Start by marking “The Most Wonderful Doll in the World” as Want to Read:
The Most Wonderful Doll in the World

The Most Wonderful Doll in the World

The memory of the doll Dulcy lost becomes more wonderful and exaggerated each time she talks about it.
Published November 1st 1992 by Scholastic (first published 1950)

To ask other readers questions about The Most Wonderful Doll in the World, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Most Wonderful Doll in the World

Start your review of The Most Wonderful Doll in the World
Calista
This is more of a Middle grade chapter book than a children's picture book. There are pages of only words. The artwork was nice what little there was of it, but I think it's because the story is so tedious. The art by itself wouldn't be that exciting either.

This book felt moldy to me. It is very repetitious and a list of what this doll does over and over and over getting longer and longer till I wanted to throw it across the room. Because it was so long, I did not read this to the kids.

This
Kathryn
Oct 17, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Love it! A wonderful story about a wonderful doll. I love how the "moral of the story" is handled, that Dulcy isn't made into a typical spoiled brat but that her nature of finding it "hard to be satisfied with Things as They Are" combined with her imagination do run away with her and lead her into troubles for awhile. The resolution is realistic and satisfying. I think many children (and adults, if they are honest with themselves) could relate. The Caldecott-winning illustrations are lovely and ...more
Jessica
Aug 14, 2012 rated it it was amazing
This book was a favorite of mine when I was around 5 or 6 years old, and I probably read it at least a hundred times.

I would recommend this book to any young girl between 4 and 8 because it is about a life they understand. Although this book was written a long time ago and times have changed drastically since then, most girls still love dolls, blankets, stuffed animals, or all three. This means that almost every little girl can understand how Dulcy feels about her doll and how she is always
Jessica
Feb 19, 2013 rated it it was amazing
I loved this book as a child. I had always loved dolls and this book reinforced my love of dolls. I remember I got this book for free from my second grade teacher. I wish I still had it.
Loralee
Dec 04, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-with-kids
This is SUCH a great book to read at this time of the year. We had some great discussions about being grateful for what you have, and learning to be "satisfied with Things as They Are". Both kids committed to being happy and grateful for all of their possessions, regardless of what others have and recognized how miserable Dulcy was when she was constantly pining for her lost doll.
Brindi Michele
Jul 04, 2013 rated it really liked it
1951 Caldecott honor

this was beautifully done. I like the constant change between black & white & color. & it's a perfect story for a little girl today. I collected dolls when I was little & would have loved this book.
Shiloah
This chapter book has been now duly filed under my art of girlhood shelf. Ah, the innocence of imagination and learning the difference between what is real and what we imagined things to be. Love the old-fashioned drawings and the normality of childhood play. ...more
Becky B
Dulcy is never completely satisfied with the dolls she has. One day she is given a very nice doll by an older neighbor, a doll which she manages to lose before she gets home. Dulcy's description of the doll magnifies and becomes increasingly extraordinary, in fact, well past believable when Dulcy and a new friend stumble across the real doll in the garden and Dulcy is confronted with her out of control imagination and mouth.

I think the point of this story was to give a little lesson to kids
Cindi
Jun 26, 2011 rated it liked it

This is the story of a little girl, Dulcy, who loves her dolls more than anything in the world. However, someone else's doll has a prettier dress or curlier hair than her dolls. She is never truly satisfied with what she has. One day her neighbor, Mrs. Primrose, gives her a doll named Angela. Unfortunately on the way home, Angela is misplaced. As Dulcy tells each new person about Angela, Angela becomes prettier and has more beautiful clothes. The story grows and grows until a year later, Angela
Angelica
This book starts out "There once was a girl named Dulcy who had lots of imagination. "Too much imagination," her mother would say to her father. Dulcy was a little girl who wanted to things she couldn't have. Things like dolls for example, Dulcy had way to many of them but she loved Angela the most and flaunted about how she was the best doll. Then she finds that all the things she flaunted about Angela were all in her imaginaton.

Girls tend to use their imaginations as often as possible, they
Kathleen Behrendt
This charming, nostalgic story of a little girl who is not satisfied with all she has is, unfortunately, out of print. Dulcy is a the daughter of a family with wealth and she owns many beautiful dolls. She receives the doll Angela from her neighbor, Mrs. Primrose, and has the bad luck of loosing it. As she describes the doll to family and friends, it becomes more and more fantastic. She becomes unhappy with all her other dolls and her friends don't want to play with her anymore. Dulcy is very ...more
SamZ
Jul 15, 2014 rated it liked it
Shelves: caldecott
1951 Caldecott Honor; Favorite Illustration: the two page spread showing Dulcy looking over her array of dolls.
Dulcy loves dolls, but she has a problem accepting things as they are. She is always wising for things to be a little bit different, or better, or nicer. One day she gets a new doll named Angela, but loses her on the way home. As time goes on, Angela's memory becomes so much better than Angela herself. When Dulcy finds her the following Spring, she learns a hard truth: sometimes having
Samantha
Jul 07, 2012 rated it did not like it
Dulcy has a collection of dolls though she's not quite satisfied with any of them. One day a neighbor woman gifts her a doll named Angela that Dulcy misplaces in her excitement over a freshly raked pile of leaves. For months afterward whenever she recalls Angela the doll's features become more and more exaggerated until almost everyone in her life tires from hearing about the doll. In the spring, Dulcy finds Angela in the yard under a pile of leaves, but she looks nothing like the wondrous doll ...more
Yvonne
Feb 15, 2016 rated it liked it
1950 Caldecott Honor Book and part of the series of Blue Ribbon Books.

A story about a little girl that gets a doll from an older woman who is leaving town for a short time and wants her to have this doll to take care. The girl has many dolls but this one is very special, until she gets side tracked and leaves it in a pile of leaves. She begins to invent stories of her adventures with the doll, but will not share that she has lost the doll till one day after a long winter the doll appears right
Marissa Garcia
Dulcy's doll Angela is lost, and this is terrible, because she was the most wonderful doll in the world. Dulcy tells anyone and everyone about her terrible loss, until there is no one left who wants to hear about how great Angela was or how many accessories she had. When the real Angela turns up, Dulcy learns a little bit about Things As They Are.

Delightfully vintage in voice, but still classic in appeal, this 1951 Caldecott Honor winner is many things - honest, amusing, dazzling, and more.
Marissa Elera
Jan 04, 2012 rated it it was amazing

Maria Rowe
Dec 28, 2017 rated it really liked it
1951 Caldecott Honor Book

I really liked this book! It was fun to read. Dulcy is never satisfied with Things As They Are. Shes given a doll, promptly loses it, and she starts to built the doll up in her mind of how wonderful it was and then she doesnt want to play with her other dolls because she misses the doll she lost. I like how this book teaches the moral of being grateful for what you have and also a little of being more careful with your stuff. Dulcy is a little annoying (and spoiled)
Rachel
I will admit that I did not want to read this book for a long time because it is about dolls, as I've always found them a little creepy. This book won a 1951 Caldecott Honor book, and is about a little girl named Dulcy (this name really dates the book) who has a large collection of dolls to play with but has just lost a doll named Angela she just received as a gift from a friend of the family. She goes on and on about the doll, each time inventing better and better things that it does. When she ...more
Katie Fitzgerald
This book reads like an early chapter book, despite its lack of chapters. Im not crazy about the illustrations, but I really enjoyed the story. I was a kid who had a lot of dolls, and I could relate to Dulcys love for her own dolls, and especially for the lost Angela. Dulcy remains realistic throughout the story - both in her building up of Angela and her bragging about her, and in her transformation after she realizes there is a difference between lying and imagining. Dulcy and the reader both ...more
Mary
Jul 27, 2012 rated it liked it
Dulcy is not satisfied with what she has - she imagines that everything would be perfect if it were different. Her doll with yellow hair she wishes had brown hair. She wishes another doll had a lace slip. When her neighbor Mrs. Primrose gives her another doll, Angela, Dulcy promptly loses it. While it remains lost she builds it up in her mind as something far more wonderful than it really is; when she finds it again will she be satisfied with "things as they are?"
Paul
Feb 09, 2013 rated it it was ok
I put off reading this as long as I could - the subject of a doll made it feel like a little-girl book from 1950 - exactly what it was and little more. Helen Stone's illustrations, especially the color two-page spreads are what rescue the book. The story of Dulcy's ongoing disappointment with everything she has, especially her dolls, is a bit hard to bear - her imagination and several influential adults keep her from going under. 2.4 stars just because of the illustrations.
Ed
Jan 22, 2009 rated it really liked it
Shelves: nerdcott-2012
As far as the story of this book, I HATED IT. I found the little girl an annoying spoiled brat, and the story was painful to read. It was very repetitive, and the it was like listening to a long, boring joke in a bar. I did love the illustrations, and this is the perfect example of a book that deserved the Caldecott for its illustrations, but makes it hard to read it for #nerdcott. I fought my way through the story, and I am giving it 4 stars for illustration, and 1 star for story.
David
Jun 01, 2009 rated it liked it
I'm not sure what to say about this book. It was very interesting. I think Elizabeth is too young for it, though. It is about a girl who makes us a story and tells it so many times she begins to believe it, too.
Laura5
Dec 29, 2011 rated it liked it
This really has the feel of an early chapter book.
There was a part at the end that felt a bit didactic as far as the lesson the main character has learned, but other than that I appreciated the main character's exaggeration, and the sweet illustrations.
John
Dec 29, 2011 rated it liked it
Caldecott Honor, 1951

It looks like an early chapter book.

Favorite illustration: page 34

Favorite line: "There was once a little girl named Dulcy who found it hard to be satisfied with things as they are."
Mitchell
Caldecott Honor Book. They don't write them like this anymore and that's a good thing. Lame and wordy with not especially interesting art. The main pov character is just plain irritating. Sure it ends well but getting to that point was a slog.
Cheryl
Dec 12, 2016 rated it liked it
Read several times, but only as an adult. My rating each time depends on my mood. Today I can't help but think of Dulcy as spoiled. Nor can I decide whether I love the art or not.
Brittany
One of my favorite books when I was little, even though for some reason I cried at the end every time.
Felicity
Oct 09, 2008 rated it it was amazing
This was my favorite book when I was little. :) ♥
Catherine
This beautifully illustrated book tells the story of a spoiled little girl who learns and grows by the end of the book.

• The Chronicles of Harris Burdick: 14 Amazing Authors Tell the Tales
  • Pedro the Angel of Olvera Street
  • Four and Twenty Blackbirds: Nursery Rhymes of Yesterday Recalled for Children of Today
  • Little Lost Lamb
  • The Water Horse
  • Dark and Stormy Knights
  • Commodore Perry in the Land of the Shogun
  • The Storm Book
  • The Book of Three (The Chronicles of Prydain, #1)
  • Exploring the History of Medicine: From the Ancient Physicians of Pharaoh to Genetic Engineering
  • A Child's History of the World
  • The Wolves of Willoughby Chase (The Wolves Chronicles, #1)
  • The Strangers (Greystone Secrets, #1)
  • Tanglewood Tales: A Wonder-Book for Girls and Boys
  • Anne of Green Gables: A Graphic Novel
  • The Lost Islands (Explorer, #2)
  • Where Are You Going, Baby Lincoln?
  • A Crankenstein Valentine
McGinley was educated at the University of Southern California and at the University of Utah in Salt Lake City. After receiving her diploma in 1927, she taught for a year in Ogden and then at a junior high school in New Rochelle, New York. Once she had begun to establish a reputation for herself as a writer, McGinley gave up teaching and moved to New York City, where she held various jobs. She ...more