Goodreads helps you keep track of books you want to read.
Start by marking “The Great Depression & the New Deal: A Very Short Introduction” as Want to Read:
The Great Depression & the New Deal: A Very Short Introduction
Enlarge cover
Rate this book
Clear rating
Open Preview

The Great Depression & the New Deal: A Very Short Introduction (Very Short Introductions #166)

3.61  ·  Rating details ·  321 Ratings  ·  42 Reviews
The New Deal shaped our nation's politics for decades, and was seen by many as tantamount to the -American Way- itself. Now, in this superb compact history, Eric Rauchway offers an informed account of the New Deal and the Great Depression, illuminating its successes and failures.
Rauchway first describes how the roots of the Great Depression lay in America's post-war econo
...more
Paperback, 160 pages
Published February 1st 2008 by Oxford University Press, USA (first published August 1st 2007)
More Details... edit details

Friend Reviews

To see what your friends thought of this book, please sign up.

Reader Q&A

To ask other readers questions about The Great Depression & the New Deal, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Great Depression & the New Deal

Community Reviews

(showing 1-30)
Rating details
Sort: Default
|
Filter
Will Byrnes
Aug 18, 2011 rated it really liked it
When George Santayana said, “Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to fulfill it," he must have been thinking about the sorts of political leaders we have today (2011) as Republicans and some Democrats seem determined to repeat the errors of that earlier time. Those who espouse looking forward only, it can usually be seen, are eager to avoid responsibility for what lies behind. And so it is today. Looking backward, or learning from experience, is what intelligent people do, in order t ...more
Ahmad Sharabiani
The Great Depression & the New Deal: A Very Short Introduction (Very Short Introductions #166), Eric Rauchway

The New Deal shaped our nation's politics for decades, and was seen by many as tantamount to the "American Way" itself. Now, in this superb compact history, Eric Rauchway offers an informed account of the New Deal and the Great Depression, illuminating its successes and failures.
Hend awad
كتاب دسم واكاديمي بحت يذكرني بالكتب الدراسية ومكثف كأنه ورقة بحثية من الواجب أن تكون ملمة بأغلب تفاصيل الموضوع وهو ما تسبب في شعور بالملل والضيق اثناء قراءة الكتاب لانه يقفز من معلومة لأخر بدون تمهيد...

يحتوى الكتاب على عرض شامل لأزمة الولايات المتحدة الأمريكية إبان الحرب العالمية الأولى وكيفية الخروج من الأزمة بواسطة هوفر وإخفاقة في تحقيق ذلك بسبب زيادة معدل البطالة وفشل برنامج الغوث والإعانات...

ثم تتدرج الأحداث إلى أن يتولى روزفلت الحكم عام 1932 وما قام به من صفقات جديدة وجنى للضرائب بشكل غير م
...more
Ehab mohamed
عرض لأهم أسباب الكساد الكبير والمتمثلة في القيود التي فُرضت على التجارة العالمية والديون التي أورثتها الحرب العالمية الأولى للعالم بالإضافة إلى زيادة معدل الانتاج وإقبال المواطنين على شراء السلع الكمالية باعتبارها من الضروريات وظهور نظام الائتمان فزاد إقبال الأمريكيين أكثر وأكثر على الشراء وفي نفس الوقت ازداد الانتاج لتلبية الاحتياجات المتزايدة للشعب إلى أن جاءت اللحظة الحاسمة التي ازداد فيها معدل الانتاج عن الاستهلاك بكثير مما أدى إلى الركود والكساد والعجز عن تسديد الديون وأموال الائتمان

ثم عرض
...more
Ginger
Nov 10, 2008 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2008
The title is definitively appropriate. It's a 130 page summary of the causes immediately leading to the Great Depression, the social climate, and then what the Roosevelt Administration did in response to it. It reads like the extended version of a 101 level college textbook chapter. It covers A LOT of ground in very short time so it's pretty hard to hold onto the specifics and the lists of New Deal acronyms gets weary, but the refresher was definitely helpful. You can't go over this information ...more
Jim Angstadt
Aug 09, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: dnf
The Great Depression & The New Deal: A Very Short Introduction
Eric Rauchway

Thanks to Will Byrnes for his review of this book, and an introduction to the series.

I am impressed by the author's ability to condense a mountain of information into a short, very readable story. This treatment is exactly what I want when introduced to a new subject. But, for a subject that I am somewhat familiar with, this approach may not be as helpful.

With over 500 subjects to choose from, there should be somethin
...more
Elizabeth
Feb 14, 2009 marked it as to-read
I read this guy's blog regularly (economic historian at UC Davis), and am obsessed with the stimulus debate, plus I'm working on a research project about 20th C debt in the US. So this is a natural choice. Plus, it's "very short." On his blog, he tags his discussions of current New Deal/Keynes/FDR debates "New Deal Denialist Truth Squadding." He's smart and funny. With killer stats. In case you're curious, he's of the opinion that the New Deal worked, and his numbers prove it. Helpful knowledge, ...more
Raya راية
تعرّفت على أسباب الكساد الكبير بعد الحرب العالمية الأولى
وخطط الرؤساء الأمريكيين لتخطي هذه الأزمة
وتأثيرها على كل مجالات الحياة الأمريكية

لا أنكر بأني شعرت بملل خلال قرائتي لهذا الكتاب، لكنه جيد جداً من حيث توضيح فكرة بسيطة عن هذه المرحلة
Tim Pendry
This is a 'very short introduction' in Oxford's useful series of that name. It is a simple guide to the defining event of the US' twentieth century - the New Deal that arose out of the Great Depression. It is also the story of a conservative politician [FDR] quite capable of radical rhetoric. His electoral achievement in 1936, taking every State except Maine and Vermont, was unparalleled since Munroe in 1820.

Rauchway references JK Galbraith once and Galbraith is not to be found in the Further Re
...more
Robin Friedman
Sep 08, 2017 rated it really liked it
The Depression And New Deal Discussed Concisely

The Oxford University Press publishes a series called "Very Short Introductions" written by authorities in their fields. The series helps to introduce busy and curious readers to a wide variety of subjects. The series numbers nearly 200 volumes and includes subjects from history, philosophy, religion, science, and the humanities. This series constitutes an admirable way for any person to learn something about new matters and to expand his or her int
...more
Peter Johnson
Nov 01, 2017 rated it really liked it
Good, short but thorough look at the politics of dealing with ANY kind of crisis in the U S A. Easy to read with enlightening observations.
Seth D Michaels
Dec 21, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: history, us-history
Not a lot I didn't know already, but nicely done - efficiently walks through the major points while still having room for a little analysis of what did and didn't work.
Kate Samuelsen
Jan 09, 2018 rated it really liked it
It was an easy read, a concise history of the Great Depression that did its best to tell the story as unbiasedly as it could while presenting the facts with little hubbub.
Daniel Wright
(1) One of the great things about the Very Short Introduction series from OUP is that they achieve a very scholarly level in tone and content without being littered with footnotes (or, still worse, endnotes). This contribution to the series completely disregards this. Fortunately, the notes are only citations rather than explanations, and I soon learnt to ignore them, but it still spoils the book's aesthetic appeal.

(2) While the consensus among historians is that the New Deal was what saved the
...more
Jack
Dec 24, 2009 rated it really liked it
A fine overview of the Great Depression and New Deal, as the title makes plain. As it's meant to be "very short," lots get missed. As I'm not an economist I can't argue about the finer points of their arguments about why the Great Depression started and what impact the New Deal had on the Depression. Rauchway does seem to do a fine job of bringing in a lot of the major points of those debates. He seems to discuss the left-wing critiques of FDR and the New Deal more than he does the right wing cr ...more
Ross
May 13, 2015 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I read this because I was just looking for a nice overview. It's fairly difficult to rate a book like this. It's basically a longer and higher quality textbook of the GD - causes, responses, aftermath, and analysis. There were two things I liked: First and foremost, Rauchway synthesizes a lot of sources very well and includes a lot of suggested reading. In that way, it's a great place to start some serious in-depth reading of the Great Depression. Secondly, I appreciated Rauchway's honest analys ...more
Sohaib Alhalaybeh

الكساد هوانخفاض ملحوظ وواسع النطاق في النشاط الاقتصادي لعدة أشهر،
وتزداد فيها البطالة وتنخفض قيمة الاستثمارات وأرباح الشركات،
وينتج عن الكساد تدني وهبوط في الانتاج،وانخفاض السيولة النقدية .


وفي هذا الكتاب يتحدث عن الكساد الكبير الذي اصاب العالم عامة
والولايات المتحدة خاصة في ثلاثيات القرن العشرين ابان فترة الرئيس هربرت هوفر بعد الحرب العالمية
والديون المتراكمة على العالم بسبب الحرب .

وينقسم الكتاب الى مرحلتين مرحلة الرئيس هربرت هوفر
ومرحلة الرئيس فرانكلين روزفلت من الحزب الديمقراطي الذي فازاربع مر
...more
Hager Ragab
سبب قراتي للكتاب ،متابعتي لنقاش عن الازمات الاقتصاديه المشهوره علي مر العصور
الكساد الكبير حدث بعد الحرب العالميه الاولي
اثره علي العالم اجمع وامريكا علي وجه الخصوص
التغيرات التي حدثت بعد وقوعه
تغيير في نظام الحكم
قدوم روزفلت بفكرة انقاذ الاقتصاد الامريكي والعمل عليها رغم الرفض لها
اضافة قوانين جديده
التركيز علي الزراعه والصناعه
اصلاحات في النظام المصرفي وسوق المال
العمل مع الطبقه الوسطي الغالبيه،الاستماع لها
بدايه جيده للقراءة عن الازمات الاقتصاديه التي هزت العالم وكيفيه الشفاء منها
Ben
May 28, 2013 rated it it was amazing
I've been reading a lot of these very short introductions recently, and this has been at the top of the list. Rauchway focuses less on an overview of the period than on the New Deal's role as a promoter of countervailing force to prop up Capitalism at it's weakest, rather than an attempt to fundamentally change capitalism, certainly not revolutionary. Seems like as good a place as any to start learning about the subject.
William1
Mar 24, 2011 rated it liked it
Shelves: us, 21-ce, history
This is a helpful volume and a good place to start your reading on this subject. In so brief a volume, however, the author has focused mainly on the legislative history of The New Deal. If you want a narrative about how the Depression affected the day-to-day lives of Americans (and I did), you won't find it here, except in the briefest and most abstract terms, though you might try David M. Kennedy's Freedom From Fear: The American People In Depression and War, 1929-1945.
Mardin
Mar 03, 2015 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
یحاول الكاتب تفريق بين فترة حكم (هوفر) و (روزفلت) ومن خلال بيان تباين في فترة الاولي التي تفشی البطالة و حصل فيها الكساد و حكم الثاني او الفترة حكم رؤزفلت ...تميزت باصدار القوانين و محاولا حلب الاقتصاد نحو سلم الاعلى من الانتعاش...رغم كل هذا الا انني بحاجة الى قرائته مرة الاخرى لعل سبب يرجع الى كثر معلومات فه و عدم امكانية استعابه مرة واحدة
Mike
Oct 03, 2009 rated it liked it
It certainly lives up to its subtitle... although the editors cheated a bit by using really tiny type... anyway, a decent read for students of history and for those trying to get a handle on our current macroeconomic debates, re: "stimulus" etc.
Maura
May 01, 2009 rated it really liked it
Highly recommended for those who want a brief but fairly comprehensive overview of the Great Depression. I was not aware of how closely it hewed to our present day situation. I am now interested in reading the transcripts for the fireside chats or an FDR biography.
Samantha
Jan 05, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: history-reading
Gives a historical perspective on the understanding of the Depression and the New Deal. I learned quite a bit from this book and it lead me to other sources that helped me further understand this topic.
Lori Kincaid Rassati
Sep 10, 2010 rated it it was ok
The book lived up to its name--a very short introduction to the subject matter. Although no fault of the author, I became bogged down in all of the legislation related to the New Deal. I would have liked more of an explanation of what led up to the depression. Overall, a good quick read.
Ed
Nov 10, 2008 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: kate, anna, evelyn, stacey
Good short guide to the past that is so relevant to us today.
Scaringly mirrors our current situation. Those who don't learn from history are condemned to repeat it: and as Marx said: the first time its tragedy, the second time farce.
Ken Moten
This book is a very good, to the point intro/summary of the New Deal and how it worked. I was very impressed at how finely detailed the information was and I gained a big appreciation for the ambition that the architects of the New Deal had.
علي جمال
Mar 15, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: history, economy
كتاب جميل يتكلم عن فتر الكساد الكبير التي المت بأمريكا وعن اسبابها وكيف تعاملت معها
كيف فشل هوفر في حل هذه المعضلة وكيف استطاع روزفلت النهوض بالاقتصاد في تلك الفترة من خلال برامج الصفقة الجديدة التي انتهجتها الحكومة
Rachel
Sep 09, 2011 rated it liked it
A fairly clear and concise read, it was on my reading list for a History class I was taking about the Transformation of Modern America. I thought there were a few holes and you could tell it was only a brief introduction, but overall it was easy to get through and well written.
Kevin/Akio
Mar 04, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Very informative. I really liked the descriptions in it.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 next »
There are no discussion topics on this book yet. Be the first to start one »
  • The Renaissance: A Very Short Introduction
  • American Political Parties and Elections: A Very Short Introduction
  • Socialism: A Very Short Introduction
  • The World Trade Organization: A Very Short Introduction
  • The Russian Revolution: A Very Short Introduction
  • The American Presidency: A Very Short Introduction
  • Ancient Warfare: A Very Short Introduction
  • The Koran: A Very Short Introduction
  • Human Rights: A Very Short Introduction
  • Humanism: A Very Short Introduction
  • International Migration: A Very Short Introduction
  • Kabbalah: A Very Short Introduction
  • Modern China: A Very Short Introduction
  • Renaissance Art: A Very Short Introduction
  • The Old Testament: A Very Short Introduction
  • Democracy: A Very Short Introduction
  • The European Union: A Very Short Introduction
  • The Bible: A Very Short Introduction
Eric Rauchway is an American historian and professor at the University of California, Davis. Rauchway's scholarship focuses on modern US political, social and economic history, particularly the Progressive Era and the New Deal.
More about Eric Rauchway...

Other Books in the Series

Very Short Introductions (1 - 10 of 518 books)
  • A Very Short Introduction to Everything
  • Classics: A Very Short Introduction
  • Music: A Very Short Introduction
  • Buddhism: A Very Short Introduction
  • Literary Theory: A Very Short Introduction
  • Hinduism: A Very Short Introduction
  • Psychology: A Very Short Introduction
  • Islam: A Very Short Introduction
  • Politics: A Very Short Introduction
  • Theology: A Very Short Introduction

Nonfiction Deals

  • Death by Living: Life Is Meant to Be Spent
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Sometimes You Win--Sometimes You Learn: Life's Greatest Lessons Are Gained from Our Losses
    $9.99 $1.99
  • The Rise of Superman: Decoding the Science of Ultimate Human Performance
    $5.99 $1.99
  • The Long Tail: Why the Future Is Selling Less of More
    $9.99 $2.99
  • The Black Count: Glory, Revolution, Betrayal, and the Real Count of Monte Cristo
    $11.99 $1.99
  • Effortless Healing: 9 Simple Ways to Sidestep Illness, Shed Excess Weight, and Help Your Body Fix Itself
    $11.99 $1.99
  • The Case for Faith: A Journalist Investigates the Toughest Objections to Christianity
    $5.99 $2.99
  • The Map That Changed the World: William Smith and the Birth of Modern Geology
    $8.99 $2.99
  • Village of Secrets: Defying the Nazis in Vichy France
    $8.49 $1.99
  • Bad Boy
    $7.74 $1.99
  • The Autobiography of Malcolm X
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Heaven is for Real: A Little Boy's Astounding Story of His Trip to Heaven and Back
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Sous Chef: 24 Hours on the Line
    $11.99 $1.99
  • Before Happiness: The 5 Hidden Keys to Achieving Success, Spreading Happiness, and Sustaining Positive Change
    $13.99 $1.99
  • WEIRD: Because Normal Isn't Working
    $6.99 $2.99
  • Lady Almina and the Real Downton Abbey: The Lost Legacy of Highclere Castle
    $11.99 $1.99
  • Why Have Kids?: A New Mom Explores the Truth About Parenting and Happiness
    $5.99 $0.99
  • Letterman: The Last Giant of Late Night
    $12.99 $2.99
“The average American has the feeling that work..is the only dignified way of life...While theoretically, economic activities are supposed to be the means to the good life, as a matter of fact it is not the end, but the means themselves, that have the greater prestige.” 1 likes
“Postwar debts differed from prewar borrowing. New World borrowers spent nineteenth-century British loans on railroads and ranches, building the capacity to repay their lenders. Belligerent borrowers spent wartime American loans on shot and shell, destroying that capacity. Nations wounded in war borrowed more money to repay their debts, sometimes borrowing from America to pay other belligerents who in turn paid America.” 0 likes
More quotes…