Start by marking “Tales of the Wilderwood: Gerald the Mangy Fox” as Want to Read:
Tales of the Wilderwood: Gerald the Mangy Fox

Read Book

Tales of the Wilderwood: Gerald the Mangy Fox

(Tales of the Wildwood #1)

Gerald is unlike the other foxes of the Wilderwood, he does not have a plush coat of silken orange, instead he has little more than a patchwork of scabs and mange. Teased, bullied and ostricised by the other foxes Gerald uses his plentiful wits to plot his cunning revenge.

First story from 'Tales of the Wilderwood': Volume 1.
Published December 8th 2014 by Tales of the Wilderwood

To ask other readers questions about Tales of the Wilderwood, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Tales of the Wilderwood

Start your review of Tales of the Wilderwood: Gerald the Mangy Fox
Julia
Feb 01, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Totally loved this and was happy that it caught my eye while I was doing catch-up with some of the other books that I had finished reading. If you love animal books, fantasy or even a good classic turned modern than this short story will introduce you to hopefully a good series that will be coming out.

First of all and a sad disappointment to me was this wasn't the illustrated version so no pictures. Fortunately for the one who enjoys the artwork and beauty that is made by Matthew Burton you
Diane
Dec 22, 2014 rated it really liked it
Tales of the Wilderwood: Gerald the Mangy Fox by J. W. Hawkins

Matthew Burton's illustrations are gorgeous. The cover and the few illustrations on the website are simply beautiful to me.

This review is for the promotional (non-illustrated) ebook I downloaded free from the website. A kickstarter campaign begins in January to help get it published. Hopefully in full color from start to finish. It will be amazing.

*spoiler alert* kinda ;)

The story is cunning,
Dee
Dec 31, 2014 rated it liked it

Well, this was a short story, available free from the above website - the pictures were on the website not with the story but I imagine the finished product will be a beautiful piece. I was pleasantly surprised by this - it's quite lyrically written though it could do with some editing. It was reminiscent of Brian Jacques and Aesop's fables I thought, though I rather thought Gerald didn't entirely deserve his (view spoiler)
Rio
Jan 25, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Tales of the Wilderness: Gerald the Mangy Fox is a fantastic story with a great moral. Written for any age, this fairy tale like story is wonderfully told. Flowing from scene to scene beautifully you follow Gerald the fox as he goes through his life labeled as mangy.

Wonderful takes on animal characters with human motives and deep traditions that are the base of this beautiful forest make this story a must read!
Katrina
I have mixed feelings. The copy I read is a pre-release of sorts. I'm hoping the editing process will fix some of the glaring grammar/punctuation issues throughout. This is a relatively predictable, but still entertaining story. Could have a good future with a little work I think. I'm intrigued to see where this author goes with it, for sure.
Marla Josephs
Jan 23, 2015 rated it it was amazing
This was a very interesting book. The use of words was cleaver and rhythmic. And, the story itself was quite interesting. It's a short read. I nice little adventure.
Claire
Mar 12, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: animal-tales
Gerald the Mangy Fox is book one in the 'Tales of the Wilderwood' Series. Despite being the text version of an illustrated novel, this book was an enjoyable read in the vein of Aesop's Fables. The foxes of the Wilderwood grow up under the watch of the Great Oak in the Wilderwood. They give part of their kill to the Forest in order to ensure the Forest's protection.

Gerald is shunned by his fellow foxes because of his ragged and mangy coat. When one of the lazier elders in his tribe professes a
Vipin Yadav
Nov 28, 2015
Donna
Mar 16, 2016
1 follower
You can see my full by bio on the 'Tales of the Wilderwood' website.

J.W.Hawkins Biography