Start by marking “The Broken Forest” as Want to Read:
The Broken Forest

The Broken Forest

When women and children begin to vanish, the people of Edge village summon a Huntress. Though she is long due for a break and exhausted from her previous assignment, Adamina accepts the assignment and heads for Edge. But when she arrives, the simple assignment she anticipated proves instead to be complicated—complicated enough she must consult with a witch. A beautiful, co ...more
Published March 18th 2015 by Less Than Three Press

Sally
Apr 02, 2015 rated it really liked it
A dark, gender-diverse fairy tale

What a truly marvelous tale! The Broken Forest is a very dark sort of twist on the traditional fairy tale, exploring not so much the archetype by the consequences of it. Megan Derr has crafted a powerful fantasy about two powerful women, each of them outsiders in their own way, facing off against the remnants of the Rapunzel tale. In this case, however, it's a much darker fairy tale, one of madness, murder, tragedy, and lingering horrors. To say much more than th
Siobhan
Feb 04, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is another of those short stories which you can complete in about an hour, with each turn of the page a percentage passes by. If you’re looking for something short and sweet to pass some kind of interlude then I would recommend picking this up.

In all honesty, though, I really would have liked to see this as a full length book. It is short and simple, perfect for a novella, yet I wanted more when it came to an end. Part of me – a large part, if I’m honest – wanted to find out more about the
Tara
Feb 13, 2016 rated it really liked it
This is a fun fantasy novella that can easily be read in a sitting. I think it might be the first time I've seen a lesbian romance with a trans woman, and I particularly appreciate how that aspect was handled. Basically, it was no big deal.

In some ways the story seemed like it could be a side mission on the Witcher 3, but I liked that. I'd be interested in seeing more stories from this particular fantasy setting.
♆ BookAddict  ✒ La Crimson Femme
Cleverly blended fairy tales retold in an erotic quest is quite impressive.  New to me author, Ms. Derr is one I will want to read more of because her writing style is alluring and erotic. In BROKEN FOREST, Adamina is a Huntress. She is gifted with the power to help right the wrongs. When she is called to save women and girls who have been kidnapped into the Broken Forest, she bites off more than she can chew.

What I liked about this story is how fairy tales of old are blended together and reform
Taylor Richards
Mar 20, 2015 rated it did not like it
Received a free copy through NetGalley in exchange for an honest review.

A short story about magic, monsters, strong and smart women- what more could you ask for, right?

It was a mix between the nice cover and the description of the book that drew me to it, and it was a decent read. Took me about two and a half hours to get through, and I enjoyed it for the most part.

The book begins with women and children vanishing from a village that hires a huntress to figure out what has happened to them. This
Book Gannet
I really enjoyed this short story, it’s interesting and clever and I never knew what fairytale it would reference next. There’s magic and mystery as well as a touch of romance, as Adamina sets about discovering first what’s been stealing the women and children from Edge village and then how to stop it.

I really liked the magic of the Huntresses and how the magic connected Adamina to the forest, as well as her use of blood magic for good purposes. I have to admit I’d have loved if this had been lo
Megan
Mar 04, 2015 rated it really liked it
LGBTQ short story. I read an uncorrected ARC from Netgalley in exchange for a review.

I liked this short story, and think Megan Derr shows a lot of promise. I think it would be better longer, a true novella, or even if she made it into an entire novel. As it stands, it's a bit choppy. Aramina is an interesting character, and I was left wanting to know more about her background. The story could have worked more in as well with her parents story, Grete, and the kingdom's background as well. I liked
Cynthia
Dec 23, 2017 rated it did not like it
Shelves: queer
With a lot of wasted potential, and tokenism, I found this story too convenient.

The characters' skin color feels like perfunctory diversity, it has no bearing on anything at all, not their values, not their culture, not the story. I hated that the main character kept calling her companion "witch" as if this was her entire identity. (For comparison, the witch calls the main character "my lady" and "Huntress.") I assume this was to make it feel more fairy-taley, but it just felt disrespectful to m
Amy
Oct 09, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2018, fantasy, lgbt, romance
Overall, a pretty fun read. I like the use of fairy tales being blended together, some of them being given new meaning and the story was easy to follow. There's not much character development and a lot of the obstacles are overcome pretty quickly, but seeing as it's a short novella I can be more forgiving of that. The romance is insta-love but the two leads at least have some chemistry.

Fair warning: there's an erotic scene at one point, I didn't know that was in there going in, but it's rather s
Patricia
Jun 20, 2018 rated it liked it
A quick, decent read. Nothing much else to it. The ending seemed rush, but then again so did the rest of this book; a downside to its short length. But the subtle worldbuilding was decent enough for a one-off novella, and nothing about it was glaringly bad. Could've gone without the rushed, very unsexy sex scene at the end, but that's just personal preference. Overall not a reading experience I regret.
Alex K
Mar 24, 2019 rated it liked it
3 1/2*

It was pretty good for what it was - I liked the way the author drew in other fairy tales, and the world was definitely interesting. It was just a little lackluster, left me wanting something...more.
Kaye Draper
Feb 16, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Great world building

I love the interwoven fairytales in the background of this story. The characters were unique and as always, challenge the stereotypical "normal" world.
Donegal
my only complaint is that it's too short! it sets up such a fascinating world, and i was delighted with the lgbtqia+ inclusion. i would love to read a novel length version of this story, or even a different story in the same world.
Silvia
Find this review & more @ bookishsilvertongue

I received a free review copy through NetGalley, in exchange for a honest opinion

When the women and children of Edge start to vanish into the forest, Adamina is summoned to save the village. But what she hoped would be a quick assignment before a long-deserved holiday ends up as something way out of her Huntress skills. For this, she needs help from a witch. And the closest one just happens to be charming, beautiful and to make Adamina's heart flu
Kirsty Bicknell
The Broken Forest is only a short story, but by using strong imagery, mystery and a little magic, Megan Derr is able to capture her reader's imagination.
It may be that I'm a little slow, but I did not recognise the connection between The Broken Forest and conventional fairy-tales until 18% of the way into the novella, when Adamina discovers a poisonous rose in the forest, called Rapunzel. However, from this point I was able to notice every reference made to Beauty and the Beast, Red Riding Hood
Inked Reads
May 09, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: f-f, trans
fourstars
A dark but very enjoyable mystic tale. Easily readable but very engrossing. The use of imagery by the author brings this novel to life. From the dark foreboding forest to the challenges being faced by the two main characters the description make you feel as if you are there.

Another strength of this author is the ease and the almost insignificance of one of the leads being trans gendered. A very refreshing acceptance.

A novel to be enjoyed by all who believe in magic, of good overcoming
Amanda
May 14, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: romance, fantasy
Good Fantasy Story
Review copy provided via Reading Alley in exchange for an honest review.

The twists on the fairy-tale elements were enough to add a bit of surprise, but familiar enough to keep the thread of the originals. The way multiple fairy-tales get interwoven within the story make for a fuller story overall, and gave me several moments of recognition (think of it like comfort food found in a foreign country).

I really liked Adamina. Though she displays confidence in her abilities, she isn'
Sarina
Jul 26, 2015 rated it really liked it
Enjoyable fantasy with unexpected extras

Review copy provided via Reading Alley in exchange for an honest review.

I've read quite a few books by Megan Derr yet I originally hesitated reading this one because its listed as a F/F pairing...I don't have anything against that, of course, but I'm more used to it being a background pairing instead of the main one. That being said, I'm so glad I changed my mind! I thought the pacing was great, as were the character interactions, and the unexpected addit
Khumbo Mhone
Feb 19, 2015 rated it really liked it
This eBook is only 49 pages long so it is a very short read. It took me almost two weeks to finish because I sometimes leave books for days at a time and read/write other things.

This novella is short and sweet but also wildly imaginative. Megan Derr has a great ability to show and not tell you what is happening (the mark of all competent writers everywhere). The way that she weaves together several fairy tales was really exciting and it made me wish that she would write a longer piece so that th
A.M. Leibowitz

This short read was wonderful. It grabbed me and held my attention right from the first page. There were so many delightful surprises woven into it. I’m hesitant to say much because I don’t want to spoil it for readers.

I really appreciated how the elements regarding gender and sexual fluidity were simply a matter of fact in the story’s context. They required no explanation, which would have been out of place in the fantasy setting. It was refreshing and much appreciated.
There were so many facets
Christine Close
May 04, 2015 rated it really liked it
I read this book after receiving it from Inked Rainbow in exchange for an honest opinionFour stars: Magical Mystery: f/f/trans

Rachel Cotterill
This novella sees the Huntress Adamina summoned to a remote village, where she must venture into the eponymous forest to bring an end to the rot which is poisoning the region. With the help of Grete, a local witch whose magical talents match her own, Adamina must uncover long-buried history to set things right. As well as the lesbian romance between Huntress and witch, The Broken Forest also features a transgender main character, and of course independent women all the way, so there are definite ...more
Eli
Jul 18, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2016, fiction, queer, spec
A lovely tale offering delightful and often unexpected twists on several classic fairytales (Rapunzel and Beauty and the Beast in particular).

A couple of racial notes rang a little off--The Beast being Black while Beauty is white; the intimation, unclear though I found it, that all Huntresses (yer classic magical "rescuer" types) are white or at least part-white while the villages they're sent to save are entirely inhabited by people of color. And I would've loved to know who Adamina's parents w
Jeremy Reppy
Aug 22, 2015 rated it liked it
Shelves: first-reads
Lauren Smith
Notable as being one of the very few stories I've read with a transgender character, but there was just way too much romance for me. The cutesy banter between the Huntress and the sexy witch completely failed to charm, and I got bored. There's some interesting stuff going on with Rapunzel and other fairy tales, but it gets a bit messy and is dealt with rather perfunctorily while the story lingers on random moments between Adamina and Grete.
Vyrissi
Jul 24, 2015 rated it really liked it
A dark fairy tale retelling with a twist
Broken Forest is a wonderful tangle of intermingled fairy tales with all of them just a little twisted from what we already know. Dark and brooding, this novella was liberally spiced with Megan Derr's unique brand of romance. Wonderfully written, I would recommend this to anyone who likes their fairy tales on the dark side -as they were meant to be.
Alison
As with so many of Ms Derr's stories, this one is layers upon layers. Being a short story, it only hints at the society, but the hints I got, I found fascinating. Well worth the read.
Angelina
Sep 04, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: ff, lgbt
I enjoyed a lot of little things about this, including: clever fairy tale references, genderqueer characters where it isn't a big deal, witches.
Limerith Johnstone
  • Darkling Mine
  • That Famous Happy End
  • Crimson Spell, Vol. 5
  • The Practical Guide to Trying Not to Die
  • Ash and Echoes (Blessed Epoch, #1)
  • The Gravemen
  • Death by Dragon
  • Human Choices (Guardians of the Leythe, #2)
  • Some of the Parts
  • Cowboys & Vampires (Venom Valley #1)
  • Canes and Scales
  • Northern Lights (Arctic Heat, #1)
Megan is a long time resident of m/m fiction, and keeps herself busy reading, writing, and publishing it. She is often accused of fluff and nonsense. When she's not involved in writing, she likes to cook, harass her cats, or watch movies (especially all things James Bond). She loves to hear from readers, and can be found all around the internet.

maderr.com