Start by marking “Every Which Way But Dead (The Hollows, #3)” as Want to Read:
Every Which Way But Dead (The Hollows, #3)

Every Which Way But Dead (The Hollows #3)

4.29  ·  Rating details ·  59,164 Ratings  ·  1,240 Reviews
There's no witch in Cincinnati tougher, sexier, or more screwed up than bounty hunter Rachel Morgan, who's already put her love life and soul in dire jeopardy through her determined efforts to bring criminal night creatures to justice.

Between "runs," she has her hands full fending off the attentions of her blood-drinking partner, keeping a deadly secret from her backup, an
Hardcover, 1st Hardcover Edition, 448 pages
Published September 2nd 2008 by Harper Voyager (first published 2005)

To ask other readers questions about Every Which Way But Dead, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Every Which Way But Dead

Luffy
This is a paranormal urban fantasy that I can like. It wasn't always apparent. I have been reading this series because it has an end. That kept me going in this particular book. Then things got marginally, then noticeably better.

The thing is that I don't know how to review a book from this subgenre. I didn't gasp in rapture at the sex scenes and I didn't take sides in Nick vs Kisten. I read the books for the story and the dialog, sometimes.

The ending was like a cozy mystery; family and friends t
Robin (Bridge Four)
Welcome to our What Kind of Heroine are you Quiz. Please select the option that best describes what you would do in the following situations:

You have recently started a business with a friend. Should you
A. Work as a team and solve mysteries and crime
together playing off each other’s strengths.
B. Go off on your own rarely telling your
partner what you are working on and where you
are going, with no indication on when you will
return.
C Hedge your bets and have a few other people
/beings you are workin
Jessica ❁ ➳ Silverbow ➳ ❁ Rabid Reads
Reviewed by: Rabid Reads

You know how "they" say the things you hate in others are the things you like least about yourself?

When I was 21, after an extreme bout of poor decision-making, I decided to take a sabbatical from dating. In quick succession, I had dated a slightly-younger-than-me guy, a guy who was my age, and a more-than-slightly-older-than-me guy, and they were ALL great, big lamewads. 19 y.o. Mark, the 6'7'' college basketball player and DRAMA QUEEN liked to wake up, drink milk, and t
✘✘ Sarah ✘✘ (former Nefarious Breeder of Murderous Crustaceans)

DNF at 61%. Go me and stuff.

Why the murderous crustaceans are DNFing this PoC™ thing and won't bother continuing with this series :

All relationship/romance/dating BS/crap and NO plot/story whatsoever. Rachel, Ivy, Nick, Kisten, Skimmer (view spoiler)…Reading this book feels like watching a bloody shrimping culebrón. Which might explain why much eyerolling and facepalmingpinc
 Danielle The Book Huntress (Back to the Books)
Laz
Jan 23, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: urban fantasy lovers
I'm glad this hasn't reached a low point. And I sure as hell hope it won't because so far I'm loving every second of reading this series. It's fast-paced, the action is abundant and there are so many characters I just can't help but love.

As you must have assumed, Rachel finds herself in an impossible situation once again. As the shit hit the fan and everything goes to hell. Rachel must find a way to get herself out of the deal with Algaliarept without getting herself or her friends killed in the
Carole (Carole's Random Life in Books)
This review can also be found at Carole's Random Life.

I liked this audiobook but it was bit of a disappointment after absolutely loving the first two books in the series. This was a re-read for me but I actually didn't remember anything about it from my initial read years ago. I am actually pretty sure that this is the book that I stopped on when I started the series the first time. It was a good book but it wasn't anywhere near as entertaining as the first two in the series were for me.

This boo
Jonetta
Even though there's a lot going on in this story, there seemed to be quite a few lulls. Fortunately, the many revelations kept it moving.

One of the things I like about Rachel is her ability to think her way through situations, especially when she's figuring out how to balance her magic skills with what she knows about the rules of her world. She's pressed to her limits in this story and learns so much about herself and her gifts.

I've not liked or trusted Nick Sparagmos and he doesn't do anythi
Kat Kennedy
I have to deduct stars from this for several reasons. All three books so far have suffered from a shit-poor editing job and my inner editor constantly screams while reading them.

Then there's the fact that Rachel Morgan is just unbelievably stupid. Painfully stupid. So stupid that she shouldn't be allowed to live. So stupid that I don't understand why she IS alive.

I WILL read the next book because there're a number of things that intrigue me. However, if the next book isn't markedly better then
John
Apr 28, 2008 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Fans of supernatural adventure, anyone who likes the Rachel Morgan series.
Shelves: fantasy, horror
This, third, book of Kim Harrison's Rachel Morgan series has the weakest plot so far. On the other hand, the character driven scenes kept me reading, and when the plot finally got rolling in the last 30% of the book, I was frothing.

The book starts out with two problems presented to Rachel: A demon that she owes favors to has come to collect, and a new crime boss in town is making life difficult for everyone. After that, we get a lot of character development and the plot fades away, showing up n
Mlpmom (Book Reviewer)
I have a confession to make, I didn't love the first book in this series, in fact, I forced myself to finish it. And months later, decided to give the second a chance because some many people loved it.

And while I did like the second book, I still wasn't blown away by it and was still wondering, what all the fuss was about.

You see, it wasn't until book three, this book, that I finally got it. That something clicked and I understood what all the fuss was about.

Can I just say, I love Rachel, Ivy,
La Mala ✌
description

¿Alguien más que extrañe a Buffy tanto como yo?

description

Bien, no os preocupeís más....

description

....porque Buffy vive en casi todas las novelas de fantasía urbana y THE HOLLOWS no es una excepción (por suerte)

description

Y si no hay ganas de leer, Buffy está en Netflix ;)

ACLARACIÓN: Aunque esta reseña tiene marcado 'spoilers' después de cada ítem, no suelo spoilear nada. Es decir, no escribo nada que arruine la trama principal. (En caso de hacerlo, lo advierto previamente con una nueva marca de spoiler>!! O sea, te encaj
Sara Kate
I loved this one, starting to really get into this series. Also.... I mean can we talk about Kisten?!?! I am so up for Rachel and Kisten as a couple. I feel kinda bad for Ivy though and her strong feelings toward Rachel and her not knowing what to do with them. I hope Ivy will find someone.
Kribu
Hmm. I felt this one was a little weaker, overall, than the second book - possibly because there was a little less emphasis on plot and a little more on Rachel finding more or less every single guy hot.

It didn't really bother me - for which I need to give the author some props, because it so easily could have, and should have - but really, it was getting ever so slightly ridiculous how Rachel was basically drooling over every man she met. Kisten's hot. Trent's hot. David's hot. Lee's hot. Nick .
Maria_Love_For_Books
Really, why I haven’t read this series earlier? What an amazing read! Exactly what a good urban fantasy must be! With a very well structured world-building and many great characters that in every book have very interesting development, this book was definitely one of my best reads this year. It seems that this series is getting better with each book, another good reason to read The Hollows series by Kim Harrison.

Rachel has too many things on her plate right now. Her boyfriend can’t get far enoug
La La
Sep 07, 2012 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I'm currently on book three and I really don't know what to say. This series doesn't really do it for me but I feel deeply compelled to continue on hoping that it gets better. So far I find Rachel to be judgemental, a bit of a victim, and too stupid to live, yet she's suppose to be the baddest b^%$!. I don't see it. She's constantly getting her butt kicked and getting lucky in the end with the help of others. She can't stand Trent for his business dealings, drugs and biomedical research, which i ...more
valee
Oct 07, 2009 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: urban-fantasy
I loved this one!
So much better than the first 2 books. I enjoyed every page of this book, although it took me much more time to read it.

Rachel is becoming stronger, which I love, I really want her to become even more powerful than she already is.
Nick didn't make an appearance after the first half of the book, which IMHO was the reason for why I adored this book much more than the first 2. He is a boring and irrelevant character and (even if I know it is a terrible thing to say) I wish he could
Charlie
Not quite as good as book two but definitely still great. So far my series re-read is a success.
Kimberley doruyter
still enjoyable but it's starting to slip.
Mark
Jan 12, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
These just keep the high standards since the first book.

Good character maturity.
Carly
Jan 19, 2015 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Book Reaction (not a full review)

In the third installment of Rachel Morgan's adventures, she's mostly dealing with the fallout of some of the events of the previous book. Sadly, this means that the book has a heavy focus on vampires and demons, and in Harrison's world, that means that the book is all about seduction, temptation, and weird rapey vibes. An amusing side adventure involves Rachel acting as body guard for Trent because--wait for it--they believe that she can handle vampiric vibes bet
VampireNovelFan
This book is the best thus far in the series. You can tell it's starting the hit its stride. The characters are becoming more established and the lines between protagonists and antagonists are thinning a bit.

Rachel strikes a deal with Algaliarept, a demon, to testify against Piscary. To do it she'll have to become his familiar. From there she meets his old familiar, Ceri, who happens to be an elf. She turns out to be a very mysterious, interesting, and powerful character. Does Rachel want to ma
Lori {Romancing the Dark Side}
"Tink's panties" this is the best one so far! Rachel Morgan is back, stirring up some more trouble in the Hollows! I couldn't ask for anything more: non-stop action, danger, more of my favorite characters [Trent, Kisten and Takata], some great new additions [Ceri, David and Erica] and finally some overdue romance!! I had Trent and Kisten listed as potential suitors for Rachel in my head after the second book, but Kisten has definitely won me over! Rachel's character started out a "diamond in the ...more
Deea (Andreea)
Nov 03, 2010 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites, uf
[Re-read November 2014]

Memorable moments in this one as well. *happy sigh* I'm pretty sure from the earliest books, this one had some of my most favorite scenes with Trent - and here I started jumping head-first on Team Trent. (Then there's the wedding part mwahaha.:D)

Rachel is already showing signs of her personal growth and self discovery. And everyone is so badass! I'm so in love with Kisten at this point... Debating if I should or should not go through that part of the series again or just s
Shandra
Jan 16, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Actual rating: 4 stars

It's official...I truly love this series. The world is amazing, and our main characters are just as awesome!! This book would've been five stars, but the typos were ridiculous. It was to the point where the story was affected because often the typos made me have to stop and figure out what the author was saying. It sort of hampered my reading experience. But Kisten made up for it...oh how I love him!!!!
Matthew Bates II
Well back to this trashy urban fantasy.
Tara Day
Apr 25, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Hello fellow reviewers! Minor spoilers ahead. In this installment of the Hollows series, we meet lots of new characters, say interesting goodbyes and even better hellos, and we go in deep with new plots. You may have noticed my four star rating and that may confuse you considering this is my favorite series. That being said, I enjoyed this book but it's not one of my favorites. I'll explain later. I always start with my good feelings on it.

Soooo, I love the budding new alliance between Trent and
Lauren
Every Which Way But Dead
4 Stars

There is a lot going on in Rachel’s life as she deals with becoming Algaliarept’s familiar, Nick’s aloofness, Ivy’s possessiveness, Kisten’s advances, Jenks’s hurt feelings as well as a possible Were stalker, a dangerous extortionist and last but not least, Trent Kalamack’s mysterious machinations. With all this, its amazing that she hasn’t lost her mind yet … or has she?

The majority of the book revolves around introducing new characters and developing existing one
Ne
Nov 04, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: biblioteca
De longe o melhor dos três (até agora) foi prejudicado, mas não o suficiente, pelos constantes erros de edição. Falta de letras, troca de nomes das personagens, etc.
Mas... nada disto prejudica Kim Harrison, porque para mim ela tem um dom. É talvez das histórias mais bem desenvolvidas no campo da ficção e principalmente da temática mágica e vampirica. Ela consegue misturar mil e uma espécies, mil e um problemas, mil e um sentimentos, tudo assim... cheio de "mil e uns".
Rachel Morgan é uma personag
Urban Fantasy ser...: May SRA: EVERY WHICH WAY BUT DEAD by Kim Harrison 1 10 May 05, 2016 02:22PM
2-3-4 Challenge B...: Question G 8 9 May 09, 2015 12:37AM
2-3-4 Challenge B...: Question L 9 6 May 08, 2015 09:59AM
2-3-4 Challenge B...: Question K 8 5 May 08, 2015 09:58AM
2-3-4 Challenge B...: Question O 6 5 May 08, 2015 09:20AM
2-3-4 Challenge B...: Question I 5 3 May 06, 2015 09:33AM
  • Magic Bleeds (Kate Daniels, #4)
  • Embrace the Night (Cassandra Palmer, #3)
  • Kitty Goes to Washington (Kitty Norville, #2)
  • Unholy Magic (Downside Ghosts, #2)
  • The Taste of Night (Signs of the Zodiac, #2)
  • Iron Kissed (Mercy Thompson, #3)
  • Blood Cross (Jane Yellowrock, #2)
  • An Artificial Night (October Daye, #3)
  • Venom (Elemental Assassin, #3)
  • Another One Bites the Dust (Jaz Parks, #2)
  • Haunted (Women of the Otherworld, #5)
  • Chill Factor (Weather Warden, #3)
Kim Harrison, author of the New York Times #1 best selling Hollows series, was born in Detroit and lived most her her life within an easy drive. She's currently working on a variety of projects to see what finds a home first, and when not at her desk, is most likely to be found landscaping her new/old Victorian home, or in the garden.
Kim reaches out to her audience at Facebook https://www.facebook
More about Kim Harrison...

The Hollows (1 - 10 of 13 books)
  • Dead Witch Walking (The Hollows, #1)
  • The Good, the Bad, and the Undead (The Hollows, #2)
  • A Fistful of Charms (The Hollows, #4)
  • For a Few Demons More (The Hollows, #5)
  • The Outlaw Demon Wails (The Hollows, #6)
  • White Witch, Black Curse (The Hollows, #7)
  • Black Magic Sanction (The Hollows, #8)
  • Pale Demon (The Hollows, #9)
  • A Perfect Blood (The Hollows, #10)
  • Ever After (The Hollows, #11)

“And then there are the rare ones who know love, who understand it. Who freely give of themselves, demanding only a return of that love,that trust.” 502 likes
“Hey, ah, does anyone want a cookie or something? Oh yeah. A cookie. That would make everything better. Dunked in a shot of tequila , maybe? Or better yet, just the bottle? Yeah, that ought to do it.” 378 likes