Start by marking “Lean Change Management: Innovative practices for managing organizational change” as Want to Read:
Lean Change Management: Innovative practices for managing organizational change

Lean Change Management: Innovative practices for managing organizational change

This book will help you implement successful change and bypass change resistance by co-creating change. The book will do that through examples of how innovative practices can dramatically improve the success of change programs. These practices combine ideas from the Agile, Lean Startup, change management, organizational development and psychology communities. This book wil ...more
Published October 8th 2014 by Happy Melly Express (first published April 1st 2013)

To ask other readers questions about Lean Change Management, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Lean Change Management

Start your review of Lean Change Management: Innovative practices for managing organizational change
Richard Newton
Interesting, but a book I read with mixed feelings, hence the balanced 3 star review.

To start with the good, I liked a number of things about this book. Basically, I like the core advice - it's practical and pragmatic. I like some of the ways the author combines good modern practice in change management with some older techniques - like ADKAR, Kotter's 8-step model, and the McKinsey 7s framework. I liked this not because I am fixated with those techniques, but because I liked the way the author
Sebastian Gebski
Mar 20, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I really have a problem with rating this book.

It's really well written, concise & fluff-free - what is more, I do agree with 100% of what has been stated by author, but I can't really help the feeling that this book didn't help me to improve in any way, didn't give me "more ammo" to pursuit introducing changes, didn't teach me "any new trick". I wouldn't call it wasting time, but I've expected a bit more.

What did I like most?
* author is not afraid to admit that there were things that did not go
Aleksey
Oct 08, 2017 rated it really liked it
The book looks like a case study of agile introduction in an organization Jason was working for.
It's well written and has a huge amount of references to other materials that can help with the general and practical knowledge in Change management.
Vasco Duarte
Oct 10, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
DISCLOSURE: I helped Jason shape this book by reviewing it and editing some parts before publication.

I have worked as an Agile Coach for several years. The key challenge for me in working with large or mid-sized organizations was: how do I manage the change, that I know needs to happen. How to start it? How to involve people? How to keep it going, despite the inevitable decrease in interest as the novelty wears out? and the key question: How to I deal with change resistance? or change fatigue?

Wh
Mark
Apr 17, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Like Sebatian, I didn't find much new except some interesting variations in the business model canvas and a description of the Kinsey change model.

But that's the point. If you understand agile, you will find resistance to change and you can use that to design experiments with your resistors AND supporters. You can then use the results to find what works best for the organization overall and not just early adopters.

I really like this book and would recommend it to any who are are concerned about
Gerard Chiva
Nov 27, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Organizational change is not a linear process, so an experimental feedback-driven approach will work much better than predictive or plan-driven models.

This book is very practical, easy-read, combined with real stories, and what I liked most, the absence of dogmatism. A lean approach to change management: take what works and get rid of what doesn't.

I'm so happy I contributed to the crowd-funding campaign! The result couldn't have been better.

Must read for change agents, consultants, agile coaches
Srikanth Ramanujam
Dec 02, 2015 rated it really liked it
I just attended Jason's Lean change Toronto two-day course. His book is compilation of various change methods - Kotter, McKinsey, ADKAR tied together his Lean canvas approach. There are elements of the ideas which I found interesting to absorb and a few that I don't relate to and would ignore. It is another small increment in my change journey.
Erwin Verweij
Sep 18, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A very good book with practical tips and tricks for implementing change. Every Agile coach should have this one in his pocket. Great ideas for canvas formats but also how change works within small and especially large companies.
Paul
Nov 24, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Cheeky little read, gives a brief overview of various change tools, good as a gentle intro but then getting into more heavy weight source material. Would be good choice for a work book club
Piotr
Nov 03, 2017 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Piotr by: Łukasz Lichota
Disappointing. This should be a short series of blog articles or a 1h presentation on a conference - not a book.

Mentioned ‘frameworks’ and ideas are explained very briefly, in most cases the reader is directed to a link in references to read more. Often the anecdote supporting the description does not explain very well how to use the tool and how is it helpful. Another thing is that often the idea behind those ‘frameworks’ can be conveyed in a 30 seconds speech (and referenced Wikipedia articles
Jacques Britz
May 31, 2020 rated it liked it
This simple to read and understand book serves as an introduction to lean change management. The author focuses mainly on a single project and gives an oversight of the tools and techniques that worked well and not so well during the transformation. The underlying theme of the book rests firmly on the shoulders of the agile manifesto and fundamental change management aspects.

If you have never read anything about agile or change management, you will probably get a lot of useful content from this
Bonita Austin
Jun 21, 2020 rated it really liked it
Overall, I found this book to be a very good introduction to some ideas about change management that I was not familiar with prior to reading it. I liked the inclusion of tools that could be applied to different parts of the change process and the flexibility of the proposed methodology. Clearly, the Lean Change Management approach is a work-in-progress but it does potentially address the major limitations of waterfall planning change models in rapidly changing environments.

Having a finance and
Ollivier Jacq
Nov 12, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I’m a startup founder and hands-on manager, turned Agile leader (still learning). And I try to learn as much as I can. During the last years I’ve tried and learn about many methods, frameworks, models… These days, I was looking to go back to the essence of Agile, to have a more open-minded vision to address digital, agile or cultural transformations, and I found the LeanChange book. Lean Change combine Agile, Lean Thinking and help you create your own change model, or at least explain you should ...more
Toby
Feb 21, 2017 rated it liked it
Very simple and easy to read guide on Lean Change Management. This book is literally like an autobiography of my life. At times i felt it was a little too simplistic and could of gone into more detail. In particular, the psychology of change and coaching models. I liked the section about Canvases and i'll certainly plan to use some of them. Only took about 2hrs to read so a nice way to dip your toes in and go exploring some of the topics such as ADKAR, Lean Coffee, Management 3.0 in other source ...more
Henrik Berglund Berglund
The book reads very much like a case study of a time Jasons was introducing agile in an organization. Perhaps one pf his first tinmes doing this?

The practices and approach described in this book are all good. I was expecting more from the title though and came out disappointed by lack of depth and of ideas I had not seen before.

I do love a case study over theory though and the read was easy and quick!
Pieter
Mar 31, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: management-psych
Very nicely written book, providing a helicopter view on the field of lean change management. However, given the fact that the author does not go in detail (making it easier to read) results in a summary of general insights. These were not new to me, such that the book overall is pleasant but not bringing new knowledge (at least not for me).
Trish
Oct 28, 2019 rated it really liked it
I read this book in preparation with Jason’s course. Jason has a great way of taking the complex and makes it both simple and flexible. The board has great insights and illustrations. I love GIS cocreation focus.

He opens some doors for future learning too.. Practical book for those of us who are change agents in organizations moving out waterfall into agile.

Encourage his seminar too.
Brando Maco
Jun 01, 2020 rated it it was amazing
It was an excellent book that allowed me to have a new perspective on how to manage change in organizations, in an agile way. One of the key points for change management is defining hypotheses and validating them through experiments. The book contains several tools that help speed up change in organizations. Definitely, the book is a great contribution to my professional development.
Carlos
Feb 23, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Concise, practical and context located. I've found it a great approach to manage change in a nor pushed way, a guide for change agents with a lot of advice and without dogma.

A must if you have to manage some kind of complex change in an organizational environment. A great field companion.
Abe Massry
May 07, 2018 rated it it was ok
The book was written excellently. The writer told a story, used descriptive language and kept me engaged despite the subject matter. I cannot stress enough how excellent a job the writer did at describing this subject. The subject matter was not for me.
Lorenzo Armenta Fonseca
Aug 07, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This book by Jason Little proposes very good innovative and agile practices for change management in an organization through various techniques and tools that can be easily used to implement changes efficiently and dynamically through continuous experimentation.
ragulusus29
Aug 13, 2018 rated it really liked it
Brooklyn wanted two things.
Her own bakery.
And Nate Riley.

Opening her own business was the easy part.
Trying to forget about Nate when he disappeared was the hard part.

Now, years later, she's running her bakery while engaged to the ideal man.

Then the unimaginable
Francisco
Jan 28, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Very practical and good book about change

This book makes a big impact into de the actual organizations applying one lean and experimenral approach to change management into organization that almos all are into a VUCA enviroment.
Michel Rivard
Sep 18, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Simple, efficient, action-oriented
Nathan Joraanstad
Apr 19, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Could have been a much shorter book, but an excellent way to facilitate change in an organization!
Enrique
Apr 20, 2020 rated it liked it
Not well structure. There is not story to follow just a bunch of chapters.
Gediminas
Dec 01, 2016 rated it it was ok
Poor expectation management strikes again
I heard good things about this book, so I picked it up and read it from a perspective of a Software Engineer interested in introducing technical and process improvements into my organization (introducing change bottom-up, from within the organization).
However, this was written mostly from higher level Agile-transformation consultancy perspective (introducing changes top-down by people external to the organization), making it just an educational read of li
Toni Delgado Jones
Wow! What a great book!! Of course I am partial, as it marries the two subjects that are near and dear to my heart...lean AND change management. I love the CI approach, simple one pager visual plans, and pointers on how to present what some people see as a "fluffy" stuff in business transformations. I will read and re-read this book over and over again. Thank you!
Srikanth Ramanujam

Seymour Hersh
Jan 25, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I really enjoyed Jason's book on Lean Change. Clear concise writing, and engaged tempo, good examples and that sense that Jason and I are having a great conversation.

Well,worthwhile reading and following.

Seymour

• Accelerate: Building and Scaling High-Performing Technology Organizations
  • Impact Mapping: Making a Big Impact with Software Products and Projects
  • The Infinite Game
  • Turn the Ship Around!: A True Story of Turning Followers into Leaders
  • The Unicorn Project
  • Rethinking Agile: Why Agile Teams Have Nothing To Do With Business Agility
  • The McKinsey Edge: Success Principles from the World's Most Powerful Consulting Firm
  • Reinventing Organizations: A Guide to Creating Organizations Inspired by the Next Stage of Human Consciousness
  • Tuf Voyaging
  • How I Became a North Korean
  • Scrum: The Art of Doing Twice the Work in Half the Time
  • Community: The Structure of Belonging
  • Radical Candor: Be a Kickass Boss Without Losing Your Humanity
  • Blue Ocean Strategy, Expanded Edition: How to Create Uncontested Market Space and Make the Competition Irrelevant
  • Organizational Culture and Leadership (The Jossey-Bass Business & Management Series)
  • Edge: Value-Driven Digital Transformation
  • Sway: The Irresistible Pull of Irrational Behavior
  • How to Change the World: Change Management 3.0
Jason began his career as a web developer when Cold Fusion roamed the earth. Over the following years, he moved into management, Agile Coaching and consulting. The bumps and bruises collected along the way brought him to the realization that helping organizations adopt Agile practices was less about the practices, and all about change.

In 2008 he attended an experiential learning conference about h

News & Interviews

“The Hack is the action you take to expose, jam, complicate, disrupt, or otherwise point out the crack to the organization.” 0 likes
“Top-down change without honest feedback from those affected by the change simply will not work.” 0 likes