Start by marking “Happiness & Other Diseases (Book 1)” as Want to Read:
Happiness & Other Diseases (Book 1)

Happiness & Other Diseases

(Somnalia Trilogy #1)

Flynn Keahi has had a rough year. His nightmares are starting to manifest in reality, but no one believes him. Terrifying creatures are trying to cross out of dreams into the physical realm. Only Flynn can stop them – but doing so might cost him his life. Complicating matters further, one of these creatures cannot help wanting him -- in every forbidden way. Will she be abl ...more
Paperback, First Edition, 280 pages
Published October 18th 2014 by Iconoclast Productions

To ask other readers questions about Happiness & Other Diseases, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Happiness & Other Diseases

Start your review of Happiness & Other Diseases (Book 1)
Amy Bellino
Sep 04, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I fell in love with the title of this novel Happiness and Other Diseases by Sumiko Saulson. I wanted to read it before I even know what the plot was about. Luckily, I was given and Advance Reader Copy to review.

Flynn is character that I think we can all relate to in some way. Sticks and stones may break his bones, but whips and chains excite him! He has his flaws, his self doubts, but really all he wants out of life is to be normal. Have a normal job, family and friends. He finds himself being
Buffie Peterson
Sep 27, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Have you ever had the feeling your night terrors are not just nightmares, but shadows of your real life? Ever noticed how the dreams haunt you throughout the day? What if they were real? What if your terrors that plagued your dreams, plagued your waking moments?

Flynn Keahi is your average 20 something just trying to survive life. He begins having nightmares that keep repeating themselves over and over. He finally checks into a mental ward where he finds out, he may not be as crazy as he thinks.
David Watson
Oct 02, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Lets face it, love isn’t easy. No one knows that better than Flynn and Charlotte, they fell in love at first sight but the world seems to be against them. Flynn has been having nightmares and they are starting to cross over into reality. No one believes Flynn and his therapist decides it would be best if Flynn spends a little time in a mental hospital, where he meets Charlotte.

Charlotte is half human, half somnali and is the daughter of the Greek God of erotic nightmares, Brash. Being somnali me
Jim
Oct 09, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: ebooks, favorites
This is not just a lovely novel, its a whole universe and mythos brought to life. Take a dash of Toni Morrison, a healthy dose of Neil Gaiman, and take a trip down Clive Barker street and you get a taste for what this experience is about, but Sumiko Saulson brings it to life with her own unique voice. Don't miss this!
Josh Bisher
Oct 14, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: arc
ARC Review

Happiness and Other Diseases touched my heart, then ripped it out through my chest, but I was begging for it, and I’m ready for more.

Flynn, a troubled young man is plagued with nightmares. As with most things, help doesn’t come cheap, and things are usually more complicated than they appear. When Gods play chess, we are their pawns. Limited and weak, but still capable of taking the king. Happiness and other diseases is Sumiko’s chess board, sitting in the rec-room of a mental hospital
Buffie Peterson
Jul 30, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: sumiko-s-books
We are all a little messed up in the head at times. Shoot, we may need a reset so we go see the funny farm. Nothing big. Right?

Had this meeting been something other than what it was, sure it would have been all sunshine and psyche meds. But this was far from it! When Flynn meets Charlotte at his mental vacation, they hit it off well. They find, through common ground, they have a lot of similar likes and dislikes. But if only Flynn knew what Charlette liked that he had yet to even know about!

I a
Csimplot Simplot
Aug 13, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Excellent book!!!
Serena Toxicat
Jul 13, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I love pantheon-focused mythologies and have engaged in my fair share of BDSM and being a psychiatric inpatient. The scenarios are not only relatable to me, but Sumiko's beautiful, quirky, and dark literary style make it tolerable to face myself in the mirror.
Sumiko Saulson
Sep 05, 2015 added it  ·  (Review from the author)
Yeah. I wrote this book so I'm not going to give it a star rating. It's my favorite book by me, though.
Keesha
Larry
Dec 13, 2014
Anthony Giordano
Dec 14, 2014
Sumiko Saulson is a science-fiction, fantasy and horror writer and graphic novelist. She was the 2016 recipient of the Horror Writer Association's Scholarship from Hell. Her works include the reference guide 60 Black Women in Horror Fiction, novels include Solitude, The Moon Cried Blood, Happiness and Other Diseases, Somnalia, Insatiable and the Amazon bestselling horror comedy Warmth.

She has wri

Somnalia Trilogy (3 books)
  • Somnalia
  • Insatiable (Somnalia, #3)

News & Interviews