Start by marking “Rebel (Vicky Peterwald, #3)” as Want to Read:
Rebel (Vicky Peterwald, #3)

Rebel (Vicky Peterwald #3)

3.98  ·  Rating details ·  422 Ratings  ·  32 Reviews
Vicky Peterwald is no longer just the heir apparent to an imperial dynasty. She survived naval training and proved her mettle in combat to help the starving people of the ravaged world of St. Petersburg. Now, she is truly a Grand Duchess, leading a growing battle fleet in a rebellion against the tyranny of her stepmother, the Empress.

Determined to stop her spoiled stepdaug
349 pages
Published June 21st 2016 (first published May 31st 2016)

To ask other readers questions about Rebel, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Rebel

eyes.2c
The Grand Duchess takes charge!

I am in two minds about this spinoff from the Kris Longknife series. More a Gilbert and Sullivan space operetta than a grand space opera. In the end, I did like it.
I did find the dialogue straying perilously close to wooden, if not verging on something from a B grade detective novel. Sometimes I felt like I was reading the cartoon balloons from a Superhero graphic novel.
Her Imperial Grace, The Grand Duchess, Lieutenant Comander Victoria of Greenfield, otherwise kn
Jon Abbott
Mike Shepherd's plotting has returned to its prior standard. However, he still needs an editor to chop out repetitive parts and force MS to come up with different military scenarios. The main plot line here is resolved; the ongoing story of Ms. Peterwald's growing up and fixing her Daddy's realm is not wrapped up. Many more books to go, I expect.

This is a review of the audio version.
Tim
Sep 21, 2016 rated it liked it
Still far too much "What would Kris Longknife do", and an anticlimactic ending that pulls its punches let down an otherwise enjoyable book.
Steven Allen
This last book in the this series was ok. Lighter Space Opera, more Gilbert and Sullivan rather than something harder and darker. I am glad to see Vicky grow up some, cease flaunting her sexuality and think before she acts. I hope that Vicky and Kris get time for some girl talk, because Vicky really needs to apologize to Kris for stabbing her in the back after what was left of the ships of the Voyage of Discovery returned.
Neal bravin
Jun 01, 2016 rated it really liked it
As a big fan of Kris Longknife,, having an "opposite" in the Greenfield Empire adds a nice twist over the series. Having Vicki grow into a Peterwald version of Kris was inevitable. As much as she protests, kicking and screaming, she also admits just how much she has "learned" from that damn Longknife. If the battles and dialogue seem familiar, they are after all a kind of shadow of Kris' earlier adventures. That takes nothing away from this story and I am guessing leads right up to the next Kris ...more
Jo  (Mixed Book Bag)
In the latest Vicki Peterwald spin off from the Kris Longknife series we see Vicki gathering support against the coming battle with her stepmother. There is a lot of action and a really good supporting cast most of which survived this time. A fun space opera series with an ending that lets fans know that there will be more to come.
Renee Rearden
Rebel is Rebelling

So, I checked out Target and Rebel from the library without realizing Rebel is book three in the series. I started the novel and wondered why we weren't beginning planet side and Vicky convincing the mayor, Mannie, to participate in her trade idea that could save several planets and possibly millions of lives. Good plot idea (book 2 go figure), but we started with the trading agreement in place after some time had passed and Vicky's roving libido, er eyes, having found a new ta
Robin
Apr 11, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: kindle
What is it about being a princess or grand duchess that makes everyone want to kill Kris and Vicky? They seem to get into and out of more scrapes than any one person should have to outside of a Matthew Reilly novel.

Both of these series keep up with the entertainment value and still stay readable and enjoyable. I look forward to future installments for Vicky and Kris and hope their paths continue to cross. Makes for a infinitely more interesting universe.
Freyja
Nov 21, 2017 rated it really liked it
This time there's more ship battles and some more assassination attempts, not to mention more meetings and proof Vicky knows business. Vicky is a Peterwald with a heart and her word can be trusted, unusual in the family. Then there's the Empress, who could use some serious anger management.
Michel Sizaire
May 19, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I love the humor that is sprinkled through the story
Tina
Battle scenes were good, but not very graphic. Romance was very light. Need to read the previous books to truly understand the political and personal dynamics between the characters.
Joe
Nov 16, 2017 rated it really liked it
Learning that she is made of better stuff.
Vicky Peterwald has proved herself usefull.
Read this one soon.
E.
Jan 07, 2017 rated it really liked it

“Vicky Peterwald: Rebel” by Mike Shepherd provides the next chapter in the ongoing saga of Grand Duchess Vicky Peterwald, following her as she rebels against the depredations and machinations of her evil stepmother. Learning how to juggle the responsibilities of her roles in the military and in the monarchy while trying to keep safe all of those both on planets and in space will require ingenuity and determination, and staying alive long enough to see things through…with a little help f
Barb Lie
Jun 18, 2016 rated it liked it
Rebel by Mike Shepherd is the the 3rd book in his Vickie Peterwald series. This series was a different type of read for me. It is sort of sci fi space series with ships, planets and military. Vicky Peterwald is our heroine, having been introduced in Shepherd’s famous Kris Longknife series. The premise of this story has Vicky, now the Grand Duchess, Lieutenant Commander Victoria of Greefield gathering the Navy and other planets to support her rebellion again her step mother, The Empress, who is ...more
Jean
Jun 22, 2016 rated it liked it
In the prior two books Lieutenant Commander Vicky Greenwald had gone from a spoiled brat to a Naval officer. She fought to help the starving people of the planet St. Petersburg and its neighboring planets.

Vicky’s stepmother has gained control of the Peterwald Empire. Vicky has put together a battle fleet from the oppressed nations and peoples and has set out to stop her stepmother. Her stepmother has also put together her own fleet to stop the uprising lead by Vicky and to kill her. At times the
Michael
Aug 11, 2016 rated it it was amazing
This is the 3rd book in the Vicky Peterwald trilogy by Mike Shepherd. In this one Vicky realizes that she has no other choice but to lead a rebellion against her stepmother the Empress and her family. Her father the Emperor has ordered her home and she knows that her stepmother will have her killed if she complies. Having been recently kidnapped by her stepmother's henchmen and the escaping she has her friends and a doctor make her injuries look more severe than they really and pleads that she i ...more
Laz the Sailor
Nov 13, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: scifi
This is the last book in the Vicky Peterwald arc, and the story is completed in Kris Longknife: Bold. The writing and characters are familiar, maybe too familiar.

This is a build-up and transition book, you can't start either series here. However, it brings together several threads and sets the scene for the final chapter. There is the usual combination of politics, warfare, and crazy family members.

The biggest negative is that there is too much or Kris here, even though she never makes an appear
Tony Hisgett
Jul 27, 2016 rated it liked it
I like this series and I enjoyed this book but there are things that I found a bit irritating. I suppose it was inevitable that Vicki would turn into a clone of Kris, but couldn’t she keep at least some of her own personality, even her sex life has turned into the straight monogamous copy of Kris’s.
Secondly the whole book was building up to a big space battle between Vicki and the Empress, but what we got was a bit of an anticlimax. A lot of plans were made to counter the Empress’s superior forc
D.F. Haley
Jun 20, 2016 rated it liked it
if Kris Longknife is the goodie-twoshoes, then Vickie Peterwald is her slutty sister. This was a fun trivial summer read. But, I do think the author has his work cut out trying to keep his two heroines differentiated. Especially, as Vickie matures toward more responsible, less outrageous and less fun behavior (just like Kris).
Anand Chelian
This is a putative adult growing up under pressure. And she does grow up with a large dose of native intelligence and a harsh dose of on the job military training.

The book is not for everyone, and I don’t find the main character particularly symphathetic, but I still enjoyed it.
Glen
May 24, 2016 rated it really liked it
Vicky's personality is coming along nicely, but the story itself is unfortunately not that thrilling. About 25% of the book is devoted to detailed space battle descriptions, which don't interest me much.
Michael Rutkowski
Typically good military scifi continues in this the final book of three in this side series ! The ending folds this story back into the main Kris Longknife series and I look forward to the next book continuing this story line along with new ones !
Warren
Jul 24, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Riveting

What is next for poor Vickie? While some of the story is predictable it is still an excellent read, and Vickie is not the incurable sl#t that she is often made out to be and has a brain in her head. Waiting for the next installment.
Lars Klander
Excellent work as always

Another solid offering in the Longknife universe. The protagonist is growing up fast but I suspect is far from living a quiet life. Solid politics, space battles, and intrigue. Well done!
Kathleen Kurdziel
A very good read overall, setting up for a rousing space battle at the end of the story, although, I was getting a bit tired of all the references to WWKLD (what would Kris Longknife do) Does no one have an original thought?
Lachmann Marcel
Apr 23, 2016 rated it liked it
Seamana din ce in ce mai mult cu Kris.
Usor de citit.
Previzibila.
Ackers61
May 05, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I really like the whole Longknife/Peterwold world, even the over the top characters, but I just hate the crappy sex scenes..
Nicole
Aug 12, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: science-fiction
A lot of military speak going on in this one, but also an interesting take on rebellion. Vicky grows up a bit in spite of being in a very male-centric universe.
Stubbyjedi
Dec 03, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Loved the continuation of the story. Especially the ending, can't wait for the next part of the Vicky story.
David Houston
May 31, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Pretty good.
The ending's a bit deus ex machina, but aside from that...
  • Fortune's Hero (Soldiers of Fortune, #1)
  • Falcone Strike (Angel in the Whirlwind, #2)
  • The Ninth Circle (Tour of the Merrimack, #5)
  • The Ark (Children of a Dead Earth, #1)
  • The Wonk Decelerator
  • Carnelians (Saga of the Skolian Empire, #14)
  • Boneyards (Diving Universe, #3)
  • Alien Collective (Katherine "Kitty" Katt, #9)
  • The Chaplain's War
  • An Ancient Peace (Peacekeeper, #1; Confederation, #6)
  • Shattered Spear (The Lost Stars, #4)
  • The Blockade (First Salik War, #3)
  • Master Sergeant: The Makaum War: Book One
  • The Sea Without a Shore (Lt. Leary, #10)
  • Heirs of Empire  (The Scourwind Legacy #1)
  • Bloodstar (Star Corpsman, #1)
  • Wreck of the Nebula Dream
  • Outriders (Outriders, #1)
A pseudonym used by Mike Moscoe.

Mike was born in the Philadelphia Navy Yard Hospital -- and left that town at the age of three days for reasons he does not presently recall. But they had to draft him to get him back there. He missed very little of the rest of the country. Growing up Navy, he lived about everywhere you could park an aircraft carrier.

Mike was one of those college students who didn'
More about Mike Shepherd

Vicky Peterwald (4 books)
  • Target (Vicky Peterwald, #1)
  • Survivor (Vicky Peterwald, #2)
  • Dominator (Vicky Peterwald, #4)

Fantasy & Science Fiction Deals

• Son of the Dawn (Ghosts of the Shadow Market #1)
    $2.99 $1.49
  • Sanctuary (Nomad, #2)
    $4.99 $2.49
  • Genome (The Extinction Files #2)
    $5.99 $2.49
  • The Jewel (The Lone City, #1)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Mechanica (Mechanica, #1)
    $8.99 $1.99
  • Wired (Wired, #1)
    $6.99 $2.99
  • Bandwidth (An Analog Novel Book 1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Sufficiently Advanced Magic (Arcane Ascension, #1)
    $3.99 $1.49
  • Three Dark Crowns (Three Dark Crowns, #1)
    $9.99 $1.99
  • The Bees
    $12.99 $1.99
  • The Land: Founding (Chaos Seeds, #1)
    $2.99 $1.49
  • The Mists of Avalon (Avalon, #1)
    $12.99 $2.99
  • Fool's Assassin (The Fitz and The Fool Trilogy, #1)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Gone (Gone, #1)
  • Friday
    $6.99 $2.99
  • Dhalgren
    $17.99 $1.99
  • Moon Chosen (Tales of a New World #1)
    $8.51 $2.99
  • Homeworld (Odyssey One, #3)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Recurve (The Elemental Series, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Deviants (Dust Chronicles #1)
    $4.49 $0.99
  • Before She Ignites (Fallen Isles, #1)
    $6.49 $1.99
  • The Kill Society (Sandman Slim, #9)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Out of the Black (Odyssey One, #4)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Acacia: The War with the Mein (Acacia, #1)
    $7.99 $2.99
  • The Menagerie
    $3.99 $1.99
  • The Infinite (Gates of Thread and Stone #2)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Black Bird of the Gallows
    $7.99 $0.99
  • Eighth Grave After Dark (Charley Davidson, #8)
    $8.99 $2.99