Start by marking “Stupid is Forever” as Want to Read:
Stupid is Forever

Stupid is Forever

Sense of humor is almost absent among politicians, but Senator Miriam Defensor Santiago is a truly talented exception. People are puzzled how she can spontaneously make them laugh in the midst of national policy crises, and of real danger to her life as a corruption fighter.

This book is a collection of jokes, one-liners, pick-up lines, conebacks and speeches delivered and/
Published December 3rd 2014 by ABS-CBN Publishing Inc. (first published December 1st 2014)

To ask other readers questions about Stupid is Forever, please sign up.
Kharen You can check out National Bookstore. They have lots of copies or you can also order it on their website. :)
Chie I don't think you can read this book online, you can purchase this book at all leading bookstores nationwide.…moreI don't think you can read this book online, you can purchase this book at all leading bookstores nationwide.(less)

Start your review of Stupid is Forever
K.D. Absolutely
Apr 04, 2015 rated it did not like it
Recommended to K.D. by: Ang Kawangki
I admire Senator Miriam Defensor Santiago. Every time that she is a candidate, I vote for her. I even voted for her when she ran for presidency against President Fidel V. Ramos in 1992 and like many of us, believe that she was cheated.

When she opens her mouth to belittle whoever is taking her ire due to some kind of political controversy, her words get printed on the first page of the dailies or discussed in the internet blogs or those portions shown during the late night news. This book is a c
Joey
Dec 03, 2014 rated it liked it
To my GR friends,

The woman on the front cover pointing both her forefingers at each side of her forehead is the author herself, Miriam Defensor Santiago, our very own Filipino senator- politician, Ramon Magsaysay awardee- equivalent to Nobel Prize- for her moral leadership in cleaning the graft-ridden government agencies. She is not only well- known for her brave character but also for her sense of humor and witty remarks, which endeared the Filipino youth and is absolutely absent among politici
Eunice Moral
Dec 03, 2014 rated it really liked it
All I know is she is such a one hell of a badass senator, could have been a badass president too, well, you know rumor has it she was cheated last 1992 presidential election, too bad, Philippines could have seen better days.
Lex
Jan 07, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I liked it a lot. Enjoyed reading it. Humorous and informative. Definitely worth it. Senator Miriam, I salute you. :)
April
Dec 05, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2015-reads
There are parts of this book that require higher level of thinking. LOL. Yet, full of wit.
Lowed
Dec 14, 2014 rated it did not like it
It is amazing how this book received that kind of rating when this for me was utter waste of money and time. Sorry, I love Miriam as a senator but to see her in the list as the next president- Hell NO! I still could not forget her as the "lunatic" (together with the dancing queen) who voted against the opening of the second envelope. At that time I was hoping she'd change her mind and finish, once-and-for-all, the issue as the evidence was supposedly contained in that damn envelope! But she side ...more
Beatrice Masaluñga
Feb 08, 2015 rated it really liked it
I must say Senator Miriam Defensor Santiago is indeed one of the most admirable senator in the Philippines. I just love how brave and brutally honest she is as she talks about politicians and how they run the government. (Corruption)

She is definitely the "No guts, No Glory" type of woman. She's an intelligent, fierce and badass senator. I have so much respect for her. I'm so glad I've read this book.

My favorite line: You're the reason God created the middle finger. - This line. JEEZ! HOW CAN I
Binibining `E (of The Ugly Writers)
"You're the reason God created the middle finger." This is so LOL!

That first chapter? It so depicts our never ending battle with issues regarding politicians and politics itself. My gosh i felt blood oozing from my nose and in everywhere. HAHA!! I was enjoying and laughing while reading this on a public transportation on the way to the office. People might think I was crazy laughing all by myself. LOL. Pick-up lines was harsh but funny and true.

The book itself? Informative, Funny and Badass. I l
Jeanine Carstairs
Dec 03, 2014 rated it really liked it
I'D SURELY VOTE FOR THIS WOMAN IN THE 2016 PRESIDENTIAL ELECTIONS--WITHOUT A SHADOW OF DOUBT! ...more
Reyvianne Rodriguez
Dec 04, 2014 rated it really liked it
I must say that this book is not for the masses, let alone the 'intellectually deprived'. There are parts that require high level of understanding, though it appears to be a simple book. I found some parts boring or corny, which is forgivable since we know that the author is a total geek.

However, all in all, this book is an interesting read. There are many life (and political) lessons incorporated in it. It is also easy to digest that I finished it in two hours.
Jasmine
Dec 21, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Stupid is Forever by Senator Miriam Defensor Santiago is a compilation of her speeches, jokes, pick-up lines delivered or curated by this very famous Filipino public figure. Moreover, this is one of the most hilarious books that I’ve ever read. It may seem so funny but such hilarity really makes a lot sense.

It is very small book which can be read for about 1-2 hours straight. And mind you when you will read it in a public place, you can never stop yourself from laughing from one of those lines.
LailaBC
Would you believe I am more amazed by her resume written at the last part of the book. She is such an accomplished person...I am in awe of her. I have seen her in person many years ago when I was in college and she visited the university where I studied then and she was and till now very popular among the students. As the years went by since then she has become more fiercer than ever in politics. And it doesn't hurt she has such a sharp wit and sarcastic sense of humor. Some of the jokes written ...more
Mac Dubista Keso The Bibliobibuli v(=∩_∩=)
Feb 23, 2015 rated it liked it
Recommends it for: Perseus Jackson
Recommended to Mac Dubista Keso The Bibliobibuli v(=∩_∩=) by: Anna Katrina
bea
Feb 22, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: favorites
Senator Miriam Defensor Santiago is truly one of the most (and very rare) admirable politicians in the Philippines.
Not only does she have very impressive, mind-blowing accomplishments, she is also incredibly funny, and this book is a testament to her abundant wit. Brutally honest, unafraid to voice her opinions, willing to defend her principles to the very ends of the earth, she serves as an inspiration not only to aspiring lawyers like me, but to all the women of Asia.

This book is a collectio
bookaholic_kim
Aug 18, 2015 rated it liked it
Shelves: read-in-2015
A very surprising book. Why?

•There are pick-up lines ( I was expecting a serious themed book because it is written by a senator.
•I like it. ( I just bought this book out of curiosity and the title is so catchy then I ended up liking it.)

I like the book. Why?

•It targets the flaws of our leaders and our government. (it was written in a funny way)
•Contains facts. (I was nodding and agreeing most of the time I was reading it.)
•As I mentioned, there are pick-up lines but her speeches were also includ
Christian
Dec 03, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: non-fiction, 2016
It's funny when you read it, but it's funnier when you just try and imagine her voice while you're reading it. The wits and wisdom of the late (it pains me a great deal to say it) senator is truly a gift to the country (if not to the world). Her insights and humor-induced pick-up lines about politics, marriage, and life is very entertaining and thought-provoking (a few) albeit sometimes already being familiar from collective memory. But still, the words that fill these pages are worth every sing ...more
Maria Ella
Lola is so witty, you cannot help but admire her courage and brutal honesty. And she used that as a charm. A charm for anyone, especially to a fan like me who aspire to be like her someday...

Not totally like her, but a bit of her.
Kirei
Jan 25, 2015 rated it really liked it
Highly enjoyable. Not all jokes are original as I expected, but Senator never claimed them anyway. Some jokes are just too intelligent for me to appreciate, while some are as jeje as the "adik" in the corner. Read with an open mind, as some entries in the book may scratch sensitivities. ...more
Fran
Jan 08, 2015 rated it liked it
Shelves: humor
I had a few good laughs. The cartoons have some added charm. The sampling of speeches are not bad at all!
Dale
Jan 23, 2015 rated it really liked it
"Ignorance can be cured. Stupid is forever."

Entertaining, witty, and humorous. Ito ang katibayan kung gaano kasebo ang utak ni senator Miriam.
Zim
Feb 02, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Funny. Informative. Witty. Motivational. Clever. Inspiring.
Mark
Feb 22, 2015 rated it really liked it
4 stars out of 5.

If we’re going to have our Philippine presidential election this year, I guess this lady will win it…. by a landslide.

And I finally was able to get hold of a copy of this book by Senator Miriam Defensor Santiago. Santiago is a Philippine senator-politician that is well known for her wit and charm, bravery and knowledge about politics that was honed by her years of experience in all the three branches of the government, having been served at the executive, judicial and the legis
Christine
Mar 01, 2015 rated it it was ok
I can just imagine the Senator saying The nerve of that nobody Goodreads reviewer to rate my book with two stars! Or just a classic line like Frankly, my dear, I don't give a damn. But I remind everyone reading this that in Goodreads, two stars means "It was ok". And I rarely give below three stars to a book. Unless: There is a need to balance the Goodreads ratings.

Maybe I just expected too much from a book entitled "Stupid is Forever" and from an author no less than Senator Miriam Santiago. (No
Charlene Co
Feb 12, 2015 rated it really liked it
This book is kind of wicked. It contains jokes, one-liners, pick-up lines, facts about our government & to the deepest facts that is happening in our country & to the speeches that miriam defensor tells the youth or students now a days.

It could help us be aware of what is happening in the politics right now & that all filipinos should be aware that the government politics are not really that honest for a long long time ago & until the recent..

Too much jokes inside the book that will burst you i
Anne
Feb 28, 2015 rated it it was ok
If you follow Senator Miriam in the news, you'd mostly encounter the speeches and soundbites featured in this book. While it was mentioned that some of the lines in the book aren't all original (which was a good thing to mention), I think it still works. Juxtaposing a stern, no holds barred, fiesty senator and a lady who dishes out pickup lines is golden. However, I would've preferred if the publisher compiled the senator's most provocative speeches in one book. A lot of young people bought this ...more
Ana
I enjoyed reading Miriam’s speeches and some of her quotes, albeit not all of them are hers originally. My favorite part would be reading about how she encourages you to put yourself in a high pressure environment because that’s we’re the bigger gains are. I knew about Miriam when I lived in the Philippines. I knew she was an intellectual. However, I had no idea that she was exceptionally brilliant. In the later part of the book, it shows her political and scholarly achievements. This book was m ...more
Mitchi Honda
Jan 25, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I have seen an excerpt of the book (a comic strip), and it cracked me up because it is so witty. And I have yet to have my own copy of this book.

If there is one badass woman who is witty and intelligent, that is Mdm. Miriam. And kids should learn from her instead of always dealing with the matters of the heart. (Yeah, always dealing with "forever" can make one stupid. Forever is stupid, and stupid is forever.)

Who would have thought that an "election campaign" would come in a form of a book?
Burn
Jan 08, 2015 rated it it was ok
Shelves: actualb, 2015-reads
Though I am not a fan of Senator Santiago and not even interested about her, I feel the need to give some tiny credit for this book. I was quite disappointed since some of the lines and jokes in the book aren't that funny and most are even common which I have read/heard/seen somewhere. Though there were some lines that I have to say really smart. The only thing that interested me were the parts of some of her speeches.

Actual rating: 2.5
Joshua Delos reyes
Sep 14, 2015 rated it really liked it
"I never wanted to be a warrior. I wanted to be a scholar. I consider every act of evil a personal challenge."

After reading this book, it made me appreciate Miriam more as a scholarly person and a very wise woman.

I enjoyed this book a lot because aside from its entertainment value, I saw from it a peek on how the gears of Miriam's mind work when it comes to politics.

Overall, I think that this book balances both entertainment and politics for its readers.
Trisha Ann
Jul 16, 2015 rated it it was ok
I have great respect to this woman who so valiantly attacks her political foes with her sharp, intellectual, and witty tongue. This book did no justice to that. Stupid is Forever is just a regular book filled with crappy, pointless jokes like those aired on contemporary, profit-geared, local radio vultures.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 next »

• ABNKKBSNPLAKo?! (Mga Kwentong Chalk ni Bob Ong)
  • Bakit Baliktad Magbasa Ng Libro Ang Mga Pilipino? (Mga Kwentong Barbero ni Bob Ong)
  • El Filibusterismo (Noli Me Tangere, #2)
  • Stainless Longganisa
  • José Rizal: Life, Works, and Writings of a Genius, Writer, Scientist, and National Hero
  • Alamat ng Gubat
  • Rizal Without the Overcoat
  • Ang Paboritong Libro ni Hudas
  • Noli Me Tángere (Touch Me Not) (Noli Me Tángere, #1)
  • Bata, Bata... Pa'no Ka Ginawa?
  • Kapitan Sino
  • History of the Filipino People
  • Para Kay B (o kung paano dinevastate ng pag-ibig ang 4 out of 5 sa atin)
  • Lumayo Ka Nga Sa Akin
  • Macarthur
  • Ang mga Kaibigan ni Mama Susan
  • The First Filipino
  • The Best of Chico & Delamar's The Morning Rush Top 10
Laureate, Magsaysay Award (Asian Nobel Prize) for government service. Cited for “bold and moral leadership in cleaning up a graft-ridden government agency.” Named one of The 100 Most Powerful Women in the World by Australian magazine. Listed in the United Nations Roster of Eminent and Qualified Experts for international law.