Wayward Witches #5)
Multi-published author Sandra Cox writes YA fantasy, historic and paranormal romance and metaphysical nonfiction. Sandra lives with her husband, a menagerie of pets, and an occasional foster cat in sunny North Carolina. To see the brood go to her website www.sandracox1.com and click on the cat tab.

Her twenty-second book, LOVE, LATTES AND DANGER, a YA fantasy published by Kensington comes out in

Mutants (3 books)
  • Love, Lattes and Danger (Mutants, #2)
  • Love, Lattes and Angel (Mutants, #3)

News & Interviews