Start by marking “Burning Glass (Burning Glass, #1)” as Want to Read:
Burning Glass (Burning Glass, #1)

Burning Glass

(Burning Glass #1)

3.39  ·  Rating details ·  4,241 Ratings  ·  703 Reviews
Sonya was born with the rare gift to feel what those around her feel—both physically and emotionally—a gift she’s kept hidden from the empire for seventeen long years. After a reckless mistake wipes out all the other girls with similar abilities, Sonya is hauled off to the palace and forced to serve the emperor as his sovereign Auraseer.

Tasked with sensing the intentions o
Published March 1st 2016 by Katherine Tegen Books

To ask other readers questions about Burning Glass, please sign up.
Kathryn Purdie It is a trilogy, so three books. Book one has a largely resolved ending. I'm currently drafting book two, which I've extensively plotted, but I'm…moreIt is a trilogy, so three books. Book one has a largely resolved ending. I'm currently drafting book two, which I've extensively plotted, but I'm always open to letting my characters surprise me, so I'm not sure how resolved the ending of book two will feel at this point.(less)
YA Novels of 2016
1,286 books — 9,613 voters
Rebel of the Sands by Alwyn HamiltonBlackhearts by Nicole CastromanThe Girl from Everywhere by Heidi HeiligEver the Hunted by Erin SummerillIvory and Bone by Julie Eshbaugh
YA Debuts 2016
259 books — 1,440 voters

More lists with this book...

Khanh, first of her name, mother of bunnies
A love triangle between two brothers, and a fingernail-on-chalkboard type of heroine. Reader, this book is so bad it hurts.

What can I say? There is nothing about this book that's anything than a shallow romance "fantasy," fantasy is in quotes because this book hardly qualifies as such. Throw in a new world, put some random ass unexplained magical shit in it and call it a fantasy. No, it doesn't work that way. My standards are higher than that.

The love triangle is the plot. There is very little e
Emily May
Aug 27, 2015 rated it did not like it
Excruciatingly boring tale of a love triangle, where an annoying heroine is forced to choose between two brothers.

Let it be known - somewhere in the last third-ish I started skim-reading, just because I wanted to know where the author would take this recycled story. So, while I know how it ends, feel free to consider this a DNF at 60% review.

Firstly, there is no plot. In my opinion, some vague mentions of slavery, a Black Death disease, and the possibility of freedom constitutes neither plot nor
Melissa (Ever So Mela)

*deep breathe*

Finally!

It's felt like an eternity since I've read a book that I've had to 5 star it for the sheer awesomeness it made me feel.

This beauty made me feel everything.
➮I was anxious
➮I felt the relief
➮My toes curled
➮My stomach knotted
But most importantly...
I reveled in every second of it

The thing is, this story may not wow you, it may not sweep you off your feet. It will possibly not t
Ben Alderson
Dec 15, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Where do i start!

Honestly, this story was just what i needed. Mythology and Magic ( subtle ), court issues and PRINCES!
Really loved the ending of this, can't wait for book two!
Rachel  (APCB Reviews)
Quick Review: Ever since I first heard about this book I had a feeling I'd love it. And so I did! Such an amazing concept well developed, Burning Glass held my attention from cover to cover. This book wastes no time and throws in plot twists left and right. A character-driven plot, beautiful writing, a rebellion, political intrigue, and a tangled romance (although it is love triangle, the main character clearly favors one guy) make this book a definite hit. March 1st, 2016. Be ready for this one ...more
Rebekah
Aug 17, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Review found at: www.awesomebooknut.com

Let me just go ahead and shout this out....I LOVED THIS BOOK! I couldn't put it down! However, I am not happy but still excited that it's going to be a trilogy.

So this book follows Sonya who, after a tragic accident is chosen to be the Soverign auraseer for the Emperor. Sonya has 8 months of training under her belt and feels the burden of such a task as feeling other people's emotions/auras in order to sense danger toward the Emperor.

Sonya is a very compli
Alyssa
Jan 17, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2016-releases
3.5 stars.

Actually, just 3 stars. The more I thought about it, the more the romance bothered me, EVEN THOUGH it's a now resolved conflict that made me hate the romance (meaning, I hated the romance while I was reading the book because it seemed very triangle-y... until the very end, in which the triangle aspect completely disappears).

***Review posted on The Eater of Books! blog***

Burning Glass by Kathryn Purdie
Book One of the Burning Glass series
Publisher: Katherine Tegen Books
Publication Date:
Ashley
Jun 11, 2015 rated it really liked it
IT HAPPENED! I finished :)

I won an ARC in a Goodreads giveaway. I WAS SO HAPPY TO GET THIS. This was one of those books where I saw it, and I just had to have it. I thought the March 2016 release date was total torture. I started this book the very day I got it.

I've been in...a bit of a slump the past few months. RL got in the way and I quickly went from averaging 25 books a month...to MAYBE 5. I've actually been working on this book for a while, but it had nothing to do with the book. I just c

“Do you never take responsibility for your own emotions?” he asked.
“They far too often belong to someone else.”

This book took a long time to get interesting.

Sonya was an okay character, but I didn’t love her. She seemed to have no backbone at all, and had absolutely no idea what were her feelings compared to what she was feeling from other people! Talk about allowing peo
Sara Larson
Dec 04, 2014 rated it it was amazing
This is a breathtakingly spectacular debut fantasy from my friend Kathryn Purdie. I can't wait for everyone to get to read this phenomenal story. I will do a more detailed review closer to pub date, but for now, trust me when I say you want to add this to your TBR pile immediately!
Kathryn Purdie
Dec 04, 2014 added it  ·  (Review from the author)
Sale alert! BURNING GLASS is available for only $1.99 across all e-book formats until August 14, 2017 (the day before book two, CRYSTAL BLADE, releases).

Also, check out my pre-order incentive for CRYSTAL BLADE on www.kathrynpurdie.com

Pre-order by August 15, 2017 and claim a fully-colored map of the BURNING GLASS world, a signed bookplate, a free download of the song I recorded, and a bookmark.

.........................................................................
I'm thrilled to announce my new
Mlpmom (Book Reviewer)
Aug 26, 2015 rated it really liked it
This was one of my most anticipated reads from Harper Teen for 2016. Between the gorgeous cover, the kick butt synopsis and the hopes that this would be something unique and fun, I was so excited to start it and hoped like crazy it would live up to all those pretty promises that both cover and synopsis claimed.

I am thrilled to report that this was a nonstop, can't put down, page turner for me. Ms. Purdie's debut novel held and captured my attention like only a well written fantasy novel can.

It
Nova Zaiden
Want more reviews, discussions and fun-filled posts? Check out my book blog, Out of Time.

After hearing such positive reviews of this novel from reviewers I trust, I feel as though I wasn't reading the same novel. - Nova @ Out of Time

This review is a rant. It is angry and possibly long winded. If that is not your thing, I advise that you don't read on.

About a year ago, I wrote a review for The Sin Eater's Daughter in which I highlighted things like a useless main character and nonexistent plot t
Roshani Chokshi
Oct 27, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Burning Glass was heady, luxurious and romantic. If this book was a drink it would be glittering champagne. Sonya, our Auraseer MC, is a complex character. You'll completely EMPATHize (See what I did there?!! Am I not colossally brilliant?!) with her situation. Purdie knows how to give characters depth without sacrificing plot or pace.

BURNING GLASS hit the ground running, and it will wrench out your heart within the first 50 pages, and then spend the remainder of the book alternating between se
Aly's Bookish Wonderland

A beautiful cover, an eye-catching summary and debuting in the same season of some of the best books of 2016, Burning Glass promised to be epic beyond words. And although it delivered in many aspects, it was also a book that left me conflicted for a good month. On one side, this reader loved Sonya, her curse/gift, the alternative Russian setting (the YA world needs more fantasy novels based in Russ
Jodi Meadows
Oct 16, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Strong worldbuilding, characters, and intricate plot.
Dana

Sonya is an Auraseer, which means she can sense peoples emotions and intents. After a devastating loss, she is conscripted into the service of a tyrant king. There she must navigate the complex emotions of complicated nobels and servants alike as she tries to control her wild gift that often leaves her overwhelmed.

This book started off really strong, the relationships between Sonya and Pia were always charming and fun, and the complex dance between Sonya and the King was well choreographed. Howe
Kristen
Jun 25, 2015 rated it really liked it
This and other reviews are on my blog My Friends Are Fiction

My Thoughts:
I really loved that Purdie created a character with a power she was unable to control. The use of empathy and how feeling other’s emotions would make someone feel was mesmerizing as well as executed to perfection. Sonya can’t distinguish at times what she’s feeling versus what others around her are feeling…imagine not knowing if the passionate view you felt was really yours? It is an incredibly interesting idea and I though
Kelly
Aug 24, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Well that was just WONDERFUL! HOLY CRAP!!!!

Burning Glass is a freaking epic romp and I was thrilled every second of it. Pre-order this one.

ARC provided for honest review. Need book 2 now.
Paige  Bookdragon
Aug 29, 2015 marked it as to-read
Shelves: arc
I have an ARC but I'm kinda scared of reading this. I smell love-triangle...
Nemo (The Moonlight Library)
I have a superpower.

Not a very good one, and it’s one I don’t really tell people for fear they simply won’t believe me.

I’m an emotional chameleon.

I literally feel the emotions of people around me. Like an empath.

It was not that long ago that I confessed this useless and uncontrollable superpower to my husband when we were sitting in the car and I said to him, “Are you feeling down? I’m suddenly feeling down for no reason.”

Which, yes, sometimes does legitimately happen to me, but I am slowly begi
Alicia Batista (Addicted Readers)

5 BEAUTIFUL, BURNING STARS...

BURNING GLASS was such a powerful read that I LOVED to pieces!! It quickly stole my breath away with it's different tone and forceful characteristics. It was such an unfamiliar kinda a read for me, that I enjoyed it for that aspect alone. But then you add in all the other great traits, and you have yourself an UNPUTDOWNABLE book that you won't want to miss a single breathtaking moment of!

Their were many reason of why I loved this book but I'll save all that for my
Brittney ~ Reverie and Ink
Jan 07, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: fantasy
3 Stars. Just wasn't really for me.

I feel this was a let down. Maybe that is my fault- I bit too much into the description of the book and all the raving reviews. I mean- come on... the back of the book sounds freaking AMAZING.

"For fans of the Grisha trilogy"...nope. I don't think this was even a little bit similar to that.

I just had a very hard time connecting. I had to reread the first few chapters a few times just to make sense of what exactly was going on. I think that was the biggest prob
kazually
dnf at page 4

at page 4 and already too bored and confused

okay.
Sophie
I first heard about this book back in August, and was immediately intrigued by the premise. Sonya is born with a gift where she can feel and interpret the emotions of those around her, and that makes her extremely valuable to the empire. Girls like her are rounded up as soon as they start showing their abilities, and trained to one day become the Sovereign Auraseer for the emperor. Sonya is different though, for 17 years, she's been kept hidden from the government, to keep her safe from the clut ...more
Ava Jae
Jun 03, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: young-adult
WOW. Just finished reading and not totally sure what to say yet but WOW. I'll post a full review closer to release, but if you're a fan of YA Fantasy seriously add this one to your TBR lists.

My only regret in reading this is I need the sequel and the first book hasn't even been published yet. The struggle.

Full review:

Right from the start, Burning Glass drew me in with probably one of the most intense first chapters I’ve read in a long time.

Burning Glass is the type of book that grabs you by th
Jaime (Two Chicks on Books)
Jan 09, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Wow! Just wow! This book was freaking fantastic! Burning Glass had me enraptured on page one! Kathryn Purdie has a hit on her hands and this will definitely make my top 10 of 2016 list!

I adored the MC Sonya she was an awesome heroine! She wasn't perfect heck she was far from it and that's what endeared me to her! And I fell in love with Anton from the moment I met him (well almost it may have taken a couple of pages lol). OMG the story! It was amazing! I loved that it was high fantasy but it had
Jess
May 20, 2015 marked it as how-come-i-mark-2016-reads
Now now, I know we say words, intentions and feelings are the true deadly weapons but really? Will the girl really do much to "protect" her emperor? I'd hire some muscle and weapon if I was in danger, no offence. A little more insurance, you know? If you were valuing life that is.
bibliophile (Romance Addict)
Couldn't finish it honestly, and if you ask me why, it's all because of the heroine! She's annoying as hell.. Has a tendency of feeling better & more righteous than others.

To put it shortly, she's too much!

DNF at 15% of the book & since it's too early for judgement, I didn't rate it. Though life is too short to complete reading a book I'm not enjoying.
Laurie Flynn
Mar 04, 2015 rated it it was amazing
People, get excited for March 1st to arrive.

When I got my hands on an Advanced Reader Copy of this book, I knew I was in for a treat if the words inside were even remotely as gorgeous at that cover. I can honestly say that BURNING GLASS blew past those expectations and continued wreaking havoc with my head and heart. This is a story filled with complicated relationships and political intrigue and cartwheeling emotions and romance—oh, the romance!

BURNING GLASS is the story of Sonya, who is an A
  • Sword and Verse (Sword and Verse, #1)
  • Assassin's Heart (Assassin's Heart, #1)
  • A Shadow Bright and Burning (Kingdom on Fire, #1)
  • Nemesis (Nemesis #1)
  • Ever the Hunted (Clash of Kingdoms, #1)
  • The Queen of Blood  (The Queens of Renthia, #1)
  • Reign of Shadows (Reign of Shadows, #1)
  • Ruined (Ruined, #1)
  • Bound by Blood and Sand (Bound by Blood and Sand #1)
  • Revenge and the Wild
  • The Impostor Queen (The Impostor Queen, #1)
  • Daughters of Ruin
  • The Great Hunt (Eurona Duology, #1)
  • Three Dark Crowns (Three Dark Crowns, #1)
  • Ivory and Bone (Ivory and Bone, #1)
  • Endure (Defy, #3)
  • The Reader (Sea of Ink and Gold, #1)
  • Into the Dim (Into the Dim, #1)
Kathryn’s love of storytelling began as a young girl when her dad told her about someone named Boo Radley while they listened to the film score of TO KILL A MOCKINGBIRD. In high school and college, Kathryn focused on acting, poetry, guitar, and extensive journal writing. Years later, when she was in recovery from donating a kidney to her brother, inspiration for her first novel struck. She’s been ...more

Burning Glass (3 books)
  • Crystal Blade (Burning Glass, #2)
  • Frozen Reign (Burning Glass, #3)
“I believe we decide our own fate. No one has the right to dictate who we are or what we become.” 17 likes
“I'm not a mirror. And I don't break like glass.” 11 likes