Start by marking “Hellbound” as Want to Read:
Hellbound

Hellbound

(Hellbound #1)

His crimes - unforgivable. His death - inevitable. His suffering - just beginning.

Obadiah Stark aka The Tally Man, is executed at ADX Absolom, his death sentence watched by the world's media, victim relatives and one investigative reporter, Joe O Connell. Penning an account of Stark's personal history and subsequent crimes in the hope of determining what elements make the
Paperback, First, 300 pages
Published November 28th 2014 by Britains Next Bestseller

To ask other readers questions about Hellbound, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Hellbound

Start your review of Hellbound
Maxine (Booklover Catlady)
Obadiah Stark aka The Tally Man is the world's worst serial killer and he's heading for death by lethal injection, the supposed end punishment to his hideous rampage of torture and killing across two continents. This is a man who has evil running through his veins and as a reader you get to "feel" that from page one...I knew I was in for a fantastic read from the first paragraph and I was not wrong.

This book pulsates with energy, as we are pulled into the world of Obadiah and into his mind via t
Lyn❤Loves❤Listening #AUDIOBOOKADDICT
Audio 5 Stars
Story 4.5 Stars

As I was listening to the audio, I kept thinking "this story could be a loosely based mind fuck serial killer version of Charles Dickens A Christmas Carol" 😁
Miriam Smith
Dec 06, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: kept-book, signed
Hellbound' by David McCaffrey is a shocking thriller about Obadiah Stark who is responsible for the murder of 27 women. He keeps a tally of his murders on a gruesome tattoo on his back. Tried and sentenced to death at a supermax penitentiary, everybody thinks it is all over. But it's not. The execution marks the start of a deja-vu thought provoking journey between heaven and hell.
Obadiah Stark (nicknamed The Tally Man) is a great name for a serial killer and since he is an exceptional one of a k
Miriam Smith
Sep 17, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Magdalena aka A Bookaholic Swede
Serial killer Obadiah Stark, aka The Tally Man, is executed at ADX Absolom. The executed is watched my media and relatives of the victim. One of the reporters there is Joe O'Connell who is planning on writing a book about Obadiah.

This should be it, the just death of a dangerous killer. But Obadiah wakes up in an afterlife in his hometown with a wife and daughter. His first instinct is to kill and after taking five lives is his gunned down by the police only to wake up finding everything has rese
J. Kahele
Mar 04, 2016 rated it really liked it
At times, I found the altering POV’s, to be quite confusing. I felt if this story had only been through Obadiah Starks, POV, it would have been way more compelling. The writing was phenomenal and the descriptive narrative of Obadiah Stark, outstanding.
The story begins with the execution of sadistic and feared serial killer, Obadiah Stark. I often wondered what happens to a person after their death, if there really is an afterlife. For Obadiah, his afterlife was quite opposite of his life before.
Noelle
Jul 30, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
All reviews can be found on my blog https://www.crimebookjunkie.co.uk

Well OMFG what a deviously delicious story to devour! I cannot even find the words to describe how much I absolutely LOVED this book…but I will try!

The book starts out in a fictional prison – Absolom and is mainly set in Ireland. The reader is doused with themes such as: fear; manipulation; power; the past; loss; nature vs nuture; retribution and a clever dose of morality – what drives an individual to make the choices they do
Raven
Jan 01, 2015 rated it really liked it
Hellbound, by debut novelist David McCaffrey, quickly reveals itself as a serial killer thriller that goes beyond the normal tropes of the genre. Moreover, what transpires between its pages, is an intelligent and balanced exploration of the possibility of love and redemption for those capable of the most heinous acts. The book is punctuated by not only the psychological reports undertaken on Stark after his capture, but also by the omniscient narrator’s observations on the death penalty and the ...more
Sep 03, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fiction
Hellbound is an extremely dark, warped and twisted read.

Even after reading the blurb to this book I did not expect the chilling ride this story would take me on.

The story flicks between three people, Obadiah Stark himself, Joe a reporter who has become quite obsessed with Obadiah and Dr John Franklin who assessed Obadiah and his part in the book is through his reports.

Hellbound mainly being about a serial murderer there is some quite chilling and gruesome parts in this book yet it did not turn m
Mandy
I was going to rate this 3.5 as I found the writers style and vocabulary a little clunky at times and there was quite a few typos/errors in my kindle copy, but the ending made this a 4 star read.

Great story with a character to hate in Obadiah and a sympathetic journalist in Joe. Although you felt you knew where the story was going, that ending, loved it, it made me chuckle and I will be interested to read future McCaffrey stories.
Shannon
May 26, 2016 rated it it was amazing
With a name that means Servant of God, Obadiah couldn’t be further from it, the world’s worst serial killer. Feeling nothing for his victims or their families. Adopting the name of The Tally Man defining him, keeping a tally of his victims on his body.
He’s on his way to death, with no guilt, remorse or even a care. He’s ready to embrace it.

But all is not as it seems, Obadiah along with us the reader are thrown into a new world; he has a wife and child. No one knows him as the Tally Man.

Joe an in
Elke
Mar 06, 2016 rated it really liked it
The premise of this novel had me hooked immediately: after execution of his death sentence, serial killer Obadiah Stark wakes up to find that he might not really be dead... Instead, he finds himself in a home with a wife and little daughter. After some, err, experiments which show that he wakes up again on the same day, in the same situation, he starts thinking that maybe this weird afterlife isn't so bad at all. He experiences what it means to care and be cared for, strange concepts that have b ...more
Robert Enright
Apr 05, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Hellbound - My Review

This was a book I had wanted to read for a long time, having seen the wonderful review it received on Crime Book Club. The idea was right up my street, a very dark thriller about the afterlife faced by the worlds most notorious serial killer and the conspiracy around his death. So I finally got round to reading it and ladies and gentleman - this book is a must read!

David McCaffrey blows you away with a debut novel that is not only as violent and gruesome as it is compelling,
Abby Slater- Fairbrother
Feb 09, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I won a signed copy of Hellbound via a fb event for author Adam Nevill’s latest release ‘under a watchful eye’. This is my honest review.
I don’t know really where to start with this one! It was so strange & weird, yet I totally mean that in the good way! Firstly I tried to work out the genre crime/horror/supernatural/sci-fi but it just felt as though it has taken the best parts from all these genres! Which is insane!
At the start I found it difficult to get into but by 50 pages, that drasticall
Linda Strong
Mar 08, 2016 rated it really liked it
Obadiah Stark (Tally Man) is a heinous, sadistic serial killer. He is executed with many witnesses attending, including Joe O'Connell, an investigative reporter. Joe has followed Obadiah's crimes since the beginning. He's planning a book that includes his childhood and details of all his killings.

Looking for the things that make a sick mind tick, Joe comes across some clues that just don't add up.

Obadiah wakes up in the afterlife. He remembers the pain of being executed, but he has no memory of
Mark Tilbury
This is one extraordinary book.
What is justice? What punishment fits the crime?

Here Obadiah is a serial killer on death row and Joe is a reporter interested in reporting different aspects of Obadiah's case than his peers. The story alternates between Obadiah and Joe, with case notes interspersed to give Obadiah's criminal history and back story. This worked well and kept my interest in both characters.

The story was well written and the characters well developed. The real talent the author has th
Donna Maria
Mar 24, 2016 rated it it was amazing
There are few books that I have read when afterwards I need to pick them up and read again! Hellbound is one, alongside Hilary Mantel's Bring up the bodies... Two very distinct books but both equally breath-taking.... Obadiah Stark, a sociopath in my eyes, is the most complex and intriguing character I have ever come across and the genius of David McCaffrey has you feel not only sheer terror at his abject malevolence but also, strangely, compassion at the very end...
This book will not only keep
Gayathri
May 09, 2016 rated it really liked it
Read the complete review at: Musings Over Nothing

There are three Point of Views (PoV) in the story; the afterlife of Stark with his family, Joe's investigation about the irregularities related to Stark's death in real time and the fact sheet based on the Dr. John Franklin's psychological profiling of Stark right from his childhood. Though there were places I felt the shift among the PoVs little abrupt and disturbing the flow of the narration, they bring together the past, the present and the fut
Zoe Hartgen
Mar 03, 2016 rated it liked it
I wasn't quite sure where this book would take me when I started, it begins with an execution and ends with one to. Everything in between was gripping, an eye-opener and thought provoking for me. I can understand that capital punishment is a tough subject to write about but with the twist to this one was completely out of the blue.

The writing style had me gripped, and the "interview" sections with the serial killer was a complete new take for me. All of the psychological paragraphs and that I sk
Elisa
Dec 12, 2015 rated it really liked it
An intriguing novel about crime, redemption and justice. Obadiah Stark is one of the most brutal serial murderers ever, but his execution is only the beginning. After his death by lethal injection, he wakes up to the life he never had. Why is this happening? I figured out part of what was going on, but some of the twists still surprised me. It's a little bit disturbing how compelling I found Obadiah, even if he is a despicable person. This is a highly original read.
Jane James
Mar 25, 2018 rated it it was amazing
A thoroughly grown up serial-killer thriller.
I’ve had this book sitting on my bookcase for the best part of a year and now having devoured it in a couple of days, I could kick myself for not reading it sooner. I was completely blown away by this book, which isn’t your average serial-killer thriller. In fact, there is nothing average about it – the story is original and the build-up and tension exceptional. It really is a thought provoking, brilliantly referenced piece of work that I will definit
Sue Wallace
Oct 03, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Hellbound the tally man by david McCaffrey.
Obadiah Stark is going down for the lethal injection. He ruthlessly murdered 27 womxen. But when he is given the injection he wakes up in a bed. Where is he? Is he alive still? Joe is a journalist working on a book about Stark. Also dr john franklin who writes his reports about who Stark is. What's going on?
Omg. What a dark and gory and seriously twisted. But I loved it. I was engrossed in it. Couldn't put it down. I didn't expect that. Onto book 2. Th
Anthony
Mar 06, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Hellbound by David McCaffrey Review

Disclaimer: I received a free copy of this book from the author and Booklover Catlady Publicity in return for a fair and honest review.
Many thanks

Evil has a new face in author David McCaffrey's sensational novel, "Hellbound." This book is a thrilling tale that explores both the complex mind
of a serial killer and the effects he has on the world.

The story follows Obadiah Stark, aka "The Tally Man", a ruthless serial killer who is facing execution at ADX Absolom,
Babus Ahmed
Nov 21, 2015 rated it really liked it
Notorious serial killer Obadiah Stark is on death row at maximum security prison Absolom ADX located on one of The Blasket Islands off the coast of Ireland. Joe O'Connell, reporter for The Daily Eire is covering the execution, where relatives of Stark's victim's watch him die. However, after the execution during routine fact checking Joe finds discrepancies that he cannot explain leading him down an investigative path he can scarcely believe. In the meantime Stark ends up living the same day ove ...more
Louise
Dec 03, 2014 rated it it was amazing
When Obadiah Stark wakes from his execution he thinks he has woken into some sort of hell, he doesn’t understand his feelings or why he would be given another chance only to die a natural death.

‘Hellbound’ is on my top ten list of books I would read over and over again, not many make the list but I loved it from start to finish. The author David McCaffrey has covered the controversial subject of the death penalty and right from the very start you wonder if you can truly make a murderer like Obad
Emma
Mar 07, 2016 rated it really liked it
Obadiah Stark is a name which will stick in my mind for some time, I can tell you! Never have I met such an arrogant murderous character in a book (and I've read Silence of the Lambs). It was brilliant! This is a great read which I thoroughly enjoyed.

Stark is a serial killer with no remorse, even when faced with a lethal injection. The families of those he killed want something from him, some show of regret or emotion but it just won't come. He knows what he's done and he enjoyed every moment of
Misfits farm
Mar 08, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Obadiah, a serial killer, is given the death penalty and then finds himself in another life.
Obadiah is suffering groundhog days and is married with a child- the antithesis of his former life. The first day he goes on a killing spree and is shocked on the second day to find those people alive and well, no one knowing who he is. He discovers that he has a malignant brain tumour which causes a change of personality, bad dreams and character changes- could this be the key? Is there a real man undern
Andrew Males
Jan 01, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Well-executed

It's not often a serial killer story starts with and continues from the murderer's execution. Right from the prologue however, you realise that this is no ordinary thriller, that Obadiah's fate is different. His story is expertly woven with reporter Jack's, building the suspense as the plot expands until it descends into a dark pit of deceit and cover-ups.
It is clear that the world described isn't what it seems, and a dark, Groundhog Day-esque manipulation of Obadiah adds to an intr
Emily Hercock
Feb 11, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Would make an incredible movie! I'm serious, this book if made into a movie would get me to the cinema as soon as it was released!
I was hooked from the first page. Read it in two days.
I'm very impressed by the way that David captured a monster(obadiah stark a.k.a the tally man) and brought us to almost see him as a man but wasn't afraid to end the book with the reality of the crimes committed by obadiah stark.and their consequences.
Honestly the best book I've read in a few years.
I only hope this

• Run
  • By Any Means Necessary
  • The Other People
  • The Wife Stalker
  • The Regret
  • If You Tell: A True Story of Murder, Family Secrets, and the Unbreakable Bond of Sisterhood
  • Mr. Nobody
  • Into the Darkness
  • Haven't They Grown
  • The Five: The Lives of Jack the Ripper's Women
  • Seven Days
  • Abandon
  • Jaded (DI Rosalind Kray #4)
  • The Better Liar
  • The Argument
  • Sister Dear
  • Thirteen (Eddie Flynn, #4)
  • Couldn't Cheat Death (Paul Monroe Mystery #1)
David lives in Redcar in the North East of England and most recently worked as an Infection Prevention and Control nurse in a local Acute trust. He has a Kelly, a Jake, a Liam a Baby Moo on the way and an Obi.

A huge fan of Steve Alten, John Grisham and Lee Childs, David loves reading as much as he enjoys writing. Hellbound was his first novel, all thanks to Britain's Next Bestseller and the aforem

Hellbound (4 books)