Jump to ratings and reviews

Bedside Manners

Brook Ogden has never encountered a broken heart she couldn’t patch together. Her counseling practice as the Breakup Doctor—on call to help you shape up after a breakup—is so busy she’s expanded to offer group sessions. (Turns out there are far more than fifty ways to leave your lover.) Her radio show and advice column have made her a local celebrity, and even her personal life, after some gruesome breakups of her own, is in recovery: Ben Garrett started out as a revenge date against an ex, but has turned into so much more.

But when sizzling-hot Chip Santana, an old client she once shared a rather unprofessional midnight roll in the sand with, comes back into her life asking for her help, Brook can’t say no. Yet while she’s busy stitching up his relationship troubles, Chip reveals much more than a therapeutic interest in her.

In the standoff between her heart and her hormones, Brook’s cool, collected Wise Therapist persona begins to crack like thrown wedding china. She’s yelling at recalcitrant cheating husbands. Offering crazy advice to radio callers. She’s even hugging her clients.

When the situation goes critical, Brook’s forced into a decision she isn’t ready to make—and the Breakup Doctor has to decide what kind of casualties she’s willing to accept.

266 pages, Paperback

Published March 24, 2015

Loading interface...
Loading interface...

About the author

Phoebe Fox

19 books259 followers
Author Phoebe Fox has been a contributor and regular columnist for a number of national, regional, and local publications, including the Huffington Post, Elite Daily, and She Knows. A former actor on stage and screen, Phoebe has been suspended from wires as a mall fairy; was accidentally concussed by a blank gun; and hosted a short-lived game show. She has been a relationship columnist; a movie, theater, and book reviewer; and a radio personality, and is a close observer of relationships in the wild. She currently lives in Austin, Texas, with her husband and two excellent dogs.

Ratings & Reviews

What do you think?

Friends & Following

Create a free account to discover what your friends think of this book!

5 stars
Displaying 1 - 30 of 42 reviews
Profile Image for Jenna.
589 reviews35 followers
March 14, 2015
I'm not married. I don't date (anymore). In fact, I'm quite happily single. I think that's why I can (somewhat) successfully give relationship advice to others. In my dating days, I was always at a loss about what to do or say or how to act; but I could always provide advice to others. In that way, I can relate to Brook Ogden. She's admired and respected in her professional life as The Breakup Doctor, and yet, in her own love life, she's all over the place. It makes for entertaining reading and Bedside Manners, as a result, is hard to put down. As each chapter came to a close, I always wanted to keep reading, curious to see just what trouble Brook was going to get into or how she was going to get out of it!

Bedside Manners is funny and smart, full of moments that will make you laugh out loud or cringe or even cry. But through it all, you'll cheer for Book and you'll smile when she pulls through with a little help from her friends (and family).

Bedside Manners features a pair of sexy love interests for Brook, but the one who captured my heart was Jake, the "giant lapdog" who Brook meets though Ben. I don't want to ruin the read by giving away too many plot details, so I will just say that I really respect the way Bedside Manners wraps up for now. There is a lot to admire in Brook - and in Phoebe Fox.

My thanks to the good hens at Henery Press for providing me with a free copy of Bedside Manners in exchange for an honest review.
Profile Image for Paula  Phillips.
4,756 reviews284 followers
August 27, 2017
Brooke Odgen's new practice as The BreakUp Doctor is going well and life seems to be finally heading in the right direction as she has a good steady boyfriend Ben who is finally a good one, not like the jerks Michael and Kendall. The thing is though that it looks like Brooke is about to sabotage what's good in her life with a bad decision. Chip Santana was one of Brooke's previous patients, but after his anger problem and closeness which resulted in a one night stand and jail, she referred him to another therapist. Now Chip is back in Brooke's life and seems that he wants to stay and Brooke being naive believes he has changed and wanted to get better with her help. I have to admit for Brooke - Chip Santana is her kryptonite, her weakness as he may be hot but reckless. As the book goes along, we read as Brooke seems to juggle Chip and Ben, but what will happen when Ben says "I Love You" to Brooke and she can't respond? He walks out, and this ends in her having another one night stand with none other than Chip Santana. Is this the end of her relationship with Ben? Is The BreakUp Doctor sabotaging her happiness? Find out in Bedside Manners, Book #2 in the BreakUp Doctor series. A light-hearted chick lit romance/ relationship novel.
Profile Image for Cuppa.
107 reviews4 followers
December 12, 2014
I did not read The Break Up Doctor, the book that precedes Bedside Manners but I have really enjoyed all the Henery Press books I've read, so when I saw this on Net Galley I decided to give it a try. Henery Press mostly does mysteries but Bedside Manners is a chick lit novel. I tend to either really love or really hate chick lit. Some times I find chick lit heroines to be ridiculously whiny, self centered and surrounded by secondary characters of the cardboard cut out type. Fortunately, this was not one of those books and Brook was not one of those heroines. Sure she was flawed but in a way that I could relate, even though, thank goodness, I haven't had the kind of horrible break up experiences that she's had. One of her biggest flaws is that she can't help reaching out to people in pain. So no self centered heroine here. The book focuses on Brook's relationship with her mother, her first group therapy patients, her boyfriend and one former client that she just can't resist trying to help again. I enjoyed traveling with Brook through her triumphs and tribulations. I wad sorry to reach the last page and can't wait for the next book so I can hang out with Brook a again.
Profile Image for Lauri Rottmayer.
Author 2 books10 followers
January 24, 2015
I loved this book just like I loved the first book in the Breakup Doctor series.

This book is a continuation of Brook Ogden's life and growing her new Breakup Doctor practice. Brook really grew in this book along with her practice and it was fun to watch. I loved her new group idea and the characters that were in the group, seeing them solve their problems. Watching the relationship between her best friend, Sasha and her brother, Stu was good, too.

Brook has some of her own breakup issues in this book and I hope the third book will bring her back to Ben who seemed to be the perfect guy for her.

Great book. Great series. Two thumbs up! :-)

Profile Image for Jody.
331 reviews113 followers
March 29, 2015
Review first posted on my blog: http://spoonfulofhappyendings.blogspo...

After surviving her own devastating break-up, Brook Ogden has managed to start up her own successful business as the Breakup doctor; there to help others to get through any kind of relationship break-up. Next to her own weekly radio show and an advice column, Brook is now also planning on organising her own group therapy sessions and she can’t wait to help others with their relationship troubles. However, Brook also has her own love life to deal with. She’s dating the lovely Ben and after meeting his dog Jake and his mother Adelaide, Brook has a good feeling about their future together. Until one of her old clients, Chip Santana, gets back in touch with her and asks Brook for her help so he can finally deal with his previous break-ups. Brook still feels some heat between Chip and her and she knows she should avoid him, but somehow she can’t say no. Brook will need to make some important decisions in her life, which requires her to not just focus on other people’s troubles in love, but her own as well...

‘Bedside Manners’ is the second part of Phoebe Fox’s ‘The Breakup Doctor’ series and from the first few chapters I loved once again having a story starring protagonist Brook Ogden to get stuck in. The author really managed to create a great cast of fascinating characters in the first novel, and I loved reading more about them and their adventures. I found it incredibly easy to warm to Brook; she’s a flawed heroine, but this makes her realistic, relatable and I could just easily imagine being friends with her. The book includes some other lovely characters such as the lovely Ben (the guy Brook is dating) and Brook’s best friend Sasha, but if I have to name one character that stole my heart it has to be Ben’s dog, Jake. He was just incredibly crazy and sweet, and I just fell in love with him (and I’m not even a dog person!).

Phoebe Fox’s writing is perfect for a chick lit novel and I really enjoyed her style; it’s really easy to get into, detailed enough, funny in the right places, and just flows incredibly well. I loved the fact that there were separate storylines to focus on, such as Brook’s love life and her new group therapy sessions, but also her relationship with her mother and the new love between her best friend Sasha and brother Stu. I personally prefer to always read the first book in a series first, but I suppose you can also jump into the story without any trouble by picking up this novel first instead. The ending of the story definitely leaves room for a third novel, so I’m keeping my fingers crossed for that. Overall, ‘Bedside Manners’ is a wonderful second part of this thoroughly entertaining chick lit series; an entertaining and fun read which comes highly recommended!
Profile Image for Silvana.
227 reviews30 followers
January 25, 2015
Brook, the breakup doctor goes on where she stopped. Everything is great in her life: she is successful, her breakup therapy is on top, she is in relationship with Ben. Yes, that cute, quiet and sincere man, who she meets in hospital. As I say the breakup therapy is great Brook is guest on radio emission, her column is very well taken by readers and it’s very popular and she runs group therapy- that’s new. Perfect isn’t it! But… Chip Santana, her previous client is here and he wants help. Messing with her and her life he will bring something that even the breakup doctor couldn’t resolve it.
Beginning is calm and right, it’s about Brook helping her clients, so it seems it will take till the end, but how the pages was turned I was caught and when the end comes I was amazed and I don’t want to stop reading , I want it more. Let me explain closer, I don’t be bored by the beginning contrary I read and I remember what happen in the previous book. This was perfect beginning for second book calm without any twists and turns.
Brook is perfectionist, she needs to be sure for things to goes serious, but she is human too. Her needs to help people will cost her.
Sasha and Stu are perfect match, I adore them. They love each other and they experimenting with new stuff in their relationship, just not to be bored.
All in this book is perfect; the plot- very interesting, characters- unique, the end- intense little bit then- boom! So I highly recommend it!!!
This book was provided by NetGalley in exchange for honest review.
My rating 5/5(amazing).
Books are my life
Profile Image for Chris  C - A Midlife Wife.
1,471 reviews260 followers
May 14, 2015
This is the second book about the Breakup Doctor, aka, Brook, the first one being named The Breakup Doctor which came out last year. As with most series, sometimes you miss a few things about what happened in previous novels and while I did not read the first book, I did not feel I missed anything pertinent to this storyline.

This book packs in a lot of good things – humor, funny scenes, some crazy patients, the hard truth, and an all over good read. I enjoyed the writing style of the author. This book is easy to read and very entertaining. The main character is very human and works on trying to figure out her life while helping others too. The ending, well, I was not amused. I really did not think it would end like that. Ugh! But then again, it means a sequel must be in the works!

For an entertaining read, this series is fun, a bit crazy, and perfect for a lazy afternoon. Bedside Manners is one to check out and enjoy!

Read more at http://twoclassychics.com/2015/03/bed...
Profile Image for Jill.
Author 3 books67 followers
January 3, 2015
Fantastic!
I really loved this book- even more than the first novel in this series. Brook has clearly grown since the last book, and it was interesting to see Sasha and Stu's relationship as well. Even more so, I thought the ending was very realistic (which is how I judge a lot of books). I would definitely recommend this to anyone who reads women's fiction, or even Young Adult. Not because the subject matter is at all "immature", quite the opposite in fact, but because I think the main character and her life is something a lot of females can relate to.
Profile Image for Debbie.
1,751 reviews96 followers
March 24, 2015
I actually gave this book 4 1/2 stars on sites that would allow it.

loved this book! It was much better than the first in the series as I think Brook is growing up and becoming a little smarter. Well, except for the Chip thing. Ha!! I loved the group sessions antics and the stories. And Sasha, she is hilarious. A light hearted, easy to read, and entertaining read that definitely gives you your money's worth. I highly recommend it!

Thanks Henery Press and Net Galley for providing me this e-galley in exchange for an honest review.
Profile Image for Kim.
1,977 reviews49 followers
September 28, 2017
This was the first book i'd read by Phoebe Fox, although this is the second in a series. I would be keen to read more by Phoebe.
Brook has a counselling practice called Break Up Doctors where she now runs group sessions which are written with great humour and great characters.She also features on radio shows and she is moving on with her life.
This was a nice light read with many amusing moments. The characters are wonderfully drawn and keep you turning the pages.
Very glad that I got the chance to read this one.
Profile Image for HENERY PRESS PUBLISHING.
147 reviews60 followers
Read
July 27, 2017
“As heartwarming as they are is humorous—Fox’s books offer more than the usual chick lit fare, with a lot of heart and a smart, relatable heroine in Breakup Doctor Brook Ogden.”—Sarah Bird, Author of The Boyfriend School and Gap Year
Profile Image for Tamara.
944 reviews242 followers
March 24, 2015
Review Originally Posted:Traveling With T

Traveling With T requested this book via Netgalley for review consideration.

Bedside Manners

Brook Ogden, the therapist we met in THE BREAKUP DOCTOR, is back! People are still breaking up and Brook is still helping them- via radio, group therapy and occasionally diving into help in a more hands-on role.

Brook is pretty happy- she’s dating Ben, her work is going well and her best friend, Sasha, is finally in a good relationship! (The only teensy flaw is that it’s with Stu, Brook’s brother, and sometimes she craves girl time with Sasha).

But, things are pretty much coming up roses for Brook. Until… Chip, the sexy as hell bad boy from the previous book rears his head again. He connects with Brook in a semi-professional way- attempting to trying to make things from his past right. Along the way, he reveals a less than professional interest in Brook- and that leaves Brook in a bind. She’s involved with a man that is everything she should want and yet is attracted to another man.

Brook finds out quickly that Pat Benatar is right and that “love is a battlefield”- and has to make some hard choices that have long term consequences. Is a happy ending in Brook’s future- and if so, will it look like what she thinks it should?

Traveling With T’s Thoughts:

Ahh, Phoebe Fox- you do it again! Your second book is so cute!

So, first things first- the cover! I really enjoy Phoebe’s covers- they are fun, bright and fresh looking!

On to the story: Brook is not a character that does things the easy way. She’s got to fully break-down in a million pieces- and then she picks herself up. Part of the book focuses on her relationship with her mom- why it’s not as good as Brook wishes. Her mother leaves her with some advice that makes Brook think on things- and helps clarify her current romantic struggles.

And Sasha- Brook’s bestie. Sasha is loveable, Sasha sees things that Brook is unwilling to admit- and while she could have said “I told you so”- that’s not Sasha’s style. She’s there for Brook- through the good and the bad.

I really liked the whole Stu/Sasha relationship. Sasha is proof that kissing a ton of frogs will lead to your happy place!

Brook, even though she did make mistakes in BEDSIDE MANNERS, did show some growth and I’m eager to see where Phoebe takes her in the next book!

Are you looking for a fun and cute book? Something that is a nice and easy read? Put BEDSIDE MANNERS on your reading list!

*Traveling With T requested a copy via Netgalley from Henery Press. All thoughts and opinions are mine alone.

Happy Reading and Bookishly Yours,

T @ Traveling With T
Profile Image for Suze.
1,878 reviews1,311 followers
October 20, 2015
Brook Ogden's success as The Breakup Doctor is increasing. She's doing really well professionally and she's developed her own unique style of counselling. On a personal level things are a bit more complicated. Brook's best friend is dating her brother, so now she needs to share both of them. Brook's relationship with her mother isn't as she wishes it to be and Brook misses that very much. There is a new man in her life, Brook is dating the wonderful Ben, but she doesn't know if it's serious yet or not. And then there's Chip, a former client who has anger management problems, but who's great to look at. What is Brook going to do about all of this, will she be able to find happiness professionally and emotionally?

What I liked about Bedside Manners is that it's analytical and insightful while at the same time there's a really good story. I loved the relationship advice and talk and think Phoebe Fox manages to go as deep as possible without ever becoming incomprehensible. I think that's an amazing achievement. I love that she explains everything so well and I learned a lot from this book, about men, mothers, relationships in general and about getting to know yourself. I like this style very much, it's both readable and intelligent which is a great combination.

Brook is pretty impulsive and that makes the story fun. I couldn't wait to see what she would do next. She often says and does things before she thinks them through which leads to interesting situations. I often had to laugh out loud and several times I wanted to talk some sense into her. Brook is fantastic and I love reading about her life and relationships. She often makes a mess of things, but in the end she knows what's important and she learns a lot about herself. Not everything has to go well, it can also go wrong. It was great to see her deal with her mistakes. She faces them and doesn't run away. I think Bedside Manners is a fabulous sequel and I can't wait to read more about Brook's life. I will keep following this fantastic series.
Profile Image for Susan (The Book Bag).
777 reviews67 followers
March 25, 2015
I loved book #1, The Breakup Doctor and was so excited to see that there was going to be a book #2. Bedside Manners is a great follow-up that takes us back to Brook's world, where we get to learn even more about her life.

Brook is a very likable character and she has a great sense of humor, a very gentle kind of humor, which we get to see throughout the story. She decides to start a support group for people with relationship problems. Those sessions were some of the best parts of the book - what great characters and situations! Brook dispenses such great advice and words of wisdom throughout the book.

'"I've fought some of the same battles a lot of you are facing," I went on. "And I still am, and I'll probably fight more in the future. But this last time through the wringer I learned that you can't keep it all bottled up - you have to let it out. And you can't do it alone - you have to be brave enough to share it with people who care about you. You have to let yourself be vulnerable enough to accept help. I hope that's part of what we're able to offer one another as we work through our situations in here."'

She is great at helping people and giving them good advice but she is human, and stuggles with relationships in her own life. She is torn between Chip and Ben and watching the struggle between her heart and hormones makes this story loads of fun.

'I could help people. But there were only so many hours in a day - and I still had to leave time for a life of my own, or I'd have nothing to offer anyone else.'

I loved that Brook grew as a person in this story as she learned so much about herself, as well as helping other people figure themselves out. I really hope we will get to see more of Brook in the future, she has so much to teach us all.

'... sometimes you have to get a little crazy to move past a broken heart...'
Profile Image for Alba.
490 reviews96 followers
April 6, 2015
Originally posted on: http://www.albainbookland.com/2015/04...

Bedside Manners is the second book in the Breakup Doctor Series. Although I think it would work well as a stand-alone, the story is quite independent to the first book and any past references are explained in the story. I myself had read the first book and had actually not really warmed to Brook, the Breakup Doctor and main character in both books, but in this second book I saw her in a whole new light and liked a lot more this new version of hers.

Brook, after starting her new adventure as the the Breakup Doctor and after leaving behind all the craziness of her last breakup is a lot more mature and in control of her life. She might even be ready for love again. And the lovely Ben seems the perfect candidate to hold her heart. I really enjoyed reading about their dates. But then, when everything seems to go perfectly well... Chip, who we met in the first book as a sexy ex patient, is back and is apparently ready for love too! I was totally #teamben though. But the real star of the book for me was Jake, Ben's dog. I fell in love with this gently giant! If you love a good dog character, I'm sure you'll enjoy reading about this lovely fella.

Although I was not convinced I liked the ending, I have to say that Bedside Manners is a highly entertaining read, light and fast to read that I am sure will make you laugh more than once. I am looking forward to next installment of the series now.
Profile Image for Emma.
42 reviews
April 16, 2015
Brooke Ogden is a therapist specializing in relationships. She is known as the Break-Up Doctor. With encouragement from her friends and her new, amazing boyfriend, she expands her business to meeting with groups of people who are all going through something different in regards to relationships. Brooke has grown a lot since the first book, she is much more mature, has more of a handle on her own life and her decisions, and gives much better advice. But her past comes crawling back… and his name is Chip.
Chip is from the first book and was the reason for many of her outlandish behaviors that got her into trouble. She agrees to help him reconcile his past relationships, taking a risk knowing he is still into her and she somehow is still attracted to him. But, nothing can come in between her and her new love, can it?
There are very few times I have been able to say this, but I loved the second book MORE than the first. Brooke is so much more relatable in this book. The group sessions she leads are hilarious and her real life problems are much more realistic than the first book. Her friends and family add a perfect element to the book and balance out her romance life. I would recommend reading the first book before reading this, but it is not necessary. Great book – one of my favorites of the year! The book ended leading me to think there could be a third – crossing my fingers! Grab a copy of Bedside Manners today!
Profile Image for Heather Balog.
Author 21 books134 followers
January 21, 2015
I received this book from NetGalley in exchange for an honest review. I confess that I have not read the first in the series of this book, so I was a little behind. Yet I felt like the characters were easy to acclimate to and had no problem getting into the story. Ms. Fox did a superb job at introducing them without shoving all their backgrounds at you at once. I liked their flaws, their imperfections and found them to be endearing. The writing was fresh and I found myself literally LOL at times. I loved Phoebe Fox's writing style and it's very similar to the style I use myself when writing chick lit.
My favorite part about this book is that it didn't have the typical chick lit "Everything is awesome" ending that they usually have. I liked that Brook didn't get everything she wanted and that she did learn some things along the way. I realize that it's a series and this was the perfect way to wrap up a book in a series. Very realistic and humorous...I would highly recommend for a fun, lighthearted read.
Profile Image for Laura.
2,556 reviews
March 25, 2015
Breakup Doctor is Back!
This is a great book; this is the second book in the Breakup Doctor Series by Phoebe Fox. This can be read as a standalone, but it would be best to read the first book just so you can get to know the characters from the beginning. Brook is known as the Breakup Doctor, she helps people deal with breakups. She has so many clients that she ends up offering group sessions. The people who show up for the group could not be any different from each other. Brook is still having her own relationship issues with her current boyfriend Ben, and then her old client Chip comes back into her life. I enjoy all of the characters in this book, and love how these situations can really end up happening for someone in real life. I am looking forward to reading the next book in this series, and I hope that Brook can find peace in her relationships including her parents. I highly recommend this series.
A Review copy was provided to me in exchange for a fair and honest review. The free book held no determination on my personal review.
Profile Image for Leslie aka StoreyBook Reviews.
2,289 reviews113 followers
March 15, 2015
This is the follow up to The Breakup Doctor which came out last year. There are several return characters which rounds out the story.

This book continues Brook's new practice as the "Breakup Doctor". She starts a support group with a motley group of individuals that add some humor to the story. Brook may be helping them but her life is a shambles and sometimes the doctor can't fix themselves. She has to learn how to trust herself and not worry about the past. She has to figure out what she wants from her love life.

I enjoyed this continuation in the series. There are lots of funny spots, especially when you put Sasha and Stu into the situation. A girl has to have a BFF and Sasha is it. Of course Brook doesn't want to hear about the intimate side since Stu is her brother.

The book leaves it where there needs to be another book to find out if Brook learned anything in this book. Can't wait to see how the author resolves Brook's love life!
Profile Image for Heather Francey.
6 reviews3 followers
February 8, 2015
I received a free copy of this book through netgallery.com I loved this book. I did not read the first one but it was easy enough to follow. I will be reading the first one since I loved this book so much. At first it started off a little weird and I thought what the heck is this book about but then I kept reading and I was hooked.
Profile Image for Toni.
1,323 reviews39 followers
June 8, 2015
In the previous book in the Breakup Doctor series, Brook Lyn Ogden had just begun a relationship with Ben Garrett. So, this book starts off with Brook Lyn focusing on her relationship with Ben. Ben suggests she take on a sort of public speaking role and thus starts a Breakup Doctor support group. It has a rocky start since no one really knows each other and not many wanted to share their relationship exploits in a group setting. Brook spends much of the book working on this endeavor. And when she's not doing her column, radio show or support group, she is trying to take care of Ben's dog, Jake, who is quite a needy canine as well as a big scene stealer. And then there is the case of Sacha and her brother getting together.

Of course, you knew Brook had to do something silly to endanger her relationship with Ben and than is when Chip Santana once again enters the picture. Can you hear the "dum, dum, dum, dum?" What dumb thing will Brooke do because of this dude? You know it's coming. Sort of like a trainwreck. Chip returns from book one. He is the 40-year-old perpetually young-acting bartender who stays up at all hours of the night and has the hots for Brook. He claims he just wants to work with Brook again by setting right old wrongs. Is she really that blind? Apparently, yes.

The moment Brook finally gets together with Ben sexually, Chip sends her a midnight text and it sort of  sends her relationship with Ben spiraling into oblivion. Then she begins to realize what she is losing... the ADHD dog, Jake, whom she's come to love, Ben, whom she is sure she loves (now after the fact) and Ben's mom, who possesses all the qualities she ever wanted in a mother.

Better get some hanky's ready for this one, folks. You're gonna need them. I did some ugly crying at then end. The book always keeps you guessing what Brook will do and who is going to win her heart in the end. The ending will keep you hoping for another book in the series. And I have it on good authority that book 3 is finished and there is a book 4 in the works. Yay!

4 Stars

I received this as an ARC (Advanced Reader Copy) from Net Galley. I thank Net Galley, the publisher, Henery Press and the author, Phoebe Fox for allowing me to read this title.
Profile Image for Jencey/.
774 reviews6 followers
June 16, 2015
Bedside Manners is the second book in The Breakup Doctor Series by Phoebe Fox. Thank you to the author and Henery Press for an advanced readers copy in exchange for an honest review. Bedside Manners is the continuing story of Brook Ogden, Breakup Doctor. Her continuing journey of helping to heal the broken-hearted. Is she able to handle her own breakup dilemmas, or is she a prime example of ‘those who can’t do teach’?

Synopsis:

Brook Ogden’s continuing quest to help people navigate breakups. Her services run the gamut from going over the million and one reasons the relationship did not work out, confiscating cell phones and computers, and with the occasional supportive stalking thrown in for special cases. As she becomes more popular, she decides to add group sessions to her plate. At the same time, she is juggling her own relationships. She has a boyfriend, Ben, who understands the time necessary to nurture her clients. He may not be as understanding if he knew that one of her clients wants to be more than therapist/client with Brook. Her parents may or may not be breaking up. Her best friend is dating her brother. With all of this going on, lines get blurred. Is she helping her group participants work through their own relationship post mortems? Or is she finally acknowledging that she has quite the baggage to deal with on her own?

My Thoughts:

Reading The Breakup Doctor is not required to read Bedside Manners, but I highly recommend doing so because both books were such fun to read! I love when the main character gets more and more comfortable in her skin. Brook is funny, usually unintentionally, smart, and just on the cusp of making all the pieces of her life fit. Her discovery that she is just like the people she helps makes her even more likeable. I loved Bedside Manners, and cannot wait to see what happens with Brook and company next!

Profile Image for Nash Norden.
296 reviews37 followers
April 16, 2015
This book is the continuation of Breakup Doctor. Brook's breakup counseling is going great. With her own radio show and advice column, Brook is now a local celebrity. Her business is doing great, and so is her love life.

I love Bedside Manners a bit more than the first book, The Breakup Doctor. Probably because I am used to Brook's character. I'm glad that her life is doing great after her breakup in the first book. I enjoy reading about Brook's relationship with Ben. But, there are times when I feel like I want to smack Brook for doing something stupid. Ugh!

I'm glad to see that Sasha is back. She sounds more composed now that she is in a new relationship. There are a few more interesting characters in Brook's counseling group. I thoroughly enjoy reading about the counseling group as well as her radio show. They were super fun! There are lots of interesting breakup and relationship problems that Brook has to deal with.

Bedside Manners are a light, fun read packed with tons of funny moments and romance, Although this is the second book of the series, Bedside Manners can be read as a standalone. I wasn't a big fan of how the book ended, but I guess, there will be a continuation to the series. I hope to see a lot more of Brook and her interesting patients.

I received a copy of this book from the author to provide an honest review.
Profile Image for Pamela.
683 reviews17 followers
March 6, 2015
Bedside Manners is the second book in the Breakup Doctor chick lit series. It is a well written and professionally edited, full length novel.

Brook is a relationship therapist that has trouble maintaining healthy relationships for herself. She has finally met a good man and is falling in love, but she engages in the same destructive behaviors that she counsels her patients to avoid. Frankly, in Florida, her license would have been revoked if her behavior had been reported to the licensing board.

I had anticipated reading about Brook growing as a person and she did make some progress with family, but she has become much too self destructive for my tastes. It tainted my enjoyment of the story.

If you are interested in a technically good book and don't share my dislike of self destructive characters, then I can highly recommend this book and series. It just wasn't my cup of tea.

ARC provided by Henery Press via Netgalley.
Profile Image for Nikki Bywater.
406 reviews13 followers
February 21, 2016
The breakup doctor is back. In the second book of the series Brook Ogden's relationship therapy sessions have really taken off now and she is now holding group counselling sessions to a great mix of different people, all with one thing in common… They are in desperate need of help with their love lives and it is up to Brook to take on the challenge and help them through their relationship issues. Only her own relationship status is just as complication and she is confused and torn between two men, dependable Ben who she feels would be her perfect match and finding herself drawn to undependable Chip who could bring even more complications to add to the calamity.

This is a nice and easy read. Hilarious in parts and with some fantastic characters who really make the story a lively and good read. You do not have to read the first book in the series but I recommend that you do as that is also a fabulous read.
Profile Image for Julia .
1,298 reviews9 followers
February 23, 2016
Brook Ogden, the expert in all things relationship ending, returns in another fun chick lit read by Phoebe Fox. Brook continues to expand her Breakup Doctor practice and in addition to individual counseling, takes on a therapy group to see if they can relate to one another and help each other too. In her personal life, the very stable Ben Garrett, (and his dog and mother), continue to help Brook move on from her own disastrous almost-wedding. In her professional life, taking on bad-boy Chip Santana, pro-bono, may or may not be a good move. I forgot how much fun this series is. Brook’s family relationships could almost encompass a book on their own. Her parents’ Sunday dinners, her brother and best friend dating—Brook has very real life challenges and experiences with all of them.
Profile Image for Fiona Wilson.
Author 2 books52 followers
February 6, 2016
I started this book immediately after finishing book 1.

This book is as well written as the first, and equally as funny. In fact a few of the scenes throughout this book are even funnier. All I will say is that the scenes with Chip in them are very humorous. He is quite a character.

The scenes with the characters in Brook's group sessions are really well done. Everyone involved in the group has their own problems to share, and they are all looking for advice from Brook. But with the sessions not always going as planned, we get to see sides to the characters we don't expect. For me the group experiences are some of the best parts of this book.

Another good read, with humour throughout, bring on book three.
Profile Image for Edythe.
331 reviews2 followers
December 2, 2016
Brooke, The Breakup Doctor, is back on the scene giving relationship advice to those in need. Brooke’s life seems to be in order and her friend Sacha has calmed down quite a bit.

Jake, Brooke’s dog, seems as though he is one of the main characters in this second installment of the series. I like dogs as much as the next person, but I felt there was excess discussion about him, which caused me to stop reading the novel.

I truly enjoyed Bedside Manners more than this second book of the series. I recommend this book to persons interested in genres related to dating, relationship advice, and love of dogs.

I received this book from the Net Galley Reviewer Program in exchange for an unbiased opinion.
Profile Image for Kat.
530 reviews80 followers
November 10, 2015
Bedside Manners is the second book in the Break up doctor series and I have to admit to enjoying this book more than the first, as Phoebe went into more detail and more happened with the main character Brook. My favorite characters have got to be Sasha and Stuart who are Brook’s best friend and brother. They are always there for Brook, and don’t judge her on the choices she makes or the flaws she has. I’m looking forward to reading Heart Conditions the third in the series.

Thanks goes to Net Galley & the publishers for providing me with a free copy in exchange for an honest review.
Profile Image for Densie.
Author 13 books496 followers
May 29, 2015
This is the second installment of the Breakup Doctor series and I think it was even better than the first! Therapist Brook Ogden hands out advice to the lovelorn on a daily basis, but can't seem to take her own advice to heart and finds herself in "interesting" situations where her own love life is concerned. While the book is a fun read, there's also some serious underlying themes about the mistakes women make in the name of love—and lust. Highly Recommended!
Displaying 1 - 30 of 42 reviews

Can't find what you're looking for?

Get help and learn more about the design.