Start by marking “Fear the Light” as Want to Read:

(Fear #1)

WHO MURDERED DRACULA?

Many had tried to kill the Count over the centuries. All had failed. Until now...

Eight vampires gather at their maker's castle to solve the mystery of who killed Dracula. But as the sun rises outside the chateau, a voice cries out and another vampire is slain. Trapped inside their master's lair, the sun burning bright outside, D
Published (first published October 23rd 2013)

Start your review of Fear the Light
Dwayne Smith
Oct 25, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Great read. Fast paced and an excellent mystery. A new twist on classic genre. Highly recommend.
Stephen
I received this book from a Goodreads First Reads giveaway.

In Fear the Light, William Massa combines Bram Stoker's vampires with the classic Agatha Christie style 'whodunit' mystery. The main character is a vampire and former Texas Ranger lawman, turned by Dracula himself in the 1800's. He is called by the clan to come to Dracula's chateau in France. Why is the clan gathering? Someone has murdered Dracula!

As the clan gathers, they begin to get picked off one by one. Who i
Roc Rockerson
May 17, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Just read it again, great book, need to follow this author more.
Ms. Nikki
Dracula has been killed, burned to death by the blistering sun and all that have been made by him are asked to attend a meeting at his home for a new leader must be chosen. Once there, the vampires vow to find out who is responsible for his demise.
There's no need to look far, for the killer is amongst them and has a warning for the rest of the vampires:
"By nightfall you'll all be dead. Fear the light!"
Every vampire comes into question. Before long the vampires are being pick
Amethyst
Nov 10, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition

This is a brilliant take on a Dracula novel, I have read so many Dracula and vampire books especially recently which I love; but they have become a bit samely. NOT WITH this one it has a completely unique edge to it.

Its fast paced and well written and I devoured this book in one complete sitting as I couldn't put it down. If you loved and read Agatha Christie's - And then there were none/Ten little Indians then you will love this novel but add the vampires; its just genius.
Will
chucklesthescot
Who killed Dracula? That is the question that his clan have been brought to his Paris estate to discuss and investigate. With little time to talk before the sun comes up, they agree to meet when darkness falls to start investigating. When the others are awoken to a death scream just hours later, they realise that Dracula's killer is inside the house and the sun cuts off any chance of escape. Now they must solve the mystery and outwit the killer by staying alive until dark...

I really
Harry Sahl
Dec 06, 2014 rated it really liked it
Proteges of Dracula descend to his chateau in France to try to solve the mystery of who killed their master. Also, in play is who will be the next leader. The various players who were turned vampire through the centuries look for revenge only to find that they are also on the list of the killer. The pacing is brisk as the story takes place over a 24 hour period (hence, the title Fear the Light). They need to find the murderer before the next sunrise.

It is hard to find a vampire tale
Arun
Jan 11, 2016 rated it really liked it
Cassandra
A fun twist on a classic trope. Fans of 'people trapped together in a scary place and they start dropping like flies' genre be satisfied by a good mystery, and fun characters. That said:

Is some of the writing hammy? Yes. (My dear beloved Vincent, love of my life).

Are omniscient POV ominous statements over-used? Yes. (It would be a long day, Vincent thought. He had no idea how prophetic those words would turn out to be).

Do ellipses always spoil what should be a surp
James Oliver French
I wish GoodReads gave half stars, because this book deserves a 3.5. It was a fun, albeit quite predictable read that kept me entertained for a few evenings. Part of the problem with constructing a great whodunnit is that we've all seen so many movies and read so many stories, that usually it's quite obvious from very early on who is responsible for the heinous crime; this book was unfortunately no different. However, it did have one really awesome twist, which I didn't see coming, and thoroughly ...more
David Biondi
Okay so this is the second Massa book I've read so far and so far he is two for two. I really enjoyed this book. I enjoyed it so much I read it in a day. He has a nice cross section of society in the form of Dracula's vampire children. The story is well thought out, fast paced, and action packed. I feel like he did a better job in this novel helping us start to feel for the characters than in Gargoyle Knight. My one complaint as with previous novels is that it is WAY TO SHORT. I would have liked ...more
Kelley
Nov 29, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is how you do a vampire thriller! A great cast of characters, each with their own background & characteristics to draw you in to each of their own stories, all drawn together by one common theme: their maker. Oh, by the way, their maker is murdered! None of the maker's children seem to like each other, but united in his death, they congregate at the maker's castle to solve the murder. Is the murderer one of their own? Or is the murderer someone who has studied vampires for so long they ...more
Krissys
Feb 11, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: star, featured-books
I want a print copy of this book for my shelves at home. I really enjoyed the whole whodunnit complex mystery built on top of the thoroughly developed characters with such detailed back stories. Fear the Light is a great story that really encompasses Massa's talent for writing really great stories full of excellent detail and depth. I always love me some Dracula and this story puts a whole new spin that hasn't been explored before. Fear the Light is an absolute winner.
Sarah Emily
Dec 09, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I really did enjoy this book. The plot was interesting. I liked hearing the story from multiple points of view. However, the punctuation was a little too much for me. I found a few typos, which us fine. What is not fine is the over use of exclamation points. The novel was intriguing, but please rely more on your words than your exclamation points.
Steve Caldwell
Jun 17, 2018 rated it it was amazing
While a lot of the vampire fiction out today is more urban fantasy than Dracula slays, There are still some original stories being told. This happens to be one of them. It's actually a hybrid of a vampire story mixed with a murder mystery, and it will keep you guessing through to the end.

When Dracula awakens to find himself just before sunrise outside staked to a cross with Silver stakes, he realizes his very long unlife is about to end in pain and misery. When his eight progeny come
Soukyan Blackwood
Oct 29, 2019 rated it it was ok
all reviews in one place:
night mode reading
;
skaitom nakties rezimu

About the Book: Someone is slaying clan vampires, starting with their master, their Creator, the oldest and most powerful vampire alive, formerly, Dracula. Now his clan cowers trapped in their master’s manor in the middle of the day. It was supposed to be a peaceful paying of respects to their late Father in Darkness and someone’s ascension to power, the clan leader position. Instead an invisible force is picking them off one by
Tina
May 14, 2017 rated it liked it
Picked this up for a bit of light reading for a flight. I loved the concept and the characters - I wish we had seen more of each of them before their deaths, to be honest. But overall I thought the execution could have been better. My biggest gripe was the constantly changing POV. We were getting the POV of characters we'd never even heard of before right until the end of the book. It was a bit too disjointed for my liking. The killer was unfortunately obvious from at least halfway through so it ...more
Louis Soler
Nov 18, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Not bad!

I randomly stumbled across this book and decided to check it out since it was a Kindle Unlimited book. This quick read involving vampires being hunted was exciting from start to finish! You will literally be guessing up until the very end! The action and pace never slowed.
Em Taylor
Author is a romantic! Who'd a thunk!

Like the gargoyle books, this stand alone book reveals Mr Massa's romantic side. Not nearly as mushy as those, thankfully. I was hoping for something darker. He does dark well. I might be suffering from author overload. I will read someone else then come back for the other stand alones. X
Richard W Lindsey
Enjoyable Read

Loved the beginning and up to about 68%, then I had figured out who was doing the killing and why and so forth. But like I said it was an interesting read, especially since I rarely read strictly Vampire book.
Susan Matthews
Jan 31, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Fear the Light

I would give this novel 8 stars if I could. A true who done it book. I was completely surprised at the end. I had to make sure I didn't look further down the page when I was reading. It really was a great read.
shannon  Stubbs
Oct 08, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Pretty good

This is a pretty good take on vampires. Usually the vampires are the feared monsters. This time they're the ones being hunted. I liked it. I even liked the main character Vincent, the Texas ranger the vampire, trying to solve the mystery of who is hunting them.
Sharon
Jul 09, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Scary whodunit

DraculA is dead. So the clan gets together and finds itself in trouble. This one is a real page turner.. I just had to find out who and why. Wow
Diane Stevenson
Jul 24, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This is a really unusual story. The vampires are being hunted by a killer! Really enjoyed it. Another fab book from Bill Massa
James  Hilton
May 23, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Fun read

The first book I've read by William Massa but it won't be the last.

The story moves at a good clip and felt like an Agatha Christie with the unread!
FabulousRaye
Yeah, kinda like CLUE with vampires. A bit cliched. It's a fun book. Liked the characters, liked the twist, a short-ish read/listen. (A little over 5 hours on audiobook)
Belinda in Alabama
Good Story

This was a good vampire story but it was short. Traditional vampires fighting among themselves. I would read more books by Mr Massa. Happy Reading.
David
Mar 09, 2017 rated it liked it
3.5 stars; a good, quick and entertaining read.
Cheryl Landmark
Actual Rating: 3.5 Stars

Review to come soon.
Kitty Muse Book Reviews
The unthinkable has happened–the King of the Undead, Dracula, has been exterminated.

Not by the usual means–he’d been looking out for those for centuries, and had always been able to sidestep them. No, his killer was extremely ingenious in the method used to vanquish the oldest vampire in existence.

His offspring gather at his chateau in France to make some important decisions. But as they settle in, the killer strikes again.

Or does he?

The killer def
« previous 1 3 next »

• Desolation
  • Cat's Paw (The Time Corps Chronicles, #2)
  • Doctor Who Encyclopedia
  • The Skeleton Song (The Hollows, #0.5)
  • The Demon You Know (Demon-Hunting Soccer Mom #4.5)
  • The Boat
  • Undead Winter
  • Bloodstone (Deadtown, #3)
  • Jeremy's Choice (The Peeling, #1)
  • Dark Legion (The Lockman Chronicles #2)
  • Scattered (The Nevermore Trilogy, #3.5)
  • Imperfect
  • Z-Burbia (Z-Burbia, #1)
  • Slimy Underbelly (Dan Shamble, Zombie P.I. #4)
  • Foreverland is Dead (Foreverland, #2)
  • The Silo Archipelago
  • Scarlet And Gold
  • Solstice
“Shoulder-length hair framed his intense features - people always mistook him for a musician” 0 likes